Didn’t take long for the digs on the new gaffer.

Nearly every manager that joins a club near the end of a week takes a seat in the stand for the weekend match.

There is a reason why, the players knew Gio was there so whether he was in dressing room or stand nothing would have changed. As for selections Gio has just arrived he decided to trust guys that know the players better.

I said during the game Gio should have got involved at some point, especially when things were going badly wrong. I'm not about to change my opinion because some prick at the record agrees with me.

Aye get gio down there at 3 nil to change the team.
That'll be fantastic won't it, get someone who might no even know all the players and positions yet to pick the team.
Great idea.

He’s probably met them as a collective but I highly doubt he’s had time to speak to any on an individual basis except for maybe Tav. It’s ridiculous to expect GVB to have taken the reigns for this game with no training sessions under his belt at all. He’s probably genuinely never seen the vast majority of the team actually kick a ball in the flesh.
This.

As much as we like to think Gio is an uber staunch fan who watches every minute, he probably couldn't tell you where most players play.

Good chance if he was in dugout the same result happens and he is fighting pressure from day 1.

I agree with the approach taken. He also got to spend time with Ross Wilson and point out exactly who should be sold and what he needs in

I said during the game Gio should have got involved at some point, especially when things were going badly wrong. I'm not about to change my opinion because some prick at the record agrees with me.
Unfortunately Gio has set himself up to be knocked here. He must have seen the squad playing in TV or watched some recordings since agreeing to take the job. No one would have blamed him for the result, how could they when the vice captain announced to the world that they have lost desire/hunger after 1 trophy. But a bit of motivation and help with shape and substitutions could possibly made a difference. Anyway it's history and a new beginning from today.

lady's front bottom of an article.
Whatever clown wrote that cant even get the basics right.

"No, this was an accident which had been waiting to happen from the moment Steven Gerrard strapped himself into the driver’s seat and bolted down the M6 in a cloud of dust."

He was filmed getting off a train ffs

Sums up Keith Jackson.

Typical sh*te from Jackson. I think he refers to our PR man as “DUP Dave” - absolutely pathetic, childish and amateur.

Gio was named on Thursday afternoon and was still in Holland. He flew into Glasgow on Friday, the same day as Walters service. At best, he would have had time on Sat to spend time with the players but not in a coaching capacity.

The coaching team had been with the players (or some of them) all week.

Lastly, i have my doubts the work permit landed over the weekend but if it did - it would have been a mistake to bulldoze the plans that had been put in place.

With no involvement in training, no idea of the tactics and alternatives we could use and probably struggling to know who any of the players on the bench were and what they do. And with no particular knowledge of the opposition, what exactly was anybody expecting him to do?

WHAT on earth were they thinking?

If they didn’t see this car crash coming from the moment they put a qualified driving instructor at the wheel, then someone somewhere wasn’t doing their job.

And it turns out it must be catching too because, even though Giovanni van Bronckhorst is only just in the door, he too went missing in action yesterday – isolating himself away in an executive box when he was needed right there, down in the trenches.

It’s little wonder David McCallum’s hair was turning white as he attempted to perform duties way above his B team pay grade.

That the poor guy unravelled as the second half ran away from him – resorting to playing substitute bingo – merely added to the sense of farce. But, to borrow a phrase which used to belong to the previous man in charge, this one was not on him.

No, this was an accident which had been waiting to happen from the moment Steven Gerrard strapped himself into the driver’s seat and bolted down the M6 in a cloud of dust.

This was not just a catastrophic error of judgement for van Bronckhorst who made himself look weak by choosing to watch on from the main stand, it was a shirking of responsibilities on an industrial scale.

Not so in the green corner, where Ryan Porteous and Paul Hanlon were throwing their bodies on the line every time a ball came anywhere near their own penalty box, and Martin Boyle and Kevin Nisbet were busy running themselves to a standstill up top.

But, as magnificent as this Hibs performance was, Rangers turned in a display which was inexplicably feeble in almost every conceivable manner. From the top down.

From being photographed having dinner with club chiefs on Saturday night, to sitting next to sporting director Ross Wilson as another piece of silverware disappeared into the distance, the optics could hardly have been any more damaging for the new boss.

