Did McCloy do what the Portugal goalie done today?

True also of Scottish goalkeeping generally. In less than 20 years we went from Bobby Clark, Big Peter, David Stewart, Stuart Kennedy, David Harvey, and Ally Hunter passing the shirt around to Leighton, Goram, then McGregor, Gordon and even Marshall raising the bar. Have to confess I am worried we are going miles backwards when Gordon retires. That two mid 20’s Rangers youths are still competing for the back up slot is scary to me (Kelly & McCrorie).
Alan Rough and George Woods before Leighton .

Show some respect young man almost 600 games for Rangers, Barcelona legend, assist for the crucial winning goal, two trebles, three league titles, 4 cups, 4 league cups, good enough for Waddell, Wallace and Greig, Rangers legend, but thank goodness Chris Woods came along and set a new standard Yes he had occasional real howlers, but you don’t have that record if you arent reliable week after week. Fine golfer and bowler too.
Thanks for the info mate. It was a genuine request for insight, so thank you.

I was 25 when we played our first league game under Souness at Easter Rd and in the first half Chris Woods came out for a corner and nonchalantly and comfortably plucked the ball out of the air. That's how long I had to wait to see that in a Rangers goalie.

Don't get me wrong, by and large since then with the odd exception I've been spoiled.
My life has only been outstanding keepers. That's why standard ones get terrible criticism.

And...i think that's correct..

I remember one against Porto in the last minute at Ibrox. High ball and his brain told one hand to punch it and other hand to catch it, fell right to the big striker who made it 1-1.
2-1? I was in the Broomloan, right behind it. My first European game.

Im sure we lost a goal in Europe with McCloy rolling the ball in front of him not realising a player was behind him, did that happen or did i dream it?
I do remember him hanging on the bar thinking the ball was well over in a cup final against Aberdeen and the ball went through his arms into the net.

Let's put it this way, Jimmy Johnstone scored with a header against him in a one on one.

Did he have great games for Rangers? Of course he did. You can't play the amount of game he did without that being the case. But he always had a fc_uk up simmering just under the surface.
That’s not how I remember it. Johnstone did score a goal with a header against him but it wasn’t one on one, he didn’t out jump him. It was further out, Johnstone was about 10 yards out and McCloy would be nearer the 6 yard line. I remember this game as I was inline with Johnstone in the new centenary stand, the goal was scored at the Celtic end. 0-1 ‘73 or maybe ‘74

Big Peter was a decent goalkeeper but not a top top stopper. Would agree with other p comments that he wasn’t in the same league as Gorum, Kloss, Woods etc. I do have recollections of him towards the end of his career with us in the early eighties of swinging from the crossbar. He’s fondly remembered nevertheless and played his part in our club history and in particular winning our only European trophy in 1972.

It finished 2-1 to Rangers. We were cruising at 2-0 and it should have been more. Big Gas Meter gave them their present with minutes to go.
We lost 1-0 In the away leg and went out on the away goal. I was at both games.
Did Greig leave in between these games?
I’m certain McLean was our manager in Portugal.

I recall Rumenigge smashing one from outside the box (inter Milan at Ibrox Nov 84 - my first game) and big Peter waving at the ball on his way to collect it for a bye kick when it dipped and crashed off the crossbar.
I was in the Copland front that night and I swear it’s the hardest shot I have ever seen,it almost snapped the bar in two.no keeper in the world was saving it

Big Peter was a decent goalkeeper but not a top top stopper. Would agree with other p comments that he wasn’t in the same league as Gorum, Kloss, Woods etc. I do have recollections of him towards the end of his career with us in the early eighties of swinging from the crossbar. He’s fondly remembered nevertheless and played his part in our club history and in particular winning our only European trophy in 1972.
He swung from the bar in the 78 Scottish cup final.

I stand corrected.
I do remember being ragin with McCloy at the loss of that goal. Porto's goal in the away game was another calamity.
at times in the 80’s I seen trees that had been felled go down quicker than McCloy diving for a low shot.he could pull of great saves but he did always have a big blunder in him.

Im sure we lost a goal in Europe with McCloy rolling the ball in front of him not realising a player was behind him, did that happen or did i dream it?

Yes, we lost 3-0 away to monchengladbach In 1973, Bernd Rupp ran from behind McCloy as he rolled the ball out ,the fair haired striker played up front for Borrussia with Jupp Heynkes.
I think Peter Mcloy saved a penalty taken by Rainer Bonhof.
Rangers won 3-2 at Ibrox losing 2-5 on aggregate.

You have to check Ally Dawson's "challenge" at 8.18 in the Inter Milan video.
He'd get the jail these days.

I remember one against Porto in the last minute at Ibrox. High ball and his brain told one hand to punch it and other hand to catch it, fell right to the big striker who made it 1-1.
No we were winning 2 nil and he threw away a goal in injury time, Porto then beat us 1 nil in Portugal putting us out on away goals, they then went on to win it I think.
Tommy McLean was our manager in the 2nd match after John Greg's sacking.

Last edited:
I was at Barcelona and Big Peter made a great save at 3-2 that night for which I don't think he was ever given proper credit. The big guy could make the occasional blooper - like the one against Porto at Ibrox that probably helped put the final nail into John Greig's managerial career - but there were many games when he was fantastic. One in particular was the night in 1978 in Turin when we lost 1-0 to Juventus. He made some great saves that kept us in the tie and eventually led to our 2-0 victory in the return leg.
I think I am one of those. I still wake up in a sweat some nights with the Big Man swinging from the cross bar versus Dolly, I know we won but I still remember shitting myself every time the ball got into the box in that game, but my old man assures me that he was a great club servant aside from the occasional.

He was a good goalkeeper. Not in Goram, McGregor, Woods or Klos mould but still very good. Amazing kick outs.

He wasn’t even in the Cammy Bell mould! An average goalie at a time when less emphasis was put on the position. He had some cracking games tbf but the howler was always just round the corner.

That’s not how I remember it. Johnstone did score a goal with a header against him but it wasn’t one on one, he didn’t out jump him. It was further out, Johnstone was about 10 yards out and McCloy would be nearer the 6 yard line. I remember this game as I was inline with Johnstone in the new centenary stand, the goal was scored at the Celtic end. 0-1 ‘73 or maybe ‘74
It was the league encounter in September 1971. (2-3)

There is footage of it around as I've watched it on here.

Stein had a goal chopped off late in the game that would have made it 3-2 to Rangers they scored what wass to be the winning goal.

The ref was a John Patterson.

I agree with your description of the goal but the game finished 3-2 to Celtic. We were robbed by the referee (JW Paterson of Bothwell). He chalked off a perfectly good goal by Colin Stein who had lobbed a through ball over Evan Williams. Johnstone’s goal was definitely at the Rangers End. It was at the start of the 1971-72 League season.

Edit : just noticed @wee bud's pit boots beat me to it.

Unusual to see our keeper wearing the same black socks and red tops as our outfield. Never seen that before.

I was 25 when we played our first league game under Souness at Easter Rd and in the first half Chris Woods came out for a corner and nonchalantly and comfortably plucked the ball out of the air. That's how long I had to wait to see that in a Rangers goalie.

Don't get me wrong, by and large since then with the odd exception I've been spoiled.
Prior to 1986 our keepers couldn't do that?

Amazed we won so many trophies including European silverware pre 1986.

Back