Do “neutrals” want Liverpool to win the premiership?

For me, and in the likelihood that there wont be another Leicester any time soon, yes I would like to see Liverpool winning the EPL this season.

Firstly, I think Klopp has been a breath of fresh air down there and on the media, and Liverpool haven't won it for decades now so why not.

Miraculous Chelsea comeback that climaxes with them winning it on the last day for me

However, much as I love the gaffer, City for me if it’s a straight choice between them and the scousers. Chelsea have always been my English team but I recall Man City getting a lot of love from the Bears back in the 70s. Man U & Liverpool were more favoured by the dark side (Ulster bears excepted, they’ve always had different preferences with English clubs as far as I can remember)

Liverpool had access to money long before City.
And City even won a European trophy first,
City used to be a proper football club & im aware they won the cup winners cup but they have been turned into something I don’t like,the owners could’ve bought wolves,Portsmouth or anybody and done the exact same.
Liverpool earned their great history but Man City have just bought the recent history which I think suck balls.
I’m talking about what city have became not what they used to be

I generally don’t care who wins the league in England, but I want Liverpool to win it this year for the Gaffer. He’s a Liverpool legend and he would love the club he adores to be crowned champions.
If it pleases Steven Gerrard it pleases me.

I hate all EPL teams from the Liverpool, Manchesters, Arsenal axis to the diddys like Watford and Bournemouth and the newbies like Wolves. Want them all to be pumped in the CL etc. Scousers believe their own propaganda that they are cheeky, humorous, salt of the earth types much beloved of all. In reality the rest of England think they are mawkish, self regarding tossers with a victim mentality. Not really thought of as proper English either, too much of the mentally challenged about them.

Would prefer spurs to win it tbh but if its out of city and liverpool I would like liverpool to win it as I have a strong dislike for man city.

My other team is Spurs so of course want them to win but would prefer Liverpool to win ahead of Man City.

Not normally but since I can't see Chelsea winning it then I wouldn't mind them winning it for a change. I have to say Klopp is a big factor, since I hated them before he turned up. Wish he'd gone to Chelsea. Also Man City are a soulless bunch IMO.

That's not true, fantastic history (let's be honest most club's in England have had great moments in history) with Loyal fans who were selling out despite back to back relegations. Similar to Sunderland and Leeds in more recent times. When we had owners you didn't agree with and had half the Season ticket holders we have now, did Rangers suddenly just become soulless ??because of the illegal/immoral nature of stealing future ST money to fund and buy the club. Not too dissimilar to the Man city ownership perhaps? What with the immoral nature of their oil investment from a corrupt Royal family!
No fan of City but you are so far wide of the mark, their fan base has Always only been 35k regardless of the division that is the sign of great fans to me, I'm sure they love winning things but if it goes tits up the same 35k will be there in League 2 Vs Macclesfield on a wet Tuesday night.
If having 15k extra 'tourist' fans for a sellout gives soul to your club, then it is the biggest load of wank I've heard for a while
It feels uncomfortable watching man city at times when the stadium has alot of empty seats especially in bigger games they should've never have expanded it. There is even talk the want to expand it by another 8000 to 63000 which seems ridiculous.

That's not true, fantastic history (let's be honest most club's in England have had great moments in history) with Loyal fans who were selling out despite back to back relegations. Similar to Sunderland and Leeds in more recent times. When we had owners you didn't agree with and had half the Season ticket holders we have now, did Rangers suddenly just become soulless ??because of the illegal/immoral nature of stealing future ST money to fund and buy the club. Not too dissimilar to the Man city ownership perhaps? What with the immoral nature of their oil investment from a corrupt Royal family!
No fan of City but you are so far wide of the mark, their fan base has Always only been 35k regardless of the division that is the sign of great fans to me, I'm sure they love winning things but if it goes tits up the same 35k will be there in League 2 Vs Macclesfield on a wet Tuesday night.
If having 15k extra 'tourist' fans for a sellout gives soul to your club, then it is the biggest load of wank I've heard for a while
city aren’t Souless. Sold out Maine road in lower leagues so that’s nonsense
That's historical they're souless in the sense that it's been ripped out of them from the owners, the move to the Etihad was a poor one.

