Cruyff 1974 and 1978 world cups

I think that’s a little unfair on them.

There’s no doubt they benefited from some questionable refereeing decisions and the match against Peru looked glaringly rigged, but they were still a good team.

In Kempes they had the standout player of the tournament and others like Passarella, Ardiles, Bertoni, etc were no slouches either.

Had Menotti bowed to fan pressure and included an 18 year-old Diego Maradona in his squad, they may have been even more deserving of the trophy.
I think Diego was 17 and turned 18 after the tournament was done but would have been great if he'd played.

Played v us for Feyenoord along with a young Rudd Guilit, think it was his last game in Britain

I was at this game in 1983 where Cruyff and Gullet play together at Love Street in the UEFA Cup.

I think that was the game where Gullet said it was the worst racist abuse he faced during his career.

I was at this game in 1983 where Cruyff and Gullet play together at Love Street in the UEFA Cup.

I think that was the game where Gullet said it was the worst racist abuse he faced during his career.
Yes absolutely correct.
My mate at work was a big St.Mirren fan and he got me tickets to the game.

Plot thickens.

A couple of articles worth a read - I'll always be convinced that WC was rigged. A quote I remember at the time which summed it up for me was "Argentina wanted to win but they made it too obvious."

That’s why the deciding matches are played at the same time now.
I thought that was brought in after W Germany v Austria in 1982.

The Netherlands should have won it in 1974. They had an early penalty and then started showboating a bit as they knew they were the better team. The English ref, Jack Taylor, gave West Germany a dodgy penalty to equalise and then Gerd Muller scored the winner.
I believe Cruyff would not go to the 1978 World Cup because of threats of kidnap in Argentina.
I believe it’s in his autobiography, which I started reading then stopped, about rumors of his kidnapping.
Must go back and finish.

As far fall outs.
Tell me a tournament where the Dutch or French didn’t fall out with their respective FA’s!

Cryuff was before my time as a player, but his book " My turn " is an excellent read.
As for the world cups 1978 is the first I remember, a sad day for football when one of the best,if not the best player on the planet can't play at a World Cup because of threats to him and his family.

As an aside,according to George Best, Cryuff was very over rated!

Cruyff really was the Dutch Master.
But the term ‘total football’ was the way the Dutch played.
This system originated arguably in club football, with Ajax in the early 70’s.
Managed, and coached by the late great Rinus Michels.
This system was where almost every player could play in every position, is what made them the standout team of ‘74 WC.It would take to ‘88 where they finally won a tournament.
The European Championship under Cruyff’s mentor.Who else. Rinus Michels.With Gullitt, Van Basten, Muhren and Co.

Probably the most famous of the Cruyff turns was in the 1974 WC against Brazil.
He sent the defender running the wrong way in the very ground Rangers will be playing on Thursday.

Cryuff was before my time as a player, but his book " My turn " is an excellent read.
As for the world cups 1978 is the first I remember, a sad day for football when one of the best,if not the best player on the planet can't play at a World Cup because of threats to him and his family.

As an aside,according to George Best, Cryuff was very over rated!
Best was a wonderful player, but had an oversized conceit of himself.

IMHO the greatest ever especially his thoughts on the game and the legacy he has left behind. Saw him at Ibrox in 73 and he was sensational. It could only happen to the Dutch that those two finals were against the host nations. In the "if only" camp had Holland scored in extra time and not hit the post in '78 I think they would have won. Re his thoughts on the game Google "Cryuff Quotes" as it's an entertaining read. Also read his book My Turn and you will realise what a thinker he was on the game.
Yes,I'd probably say he's the greatest, certainly in the top handful.
Don't know if he'd have got a place in the mighty Blues 2011 Carling cup winners team though.:)

Back