Cruyff 1974 and 1978 world cups

Professor Yaffle

Official Ticketer

One for the older bears or Dutch fanatics.

I can't remember the 74 world Cup but Cruyff was sensational and the Netherlands lost the final to the Germans who were also a great team. I think neutrals wanted Cruyff and his team that included the likes of Neeskins to win and the Cruyff turn was born in that tournament.

The following tournament in Argentina, Cruyff had chucked it for some reason. This was the tournament where Gemmell scored his famous solo goal v Holland but even minus Cruyff they still had a great team and reached the final again and again it was to be v the hosts.

Argentina eventually won 3 1 but I wonder had Cruyff not been absent would they have won it and what was his issue with the Dutch coach?

It was certainly a great era for the Dutch team but they won nothing despite having some amazing talent like Cruyff, Krol, Neeskins, Rep, Haan and the Van de Kerkofs amongst others.

Cruyff played in the qualifiers for the ‘78 World Cup but then refused to travel with the Dutch squad to Argentina.

With Pele retired and Maradona still to stamp his mark on the game, Cruyff was football’s biggest name.

He was still only 31 at the time so would have gone into the tournament as its star player.

There had been rumours his absence was down to a falling out with the Dutch FA or opposition to Argentina’s right wing government, but he himself states it was due to a kidnap attempt on his family.

The Netherlands should have won it in 1974. They had an early penalty and then started showboating a bit as they knew they were the better team. The English ref, Jack Taylor, gave West Germany a dodgy penalty to equalise and then Gerd Muller scored the winner.
I believe Cruyff would not go to the 1978 World Cup because of threats of kidnap in Argentina.

Slightly OT but the Argies got up to all sorts of black arts prior to the 78 final. Allowing the Dutch to take the field on their own before kick off to be intimidated by a very hostile crowd. Then complaining about the bandage on the injured wrist of one od the van der Kerkhof twins, further delaying things. Hopefully wouldn't happen these days.

For me Cruyff was the best player in the world, ahead of Pele , Maradona etc. He didn't go to 78 WC because threats to kidnap his wife if he did, Cruyff was told be police it was a genuine threat that he shouldn't ignore

Best player i ever saw, and maybe the best team (74 Holland).
At the time of the 78 World Cup it was widely reported that Cruyff was at odds with the Dutch FA over sponsorship and pay.
The Dutch , it always seems, are never far away from some act of dis-harmony that shoots them in the foot.
Cant help but think Cruyff would have been better telling the world about the kidnap attempt.

Did Holland not have a problem with adidas in 1978 and some of the players had only two stripes on their jerseys?
Cryuff had a sponsorship with Puma so he only had two stripes on his Netherlands shirt.

However, Cruyff had an exclusive personal deal with PUMA. His deal and loyalty to the brand meant that he refused to wear an Adidas kit as per the instructions by the Dutch FA. They had believed they didn’t need to run their decision past any of their players, including their superstar captain Cruyff.

IMHO the greatest ever especially his thoughts on the game and the legacy he has left behind. Saw him at Ibrox in 73 and he was sensational. It could only happen to the Dutch that those two finals were against the host nations. In the "if only" camp had Holland scored in extra time and not hit the post in '78 I think they would have won. Re his thoughts on the game Google "Cryuff Quotes" as it's an entertaining read. Also read his book My Turn and you will realise what a thinker he was on the game.

Cryuff had a sponsorship with Puma so he only had two stripes on his Netherlands shirt.

However, Cruyff had an exclusive personal deal with PUMA. His deal and loyalty to the brand meant that he refused to wear an Adidas kit as per the instructions by the Dutch FA. They had believed they didn’t need to run their decision past any of their players, including their superstar captain Cruyff.
Cheers for that.

