Current Ibrox Stadium Problems and Future Redevelopments

Able bodied fans can sit anywhere. They have choices. Disabled fans don't. It's time they were treated like a part of the Rangers support rather than be seen as a problem.

Some able bodied fans are stuck in shit seats out in all weathers because that's where their ST is.

Also there will be 250 seats for disabled fans and that's great but what about disabled fan No 251? Where does he go?

One of the things I dont like about this debate is the way emotional blackmail is used to try to shame others.

Get the disabled seats in place Rangers then concentrate on making the matchday experience better for the other 50k including those that want to stand.

Some able bodied fans are stuck in shit seats out in all weathers because that's where their ST is.

Also there will be 250 seats for disabled fans and that's great but what about disabled fan No 251? Where does he go?

One of the things I dont like about this debate is the way emotional blackmail is used to try to shame others.

Get the disabled seats in place Rangers then concentrate on making the matchday experience better for the other 50k including those that want to stand.
There is no emotional blackmail used anywhere. To put it simply, SOME people on here's take on the disabled section and everything that goes with it is disgusting.

Anything being built in wasteland around some parts our stadium is to welcomed imo.

As for the hemmed in argument we have plenty of room behind the Copland and Broomloan stands to a Liverpool type expansion if ever the money was available .
There is some room but not enough for proper long term expansion. We already have overhang to the turnstiles to create extra ground space. Remember that increasing the capacity would mean you need even more space for the extra people - it is already tight enough around Edmiston Dr / Copland and around the Broomloan/Govan corner after games.

We should be looking longer term to buy up land around the stadium including the school, sports complex, empty land at Hinshelwood soon to be Tim (ffs) Hortons, industrial units (at least partially) behind the Govan and the few behind the Broomloan and the old housing stock at Cairnlea/Harrison.

There is some room but not enough for proper long term expansion. We already have overhang to the turnstiles to create extra ground space. Remember that increasing the capacity would mean you need even more space for the extra people - it is already tight enough around Edmiston Dr / Copland and around the Broomloan/Govan corner after games.

We should be looking longer term to buy up land around the stadium including the school, sports complex, empty land at Hinshelwood soon to be Tim (ffs) Hortons, industrial units (at least partially) behind the Govan and the few behind the Broomloan and the old housing stock at Cairnlea/Harrison.
I take your points about it being tight already around a lot of the stadium ,the sports complex would be a great addition to property utilise on match days especially.
But as for all the other land that becomes available I don't really see the point unless its for car parking perhaps .

Certainly the sports complex I know we have taken out a lease arrangement on it but GCC/Glasgow Life are skint the Club should put more pressure on them to obtain that facility.

Yes, some able bodied fans have bad seats too. But they cam request seat transfers. Also, many more able bodied fans have great seats - how many wheelchair users can say the same?

As for 250+1, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make? We don't have infinite capacity in the disabled area or the general stadium population.

Yes, some able bodied fans have bad seats too. But they cam request seat transfers. Also, many more able bodied fans have great seats - how many wheelchair users can say the same?

As for 250+1, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make? We don't have infinite capacity in the disabled area or the general stadium population.

My point is some people use emotional blackmail to argue for better facilities for some but if there are too many then that argument no longer applies. Of course we need better facilities for disabled fans but only the first 250. The rest? Tough luck?

Not sure what to make of that.On the one hand good to see at least some sort of development of surrounding wasteland.

However it increasingly feels like our stadium is being hemmed in.
You could fit another Ibrox in the distance between Copland Rd and where they’re building this coffee place.

Is the feeling here that we’re going to decide to develop a 90k stadium and need all of this room?

The footprint of Ibrox is more than ample. We’ve occupied the same land for 120+ years without an issue.

Certainly the sports complex I know we have taken out a lease arrangement on it but GCC/Glasgow Life are skint the Club should put more pressure on them to obtain that facility.
Great point. If the council are having to charge to empty brown bins, then they shouldn’t be holding onto assets they can’t afford to run and maintain, especially when they’ll still have control over what it’s used for through the planning dept.

