Current Ibrox Stadium Problems and Future Redevelopments

IMG-20210812-090151.jpg

That’s the first time I’ve seen plans with buildings behind the new fan zone. Any ideas what they are?

Good thread btw. There are a few areas we need to improve on. There was a phase of lots happening at one point but it does seem to have slowed down.

I heard it was a mixture of both new property for Rangers to buy/rent and the further away buildings would be flats. A proposed further 93 car park spaces are to be built where the areas of grass in the photo are. This makes me wonder where a new Ibrox Disaster Memorial will go should the bottom buildings go ahead. Incase anyone wonders what I'm talking about I could swear there was an interview on This Is Ibrox Youtube Channel in January from Stewart Robertson and David Mason doing interviews on it.

Last edited:
Couple of words in answer to that,Prostate problem,
If I sat for 90+ minutes without going to the toilet pish would be running down my legs,
Just do away with the bogs turn them into smoking howfs and I can stay at home.

I am same mate prostrate issues mean i have go for a pee 10 mins before game starts and again at half time and then again after game.

No much fun at times.

I would guess it’s actually a bit of a pain in the backside to do it, scaffolding would be needed at everyone of them as u can’t just use a ladder, then an electrician to kill off the wires and then what? Leave the pole that was hanging down or have that taken away aswell. Do this for what probably 50 times for TVs dotted about?

Relatively speaking, it’s not a big job. Pain in the arse, yes. But maintaining an estate is.

Why can't people go 90 mins without a trip to the bog? If you can't last out 90 mins stay home or buy a nappy. Nothing worse than getting up for a big worshipper to rub his way past you on his way there and back to do his business. Probably a member of subway loyal too who can't wait to get home to his own bog and his roll of Scott Brown bog paper.
Christ you must be a laugh at the pub

Great thread - being a supporter involves more than just standing back and applauding everything the club does.

Some constructive criticism is important.

And how right you are Rab. When the supporters stop getting involved the club falls. The supporters are Rangers. Who keeps this club running? Who pays the Season Ticket money? Who buys the MyGers Memberships? Who buys the Merchandise? Who buys the catering? Who follows home and away? Who follows all the way? Who follows Rangers all across Europe from Belfast to Moscow?

The fans are the life blood of this club and without us quite simply we wouldn't have a club. We run this club, this city and this country. We Are The People.

What pisses me off is tbat they have had 18 months to address these issues.
At least a tin of floor paint to the toilets. Ive said it before...the board are treating the fans with contempt. They should come out of the Directors box and experience a match in any one of the other stands. Bet changes would happen over night

There could be a multitude of reasons people 'cant go 90 mins without a trip to the bog'.

Young fans
Elderly fans with health issues
And heaven forbid someone enjoys themself and has a few beers before the game
other reason’s is some people want a blast of charlie or a fag it’s clear as day

Great thread - being a supporter involves more than just standing back and applauding everything the club does.

Some constructive criticism is important.
The board since King won through get a bye as they are spending the money getting Ibrox up to standard and it's going to cost millions more as they stated behind the scenes was the priority before the public areas and the cosmetics.
Onc criticism of them is the lack of simple communication as to why the undercladding of the roofs and replacing the yellowed screens hasn't been finished when its been paid for. There's a reason and probably a simple one that a press release would clear up.
Shame on the boards of the last 20 years that haven't kept Ibrox in touch with modern facilities.

We had a facilities manager until very recently when he was paid off. There’s been numerous guys in the facilities department over the years that didn’t really care for a number of reasons. They did plenty of the more prestige and bigger jobs at great costs but the small jobs that keep the place clean and tidy and respectable for a club of our size has been neglected for years. When they got rid of most of the maintenance staff from 2012 onwards they didn’t ever really replace them. Subbies came in and did work and till do. It’s not great at all. The players areas and dressing rooms etc are spot on as are most of the suites and executive areas, but the more public areas have been the same for a very long time.

@Greg Marshall surely the club can employ a full time department of maintenance/facilities team to check the stadium is in proper condition before and after matches?

This is surely an absolutely vital role at the club. Fans would literally do jobs for free at the club in order to get it back to the standards it should be at. Does no one actually inspect the stadium or is it just the usual checks that get done on a daily routine?

I'm just one fan but dear Christ look at everything I've managed to pick out from either myself or from other fans on social media that have visited Ibrox and had to take photographic evidence because they can't believe this is actually in Rangers stadium.

As you say Paul the difference in class between sitting in hospitality compared to paying for a standard ticket is absolutely incredible.

When I started reading your original post I first thought you were going to be a nit picking moany auld bastard. :) However I realised soon that it was a cracking post with many valid points, good detail and passionate about what you see and feel about our great club. I also look around and look for areas that I believe should get much TLC.

