Do the board need to dig deep again to fund the rebuild

People say this every summer but our spending stays pretty much consistent year on year. At the end of the day this is Rangers, we find the money somewhere if it's needed.

And right now, it is most certainly needed.
Last year a good proportion of our expenditure was balanced by sales, we had a relatively small net spend.

This summer will be the same.

The bheasts midfield cost £3m to assemble. £1.5m for O'Riley, £1.5m for Hatate and nothing for McGregor. They won the game in midfield.

It's not how much money you spend, it is how you spend it.

We're already spending about £5m on Diomande, that's more than the three of them put together.
Spot on. We get our pants pulled down for bog standard no marks like Ben Davies and they go to the arse end of nowhere and find Hatate. We need a proper scouting network sourcing players, not just looking at Norwich and Preston to see who was a crackin’ player in the U21s

Disagree.

We can see promise in those 3 but again, Ridvan injured for most of his time here; Dujon huge injury/illness issues at Chelsea and now injured again for us; and Sima missed most of his Stoke loan with injury and now missed what, 4 months of our season?

You can’t excuse the players but we also can’t praise the manager for what *he* does to transform their fortunes when he comes in, then spin all the criticism onto the players when it goes tits up.

No reasonable human can look at our system on Saturday and tell me it was a well drilled side.
Injuries are a separate issue you said Clement had improved only Dessers which simply isn't true, it's not his fault those players like the rest then constantly get injured and he also inherited them, he didn't sign them.

We were very well drilled when he first arrived and it's since gone to shit yes. Ask yourself what's more likely - Did Clement win 3 leagues in a row with 2 different teams having absolute no structure at all or have a lot of these players just once again buckled under the pressure and lost form when it matters?

Saying "This is Rangers" doesn't really work when trying to magic up money.
We have a serious amount of wages going off the books. Borna and Lundstrum plus possibly Sima, Silva, Cifuentes, Cortes,
Maybe Tav and Goldson.
What amazes me about our recruitment over the past few seasons is the lack of Scandinavians, Asians, Aussies or New Zealanders especially compared to them.
We can only hope our new head of recruitment is casting his net in these excellent markets as well as UK.

It's a huge off season. They completely shat it in the transfer market last year and we missed our chance to beat them. I have no idea who is running their show, but if its the same people we have a chance.
We need to nail our recruitment, Clement said today he is "down the road" with recruitment so hopefully he has his eye on the right players.
Time will tell.

Was thinking earlier we basically spent £15m on Dessers this season. Danilo has been out essentially all season, Lammers and Cifu barely featured then got punted on loan. The only player we paid good money for who has actually contributed was Dessers. I’m sure we will spend the same amount again but it needs to be on the right players.

Three of the OOC guys have done their jobs for us, Butland, Sterling & Balogun, given his low salary.

Can the board spend big? What is our FFP like at moment?

I’d rather we cleared out as much as possible and get a core 14-16 first team standard players and get certain players from the B team and 18’s up to offer cover & build on from there.

There's ways around FFP.

The way we've struggled Dio's deal is one where the loan fee is essentially the 1st payment towards the agreed fee.

We need a major financial investor, until then we will struggle buying free agents and cheap replacements.
Sad but true.
Relying on a sugar daddy is a mistake imo.Thats what led us to the mess we ended up in.
A good scouting network,access to the CL,extended runs in the Europa and a good player trading model is the way forward.We need to be self sufficient instead of relying on benefactors.

We are hampered by FFP rules. If I won the Euromillions and wanted to give Rangers £50m I'm pretty sure it couldn't be spent on transfers due to FFP status but other posters know more about this than me.
You're correct.

We can only spend what we bring in.

Folk wanted to see a self sustainable Rangers. At the present time, this is what it looks like.

The board are a complete joke. The club turnover is massive and yet we’re scrambling around the bargain basement due to their financial mismanagement.

No, we shouldn't be flinging more money into a disappearing pot.

What we have to hope is that Kloppen can idenify players who are half decent and will eventually help us break the cycle of throwing in director loans.