Slightly OT but the Argies got up to all sorts of black arts prior to the 78 final. Allowing the Dutch to take the field on their own before kick off to be intimidated by a very hostile crowd. Then complaining about the bandage on the injured wrist of one od the van der Kerkhof twins, further delaying things. Hopefully wouldn't happen these days.
Always seemed to be a question mark over the match v Peru being rigged
Probably not uncommon in South America during that era

IMHO the greatest ever especially his thoughts on the game and the legacy he has left behind. Saw him at Ibrox in 73 and he was sensational. It could only happen to the Dutch that those two finals were against the host nations. In the "if only" camp had Holland scored in extra time and not hit the post in '78 I think they would have won. Re his thoughts on the game Google "Cryuff Quotes" as it's an entertaining read. Also read his book My Turn and you will realise what a thinker he was on the game.

When he broke into the ajax team at 17 he was running about the park telling the older players what they should be doing!

Hows that for confidence?

For me Cruyff was the best player in the world, ahead of Pele , Maradona etc. He didn't go to 78 WC because threats to kidnap his wife if he did, Cruyff was told be police it was a genuine threat that he shouldn't ignore
Makes you wonder how much other dodgy stuff goes on that we don't know about. The two Escobars' documentary was a good example of threats towards players and their families.

Remember these tournaments when the Dutch were playing everyone gathered around the tv expecting a show; and were seldom disappointed. They were outstanding.

That’s why the deciding matches are played at the same time now.
JL, there was a game four years later in Spain, too; that stank the place out. Think it involved Austria needing a 0-0 to put out a team that had already played their final group fixture, and what followed was basically a training kickabout.

Yes,that was in Spain.
It was probably that game that changed it.
W. Germany v Austria. W.Germany needed a win and Austria needed to avoid a defeat of more than 1 goal to for both to go through at Algeria's expense. At 1-0 to W.G. they stopped playing and strolled around the pitch.

On the original point of the silky Netherlands: They could be proper nawty too. Heres a short clip from '74:-

For me he was right up there with Pele and George Best probably the most intelligent football player of his generation can always remember him saying sometimes it’s better to do nothing just watch the opposition and assess their strengths and weaknesses then react.He had an unerring knack of popping up in the right positions either scoring or laying on a chance for someone else he was the complete player tough as nails quick, wirey,two footed,perfect balance,great goal scorer could’ve played in any era and he thought our DJ was a great player.

W. Germany v Austria. W.Germany needed a win and Austria needed to avoid a defeat of more than 1 goal to for both to go through at Algeria's expense. At 1-0 to W.G. they stopped playing and strolled around the pitch.

On the original point of the silky Netherlands: They could be proper nawty too. Heres a short clip from '74:-

Watched this at a school pal`s house with his Da shouting `ya dirty c*nt` at the Brazilian right back :))
It wasn`t in the Brazilian script to be outplayed, but what they probably didn`t expect was when they resorted to dark arts, the Dutch could give as good as they got.
Some amount of two footed modern day red cards in that clip; amongst other thuggery.

Arguably the Dutch's star player of the 1978 tournament was the late Rob Rensenbrink. He had played against us for DWS Amsterdam in the late 60's, and by all accounts we were very interested in signing him. Weirdly DWS are now an amateur club.

Watched this at a school pal`s house with his Da shouting `ya dirty c*nt` at the Brazilian right back :))
It wasn`t in the Brazilian script to be outplayed, but what they probably didn`t expect was when they resorted to dark arts, the Dutch could give as good as they got.
Some amount of two footed modern day red cards in that clip; amongst other thuggery.
Going off topic here but here goes.

After the kicking Brazil took in '66 they decided they were not returning to a European WC without some "heavy hands". Their opening game against Yugoslavia was constantly interrupted by foul play. Their game against us was also filthy (Rivelino in particular). Tackling and off ball aggro had some journos describing our game vs Brazil as something out of the English fourth division.

Anyway, back to Cruyff - My take at the time was there were serious security warnings in '78. I remember him as the player who thought several moves ahead of everyone else and had the skills to make the most of it. A truly graceful player and a genius.

Even though he is regarded as one of the all time greats I still think he is way under-rated.

Just as an add on that West German team was brilliant as well,full of great players

People easily forget that.

