Didn’t take long for the digs on the new gaffer.

Sydneyger65

WHAT on earth were they thinking?

If they didn’t see this car crash coming from the moment they put a qualified driving instructor at the wheel, then someone somewhere wasn’t doing their job.

And it turns out it must be catching too because, even though Giovanni van Bronckhorst is only just in the door, he too went missing in action yesterday – isolating himself away in an executive box when he was needed right there, down in the trenches.

It’s little wonder David McCallum’s hair was turning white as he attempted to perform duties way above his B team pay grade.

That the poor guy unravelled as the second half ran away from him – resorting to playing substitute bingo – merely added to the sense of farce. But, to borrow a phrase which used to belong to the previous man in charge, this one was not on him.

No, this was an accident which had been waiting to happen from the moment Steven Gerrard strapped himself into the driver’s seat and bolted down the M6 in a cloud of dust.

This was not just a catastrophic error of judgement for van Bronckhorst who made himself look weak by choosing to watch on from the main stand, it was a shirking of responsibilities on an industrial scale.

Not so in the green corner, where Ryan Porteous and Paul Hanlon were throwing their bodies on the line every time a ball came anywhere near their own penalty box, and Martin Boyle and Kevin Nisbet were busy running themselves to a standstill up top.

But, as magnificent as this Hibs performance was, Rangers turned in a display which was inexplicably feeble in almost every conceivable manner. From the top down.

From being photographed having dinner with club chiefs on Saturday night, to sitting next to sporting director Ross Wilson as another piece of silverware disappeared into the distance, the optics could hardly have been any more damaging for the new boss.

Sure, Rangers may have congratulated themselves for acting swiftly to bring in a new manager but the truth is they dithered needlessly for days when van Bronckhorst was a clear and obvious choice.

Had they moved more quickly then the Dutchman would have had no basis on which to declare himself a mere bystander when a trophy was on the line.

In retrospect, even though his arrival was later than it ought to have been, van Bronkhorst will concede he should have been spending every minute of his first few days back in town examining why Gerrard’s team had made such a bad habit of conceding sloppy goals and doing something to correct it.

That Hibs were 1-0 up after just eight minutes when Boyle bagged the first of a rapid hat-trick, was evidence that due diligence had not been done.

If the entire coms strategy was all dreamed up by his club’s own notoriously wonky PR machine then at least van Bronckhorst knows where to start as he attempts to make some sense out of what has just gone on and recover from the single most inauspicious start to a new job since his own debut as a Rangers player 23 years ago.

On that day, van Bronckhorst grabbed the bull by the horns, after being part of a side which was trailing Irish minnows Shelbourne by three goals in a UEFA Cup qualifier at Prenton Park. Dick Advocaat’s star-sprinkled side came back to win that one 5-3 with a storming second-half comeback.

Yesterday, however, van Bronckhorst opted out of having any kind of influence even though, by half time, it was already apparent his new team was staring disaster square in the eye – with McCallum left to pick up the pieces.

It could have been worse. It could have been Graeme Murty. But when McCallum decided to take decisive action he succeeded only in weakening his own attacking options to such an extent that the outstanding double act of Porteous and Hanlon could hardly believe their own luck.

It must be said, this was a curious affair before the first ball had even been kicked.

Van Bronckhorst did make the trip to be there in person, just as Record Sport told you he would last week, and yet, for some reason, the new man chose not to assume full control despite having a work permit rubber-stamped over the weekend.

So McCallum was left to front this one up and the stand-in boss admitted beforehand that he had also been given responsibility for selecting the starting 11. Not much of the above seemed to make sense, even if McCallum’s team had a familiar feel to it.

In fact, he made a total of five changes to Steven Gerrard’s last line-up for a 4-2 win over Ross County but it was a return to the tried and tested with stalwarts Borna Barisic, Steve Davis, Glen Kamara and Alfredo Morelos all back in the fold.

There were a couple of curve balls too with the inclusion of Scott Arfield and the absence entirely of Kemar Roofe, who wasn’t even among the subs. Now that was a glaring omission but it was the fact that all of this decision making was being done by the hired help was the real baffler.

