David Bates. Solid as a rock.

Did well at times tonight, but overall I thought he was poor. A number of times he got caught out positionally and at some of their set-pieces I think he could have been stronger.

My oservations aren't intended as slagging him off. I think he is a decent defender who, with experience, can get better.

That's what this love is,
And that's what we got, oh

I'll get my coat (f'in hated that song too lol) :)

Think he has a big future, he is very good at reading the game and timing tackles in 1 on 1 situations. He also has a bit of pace which is something we have lacked at the back

We need to get his contract sorted and give him a run of games with Martin

The boy can certainly defend! While he isn’t the best on the ball, he always shows for it which is great, he will improve and be more composed with the ball if he keeps doing it.

Potentially a really good dominant CH, Martin naturally drops off when his partner goes for a high ball so it's a partnership that should work well once they get some more games under their belt.

Good game tonight from the big chap. Would like to see him get a decent run. Would be good to pair with a ball playing CB.

Thought he had another solid game tonight, distribution was a lot better and more comfortable on the ball. Won a lot in the air which was good as Martin wasnt.

He has come on a lot. I use to have my heart in my mouth when he was passing out from defence but seemed to be a lot more confident tonight doing it

Think he's very raw still but showing signs of a solid defender. He's very agile for a big guy as well. If he can improve on his distribution and gains a little more tactical knowledge then we may have a player there.

There is no hate, just questions over whether he is suited for possession-based play and whether he should be playing ahead of Cardoso.

Those questions still remain, imo, but he is definitely a very solid defender.

He's the most no-nonsense defender I've ever seen, and that's not a bad thing.

He isn't comfortable with the ball at his feet, but he doesn't take risks in possession.

Doesn't try to beat a forward with the ball, he clears it if needs be.

Considering we signed him from Raith Rovers to no fanfare, he's been a great addition to the squad.

Maybe just me but i thought he did the basics tonight. Yes he isnt blessed with natural ability but he dug in and done what was required. Cant fault him at all and seems to rise to the occasion. Given some coaching and guidance this lads one for the long haul.

Thought he was outstanding tonight.
Sheep had a few chances after our 2nd goal, couple free headers couldn’t really see who lost their man etc but Bates was terrific tonight.

The only reason I can see for some not rating him is that he's a big ginger guy, not a foreigner with a fancy name. He can defend, so it can't be his ability.

Double post with mine pal...apologies. Bates is a raw but solid old school defender. Definately one to build around.

Defenders are there to defend and bates does that ,keeps it simple wins headers gets in tackles and lets the footballers play ,i like the big lad and hope he signs a new deal as i think he could improve

Body on the line, if it moves then tackle it, lot to be said for that style of defending.

Still plenty to learn, but there are a lot of good signs with him.

He’s a goalkeepers defender

No nonsense, lines cleared, blocks, headers and crunching tackles.

Yes he’s not great with the ball but I’d say he’s probably played less than 20 games for us. He’ll improve and must be offered a contract.

He has a very bright future. No doubt about that.

Truthfully, I am hugely excited about the number of very talented young players we now have.

I really hope we can hang onto them for two or three years and I think we have a chance of building something really special

I don't think he has had that many poor games in a Rangers jersey and he has had some outstanding ones.
The 1st game in Florida he made a few errors but gave a solid performance in the 2nd.
I think he deserves to keep his place in the team.

Just back from the game.

Bates was my MOTM.

Well said pal. Its a rebuilding period and these kind of players are essential at such times....(rewind to Weir & big Ugo).

I cant help but feel we have a solid spine coming back to our team in such a short period of time...and that's without Dorrans, Jack, McCrorie etc. We can blame the board rightly so over Pedro etc but we have to praise them for taking action where due and i personally feel the biggest signing is Nicholl.

Big Norman is doing alright and has probably earned a new contract.

Going forward he should only be back up though.

I’ll be the first to say I didn’t think he would ever be good enough. But credit where due, tonight I thought he was excellent, again. Long may it continue big man. Take him over alves any day.

I didn't rate him but he has been outstanding in the last few games and he is starting to make me change my opinion I'm happy to say.

Missing mccrorie and jack was a bigger factor in Aberdeen getting all those chances at the end rather than our centr half’s.

It’s not the CHs job to stop crosses coming in on midfielders getting into space for shots.

Back