Dave King backs Rangers fans in Sydney Super Cup storm and issues Ibrox board demand

7-8m for Olsen, no chance even with fees on top, his reputation doesn't bring that much flout to cost that much. We spent over 4m on an injury prone striker from Belgium in Roofe, we definitely paid a loan fee for Ramsey. We take risks on injury prone players yet won't on a highly rated prospect. It's daft.

Probably 6m at a push.
Transfer market literally says he cost his new team 6.3m euros. Agent fee - 1m euro? Sign on bonus? Plus wages. So “6m” at a push is completely incorrect given the evidence.

We paid £4.5m on Roofe last year that is correct - that was the board taking massive gambles with money the club doesn’t have and they have to fund. It’s unsustainable.

We were never spending Patterson/Gerrard money in January when prices are at a premium and when there is a massive summer rebuild staring us in the face
Were you expecting us to get from the first qualifier to the group stages? that must've made us money we weren’t expecting. Regarding player sales I agree we should've sold and reinvested however we took money in for Patterson and Gerrard's management team leaving and didn't reinvest and apparently we now need to play Celtic in a friendly as it'll generate £2m
Exactly this. January is generally a very poor market to buy in. This isn’t football manager where you sell your best play for £10m and spend every penny of it. as fans we think of one window at a time however the board and DOF have to think 2/3 windows ahead in terms of financially planning. That’s before we get to the idea that you should only reinvest say 50% of transfer fees generated otherwise you break even on the buy low sell high model.

Were you expecting us to get from the first qualifier to the group stages? that must've made us money we weren’t expecting. Regarding player sales I agree we should've sold and reinvested however we took money in for Patterson and Gerrard's management team leaving and didn't reinvest and apparently we now need to play Celtic in a friendly as it'll generate £2m

If we got past Malmo then we were guarenteed £5m which he would have probably got to use to strengthen us. There was no way after the losses the club made that he was going to get another £10m plus to spend. As I say Malmo is on him nobody else and let's be honest had he got the money and his mate from Villa came for him he was still off anyway

I don't agree with the friendly in anyway at all if it was just against the 2 aussie teams by all means yeah that's fine but I'm guessing it's because there will be no income for 5 weeks whilst the world cup is on that's why they've agreed to it.

It's arguably the football operations that are of more concern overall at the moment that the commercial side.
Arguably you are probably right because of the form of the team, questionable signings etc, but the parts the make up the whole operations of the club need to be working in tandem with each other to be totally successful. Commercially the club have brought in a hell of a lot of money off the back of Bisgroves work, we are still Champions and still within grasp of winning it again but the fickle nature of the fanbase makes everything seem out of sync. This Oz stuff has really annoyed and alienated a lot of the fanbase and now we have King coming out and putting the boot in.

All this on the eve of the one thing the club has drilled into us all for the past 18 months.

Nothing like shooting yourself in the foot!

Whilst there is never 100% harmony for any board of any company, we need to be pulling together. This is unnecessary division.

Agreed but it’s been caused by the Board themselves. They could easily resolve this by pulling out of this tournament but have chosen to ignore the fans again.

Arguably you are probably right because of the form of the team, questionable signings etc, but the parts the make up the whole operations of the club need to be working in tandem with each other to be totally successful. Commercially the club have brought in a hell of a lot of money off the back of Bisgroves work, we are still Champions and still within grasp of winning it again but the fickle nature of the fanbase makes everything seem out of sync. This Oz stuff has really annoyed and alienated a lot of the fanbase and now we have King coming out and putting the boot in.

All this on the eve of the one thing the club has drilled into us all for the past 18 months.

Nothing like shooting yourself in the foot!
We don't look like a club that has invested tens of millions to build a successful side.

We look like we need the same again. Saw a few posts on here today lamenting the lack of player sales while Gerrard was here & I couldn't agree more.

Now we are in a position where when we have managed to make a big sale, it appears we can't or won't spend it.