It did all feel like an unnecessary roll of the dice as far as van Bronckhorst was concerned, leaving a novice in the dugout rather than hurrying himself into his own hotseat.

Had Gio told him to step aside at the half-time interval then he would have shown courage and the qualities of a genuine leader. He would also have spared McCallum from the humiliation of making all the wrong changes at all the wrong times.

Replacing Ryan Kent with Fashion Sakala was bad enough. But to swap Joe Aribo for Ryan Jack – before toying with the notion of throwing on a fourth central midfielder in John Lundstram?

No, this was toe curling stuff which wreaked of panic and despair.

The accident prone Homer Simpson once talked his way out of almost sinking a nuclear submarine by coining the phrase, “It’s my first day.”

Well this was van Bronckhorst’s own “D’oh!” moment.

He won’t get too many more even if he is new.

Written by Jackson for those interested.

Last edited:
lady's front bottom of an article.
Whatever clown wrote that cant even get the basics right.

"No, this was an accident which had been waiting to happen from the moment Steven Gerrard strapped himself into the driver’s seat and bolted down the M6 in a cloud of dust."

He was filmed getting off a train ffs

Maybe GVB decided to treat mcallum and the others with some respect and let them take the team that they'd been training all week. Do these furking clowns ever think of that?
Or the fact GVB is barely in the door and wouldn't have had enough time to do a thing with the team anyway.
I said during the game Gio should have got involved at some point, especially when things were going badly wrong. I'm not about to change my opinion because some prick at the record agrees with me.

Anyone who put today's calamity on GVB has either an agenda or no clue about football. Defoe should have picked the team and stood on the touchline not some rookie B team manager. Massive mistake by Wilson because he has subjected McCallum to ridicule . GVB will not be familiar with the players and Wilson should have made sure a more experienced CURRENT coach stood front and centre, Defoe should have been that man.

Sorry, tldr. But the new manager wasn't in charge today, so any suggestion otherwise is fucking stupid.

Pish article, pay no attention. For the millionth time, GVB does not have his work permit yet.

Imagine we just signed a Brazilian striker who hasn’t received a work permit yet and he was in attendance for a game we lost. Are we going to criticise that striker for not playing in the game? Same applies to GVB, he is legally not allowed to commence work ffs.

For the millionth time, he does.

Fair enough just read it was rubber stamped over the weekend but he’d have missed the entire week’s training and preparation for the game. Probably hasn’t even spoken to any of the players yet. What exactly was he supposed to do?

Im not blaming him just letting you know he does have a WP, ive seen it said so many times on here today. Personally i think he should have stepped up and took charge of the game but im not going to hold it against him, im sure he has own reasons for doing so, like the poster above i thought that earlier so im not going to change my mind now because of this shite.

Last edited:
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, do you think they should have been prepared all week by B team coaches and kick all that preparation into touch because the work permit arrived last minute. The players are to blame for keystone cops defending and woefull finishing.
I think you will see somewhere I said hindsight is a fantastic thing. I am far from blaiming him. We all have decisions in life. Some are right and some are wrong

You think Gio hasn’t met the players yet? Really?

He’s probably met them as a collective but I highly doubt he’s had time to speak to any on an individual basis except for maybe Tav. It’s ridiculous to expect GVB to have taken the reigns for this game with no training sessions under his belt at all. He’s probably genuinely never seen the vast majority of the team actually kick a ball in the flesh.

WHAT on earth were they thinking?

If they didn’t see this car crash coming from the moment they put a qualified driving instructor at the wheel, then someone somewhere wasn’t doing their job.

And it turns out it must be catching too because, even though Giovanni van Bronckhorst is only just in the door, he too went missing in action yesterday – isolating himself away in an executive box when he was needed right there, down in the trenches.

It’s little wonder David McCallum’s hair was turning white as he attempted to perform duties way above his B team pay grade.