They were the reigning European champions and boasted world class talent like Beckenbauer, Muller, Breitner, Hoeness, etc.

As ever with the Germans though, there’s always that impression of them being ruthlessly efficient rather than breathtaking, whereas the Dutch were seen as full of flair and creativity and won the hearts of the watching millions as a result.

Just as with the Hungarians in ‘54 and the Brazilians in ‘82, that doesn’t always win the day however.

Remember Cruyff sent Tom Forsyth(?) sliding off the pitch with a brilliant pull back on the goal line at Ibrox.
Up there with the very best of all time.
Just read it was DJ.

I was privileged to see both Maradona and Cruyff play in the 70s.
In terms of natural ability he had no more than Maradona but his influence on the game in general was far greater. A very intelligent player and person, I’ve read his book and he certainly knew how good he was, he didn’t seem to have much regard for anyone who didn’t see things his way.

Nothing will convince me that the 1978 World Cup wasn't fixed. The Argies knew they'd won it before a ball was even kicked. As still a teenager then and quite naive about the black arts in football, even I could see the Argies were receiving a free run to the Final.

Nothing will convince me that the 1978 World Cup wasn't fixed. The Argies knew they'd won it before a ball was even kicked. As still a teenager then and quite naive about the black arts in football, even I could see the Argies were receiving a free run to the Final.
Not quite- Italy beat them in the first group stage meaning they didn't stay at the Monumental and went up river to Rosario to meet Brazil in the second round. This left an entirely European group of W.G. Neterlands, Austria & Italy to go to Buenos Aires.

On the first group stage - I'm convinced the Dutch threw the game against us to get into the all Euro second stage, avoiding Argentina and Brazil in the second round.

I think that’s a little unfair on them.

There’s no doubt they benefited from some questionable refereeing decisions and the match against Peru looked glaringly rigged, but they were still a good team.

In Kempes they had the standout player of the tournament and others like Passarella, Ardiles, Bertoni, etc were no slouches either.

Had Menotti bowed to fan pressure and included an 18 year-old Diego Maradona in his squad, they may have been even more deserving of the trophy.

I think that’s a little unfair on them.

There’s no doubt they benefited from some questionable refereeing decisions and the match against Peru looked glaringly rigged, but they were still a good team.

In Kempes they had the standout player of the tournament and others like Passarella, Ardiles, Bertoni, etc were no slouches either.

Had Menotti bowed to fan pressure and included an 18 year-old Diego Maradona in his squad, they may have been even more deserving of the trophy.

The Argies had an amazing team, mate. The way they were reffed during that 1978 World Cup was the first time watching football that I'd ever thought that there was something not quite right going on. The end of the innocence, I suppose.

the greatest all round player of all, Cruyff could attack, score, defend, sit as a 4, play as a 10, play as a winger or a wingback, he was a genius.

The Argies had an amazing team, mate. The way they were reffed during that 1978 World Cup was the first time watching football that I'd ever thought that there was something not quite right going on. The end of the innocence, I suppose.

A little bit off topic but, the idea that Maradona was too young for the emotional pressures of the World Cup never really washed with me.

I remember being disappointed he wasn’t included after seeing footage of him prior to the finals that summer (he was also included in Panini’s World Cup 78 sticker album from what I remember).

The following summer we all saw just how incredible a talent he was and when the tournament of ‘78 rolled around he already had several caps under his belt and was the top scorer in Argentine football.

It was said Menotti had to choose between Kempes or Maradona, but as much as the older player was the undoubted star at the time, when Maradona was left out of the final 22 there was a huge outcry throughout Argentina.

If anything, Menotti, who openly opposed the military junta, spared Maradona from any potential backlash had the squad failed to win the trophy.

When he broke into the ajax team at 17 he was running about the park telling the older players what they should be doing!

Hows that for confidence?
Saw him age 36 against us at Ibrox for Fayenoord. First striker I saw not bother the keeper with kick outs. He just turned around telling each player they need to be on the field instead. There are leaders, then there is Cryuff. Wasn't surprised when he became a coaching great as well

Back