Sure, Rangers may have congratulated themselves for acting swiftly to bring in a new manager but the truth is they dithered needlessly for days when van Bronckhorst was a clear and obvious choice.

Had they moved more quickly then the Dutchman would have had no basis on which to declare himself a mere bystander when a trophy was on the line.

In retrospect, even though his arrival was later than it ought to have been, van Bronkhorst will concede he should have been spending every minute of his first few days back in town examining why Gerrard’s team had made such a bad habit of conceding sloppy goals and doing something to correct it.

That Hibs were 1-0 up after just eight minutes when Boyle bagged the first of a rapid hat-trick, was evidence that due diligence had not been done.

If the entire coms strategy was all dreamed up by his club’s own notoriously wonky PR machine then at least van Bronckhorst knows where to start as he attempts to make some sense out of what has just gone on and recover from the single most inauspicious start to a new job since his own debut as a Rangers player 23 years ago.

On that day, van Bronckhorst grabbed the bull by the horns, after being part of a side which was trailing Irish minnows Shelbourne by three goals in a UEFA Cup qualifier at Prenton Park. Dick Advocaat’s star-sprinkled side came back to win that one 5-3 with a storming second-half comeback.

Yesterday, however, van Bronckhorst opted out of having any kind of influence even though, by half time, it was already apparent his new team was staring disaster square in the eye – with McCallum left to pick up the pieces.

It could have been worse. It could have been Graeme Murty. But when McCallum decided to take decisive action he succeeded only in weakening his own attacking options to such an extent that the outstanding double act of Porteous and Hanlon could hardly believe their own luck.

It must be said, this was a curious affair before the first ball had even been kicked.

Van Bronckhorst did make the trip to be there in person, just as Record Sport told you he would last week, and yet, for some reason, the new man chose not to assume full control despite having a work permit rubber-stamped over the weekend.

So McCallum was left to front this one up and the stand-in boss admitted beforehand that he had also been given responsibility for selecting the starting 11. Not much of the above seemed to make sense, even if McCallum’s team had a familiar feel to it.

In fact, he made a total of five changes to Steven Gerrard’s last line-up for a 4-2 win over Ross County but it was a return to the tried and tested with stalwarts Borna Barisic, Steve Davis, Glen Kamara and Alfredo Morelos all back in the fold.

There were a couple of curve balls too with the inclusion of Scott Arfield and the absence entirely of Kemar Roofe, who wasn’t even among the subs. Now that was a glaring omission but it was the fact that all of this decision making was being done by the hired help was the real baffler.

It did all feel like an unnecessary roll of the dice as far as van Bronckhorst was concerned, leaving a novice in the dugout rather than hurrying himself into his own hotseat.

Had Gio told him to step aside at the half-time interval then he would have shown courage and the qualities of a genuine leader. He would also have spared McCallum from the humiliation of making all the wrong changes at all the wrong times.

Replacing Ryan Kent with Fashion Sakala was bad enough. But to swap Joe Aribo for Ryan Jack – before toying with the notion of throwing on a fourth central midfielder in John Lundstram?

No, this was toe curling stuff which wreaked of panic and despair.

The accident prone Homer Simpson once talked his way out of almost sinking a nuclear submarine by coining the phrase, “It’s my first day.”

Well this was van Bronckhorst’s own “D’oh!” moment.

He won’t get too many more even if he is new.

Written by Jackson for those interested.
This article is utterly absurd. As for Kevin Thompson and his 'great am I' proclamation

Maybe GVB decided to treat mcallum and the others with some respect and let them take the team that they'd been training all week. Do these furking clowns ever think of that?
Or the fact GVB is barely in the door and wouldn't have had enough time to do a thing with the team anyway.

Exactly how to lose a dressing room and backroom staff in one fell swoop. Walk down Billy big baws and try and shout at people you don’t know and have zero working relationship with.

Laughable idea. Initially mooted by Craigan and taken on by folk unable to see the bigger picture of a league semi final against hibs Versus the next 3-5 years of his appointment.

How anyone can lay the slightest blame at Gio’s door is beyond me. He did well to steer clear of that yesterday. It was an accident waiting to happen. Gerrard is the one to blame for jumping ship at such a crucial time. Missing one week for his new side would hardly effect anything and it was the least he could do for us after the opportunity we gave him.