It's not 1990s and Champ Manager with Jack Walker appearing at a club. The board can only appoint people who are good at the job and ensure that the business continues to run.

Murray really did do a number on the mindset of a lot of people's view on how a football club should work.
Sensible post.

So often the answer on here is somebody has to spend big. It's like people learned nothing from 2012.

The board have more than held up their side of the bargain. They gave huge surplus funds to Gio/wilson and Beale and both utterly fucked it. Thats all they can do.

No they didn't

From 21/22 onwards we have a net spend of minus £23m.

The board are a complete joke. The club turnover is massive and yet we’re scrambling around the bargain basement due to their financial mismanagement.
Pish.

What financial mismanagement? Backing the previous manager? If they had said "no Mick, yer signings look pish we'd have had threads on here moaning about them not backing him and being a complete joke.

Clubs that do their homework and have a properly functioning youth system can find bargains. Clubs that don't need the cheque book. Highly likely we'll be the latter.

We are hampered by FFP rules. If I won the Euromillions and wanted to give Rangers £50m I'm pretty sure it couldn't be spent on transfers due to FFP status but other posters know more about this than me.
You are correct club couldn't spend that on players but could on infrastructure that would ultimately bring in further cash on revenues which would then be allowed in FFP. Any external money should be spent on these areas which would allow money already there to go to the team.

Pish.

What financial mismanagement? Backing the previous manager? If they had said "no Mick, yer signings look pish we'd have had threads on here moaning about them not backing him and being a complete joke.

1. We turnover around £90m a season yet we have been relying on directors loans to keep the lights on.

2. We have wasted millions on legal costs due to our ineptitude at board level

3. The board have sanctioned a ridiculous amount of dross on huge wages. Our wage bill is an utter disgrace and they are responsible.

4. They spent a ludicrous amount of money on neh. How they managed to spend £10m plus on a big rectangular building is anyone’s guess. The fact it is profiting less than a corner shop is yet more mismanagement.

I don’t think we need to spend big money to win the league. We just need to sign the right kind of payers. we spent something like 4 million on Davies, we could easily have gotten a better player for 1 million if we do the right scouting etc

Our board appointed a manager in Gerrard that raised our standards and could beat Celtic regularly then failed to back him. What's our record against Celtic since he left due to not being backed.

There's mechanisms that they can do though like sponsoring at going rate, purchasing at going rate hospitality you can't just dump 50 mill in though on these things and there's elements that losses can be made a well

Real benefit would be paying for things like stadium expansion, purchasing land that gives the club larger security's etc

Although our board think it's a good idea to sell off land we have

We need 8 or 9 starters. With FFP rules I can't see how we bring in players of quality without selling Butland. Lammers should get us a decent fee, after a good loan spell but other than that I'm not sure we have much to sell. If Saudi money is on offer for Tav I'd take it.

There's absolutely no point buying more journeymen pros to wilt against Celtic.

1. We turnover around £90m a season yet we have been relying on directors loans to keep the lights on.

3. The board have sanctioned a ridiculous amount of dross on huge wages. Our wage bill is an utter disgrace and they are responsible.

4. They spent a ludicrous amount of money on neh. How they managed to spend £10m plus on a big rectangular building is anyone’s guess. The fact it is profiting less than a corner shop is yet more mismanagement.
With regards to point 2. Do we still need to be cautious in our spending in case the last remaining court battle doesn't go our way? I think I read it was £9.5m Elite sports were trying to use us for and the case will be heard later in the year.

People say this every summer but our spending stays pretty much consistent year on year. At the end of the day this is Rangers, we find the money somewhere if it's needed.

And right now, it is most certainly needed.
What does this even mean? I’ve read you make comments like this in the past and can only assume you’ve not yet reached your teens, because otherwise the years 2003 to 2012 passed you by and it would be the only explanation for such unrealistic naivety.

Spending 15m on Ed House has been an almighty blunder it won’t make the club money back for years if ever.

The board have gotten a lot right but have made some horrible mistakes with our money.
Infrastructure money won't be spent on the team. It's bringing in revenue that wasn't there before though. I get what you say about pay for itself though but need to judge it on a full years accounts.