Reading through some of the posts you realise that not everyone has the same priorities on what our Club should and shouldn't do. I would love to see a committee of fans who share similar views and set up with conservation / continuous improvement ideas. This could also have connections with both volunteers and Tradesmen / Companies that could help with costs and ease our finances. A set up like that could engage with our board and share ideas and priorities.

Proceeds from Rangers Pools are supposed to be ringfenced for stadium and facilities maintenance and improvement. A bigger push with that could help bring in some much needed funds. We could have agents in the concourses before ko and at HT signing people up?

When I went to the Livingston game, kirby grips and a screw that were under the seat next to me TWO SEASONS AGO were still there.

I shit you not.

The sad thing is, the kirby grips were dropped by a lassie that used to sit next to me when McCoist was the manager.

The washroom panels in the toilets could be easily sold on a game by game basis to the right contractor. 50,000 potential eyeballs every other week.... Bookies / bevy brands of even the Gov would snap it up most weeks.

I heard it was a mixture of both new property for Rangers to buy/rent and the further away buildings would be flats. A proposed further 93 car park spaces are to be built where the areas of grass in the photo are. This makes me wonder where a new Ibrox Disaster Memorial will go should the bottom buildings go ahead. Incase anyone wonders what I'm talking about I could swear there was an interview on This Is Ibrox Youtube Channel in January from Stewart Robertson and David Mason doing interviews on it.
I’m sure the properties are the ones in the part of the Albion we sold off, and we also had a say in the design.

I only drink whisky. I go to the loo directly after and proceed to the game in good time. Upon arrival at the arena I may partake in a quick pee, wash my hands and then head to my seat. Never to bother anyone again during the 90 minutes. It's that simple really.

Am the same mate, minus the whisky.

The toilets are not great though, that said is there really a need for an ultra modern area to pish and shit in?

The TVs in the main stand are a bit embarrassing and the internal concourses need redecorating.

Better selection at the food kiosks is a must.

Disabled facilities, pffffffttttt! :D :D:D:D

If you didn't laugh you'd cry.

Whoever came up with Everyone Anyone Everywhere Anywhere certainly had a sense of humour.

Are you 100% sure the City is allowing 93 above grade parking spaces? That's counter to practically every goal of Glasgow's city plan.

Email from Rangers: “We had to contend with loads of fans turning up wrecking the toilets and that. It’s all your fault. Away and buy from the latest Castore ‘Ibrox bogs’ range. Catch ye’s”

I have a season ticket on the Club Deck and the seat numbering is a shambles. There a large number of seats without numbers ,and some with the wrong numbers . It's been like this for years. How difficult is it to get this sorted. At sell out games it's a total mess with people trying to find their seat where there is no numbers. A lot of the things raised in this thread are relatively easily sorted but nobody seems to bother or care.

This should be the dream we’re working towards
We are at a point where we couldn’t finish replacing corrugated panels in the broomloan and Copland and left it half done . May I suggest you temper your dream, for your own sake .

We are at a point where we couldn’t finish replacing corrugated panels in the broomloan and Copland and left it half done . May I suggest you temper your dream, for your own sake .
Yeah your right maybe we should give up on any ambitions

There’s ambition, and then there’s daydreaming . Try and keep it real .
That’s why I said work toward, it was done in the past with creative marketing for example when the club deck was built
plus John Bennett mentioned at last years agm that stadium expansion is being considered (probably smaller scale to be fair)

The past 3 games I have walked behind the S J stand and the tarmac (if it's still called that) is a disgrace and in some places an accident waiting to happen.

Proceeds from Rangers Pools are supposed to be ringfenced for stadium and facilities maintenance and improvement. A bigger push with that could help bring in some much needed funds. We could have agents in the concourses before ko and at HT signing people up?
Something along the line of Rising Stars, but for stadium maintenance should attract support.

toilets aint a big issue for me. to me the main things need to be the entrance aand the horrible yellow on side of broomloan and copland and the concourses majorly need lick of paint id do zilch to away section.
I disagree. In this COVID-19 era, they should all have a one-way system. It’s not good having a narrow one point entry/exit passageway, with fans squeezing past each other in opposite directions. I don’t know if there all like this, but the one’s I’ve visited, in the Club Deck, are like this.

The board since King won through get a bye as they are spending the money getting Ibrox up to standard and it's going to cost millions more as they stated behind the scenes was the priority before the public areas and the cosmetics.
Onc criticism of them is the lack of simple communication as to why the undercladding of the roofs and replacing the yellowed screens hasn't been finished when its been paid for. There's a reason and probably a simple one that a press release would clear up.
Shame on the boards of the last 20 years that haven't kept Ibrox in touch with modern facilities.
It’s ironic that while dressing room leaks have become a thing of the past, the general communication from the club to supporters on anything from progress of stadium improvements through to when your items bought from the club shop is at an all time low.

toilets aint a big issue for me. to me the main things need to be the entrance aand the horrible yellow on side of broomloan and copland and the concourses majorly need lick of paint id do zilch to away section.
Must admit I like a raw cauldron feel to a football stadium. Don’t like stadiums like airport terminals. But you want decent grub, a lick of paint and broken things fixed and decent hygiene.

