Current Ibrox Stadium Problems and Future Redevelopments

Does anyone know what the plans are now for the land that we had ‘sold’ off to those developers? I’d much prefer if we kept it and made use of it ourselves to be honest. I do understand that it provides issues with our funds but then again, perhaps waiting to do all of this construction when we were more financially sound was the better idea.

I think as it stands the plan will be to keep it as a car park unless something major changes that Bisgrove would announce at a fans board meeting for minutes to get uploaded to the website like the first meeting has been recorded.

Yeah i can’t mind how big or how long it stretches to just sticks out like a sore thumb down there. That and the Champions wall just looks out of place would have been ideal further up. Unless there’s plans to add on.

I think the space is bigger than EH as the old one was bigger than the current venue. And agreed, when the club have funds to spare the entire surrounds of the stadium need completely revamped.

I think as it stands the plan will be to keep it as a car park unless something major changes that Bisgrove would announce at a fans board meeting for minutes to get uploaded to the website like the first meeting has been recorded.
I heard that another builder had agreed to continue with the original plans.

May even be related to the old merchant homes if you get my drift.

Might be tittle tattle.

I heard that another builder had agreed to continue with the original plans.

May even be related to the old merchant homes if you get my drift.

Might be tittle tattle.

Hopefully the board see sense and put our own fans first over a housing development. The Albion Car Park is full every game and takes ages to get out. We also generate money from this every home game. We cannot afford to lose anymore parking as spaces are hard enough to find as it is.

If they really wanted to go ahead with this plan something would have to give, such as Bisgrove continuing to push SPT to rebuild the Ibrox Train Station.

Hopefully the board see sense and put our own fans first over a housing development. The Albion Car Park is full every game and takes ages to get out. We also generate money from this every home game. We cannot afford to lose anymore parking as spaces are hard enough to find as it is.

If they really wanted to go ahead with this plan something would have to give, such as Bisgrove continuing to push SPT to rebuild the Ibrox Train Station.
The main reason traffic is so bad around Ibrox on a matchday is because of the number of cars, including mine. We must have one of the highest % of large stadiums of supporters arriving in private cars with 1-2 occupants.

If the sale of Albion goes ahead, the car park that’s left will be reserved for disabled and hospitality parking. Once the on the street parking is maxed out, including when the council get round to redeveloping the old Brighton Street tenement spare ground, then people will need to think again.

We don’t have anywhere near the numbers using Cessnock or Govan station who should be. When I’m driving home each game, Govan station is deserted because everyone is queuing up at Ibrox.

It won’t be ideal, and it will mean inconveniencing some including me, but there’s absolutely no need for a £15-20m railways station to be needed for 20 match days a season when there are subway stations within walking distance barely being utilised.

The main reason traffic is so bad around Ibrox on a matchday is because of the number of cars, including mine. We must have one of the highest % of large stadiums of supporters arriving in private cars with 1-2 occupants.

If the sale of Albion goes ahead, the car park that’s left will be reserved for disabled and hospitality parking. Once the on the street parking is maxed out, including when the council get round to redeveloping the old Brighton Street tenement spare ground, then people will need to think again.

We don’t have anywhere near the numbers using Cessnock or Govan station who should be. When I’m driving home each game, Govan station is deserted because everyone is queuing up at Ibrox.

It won’t be ideal, and it will mean inconveniencing some including me, but there’s absolutely no need for a £15-20m railways station to be needed for 20 match days a season when there are subway stations within walking distance barely being utilised.

EDIT - Greg Marshall's views on a new Train Station being built at Ibrox at the Edmiston House fans meeting back in November. Both near the bottom on the last two links.

https://assets.ctfassets.net/39646i...al_FAB_-_Rangers_Exec_Meeting_JB_Approved.pdf

https://assets.ctfassets.net/39646i...5442/CEO_Fans_Forum_November_Minutes_2023.pdf

https://fourladshadadream.blog/2023...-managers-comments-dof-update-stadium-update/

Last edited:
In a years time we could potentially have Edmiston House, the new EH beer tent, G51 Sports Bar (where the old Megastore is), The Louden Tavern and next up Arfield's proposed Sports Bar (where the Ladbrokes used to be). The Copland side of the stadium will be mobbed on matchdays and exactly the way it should be! No option but to increase the stadium capacity to over 60,000 to allow for more fans in the bars ;)

Really exiting times ahead for the fans if these 5 are all up and running. Keeps fans in the vicinity of the stadium before and after games.