King meets Traynor then a few days later this hits the press.

Gerrard as manager was King's idea and his move.

Although it wasn’t his idea it was Mark Allen’s idea.

Allen also used Gerard’s friendship with Andy Scoulding to help sell the idea and King was the last piece.

King has always had our best interests at heart do you have some kind of inside info or is your comment based on your own opinion Roscoblue?
He’s not got ‘our’ best interests at heart when he’s asking for £13m of our money to go into his pocket rather than into the Club. I’m not getting into a slagging match about Dave King, I’ve said many times on here that he has my respect for the part he played but he’s yesterday’s man.

Gerrard has us playing shite, bit much to presume he would have won the league.
Maybe so but questions are what was going on in tge background and had that anything to do with the stuttering start? That interview "Dont ask silly questions!" His demeanour just looked like a sad guy at the time then he was gone soon after? Always thought there was more to it and this leaves us with more questions than answers over his departure or it should?

I 100% agree with King and I wish he was still at the club. Since he left the board has become virtually invisible and the fans are left in the dark. However if King wants back then he needs to come back and stay back, not just pop in and out as it pleases him.

I am not happy at the way our club is being run and the fans are being treated like cash cows, reminds me of the times under Bain and Murray, 'pay up and shut up' days

I'm a fan of Dave king and consider the man a legend for what he done for us and I'm glad he has came out against the Australia fiasco.

but what is it with rangers men that we can't all pull together for the benefit of our club ,maybe it's because we are more free thinking than that other lot who are moulded and follow each other like sheep .

honestly though if you put four rangers men in a room ,you would get five different opinions .

I hope this doesn't escalate and become nasty as it's meant to be a time for celebrating our 150th

He’s not got ‘our’ best interests at heart when he’s asking for £13m of our money to go into his pocket rather than into the Club. I’m not getting into a slagging match about Dave King, I’ve said many times on here that he has my respect for the part he played but he’s yesterday’s man.

As regards to him taking money out I dont know the ins and outs of his financial situation but he imo does have our interests at heart and other than forcing the crooks out he has put well over 20m in along with a lot of time and hard work to get us on right track!

Am I wrong in thinking this which is why I am asking if that is your opinion or do you have inside knowledge not sure why you think I am looking for some sort of slagging match it was just a simple enquiry to your comment Roscoblue!

As regards to him taking money out I dont know the ins and outs of his financial situation but he imo does have our interests at heart and other than forcing the crooks out he has put well over 20m in along with a lot of time and hard work to get us on right track!

Am I wrong in thinking this which is why I am asking if that is your opinion or do you have inside knowledge not sure why you think I am looking for some sort of slagging match it was just a simple enquiry to your comment Roscoblue!
If his financial situation was perilous he wouldn’t be willing/able to hold out for C1872. Incidentally, I have no issue whatsoever with him selling his shares, they’re his to sell. My issue is that he’s aware C1872 is funded by the wider Ranger support and our mines should be going directly into the Club.

Apologies for the ‘slagging match’ comment as a reply to you mate, I wasn’t meaning with you. I just meant in general terms that I’m not going to start butchering Dave King. I’m very disappointed in him and I think he’s let us and himself down very badly, truth be told I think he’s jealous.

The first part is right he did fight the spivs, he did put time and money in.

However as of now, he doesn’t want further share issues diluting his going by voting at the agm and he’s made it public he wants 13m for his shares and that the money will go to him, where others are given the club their money and having more shares added to their existing.

The first part is right he did fight the spivs, he did put time and money in.

However as of now, he doesn’t want further share issues diluting his going by voting at the agm and he’s made it public he wants 13m for his shares and that the money will go to him, where others are given the club their money and having more shares added to their existing.
As I said Gameboy I dont know his financial situation but I do know he put 20m in during D Murray's Chairmanship and God knows how much more besides in recent times? Tbf people buy shares to be a part of but mainly to make money again I dont know if this is making him a sizeable profit or not but at the least imo if it has he has earned it?

