Do we recall Ross McCrorie in January?

This place is absolutely unreal at times. We go from being world beaters one week to recalling on loan players the next. We really need to start being more realistic as a support.

We dropped points at a ground that is a tricky place to go, far better Rangers teams have struggled there. I get that it wasn't the greatest Hearts team we've ever faced but it's still a tough place to go.

It seems if we don't win every league game this place just loses it's mind.

A point or better on Thursday and we'll be back to world beaters again though.

Spot on.

I understand a lot of the frustration about yesterday, I feel it myself, but there seems to be a reasonably sized portion of our support who won’t be happy unless we win every single game.

No point in him staying another 4 months at Portsmouth if hardly playing.
We should find him another loan at a club who will play him.
I'm quite surprised at this.
I have to admit to not keeping tabs on him every week to check his progress but the last I heard he was winning MOTM reviews every other week.
What happened?

We’re doing absolutely fine.

The tunnel vision people get after a single bad result is baffeling.
The swing from sugar to shite from some supporters when we drop a point is verging on the spectrum of bi-polar!
Super Highs and Devastating Lows!
Of course as Rangers fans we fkn hate losing anything...even a point...but some folk really need to catch a grip!

I have to admit to not keeping tabs on him every week to check his progress but the last I heard he was winning MOTM reviews every other week.
What happened?

He got sent off, then soon after got brought off before being sent off again.
I don't think the manager trusts him to stay on the park.

He wouldn’t even be on the bench at Ibrox. If he can’t regain his place at Pompey recall him - but only if we have somewhere else to send him who will pay their share of his wages. Otherwise, leave him where he is.
That’s what I mean. He’s supposed to be getting “developed” that’s not happening on the bench. Lend him out elsewhere. It seems that we pay more attention to the development of loanees than others seem to do.

What happened?
It's his brother the goalie at Queen of the South getting MOTM, Ross has barely featured and I think he only had one good game, the rest of the time he was poor which is why he doesn't get past the bench

Go listen to the gaffers post match interview, he says we didn't earn the right to play our game. Kinda what I'm saying, OK the gaffer doesn't fancy McCrorie but without Jack no-one I'm our current squad can do what Jack brings to the party
I think Polster can.

It's clear that we missed Ryan Jack yesterday. Ross McCrorie would have been the obvious replacement for Jack in the team if he was still here, which begs the question: do we recall him in January?

As documented on here following a bright start he's found playing time hard to come by on the South Coast due to a spell of indiscipline on the park and then struggling to regain his starting spot for whatever reason.

Hopefully Jack doesn't suffer any further injuries this season but its clear we need an option if he does. I'm not sure if Ross is the answer or that it would be good for his development to be a permenant understudy at Rangers but I'm not sure what other options we have.

What day the folk of FF, is Ross the answer, do we look to bring in additional cover or is the answer at the club already?
Hahaha naw!

I would recall him and send him on a more useful loan deal or have him as part of our squad as competition for right back a decent option on the bench because of his versatility .

Not for me. I can't see him adding to the overall quality of the squad at the moment and we don't need any more players making up numbers in the midfield. He's better having a chance down south.

I don't think Ross is good enough. Never have done. Vastly over rated by many and is quite limited as a midfielder. Even worse centre half. Facts are we are not winning titles with Ross in midfield.

Follow Follow at it’s hilarious, collectively amnesiac best;

Not so long back there was a consensus that big Ross was the real deal, a leader, a standout in a failing team and last but not least, a future captain. Now he is a big duffer surplus to requirements!

it is symptomatic of what I think our manager gets wrong, let me qualify this by saying that I am mostly happy with SG’s tenure thus far. But and it’s a concerning but he is denying us what he was at Liverpool and what every successful Rangers side has had at its fulcrum ...Young players who have grown up living and breathing the club, who’s died in the woolness inspires them and others to walk through brick walls for the club.

If I am honest Europe is a nice bonus, but winning the league has to be our priority and many of the doubts and failings of last season still plague me and us as a team this season. At home Ibrox is becoming a fortress again except when the manager makes utterly baffling and contrary tactical decisions against our title rivals.