There is no emotional blackmail used anywhere. To put it simply, SOME people on here's take on the disabled section and everything that goes with it is disgusting.

There you go. "Disgusting"? If that's not designed as emotional bkackmail I dont know what is.

Im in favour of improved facilities for disabled fans in fact Im in favour of improved facilities for all fans but posts like yours are designed to kill discussion. A number of other subjects get the same treatment but I wont go there.

I have two grandchildren with autism so dont need lectures from the likes of you on special needs/disabilities.

If you think it’s tight around Ibrox, go to Newcastle or London. They keep building and making it work. Celtic have 10k more seats than us, with a far inferior infrastructure around their stadium. They don’t have 3 subway stations within walking distance or a motorway on their doorstep.

Rangers don’t have the money to buy up random patches of land without a clear revenue generating plan for them. Using them as overflow car parking 20x a season isn’t a business plan.

The footprint of Ibrox could comfortably accommodate another 5-15k seats, if we had the money to lift the roofs off and build up the way.

The turnstiles are overhung at the Govan stand because of Argyle house and the way the stand was built, not because we don’t have space. There’s a full road round the stadium plus car parking for hospitality that could be used to plant steel support beams on, if we ever needed to expand.

You’d find that people would make better decisions around how they got to the stadium if it got busier. I often take the car and park on Woodville or Brighton St at the wasteland. If it became too much of a pain, I’d get the tube or jump on a local supporters bus. When people say the infrastructure is stretched, what they mean is the immediately convenient parts. I drive past Govan subway/bus station every matchday. It’s a 10 min walk from the stadium and it’s deserted, because people would rather queue at Copland Rd. There’s plenty of buses heading in all directions down there but they don’t get used.

Last edited:
There you go. "Disgusting"? If that's not designed as emotional bkackmail I dont know what is.

Im in favour of improved facilities for disabled fans in fact Im in favour of improved facilities for all fans but posts like yours are designed to kill discussion. A number of other subjects get the same treatment but I wont go there.

I have two grandchildren with autism so dont need lectures from the likes of you on special needs/disabilities.
Stating fact is not in anyway, shape or form emotional blackmail.

And can you direct me to where i gave you any lectures?

No one claimed "stating fact" was emotional blackmail. Where did you dream that up?

My point is there are posters on here who use emotional blackmail to kill discussion on subjects like this. You yourself use the word "disgusting" to describe "some people's" take on the subject. Ive already told you that's emotional blackmail.

You do disabled people a diservice by applying such a description to the attitudes of others simply discussing the subject. I think you'd like to cancel them.

And I consider your approach to be condescending and lecturing.

No one claimed "stating fact" was emotional blackmail. Where did you dream that up?

My point is there are posters on here who use emotional blackmail to kill discussion on subjects like this. You yourself use the word "disgusting" to describe "some people's" take on the subject. Ive already told you that's emotional blackmail.

You do disabled people a diservice by applying such a description to the attitudes of others simply discussing the subject. I think you'd like to cancel them.

And I consider your approach to be condescending and lecturing.
What you tell me and what is fact are quite obviously two very different things and stating that some peoples views on this are disgusting is not emotional blackmail. It would be very silly to think it was.

And what you consider is entirely down to yourself

to do what exactly?

A defo think our disabled supporters deserve a better place to watch the game

The only problem a can foresee if the seats at the back of the stands are to be removed what happens when we play the other mob and big European nights when the whole ground stands up anyone with servere disabilities ie in a wheelchair won’t see the games

WATP

A defo think our disabled supporters deserve a better place to watch the game

The only problem a can foresee if the seats at the back of the stands are to be removed what happens when we play the other mob and big European nights when the whole ground stands up anyone with servere disabilities ie in a wheelchair won’t see the games

WATP
The platform will be higher up i think?