That’s no excusing the players for their shit performance yesterday, but you need someone at the helm to guide the lead up and focus the players. The subs showed how out of their depth the replacement crew were. Did they get to pick one each ot something?

Exactly how to lose a dressing room and backroom staff in one fell swoop. Walk down Billy big baws and try and shout at people you don’t know and have zero working relationship with.

Laughable idea. Initially mooted by Craigan and taken on by folk unable to see the bigger picture of a league semi final against hibs Versus the next 3-5 years of his appointment.

Correct, we are not happy with some of the players but it would have disrespectful in the extreme to do what’s being suggested!!

He will have them in the training field today or tomorrow - it starts for Gio today

None of this is McCallum’s fault. The media need to lay off, it’s bullying.It’s not GVBs fault either.

Imagine Gio going out for dinner. The Record are showing the route they are going down before he’s even started. Petty, vindictive, cowardly has been journalists desperate to stay relevant so playing to their common denominator. I actually expect more xenophobic pish a la Caxinha.

Ridiculous article, designed purely to set a negative agenda around GVB before he even starts his job. I said that yesterday when the Craigan was saying the same during commentary. It was a dig designed very clearly to drag GVB into the negativity, I was disappointed that the likes of Kevin Thomson took the bait and supported the notion that GVB should have set off for the dressing room to have a word, with players he’s not even met yet. No surprise that a journalist is pushing the same agenda in this article, whoever it is.

This.

The source is hatred of Rangers & it’s disappointing that such as Kevin Thomson fell for it.

"Van Bronckhorst did make the trip to be there in person, just as Record Sport told you he would last week"

Naw ye didnae as you didn't even know what was or is going on behind the scenes.

Too many paragraphs for Jackson to write that on his own probably a zoom meeting between him Gabriel McKay, celtic bloggers Joe McHugh and James Forrest, straight out of the primary 7 school of journalism

Is it not the case that GvB doesn't have his work permit yet, couldn't have been in the dugout if he'd wanted to.
Pile of unadulterated pish, how does that get to press?
His work permit was granted.
Let's not kid ourselves. Most of us there yesterday at half time would rather have seen GVB in the dressing room taking charge of the team.

The substitutions were the most baffling I've ever seen in my life.

lady's front bottom of an article.
Whatever clown wrote that cant even get the basics right.

"No, this was an accident which had been waiting to happen from the moment Steven Gerrard strapped himself into the driver’s seat and bolted down the M6 in a cloud of dust."

He was filmed getting off a train ffs
Oh, ffs. That invalidates the whole article, does it...? Jesus F#ck... :oops: Are you a child? It wisny a car, it was a train..na, na,na,na....

An appearance in the dressing room.
A reminder of the Shelbourne game where in his first game they had gone 3 goals down.
A word of encouragement and a bit of advice not to panic.
Get it up quicker, support the strikers and make sure we gave ourselves a chance.

He didn't need to go screaming and shouting or take over. But an appearance and a bit of encouragement to everyone there would have gone a long way I felt.

Which is completely irrelevant given that we have plenty of players in the squad who weren’t even alive when this game happened.

McCallum was entrusted with running the team on the day, Gio sticking his oar in doesn’t work out well for anyone involved imo, himself included.

That is exactly why gutter rags like the daily record wanted him to do it, as they are absolutely desperate for him to crash and burn because he is employed by Rangers.

Last edited:
They‘d love to include this as one failed trophy already on GVB’s record. It is 100% on Gerrards, whatever he says.

When I started reading that,well that wasn't written by a rangers supporter, couldn't believe it,then looked at the bottom. Jackson you will never have any more stories from rangers fc, as your pals are long gone.may you and your paper rot in hell.no surrender w.a.t.p

And you were absolutely correct then and now. Gio should have been involved from the minute he signed his contract. I couldn’t give a flying %^*& about treating anyone at Rangers - who are all compensated handsomely for their efforts - with respect. How about treating the supporters who paid handsomely to watch that shite yesterday with some respect. That was a horrible defeat handled badly by Rangers, Gio and his advisers.

I knew as soon as I started reading that article that it was Jackson who wrote it. No actual analysis, just slagging people off about the colour of their hair and talking about Gerrard disappearing in a cloud of dust. His writing style is so 2002 it's actually cringeworthy.