Gerrard’s lack of consistency of decision and clear favouritism cost us last season when the league was truly up for grabs. Katic found this out when unfairly dropped in favour of the inferior Worral. McCrorie and co played an absolute blinder against BR’s filth at Ibrox on the 29th December last year only for the manager to bring in Davis and Defoe (two players who had hardly kicked a ball for six months) effectively snubbing the guys who had played the filth off the park in December.

The subsequent loss at Rugby Park fully undermined our challenge whilst handing the momentum back to the filth. I think this period really screwed with young Ross’s head and self belief and he palpably regressed. I look at Sunday’s team and whilst I think Ojo and Aribo are very skilful young players, games like Sundays just seem to pass them by.

Mcrories graft, pace, athleticism, tackling and drive would have been much more productive than the contribution offered by both Aribo and Ojo. I think young Docherty has had a raw deal also and if I am being honest the team was more balanced with Candeias in it, Tav toils without him. (And for those pegging Daniel C as not technically gifted, go watch the Marseille game again)

The balance of the team in domestic terms is not quite there, we have toiled in every away game against pretty dire fodder. If SG is going to lead us to the title it is going to take a lot more steel and endeavour and less under achieving luxury players.

Rangers fans do not accept that kind of performance against a motivated but pretty limited Hearts side who merely out muscled and out fought us. Popcorn teeth found out to his cost at Livingston that uncommitted tippy, tappy football gets punished by an aggressive, motivated physical approach.

Rangers needs Rangers men and big Ross is undoubtedly a Rangers man who for me has something about him if treated fairly. He is a horse for certain courses as are Ojo and Aribo.

Last edited:
It is great McCrorrie is a Rangers man, the problem is his base skills and in particular passing are at times utterly dross for the level we play at - he is a destroyer who has been found wanting too often in 90% of games we play in a season.

He is so far removed from the players in our team like Davis, Jack and Arfield who are Rangers men, or even Kamara who isn't a Rangers man but a technically superior football player.

If I was fully invested in the idea we needed Rangers men to win a league I would back me to be playing every week - at least then it means a bit more to me.

It is great McCrorrie is a Rangers man, the problem is his base skills and in particular passing are at times utterly dross for the level we play at - he is a destroyer who has been found wanting too often in 90% of games we play in a season.

He is so far removed from the players in our team like Davis, Jack and Arfield who are both Rangers men, or even Kamara who isn't a Rangers man but a technically superior football player.

If I was fully invested in the idea we needed Rangers men to win a league I would back me to be playing every week - at least then it means a bit more to me.

Absolute nonsense!! Ross played an absolute blinder against the filth in December, he was a giant in every dept. His confidence was eroded by being immediately dropped in favour of an unfit Davis at Kilmarnock!!

Absolute nonsense!! Ross played an absolute blinder against the filth in December, he was a giant in every dept. His confidence was eroded by being immediately dropped in favour of an unfit Davis at Kilmarnock!!

Correct, he did - a game when he had to destroy the tactics of another teams, that accounts for about 10% of games we play in a season if we make Europe

The vast majority of games we play are games when we need to dominate the ball, create chances and score goals - and in the majority of his performances with us McCrrorie has been found wanting at that particular skill.

His passing is miles away from where we need it to be.

Correct, he did - a game when he had to destroy the tactics of another teams, that accounts for about 10% of games we play in a season if we make Europe

The vast majority of games we play are games when we need to dominate the ball, create chances and score goals - and in the majority of his performances with us McCrrorie has been found wanting at that particular skill.

His passing is miles away from where we need it to be.

I would say that qualifies just about every away game domestically! Further he drives the team forward from his own eighteen yard box as opposed to the interminable backwards and sideways passing we saw on Sunday. Further Kante is perhaps the most disruptive player in the EPL and both Leicester and Chelsea played him every game, go figure! (Not saying Mcrorie is on Kantes level, but he is a disrupter)

I would say that qualifies just about every away game domestically! Further he drives the team forward from his own eighteen yard box as opposed to the interminable backwards and sideways passing we saw on Sunday. Further Kante is perhaps the most disruptive player in the EPL and both Leicester and Chelsea play him every game, go figure!