We were never spending Patterson/Gerrard money in January when prices are at a premium and when there is a massive summer rebuild staring us in the face
I don’t think anyone expected it all to be spent, not even half. You can’t expect sustainable success though on continued frees and loans.

The flip side of your point is the failure to invest in January, and indeed the two previous windows, has allowed us to be caught and potentially miss out on the CL windfall.

The massive rebuild would have been a lot easier with £30m to add to the pot.

If we get 4m (or there about) for this Sydney tournament and we use that money to buy a player in January that helps us win the league is it worth it?

What about Gerrard's interview on trophy day where he states he wants more success and it's a very exciting time to be a Rangers fan, that suggests that he was expecting to be backed in the transfer market. I'm of the opinion the fact the board didn't back him was a huge factor in Gerrard and his team leaving.
Not sure what Gerrard was expecting after the club posted those losses.
I did hope we could have invested last summer, given what was/is at stake this season but I get why we couldn’t.

Sour grapes from King imo. He decided to step down and I have no quarrel with his decision to do so and I will always consider him to be a legend. While I totally disagree with the Board's decision to play a friendly against that mob in Australia in November, I can actually see the board's rationale for doing so. It is a decision made purely on the basis of finance and during November the club will have very little income yet it will still have all of its normal running costs during that time. Although I'm not happy with us playing them and think that we should let the board know how we feel about it, I don't think it should become a cause for disruption within the support of a club which we all hold very dearly.

Probably take heat for this given the furore over Sydney but he's only pushing his own agenda I think by shoehorning the 'shoddy treatment of club 1872' in there. Also far too personal and public an attack on Park by someone who apparently only has the club's and supporters best interests at heart. Dragging their dirty laundry through the press doesn't serve that purpose in the slightest imo. He was the perfect man for the job when it came to ousting Ashley, he is the antithesis of that here imo. Too controversial and fractious.
100% correct in my opinion. The right man at the right time - but that time has passed.

If we get 4m (or there about) for this Sydney tournament and we use that money to buy a player in January that helps us win the league is it worth it?
If its about bringing in funds then just sell Itten, Barisic, Wright or anyone else who bring nothing to the starting 11.
Its all about the ethical stain that being associated with them leaves on our club, we should NEVER be involved in a friendly with them.

Not sure what Gerrard was expecting after the club posted those losses.
I did hope we could have invested last summer, given what was/is at stake this season but I get why we couldn’t.
I'm quite sure that he would've had some sort of budget and looks like that has not been honoured. Gerrard came in whilst we were miles behind Celtic and put us back on top, he is still early in his managerial career and if the board couldn't or wouldn't back him then he can't be blamed for leaving. The decision not to back Gerrard has been a huge error by this board as is the decision to play this friendly with Celtic. Tbh it's hard to disagree with anything King has said.

If its about bringing in funds then just sell Itten, Barisic, Wright or anyone else who bring nothing to the starting 11.
Its all about the ethical stain that being associated with them leaves on our club, we should NEVER be involved in a friendly with them.
Who's going to buy them ?

I would rather King leading the club to be brutally honest.

He had the fire in his belly.
It was a bit of a shock when he stepped down after bringing us so far. I don't believe it was down to his finances and I just think we were stronger for having him on the Board. I think Gerrard was always going to go sooner or later,but I think the Board going back on promises probably made his mind up then and in that respect I think the Board have some questions to answer.

Dave King could have stayed as Chairman he was not pushed, Dave King wants his money back

Plenty of people want his shares. Don’t understand why he just doesn’t sell up and leave with the majority of the fans holding him in high esteem

most interesting from that and King's latest line is:

"and the completely unnecessary loss of a manager that won title number 55 and would have successfully defended the title are among the concerns that have caught my attention."

shit stirring? if it's about lack of transfer funds available - bit rich from King given that he has withdrawn all funding and selling up.
If you read his statement there is people on the board that he didn't want there & voted against them being on the board , that tells me that he can't work with said board he hasn't even spoke to the board since he stepped down maybe that's how he sold up , after recent events I agree with Mr King this board need changed as I don't think they can take us forward from where we are just now , money should have been spent on the 1st team as now it looks like us missing out on 2 champions league moneys losing to Malmo & possibly losing the league this year all in one season.