Can't sell out even big home games, no atmosphere.

They've even had the cheek to not turn up in numbers to Champions League group stages games. It's still a relatively new experience for them. Absolutely not on the same scale as Liverpool, Man U or Arsenal .

city aren’t Souless. Sold out Maine road in lower leagues so that’s nonsense

City still have a great hardcore fan base.
That's historical they're souless in the sense that it's been ripped out of them from the owners, the move to the Etihad was a poor one.

They've even had the cheek to not turn up in numbers to Champions League group stages games. It's still a relatively new experience for them. Absolutely not on the same scale as Liverpool, Man U or Arsenal .

You could say exactly the same about Chelsea mate.
Arsenal, Spurs and even West Ham would all have way bigger traditional fan bases.

Even Liverpool were the poor relation on Merseyside until the Shankly era.

Everton were always traditionally the biggest team in Liverpool and were known as "The Millionaire's Club"

Shankly's success caused Liverpool to gain huge support from outside the city, many of whom never set foot within 200 miles of Anfield.

Nowadays I'd say every EPL club has a large percentage of plastic fans, mainly thanks to the Sky millions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like them to win it. I’d like Stevie G to be happy (plus it would guarantee Klopp’s job for a few years).

On the other hand, as someone with no allegiance and a wicked side it’d be pretty damn funny if they mucked it up again.

I
I would like them to win it. I’d like Stevie G to be happy (plus it would guarantee Klopp’s job for a few years).

On the other hand, as someone with no allegiance and a wicked side it’d be pretty damn funny if they mucked it up again.

Kind of where I am.

Can find positives in both scenarios.

While I enjoy the EPL it's hard really to get behind one club. Far too plastic these days.

I have no affiliation to any English club nor do I have any real preference of one above any other so the thought of Liverpool winning the premiership doesn’t really bother me.

If truth be told, if it keeps Stevie happy then I’m all for it. It will also mean Brendan’s one claim to fame down south (almost winning it) is basically gone.

What’s struck me on social media in the the last couple of months though is the amount of fans of clubs outwith the competing sides who clearly would rather anyone but Liverpool won it. Retweets from Arsenal fans saying (tongue in cheek) about happily losing to City to build their confidence to catch Liverpool. Random posts directed at West Ham saying all of football is behind you tonight.

Common theme seems to be the thought of Liverpool fans being unbearable should they at long last win a top flight title.

Are Liverpool (or probably more specifically their fans) really that disliked by neutrals?

I'd like them too..not sure why..

Generally couldn't care less about them but I really do hope they win it.

Sick of soulless shite like Man City and Chelsea winning it.

If I had to pick a club to win it I'd like Liverpool to do it because I like Klopp.

I don't support any English teams, I only support Rangers, so it doesn't really bother me who wins it. Would be good to see a team win that hasn't for a while. So if not Liverpool then Spurs.

No that aren’t as big as Liverpool United or Arsenal id agree

The Scouse Meltdown on social media since Monday has been unbelievable. Carragher insinuating Everton will lie down to City to f*ck Liverpool over, he said something along the lines of City/Utd ALWAYS win at Goodison when they are going for the title. They have utterly lost the plot in recent days and they aren't even close to the finishing line yet.

I speak to a few folk through work who are EPL fans and most seem to want Spurs to win it...and most don't want Liverpool just because it's funny. As one said "They want it so much, that each failure is funny if you're an outsider...".

The hatred of Liverpool from 'neutrals' is very similar to the hatred of Man Utd.
A team who controlled football down there for so long, and people just can't let that go for some reason.
Mainly 'Wee Man Syndrome' from wallopers who support teams like Forest, and can't handle their success while their mob are battling it out in the Championship.
I don't bother with EPL much, i'll watch a 'big game' but the overload of English football on the telly has put me off a bit.
I don't really care if Liverpool win it but I've never particularly liked them, and would prefer Spurs to win the league.