I can't say I have seen that mythical figure often to be honest - nor can I say I (or most) have left many games this season thinking "aucht if only we had McCrrorie today"

Speaking about Kante in relation to McCrorie is slightly ridiculous - one is a polished multiple league and World Cup winner, the other is loan at Portsmouth.

I can't say I have seen that mythical figure often to be honest - nor can I say I (or most) have left many games this season thinking "aucht if only we had McCrrorie today"

Speaking about Kante in relation to McCrrorie is slightly ridiculous - one is a polished multiple league and World Cup winner, the other is loan at Portsmouth.

I was merely pointing out that top teams play a disrupter every game, and made it plain I was not comparing like for like. Your derisory opinion of McRorie does not match the player that many Rangers fans and commentators touted for great things.

I was merely pointing out that top teams play a disrupter every game, and made it plain I was not comparing like for like. Your derisory opinion of McRorie does not match the player that many Rangers fans and commentators touted for great things.

In the example you referenced you made mention on a World Class football player being played by a team - an established, polished, defined talent who has just about every skill he needs locked down and running at full tilt.

A situation so far removed from Ross McRorie.

Your last point is a bit moot to me to be honest, people say and think things... grand.

In the example you referenced you made mention on a World Class football player being played by a team - an established, polished, defined talent who has just about every skill he needs locked down and running at full tilt.

A situation so far removed from Ross McRorie.

Your last point is a bit moot to me to be honest, people say and think things... grand.

Nope, you are just being obtuse, I merely used the Chelsea/Kante analogy to illustrate that a disrupter is employed 100% of the time at a higher level of football and that your 10% assertion was total nonsense. To that end I still maintain that MCrorie would have offered considerably more at Tynecastle on Sunday than the anemic combined offerings of Ojo and Aribo.

Nope, you are just being obtuse, I merely used the Chelsea/Kante analogy to illustrate that a disrupter is employed 100% of the time at a higher level of football and that your 10% assertion was total nonsense. To that end I still maintain that MCrorie would have offered considerably more at Tynecastle on Sunday than the anemic combined offerings of Ojo and Aribo.

I'm really not - Chelsea play Kante because he is a World Cup winning football player - he evidently brings far more to the table than Ross McRorie, they aren't in any way comparable even in the context of a player playing in the EPL vs Scotland - it is a bit like justifying us starting Joe Dodoo when he was with us because Barca play Messi, both are "forwards" so it is sort of the same

One is close to complete at what he does, the other isn't.

I think what you are saying re McCrorie vs Ojo in particular is a bit mad - they are asked to do different things but that's the grand thing about players not playing games of football, they can become whatever they want - albeit even in this instance the reinvented scenario of the game that would have been with McCrorie seems incredibly farfethced

I'm really not - Chelsea play Kante because he is a World Cup winning football player - he evidently brings far more to the table than Ross McRorie, they aren't in any way comparable even in the context of a player playing in the EPL vs Scotland - it is a bit like justifying us starting Joe Dodoo when he was with us because Barca play Messi, both are "forwards" so it is sort of the same

One is close to complete at what he does, the other isn't.

I think what you are saying re McCrorie vs Ojo in particular is a bit mad - they are asked to do different things but that's the grand thing about players not playing games of football, they can become whatever they want - albeit even in this instance the reinvented scenario of the game that would have been with McCrorie seems incredibly farfethced

I’m clearly wasting my time, as with McCrorie you are only seeing what it suits your rather narrow agenda to see...I did not directly compare him with Kante, but I think we both know that.

I previously talked about players being horses for courses, most Scottish premiership away grounds are not courses for the luxury combination of Aribo and Ojo...They demand a more energetic, driving and aggressive approach to the midfield, I’d have sacrificed at least one of them for more dig!!