That the poor guy unravelled as the second half ran away from him – resorting to playing substitute bingo – merely added to the sense of farce. But, to borrow a phrase which used to belong to the previous man in charge, this one was not on him.

No, this was an accident which had been waiting to happen from the moment Steven Gerrard strapped himself into the driver’s seat and bolted down the M6 in a cloud of dust.

This was not just a catastrophic error of judgement for van Bronckhorst who made himself look weak by choosing to watch on from the main stand, it was a shirking of responsibilities on an industrial scale.

Not so in the green corner, where Ryan Porteous and Paul Hanlon were throwing their bodies on the line every time a ball came anywhere near their own penalty box, and Martin Boyle and Kevin Nisbet were busy running themselves to a standstill up top.

But, as magnificent as this Hibs performance was, Rangers turned in a display which was inexplicably feeble in almost every conceivable manner. From the top down.

From being photographed having dinner with club chiefs on Saturday night, to sitting next to sporting director Ross Wilson as another piece of silverware disappeared into the distance, the optics could hardly have been any more damaging for the new boss.

Sure, Rangers may have congratulated themselves for acting swiftly to bring in a new manager but the truth is they dithered needlessly for days when van Bronckhorst was a clear and obvious choice.

Had they moved more quickly then the Dutchman would have had no basis on which to declare himself a mere bystander when a trophy was on the line.

In retrospect, even though his arrival was later than it ought to have been, van Bronkhorst will concede he should have been spending every minute of his first few days back in town examining why Gerrard’s team had made such a bad habit of conceding sloppy goals and doing something to correct it.

That Hibs were 1-0 up after just eight minutes when Boyle bagged the first of a rapid hat-trick, was evidence that due diligence had not been done.

If the entire coms strategy was all dreamed up by his club’s own notoriously wonky PR machine then at least van Bronckhorst knows where to start as he attempts to make some sense out of what has just gone on and recover from the single most inauspicious start to a new job since his own debut as a Rangers player 23 years ago.

On that day, van Bronckhorst grabbed the bull by the horns, after being part of a side which was trailing Irish minnows Shelbourne by three goals in a UEFA Cup qualifier at Prenton Park. Dick Advocaat’s star-sprinkled side came back to win that one 5-3 with a storming second-half comeback.

Yesterday, however, van Bronckhorst opted out of having any kind of influence even though, by half time, it was already apparent his new team was staring disaster square in the eye – with McCallum left to pick up the pieces.

It could have been worse. It could have been Graeme Murty. But when McCallum decided to take decisive action he succeeded only in weakening his own attacking options to such an extent that the outstanding double act of Porteous and Hanlon could hardly believe their own luck.

It must be said, this was a curious affair before the first ball had even been kicked.

Van Bronckhorst did make the trip to be there in person, just as Record Sport told you he would last week, and yet, for some reason, the new man chose not to assume full control despite having a work permit rubber-stamped over the weekend.

So McCallum was left to front this one up and the stand-in boss admitted beforehand that he had also been given responsibility for selecting the starting 11. Not much of the above seemed to make sense, even if McCallum’s team had a familiar feel to it.

In fact, he made a total of five changes to Steven Gerrard’s last line-up for a 4-2 win over Ross County but it was a return to the tried and tested with stalwarts Borna Barisic, Steve Davis, Glen Kamara and Alfredo Morelos all back in the fold.

There were a couple of curve balls too with the inclusion of Scott Arfield and the absence entirely of Kemar Roofe, who wasn’t even among the subs. Now that was a glaring omission but it was the fact that all of this decision making was being done by the hired help was the real baffler.

It did all feel like an unnecessary roll of the dice as far as van Bronckhorst was concerned, leaving a novice in the dugout rather than hurrying himself into his own hotseat.

Had Gio told him to step aside at the half-time interval then he would have shown courage and the qualities of a genuine leader. He would also have spared McCallum from the humiliation of making all the wrong changes at all the wrong times.

Replacing Ryan Kent with Fashion Sakala was bad enough. But to swap Joe Aribo for Ryan Jack – before toying with the notion of throwing on a fourth central midfielder in John Lundstram?