The one criticism I have is that the Broomloan end of Ibrox will have nothing there. I understand in the past this was because 8,000 Celtic fans were attending twice a season and had no reason for anything Rangers that side of the ground. Yes there's the Ticket Office and the Albion Car Park, but nothing really for fans coming that way other than The Wee Rangers Club. Would love to get something else closer at that side of the stadium. Still a massive empty space infront of the stadium the Hinshelwood Drive housing used to stand on.

Train Station is still a much needed addition to deal with growing congestion from traffic and the subway. This is a massive contributing factor why fans leave so early. Parking will only continue to get worse once Glasgow City Council move fans further and further away from local streets near the stadium due to restrictions.

Had a look in the window of the old shop on the way out last night and definitely progress being made on the bar, early stages of fitting out, no old stock or anything related to the shop lying around.
That's good news, last i looked about a month or so ago it looked like a stock room for the store.

In a years time we could potentially have Edmiston House, the new EH beer tent, G51 Sports Bar (where the old Megastore is), The Louden Tavern and next up Arfield's proposed Sports Bar (where the Ladbrokes used to be). The Copland side of the stadium will be mobbed on matchdays and exactly the way it should be! No option but to increase the stadium capacity to over 60,000 to allow for more fans in the bars ;)

Really exiting times ahead for the fans if these 5 are all up and running. Keeps fans in the vicinity of the stadium before and after games.

The one criticism I have is that the Broomloan end of Ibrox will have nothing there. I understand in the past this was because 8,000 Celtic fans were attending twice a season and had no reason for anything Rangers that side of the ground. Yes there's the Ticket Office and the Albion Car Park, but nothing really for fans coming that way other than The Wee Rangers Club. Would love to get something else closer at that side of the stadium. Still a massive empty space infront of the stadium the Hinshelwood Drive housing used to stand on.

Train Station is still a much needed addition to deal with growing congestion from traffic and the subway. This is a massive contributing factor why fans leave so early. Parking will only continue to get worse once Glasgow City Council move fans further and further away from local streets near the stadium due to restrictions.
They absolutely can’t be getting rid of parking spaces if there is genuine plans to increase the capacity by as big a figure as that. It’ll just be a nightmare, worse than already is the case.

Its not practical for most to use the subway because its a small loop. Unless you stay on the loop you need to go into town then use it. Ibrox is easy to get to by car because of the m8. Whos gonna choose a less convenient route. The only thing that really changes it is a train station

Its not practical for most to use the subway because its a small loop. Unless you stay on the loop you need to go into town then use it. Ibrox is easy to get to by car because of the m8. Whos gonna choose a less convenient route. The only thing that really changes it is a train station
The train station that really only serves Paisley, or….town!

Nobody is going to chase a less convenient route, but once the Albion is sold off and the waste ground at Brighton street is redeveloped, then there will be no choice for some who plan to arrive after 2pm on a Saturday.

Travel time to Ibrox is basically trebled using public transport compared to driving from anywhere bar the city centre.

From Renfrewshire, Inverclyde and Ayrshire it's mad how you're often better going to central then back out via the subway.

I'm on the outskirts of Renfrewshire and can see the stadium from the train as I pass going to central.

Was looking at Ibrox on Google Maps there and noticed the road beside the Broomloan has been changed to Loverose Wy.

Anyone know if this has always been known as that or if it's a recent name change by Glasgow City Council? First time I've noticed it.

Screenshot-20240323-141135-Maps-2.jpg

Was looking at Ibrox on Google Maps there and noticed the road beside the Broomloan has been changed to Loverose Wy.

Anyone know if this has always been known as that or if it's a recent name change by Glasgow City Council? First time I've noticed it.

Done a quick google search and it appears this might be a glitch on google maps where this name appears for roads that don't have a name.

I’d love us to acquire the land where those security vans and their office are located, between the Broomloan Stand and Broomloan Road. It’s a fairly large footprint, and looks so out of place next to our stadium.

I’d love us to acquire the land where those security vans and their office are located, between the Broomloan Stand and Broomloan Road. It’s a fairly large footprint, and looks so out of place next to our stadium.

The top building is Loomis security, the bottom is Simple Waste. As you say, if Rangers could get the land there it would be absolutely ideal. You could allow for the club to open something up that actually generates more money for us.

It's more what don't we have, we've got Edmiston House and a soon to be Sportsbar round the Copland side which catches a lot of the subway users.

Absolutely nothing round the Broomloan side other than The Wee Rangers Club that the club don't own.

Would it be worth building a permanent Ticket Office there instead of the current unsightly portacabin. Or even a new club shop, that then allows us room to expand the Museum in Edmiston House?