I'm quite sure that he would've had some sort of budget and looks like that has not been honoured. Gerrard came in whilst we were miles behind Celtic and put us back on top, he is still early in his managerial career and if the board couldn't or wouldn't back him then he can't be blamed for leaving. The decision not to back Gerrard has been a huge error by this board as is the decision to play this friendly with Celtic. Tbh it's hard to disagree with anything King has said.
Like I posted earlier, I hoped the board could back Gerrard further last summer but I’m not surprised he couldn’t.
Frankly, if Kevin Nisbet was his target, I’m glad he wasn’t.
More so if the fee was more than the £3m mentioned and absolutely never at £5m.
Actually, when I consider Roofe and Itten, maybe that’s another reason I’m glad!

I wanted a busier transfer window however the club has been losing £10m+ each year for how many years? 5? At what point do we as fans and the manager have to be realistic about where the finances come from to fund these transfer windows? He was probably told he would get all funds that were generated and none were generated.
There was 60/80 million to aim for this season beating Malmo & winning the league we had to spend money to do that & we didn't also lost a manager & his backroom staff to , the footballing side of the things financially is run terribly.

The Dave King Roadshow is fast becoming as tiresome as it is cringeworthy.
He seems to jump into the fire throw millions at us and then after a couple of years bails out with a lingering sense that he has been wronged. He is clearly a top businessman and a Rangers fan but always seems to have issues with other directors. Perhaps he is one of these people that is best flying solo and calling all the shots.

I read that as Gerrard basically being put in a position that he had to leave. As a lot on here myself included have said, from Stevie Gs first interviews at the start of the season, things just didn't sound good, his usual very upbeat persona had disappeared and when Malmo pumped us at Ibrox basically saying that's what happens when you go through 2 transfer windows and don't buy and freshen up the squad.

I read that as Gerrard basically being put in a position that he had to leave. As a lot on here myself included have said, from Stevie Gs first interviews at the start of the season, things just didn't sound good, his usual very upbeat persona had disappeared and

when Malmo pumped us at Ibrox basically saying that's what happens when you go through 2 transfer windows and don't buy and freshen up the squad.

I had heard though that the board were furious with him for not going through against Malmo as lets be honest, we blew that big time! If we had gone through he would have had a transfer budget so, it was essentially his own fault.

I agree with that. I had heard the board and park in particular was less than impressed with the way in which we went out to them.
If that's true they should take a long hard look at themselves as they should've freshened up the squad with new signings bearing in mind we'd been performing far better than anyone expected in Europe prior to Malmo.

Like I posted earlier, I hoped the board could back Gerrard further last summer but I’m not surprised he couldn’t.
Frankly, if Kevin Nisbet was his target, I’m glad he wasn’t.
More so if the fee was more than the £3m mentioned and absolutely never at £5m.
Actually, when I consider Roofe and Itten, maybe that’s another reason I’m glad!
I'm glad we didn't spend £5m on Kevin Nisbet as he's not worth that kind of money. All signings come with risks and all managers at big clubs expect to be backed particularly when they've been successful.

It’s poor form from King, but the current manager had a healthy head start to build on and has, as of current time, blown that lead and sees us in the verge of relinquishing the title.

If he loses the league, then the questions need asked.
The lead was 4 points , we’re 3 points behind now with goal difference basically another point.

The lead was 4 points , we’re 3 points behind now with goal difference basically another point.
The lead was 7 points and to now find ourselves trailing is very poor, thankfully we still have enough quality to win the title but we really need this board to attract investment (preferably not friendlies with Celtic) but we need to invest in the playing squad and freshen the squad up a bit.

Back