So even with everyone standing it wouldn’t matter

That’s great news a was just wondering how the disabled fans would see

Thanks very much for your reply much appreciated

WATP
It's also a way for the club to strangle the Union Bears by in effect preventing them from waving flags that are "too big".

Has their been any official news on this proposed disabled platform at rear of lower stands?
You would think with renewals due out soon their would be some sort of statement for those seats involved.

Has their been any official news on this proposed disabled platform at rear of lower stands?
You would think with renewals due out soon their would be some sort of statement for those seats involved notified.
There’s talk now that it’s been delayed but after the way it was announced and trumpeted at the AGM if it’s kicked down the road again it will not be a good look at all from our board.

There’s talk now that it’s been delayed but after the way it was announced and trumpeted at the AGM if it’s kicked down the road again it will not be a good look at all from our board.

The board knew what they were doing and have played this to suit them. The AGM in 2021 showed them up for the lack of facilities in and around the stadium for our disabled supporters which is nothing short of a disgrace. They said they’d change it.

So with the AGM last December 2022, I can’t help but now feel that it was something just to show they are looking into it and for me it was delaying tactics. They covered their arse at the 2022 AGM by saying they are still waiting for final checks to be done. No chance could they have not addressed.

They had a year to sort it and get it arranged. I just can’t see it happening as quickly as they are proposing.

It was clearly smoke and mirrors from them.

The board knew what they were doing. The AGM in 2021 showed them up for the lack of facilities in and around the stadium for our disabled supporters which is nothing short of a disgrace. They said they’d change it.

So with the AGM last December 2022, I can’t help but now feel that it was something just to show they are looking into it and for me it was delaying tactics. They covered their arse at the 2022 AGM by saying they are still waiting for final checks to be done.

They had a year to sort it and get it arranged. I just can’t see it happening as quickly as they are proposing. It was clearly smoke and mirrors from them.
Probably to take pressure of them?

The board knew what they were doing and have played this to suit them. The AGM in 2021 showed them up for the lack of facilities in and around the stadium for our disabled supporters which is nothing short of a disgrace. They said they’d change it.

So with the AGM last December 2022, I can’t help but now feel that it was something just to show they are looking into it and for me it was delaying tactics. They covered their arse at the 2022 AGM by saying they are still waiting for final checks to be done. No chance could they have not addressed.

They had a year to sort it and get it arranged. I just can’t see it happening as quickly as they are proposing.

It was clearly smoke and mirrors from them.
That’s probably true and if it is the case then it is an absolute disgrace and I say that as someone who normally is sympathetic to our board.

If they let the disabled down with this yet again it will be the final straw for a lot of fans especially given what was said at the AGM.

A mate in BF4 emailed the club regarding the new disabled sections and in the reply said it will be completed over a few seasons.

Was in the govan rear on Sunday for the legends game , £700 plus for the view I get , the concourse and toilets are a disgrace though, I was shocked
I tend to buy tickets around the stadium for friendlies just to get a different view. It’s actually shocking how run down most of the concourses are. It’s no surprise the best facilities are in the club deck

They could be doing with changing the posters from the 00s and giving the place a paint. Even the discoloured seats look terrible but not the biggest issue

IMO Ibrox capacity will not be significantly increased in my lifetime. The cost is just too high, then you add in the plethora of issues like space etc.

What it does need, and has done for over a decade is some serious TLC. We've done bits and bobs the past couple of years with hospitality etc to bring money in, but the general areas in the stadium are quite frankly disgusting. The outside is manky, the dugouts are always bogging on top, faded seats, half the cladding being done etc

I tend to buy tickets around the stadium for friendlies just to get a different view. It’s actually shocking how run down most of the concourses are. It’s no surprise the best facilities are in the club deck

They could be doing with changing the posters from the 00s and giving the place a paint. Even the discoloured seats look terrible but not the biggest issue
Aye it’s poor mate , my seasons the govan front , still looks ok in there

You would think with renewals due out soon their would be some sort of statement for those seats involved.
They will be shitting it from the backlash of those who are going to be moved and will leave it as late as possible before telling people they are being moved.