Here's an article for you Keith;

A Daily Record 'journalist' was so bitter about not getting access to Rangers after years of abusing them and actively promoting their paedophile harbouring rivals, that his face turned into an exact likeness of a burnt pizza, and he cried himself to sleep every night.
He is so disgusting that a girl he once took on a date threw up on him (true fact).

Before I scrolled to the bottom I knew that would be written by that red faced helmet.

Still furious at being locked out and his colleagues being shown up for being bigots

Which is completely irrelevant given that we have plenty of players in the squad who weren’t even alive when this game happened.

McCallum was entrusted with running the team on the day, Gio sticking his oar in doesn’t work out well for anyone involved imo, himself included.

That is exactly why gutter rags like the daily record wanted him to do it, as they are absolutely desperate for him to crash and burn because he is employed by Rangers.
No . It's completely relevent.
Our outgoing manager came back from 3-0 down at half time to win a European trophy.

Our I'm coming manager started his playing career here losing 3-0.

At 1-3 yesterday our vice captain let his players think and believe that the game was done. With half the game still to go.
From his own mouth.

No one in the Rangers family is advocating he went in, took over, had a shout and ball and made 3 half time changes.

But to just sit and watch isn't a great look.
When the team admitted it was woefully short of a leader and belief.

No . It's completely relevent.
Our outgoing manager came back from 3-0 down at half time to win a European trophy.

Our I'm coming manager started his playing career here losing 3-0.

At 1-3 yesterday our vice captain let his players think and believe that the game was done. With half the game still to go.
From his own mouth.

No one in the Rangers family is advocating he went in, took over, had a shout and ball and made 3 half time changes.

But to just sit and watch isn't a great look.
When the team admitted it was woefully short of a leader and belief.

Which is a cop out from the players involved yesterday as far as I am concerned.

You are a professional player, you know the guy who is going to be in charge of your future is watching. It’s one game, have a bit of pride in your craft rather than just throwing you hands up in the air and saying “no leadership”.

That’s putting aside the abysmal displays from the likes of Tav and Goldson who as senior players should have been managing that aspect themselves.

He's not done a single training session with them, but should have taken the team? Aye, he could implement his style of play during the half time talk.

Utter pish.

Which is a cop out from the players involved yesterday as far as I am concerned.

You are a professional player, you know the guy who is going to be in charge of your future is watching. It’s one game, have a bit of pride in your craft rather than just throwing you hands up in the air and saying “no leadership”.

That’s putting aside the abysmal displays from the likes of Tav and Goldson who as senior players should have been managing that aspect themselves.
I have absolutely no issue with any of that.
The players let themselves down.
But just like KT, I wouldn't have sat and let that happen.
It won't play any part in what happens from today onward, nor should it though.
And of 2 evils, I'd have like to see Gio go in and try something.
Would Dick Advocate or Walter Smith have sat and watch the team he was taking over put in such a shit show in a semi final?
Maybe, but I don't think so.

And you were absolutely correct then and now. Gio should have been involved from the minute he signed his contract. I couldn’t give a flying %^*& about treating anyone at Rangers - who are all compensated handsomely for their efforts - with respect. How about treating the supporters who paid handsomely to watch that shite yesterday with some respect. That was a horrible defeat handled badly by Rangers, Gio and his advisers.
Being serious?

Is it not the case that GvB doesn't have his work permit yet, couldn't have been in the dugout if he'd wanted to.
Pile of unadulterated pish, how does that get to press?
Yeah that's a 100% correct, he couldn't interact and talk to the players before or during the game as he would ge breaking his visa rules, some people on here don't understand it either.
He goes to dressing room or dugout he's classed as working without a visa

A work permit covers the duration of his contract there for if he's officially starting today he was unable to do anything or he would be breaking the law. These rules have changed when we left the EU and am sure Jackson know this and if not shows you the so called journalist he is.

The Record are going to put the boot in-they are effectively at war with us.

Best ignored especially if you've been putting the boot into everything yourself.

Im actually beginning to pity the Bears in the pre internet era. Imagine this inane drivel was your only source for Rangers content?

You just know his parents arent proud of him.

Back