I dont know why people keep suggesting we move the ticket office into a building we either need to build from scratch or purchase and renovate something else? When money is clearly tight, there's absolutely no material gain in doing that. It operates as it needs to, it's fine. I personally could give a single %^*& that it's a portakabin, it's not important at all.

Every penny on endeavours around the stadium should be on opportunities to generate revenue for the club. Some of the ideas on this page about building something to generate income round the Broomloan end are interesting though, there might be something in that.

The top building is Loomis security, the bottom is Simple Waste. As you say, if Rangers could get the land there it would be absolutely ideal. You could allow for the club to open something up that actually generates more money for us.

It's more what don't we have, we've got Edmiston House and a soon to be Sportsbar round the Copland side which catches a lot of the subway users.

Absolutely nothing round the Broomloan side other than The Wee Rangers Club that the club don't own.

Would it be worth building a permanent Ticket Office there instead of the current unsightly portacabin. Or even a new club shop, that then allows us room to expand the Museum in Edmiston House?

if we acquired the land, I’m sure the club could come up with ideas to make good use of it. A new ticket Office and maybe some multi level parking, similar to the one at the Hydro, and possibly a cash generating sports bar to cater for fans arriving from the west and the buses parked on Helen Street.
I’d like to do away with the portacabin Ticket Office. I think it’s poor looking. On that land we could have a proper brick built Ticket Office and maybe a Sports Bar for fans arriving from the west. It would also serve the supporters busses arriving/parking in Helen Street who only have the WRC to grab a pre match pint.
Possibly even a multi level car park similar to the one at the Hydro, which would generate cash and wouldn’t be unsightly.
In general, the club could make the whole thing more aesthetically pleasing, more so if there’s a plan to improve the paving on the stadium footprint.
I understand that when cash is tight that this type of venture is currently pie in the sky. We can but dream.
Broomloan Road in general us a right eyesore from the stadium up to Woodville Street, on both sides of the road. The Mercedes premises on the old Wine Alley scheme helped to tidy the area up, but it just looks very neglected. But there’s not much the club can do about that…

Last edited:

Rangers should actively be looking to acquire land and build a Hotel with a sportsbar etc some shops if possible

SBS24: Diaries, Delegates & Discounts​

The 15th annual TheStadiumBusiness Summit at Emirates Old Trafford, Manchester (18-19 June) puts Operations, Technology & Sustainability into focus with 500+ delegates, 60+ expert speakers and teams/venues from around the globe.

Latest registrations include top execs from Hertha BSC, EngageRM, Abba Voyage, Bath Rugby Club, FIFA, The Stadium Consultancy, Kai Tak Sports Park, Everton FC, RDS Arena, Safari AI, Silverstone, Crusaders FC, BC Place, NEC Group, AFC Wimbledon, Somerset CCC, Etihad Arena, Bristol Sport, Accor Arena, Co-op Live, Adelaide Oval SMA, Port Vale FC, Manchester United FC, Aviva Studios / Factory International, Wrexham AFC, Odyssey Arena, Rangers FC, Boldyn Networks, Daktronics, ZOLB EV, Ulster Rugby, Metro Security, Freemans Event Partners, AiFi, The O2, Rockvolt, Eden Park Trust, Tech+Ball, VITEC, digiLED, ASM Global (APAC), tixbase, SKIDATA, Premium Plus, Autocanteen, ZOLB EV, Sky Business, Adelaide Showground… to namedrop just a few ;)

And time is ticking for our #SBS24 Super Earlybird delegate package. Register today for just £795 – saving £500 on the full rate. This special rate is available until 2 February and includes access to all sessions, tasty lunches/breaks, International Reception (17 June evening), TheStadiumBusiness Awards 2024winners' party (18 June) and optional site tours.

Hotel: The newly-extended Hilton Garden Inn provides 250 rooms on-site at our discounted rate of £165 pppn incl tax & breakfast. But it's filling fast...

[Register today] to join your colleagues from all around the world as we explore the future of our wonderful business......

Sports bar isn’t early 2024 (their words) then is it?

Irritating me now that they haven’t provided any sort of update.
Was mentioned in this interview with James Taylor about a month ago with four lads.

16.20 mins in

“Working through final stages of financing for the sports bar, it’s something we are still committed too”

He further goes on to say operating model, how that delivers, when it is open the nature of that is still being discussed.

Sounds to me sports bar is still sometime away from opening. Have a feeling on matchdays this will become a hospitality package and not open to other fans, but that’s just guesswork from me.

Last edited:
Back