They really should have planned to do the cantilevers at the same time so people just move there and massively reduce any inconvenience
Exactly, probably have now realised how many people sit together in the affected areas and the penny has dropped where we going to put them knowing there are very few seats together available at Ibrox. I think they are going to have to do a complete seat reset for the season after next.

Exactly, probably have now realised how many people sit together in the affected areas and the penny has dropped where we going to put them knowing there are very few seats together available at Ibrox. I think they are going to have to do a complete seat reset for the season after next.
I know the club can move season ticket holders if they want but how do you square that circle of relocating 45000 to appease 1000, if the reason for doing so it’s to avoid upsetting people?

I know the club can move season ticket holders if they want but how do you square that circle of relocating 45000 to appease 1000, if the reason for doing so it’s to avoid upsetting people?

SRU have highlighted accessible tickets as part of their complete review of the seating manifest at Murrayfield.​

Project 24/25

As part of an ongoing evaluation of the supporter experience against the backdrop of increasing demand on our available seats, we will be spending this calendar year undertaking a full review of the seating manifest at BT Murrayfield.

As we enter the second decade of the Scotland Season Pass, it is important that we continue to provide the best availability for Scotland tickets whilst balancing the demands of the business. All aspects of the seating manifest will be considered with the intention of providing season passes, match packages, clubs, groups & school allocations, hospitality and commercial obligations and, importantly, satisfying the demand for accessible tickets.

The results of Project 24/25 will be known later in the year and any changes to the current Scotland Season Pass offering and any resulting impact (if applicable) to your current Season Pass seat(s) will be communicated in advance of the renewal period for Season 2024/25.

I don’t think they publish the number season passes sold but given how few tickets go on public sale it must be in the tens of thousands. I can’t see Rangers doing this but it’s interesting to see how other organisations deal with increasing demand.

SRU have highlighted accessible tickets as part of their complete review of the seating manifest at Murrayfield.​

Project 24/25

As part of an ongoing evaluation of the supporter experience against the backdrop of increasing demand on our available seats, we will be spending this calendar year undertaking a full review of the seating manifest at BT Murrayfield.

As we enter the second decade of the Scotland Season Pass, it is important that we continue to provide the best availability for Scotland tickets whilst balancing the demands of the business. All aspects of the seating manifest will be considered with the intention of providing season passes, match packages, clubs, groups & school allocations, hospitality and commercial obligations and, importantly, satisfying the demand for accessible tickets.

The results of Project 24/25 will be known later in the year and any changes to the current Scotland Season Pass offering and any resulting impact (if applicable) to your current Season Pass seat(s) will be communicated in advance of the renewal period for Season 2024/25.

I don’t think they publish the number season passes sold but given how few tickets go on public sale it must be in the tens of thousands. I can’t see Rangers doing this but it’s interesting to see how other organisations deal with increasing demand.
Do they have conventional season tickets, I.e people buy the same seat year on year?

I thought you had to buy a seat each year with no guarantee you’ll get the same one?

Do they have conventional season tickets, I.e people buy the same seat year on year?

I thought you had to buy a seat each year with no guarantee you’ll get the same one?
I’m on auto renew so have had the same three seats together in West 44 for a few years. Others will have been in the same seats since launch 2016/17.

I’m on auto renew so have had the same three seats together in West 44 for a few years. Others will have been in the same seats since launch 2016/17.
Learn something new daily. Wasn’t aware of that, whenever I’ve went I’ve spoken to a friend in the local rugby club who sorts me with a club ticket and it’s never been the same seat that’s why I was confused
Easy explanation could be it’s ST holders that have returned it but helpful info

Back