We get disillusioned by a performance and we scream rebuild, whilst at the same time we have FFP peeking at us. If one of our directors / shareholders were to say, “here’s £100m, sort this out”, there would very little we could actually do. We would need money coming in from sales with a proportion of revenue built in. So unless the £21m for SJ is real, it’s bargain basement time again.

We get disillusioned by a performance and we scream rebuild, whilst at the same time we have FFP peeking at us. If one of our directors / shareholders were to say, “here’s £100m, sort this out”, there would very little we could actually do. We would need money coming in from sales with a proportion of revenue built in. So unless the £21m for SJ is real, it’s bargain basement time again.
Well they would "sponsor" us to get round that.Name the stadium after them or whatever it takes.
If the board don't find money then we will be looking at yet another manager as Clement is not going to hang around and damage his reputation in a 2 horse league

What does this even mean? I’ve read you make comments like this in the past and can only assume you’ve not yet reached your teens, because otherwise the years 2003 to 2012 passed you by and it would be the only explanation for such unrealistic naivety.
Aye right enough we're about to have another 2012 and hit Admin 2.0.

Wise up man, you're hitting out with pure scum patter comparing that period of time to now.

The past few summers have shown we find the money from somewhere. I don't know how anyone can dispute that, it's just factually what has happened.

When investment is needed, we find it because Rangers comes first and that goes for a lot of people.

I just don’t understand why we can’t go and get players of at least 6ft in height, skilful and technical in ability with an eye for a pass, there’s loads of players like that out there that are good enough to play for us. Even guys of a smaller stature will do but they’ve got to have some semblance of technical ability. We sorely that a good scouting system that identifies players of a certain profile that have good mentality as well as being able to pass a ball forwards and not being afraid to attack.
It's annoying how much Lewis Ferguson fits that description of the player we need.

People go on about Shankland and I agree we should have signed him and probably still should.

But Ferguson's the one that got away for me.

Obviously he has made huge strides in Serie A and maybe he wouldn't have imroved by quite the same extent with us. But he definitely would have improved from the player he was at Aberdeen. And the improvement he would have brought to our side is painful for me to think about just now with the current state of our midfield.

1. Turnover and profit are two very different things

2. Take that up with Dave King. How many times did he say we were free of Ashley only for there to be another court case, or another hidden bill?

3. See previous point on if the board(s) had told Beale/Gio "no, we don't think he's worth that" - this forum would have been in uproar about Romanov style interference

4. The fact NEH has turned any profit in it's first year is remarkable, regardless of how you want to frame it. For any hospitality venture it's usually 3 years minimum before profit. That's quite the opposite of mismanagement. Also, you've just shown with this "point" that you don't have a clue about FFP and how it works.

We aren't getting anywhere near that for Butland.

Total madness.
Jack Butland was a free transfer, if he hasn’t got a massive percentage of any future transfer fee built in for himself, he’s an idiot.

We won’t make anywhere near that on big Jack!

It's annoying how much Lewis Ferguson fits that description of the player we need.

People go on about Shankland and I agree we should have signed him and probably still should.

But Ferguson's the one that got away for me.

Obviously he has made huge strides in Serie A and maybe he wouldn't have imroved by quite the same extent with us. But he definitely would have improved from the player he was at Aberdeen. And the improvement he would have brought to our side is painful for me to think about just now with the current state of our midfield.
Snobbery mate, that and a fear of failure from the board. The track record hasn’t exactly been great with signings so the board splashing £4m for Ferguson with almost no guarantees of success would have put them off. The problem is with that, that’s the clubs problem and not the players. Ferguson would have been a huge success here, and easily would have been Captain as well, but the snobbery in and out of the club put paid to that.

It would have been the same with someone like McGinn for that lot. They shat paying £3.5m or whatever for him, but look at him now, another one lost to the league due to snobbery.

We need to start utilising the quality in this league and stop pushing for bang average shite from England and Europe.
Plenty of players up here more than good enough, you’ve just got to take the chance and help them realise their potential.

We decided not to spend money on Shankland in January and have now lost out on £30m. Cant see them digging deep in the summer.

Back