First sight for a year last couple of weeks and wasn’t over impressed despite what I’d read. But if Auchenhowie are on the up and the player facilities that’s the priority. Need to do a lot more for the fans tho.

Must admit I like a raw cauldron feel to a football stadium. Don’t like stadiums like airport terminals. But you want decent grub, a lick of paint and broken things fixed and decent hygiene.

First sight for a year last couple of weeks and wasn’t over impressed despite what I’d read. But if Auchenhowie are on the up and the player facilities that’s the priority. Need to do a lot more for the fans tho.
I agree on my general preference.. I preferred football when it was a bit more “raw” and stadiums weren’t the sanitized and happy-crappy environments that we have today.

That said, we do live in a world where football grounds are now a friendly, inclusive environment for adults & families, and as such (and if you have aspirations to host semi finals or finals of tournaments) then a clean & well-maintained environment is required.

In general, give me a noisy terrace, a greasy pie and a molten hot Bovril out of a kiosk over an over-priced f’ing Meal Deal and a solemn atmosphere in a stand any day though.

I agree on my general preference.. I preferred football when it was a bit more “raw” and stadiums weren’t the sanitized and happy-crappy environments that we have today.

That said, we do live in a world where football grounds are now a friendly, inclusive environment for adults & families, and as such (and if you have aspirations to host semi finals or finals of tournaments) then a clean & well-maintained environment is required.

In general, give me a noisy terrace, a greasy pie and a molten hot Bovril out of a kiosk over an over-priced f’ing Meal Deal and a solemn atmosphere in a stand any day though.
While I agree with you 100% , those days are well and truly gone now . The best we can now hope for is a clean , vibrant , welcoming and engaging well run Ibrox . One with no smart card problems , with clean modern toilets , with decent quick catering facilities . With fans joining in with an enlarged “ singing section “ for big games .

That’s the reality and we simply need to move with the times and make the best of it and I include stamping out songs once and for all that refer to the IRA or Bobby bloody sands . We will never be seen as a modern European club while we persist with the defunct Irish terror group obsession , a weird quirk many of us can’t seem to let go . I’ve sung them all and then some in the past but if an old fogey like me can see it needs binned , surely others can .

Why can't people go 90 mins without a trip to the bog? If you can't last out 90 mins stay home or buy a nappy. Nothing worse than getting up for a big worshipper to rub his way past you on his way there and back to do his business. Probably a member of subway loyal too who can't wait to get home to his own bog and his roll of Scott Brown bog paper.

I went to a game in a nappy once and everyone complained about the smell after I shat myself. You can't please everyone.

Where to even start with this :))

While I agree with you 100% , those days are well and truly gone now . The best we can now hope for is a clean , vibrant , welcoming and engaging well run Ibrox . One with no smart card problems , with clean modern toilets , with decent quick catering facilities . With fans joining in with an enlarged “ singing section “ for big games .

That’s the reality and we simply need to move with the times and make the best of it and I include stamping out songs once and for all that refer to the IRA or Bobby bloody sands . We will never be seen as a modern European club while we persist with the defunct Irish terror group obsession , a weird quirk many of us can’t seem to let go . I’ve sung them all and then some in the past but if an old fogey like me can see it needs binned , surely others can .
100%

Football is very much for TV and families these days.. the old guard who enjoyed going along and incorporating a few beers, singing some off-colour songs and baiting the opposition players and fans are the ones out of step after 25yrs of “progression”.

I was at the England v Denmark game.. semi final of the European Championship and people are signing pop songs. I was left shaking my head a bit.

In terms of Ibrox and the intent of this thread.. it means that the facilities within the stadium need to be maintained to a level that it can compete with other “family activities” like going to the cinema, museum or bowling alley. That’s where we are these days.
All it takes is a mum from Thorntonhall or Bearsden to go along with the husband and kids and see the toilets looking like they do, or the catering not being up to standard of a takeaway restaurant and she’ll be on a campaign to stop her precious kids from entering such a dingy environment. Her husband going to Ibrox since he was a kid and just wanting to get his kids into it won’t matter a jot.

Bottom line is that if you want Middle Class money then you need to provide a Middle Class environment.

UB are great and I join in when they start it but I go quiet and notice others do when it moves away from our real traditional songs.

You never had any issues with your kidneys I take it?

Back