I don't follow an English team so I only want the team that plays the best football to win it. A lot of posters here are slagging City, but you can't deny that they played some sensational stuff last season, and they're still a bit good this year too.

Not relevant to the title race but Wolves have been excellent this season too, now they've found their feet. I hated them for years as I always associated them with Mick McCarthy and his brand of brutally turgid football, but NES has put together a good team with a proper continental feel to it. I hope Southampton continue to improve under Hassenhuttl as well; his Leipzig side when they first came up were a great watch.

I have no affiliation to any club in England, but I absolutely want to see one of the great European clubs win a title that they’re well overdue over a nothing club bankrolled by billionaires with a play-thing. Mon the pool

The fact that the shite like stoke and wba and Southampton can cherrypick the very best from true European giants like ourselves and the filth, And the great Dutch, Belgian, Austrian, and worldwide behemoths is something that has destroyed my love of football completely. Fùck them all. They have destroyed the game I loved. I hope they all gobust in their tiny little towns ad leave real football to clubs that can sustain their place as a true giant of the game due to their fanatical fan base and standing in the game

The fact that the shite like stoke and wba and Southampton can cherrypick the very best from true European giants like ourselves and the filth, And the great Dutch, Belgian, Austrian, and worldwide behemoths is something that has destroyed my love of football completely. Fùck them all. They have destroyed the game I loved. I hope they all gobust in their tiny little towns ad leave real football to clubs that can sustain their place as a true giant of the game due to their fanatical fan base and standing in the game

I agree with this to an extent. It's not the fault of teams like Stoke, West Brom etc. that the football has become big business; they're basically reaping the rewards of the advent of companies like Sky and BT paying outrageous sums for TV rights.

The problem is that most of the money goes into countries like England and Spain and other, smaller nations get left behind. The quality of the football suffers, and becomes further devalued, making it harder for Dutch/Belgian/Scottish/Scandinavian teams to retain their best players.

I read the article shared the other day about IFK Gothenburg, and a further one about KV Mechelen and their successes in the 70s/80s, and you realise that those days are gone. Without substantial investment, a small team will never probably reach those heights again, and it's sad.

I’ve never really been too bothered about who wins the premiership but I do want Liverpool to win it this year. I think the Stevie G connection has something to do with that though.

I have no affiliation to any club in England, but I absolutely want to see one of the great European clubs win a title that they’re well overdue over a nothing club bankrolled by billionaires with a play-thing. Mon the pool
Van Dijk £75m
Keita £48m
Allison £67m
Lallana £25m
Wijnaldum £25m
Its fair to say Liverpool spend more than the billionaires with their play thing at City.
A myth that City simply buy the title when others spend more.

A guy I know has Liverpool as their second team. The amount of stuff he retweets from some of their fan accounts has made me want them to throw this away. They come across as so entitled, arrogant even.

A couple of posts questioning things like Pep’s record, Aguero’s record v Salah etc. Get real.

Van Dijk £75m
Keita £48m
Allison £67m
Lallana £25m
Wijnaldum £25m
Its fair to say Liverpool spend more than the billionaires with their play thing at City.
A myth that City simply buy the title when others spend more.
No-one is saying Liverpool don’t need tospend big to get there. My point is they I’d rather see a European great win a title over a club that would be a yo-yo, if it wasn’t for the itchy finger of a billionaire with a product to sell

No-one is saying Liverpool don’t need tospend big to get there. My point is they I’d rather see a European great win a title over a club that would be a yo-yo, if it wasn’t for the itchy finger of a billionaire with a product to sell
Personally I detest Liverpool and would prefer anyone else to win it.In an ideal world they will lose it on the last day due to a cock up between the worlds most expensive centre half and the worlds most expensive goalkeeper.
This will give their supporters more time to reminisce about the 80s when they were relevant.

Hate Liverpool and think City are soulless.

I’d rather Spurs win it.
I am along the same lines. Always preferred Man U and loved it when Gerrard slipped against Chealsea (?) to lose them the league. Don't mind SG now though and he comes across really well but was never a fan before, especially because he was such a diver as a player.

Back