No, this was toe curling stuff which wreaked of panic and despair.

The accident prone Homer Simpson once talked his way out of almost sinking a nuclear submarine by coining the phrase, “It’s my first day.”

Well this was van Bronckhorst’s own “D’oh!” moment.

He won’t get too many more even if he is new.
Who wrote this piece of excrement?
Record Sport.
This has Jackson's smell... over it!

I thought without his work permit, he wasn't even allowed to influence the game?
Hence couldn't give instructions, or directions.
These pricks would be the first to jump on his ass, if he broke any rules, before he's even started.
Officially.

Anyway I bet he is glad he didn't have anything to do with this last Gerrard 'shit show'.
He starts today.
For you fkuc wits, that share the one brain cell, over at that piece of shit, newspaper.

In any case. Go fkuc yourselves!!

I said during the game Gio should have got involved at some point, especially when things were going badly wrong. I'm not about to change my opinion because some prick at the record agrees with me.
An appearance in the dressing room.
A reminder of the Shelbourne game where in his first game they had gone 3 goals down.
A word of encouragement and a bit of advice not to panic.
Get it up quicker, support the strikers and make sure we gave ourselves a chance.

He didn't need to go screaming and shouting or take over. But an appearance and a bit of encouragement to everyone there would have gone a long way I felt.

Is this a game of guess the writer and the paper?

Why not just add these when copying and pasting whole srticles?

Compare and contrast to nothing is big Ange’s fault despite the number of signings and time he’s been at the club. If Gio had got involved Jackson would be calling for an SFA investigation.

Might be the first attack on our new manager and it certainly won't be the last. They have been sharpening the knives since 55.

An appearance in the dressing room.
A reminder of the Shelbourne game where in his first game they had gone 3 goals down.
A word of encouragement and a bit of advice not to panic.
Get it up quicker, support the strikers and make sure we gave ourselves a chance.

He didn't need to go screaming and shouting or take over. But an appearance and a bit of encouragement to everyone there would have gone a long way I felt.
Exactly. Not going to crucify him for not doing it by any means, hindsight is a wonderful thing but i don't think somenpositive encouragement would have done any harm or undermined anyone.

Anyway its done now.

This weirdo writing this rag article has a stauner when he drives past actual car crashes doesn’t he?

As I said on another thread seeing a midfield 3 of Jack, Davis & Kamara when 1-3 down & chasing the game was as baffling as it was depressing.

Morelos should never have finished the game either, his performance was a disgrace.

Taking Aribo off as well was a strange one.

These are all decisions most of us could see were wrong from the stands or even on TV. Good luck to the B team management but they’ve absolutely no future in the game long-term with decisions like that.

What a load of shite

Yesterday was all on Gerrard not Gio.
Pissing off at a crucial time of the season and leaving a mentally weak team behind.
Even if Gio did get his permit at the weekend it would be mad to let him lead the team after not spending 1 minute in training with them.

The record are just trying to do their masters bidding and are trying to cause more trouble and unrest

If gio was able to be in the dugout ( ie had a work permit), he should have been managing the team.

Kevin Thomson was suggesting something similar yesterday on Premier Sports.

Was about to post this he said he’d have been waiting on them coming in.

Hindsight is wonderful I’ll judge Gio on the end of the season but I do think he should’ve went down I understand why he didn’t and let’s be honest he couldn’t win either way here.

Pizza face has had the absolute piss ripped out him for a week with people slipping him dud information, watching him pass it off as exclusives and then releasing info mocking his dribblings. This is his attempt at having a go back, a sad case of a man who knows he’s now a play thing.

Ridiculous article, designed purely to set a negative agenda around GVB before he even starts his job. I said that yesterday when the Craigan was saying the same during commentary. It was a dig designed very clearly to drag GVB into the negativity, I was disappointed that the likes of Kevin Thomson took the bait and supported the notion that GVB should have set off for the dressing room to have a word, with players he’s not even met yet. No surprise that a journalist is pushing the same agenda in this article, whoever it is.

Back