I’m clearly wasting my time, as with McCrorie you are only seeing what it suits your rather narrow agenda to see...I did not directly compare him with Kante, but I think we both know that.

I previously talked about players being horses for courses, most Scottish premiership away grounds are not courses for the luxury combination of Aribo and Ojo...They demand a more energetic, driving and aggressive approach to the midfield, I’d have sacrificed at least one of them for more dig!!

"narrow agenda".... and no, you didn't compare them directly but even mentioning them together is a bit daft in all honesty.

So the horses, and courses that have seen us undefeated away from home in the league with 10 points from 12.... that thing..... not the "%^*& we need Ross McCrorie" thing.

Do wonder how often people are actually watching us this season or if they just have a BT subscription and dip in and out of the season...

Last edited:
For me,the mystery is why isn’t young Docherty not getting a fair chance.
I really like his style of game.

Because he’s not good enough. There’s no real mystery, he’s a hard working player and a good professional but doesn’t have the ability required.

An unconvincing 4-0 eh.... would have been 7 with McCrorie...

How selective 3.5 poor performances out of four away from home and you choose to crow about the .5.

Not very Rangers like of you, I expect better of the team given what’s been invested in it over the past two years playing against teams with a fifth of our budget.

I rate RMcC & think he has the potential to do well in the future - whether thats with us or elsewhere remains to be seen of course

However I can't personally see him competing for a first team place with us this season

He has limitations that we're not in a position to 'absorb' into our side right now - even allowing for dips in form from other more established players currently ahead of him in the queue

IMO he's still better off where he is - both for him & us -

If he has to fight harder for his place at Pompey then that's still part of the learning process- & is character building

Overcoming his weaknesses & working on his strengths to come onto consistent form is something he'll need to get used to & I'd rather he did that while out on loan rather than be on the fringe with us

We are top of the league , not bottom.

Moot point...Winning the league is the only acceptable position for this Rangers team and to do that we still have to improve. The next 8 weeks, chock full of difficult away games will be a true indicator as to whether we can win the league this season.

To be honest I suspect we shall be trailing the filth by the end of December given the paucity of our away form and the fact the we have what amounts to 7 or 8 cup finals coming up.

I rate RMcC & think he has the potential to do well in the future - whether thats with us or elsewhere remains to be seen of course

However I can't personally see him competing for a first team place with us this season

He has limitations that we're not in a position to 'absorb' into our side right now - even allowing for dips in form from other more established players currently ahead of him in the queue

IMO he's still better off where he is - both for him & us -

If he has to fight harder for his place at Pompey then that's still part of the learning process- & is character building

Overcoming his weaknesses & working on his strengths to come onto consistent form is something he'll need to get used to & I'd rather he did that while out on loan rather than be on the fringe with us

If passing and discipline (decision making) are his weaknesses then he has the perfect man in his manager to work with in addressing them.

How selective 3.5 poor performances out of four away from home and you choose to crow about the .5.

Not very Rangers like of you, I expect better of the team given what’s been invested in it over the past two years playing against teams with a fifth of our budget.

Where as dwelling on wins and saying "win more better" is incredibly "FF" of you....

Do tell, do you still dwell on our tragic display away to Invernesss in 2010-11...you know the one when Beattie was too fat to sneak one in at the back post to win it..

Our or loss, that's right loss that season at Tynecastle when Ness nearly the split the bar in two..

Or even our brutally fought out 2-1 win early that season at Hamilton when we were, and this is being kind, fucken shite..

Not very Rangersesque at all that eh....

mediocre displays on the road while collecting points on the way to a league win with a team who had an even more extravagant budget spent on it than this current one....Rangers! never....

Thankfully my grammar is better than our away performances in which I allegedly want us ‘to win more better’ ;-)

This is now and that was then! We are a side who has lost its mojo in terms of winning trophies and titles pitted against a team and manager who are not. It is quite clear that our level is going to have to be considerably more consistent and reliable than ever before given where we’ve come from and what’s militated against us.

If passing and discipline (decision making) are his weaknesses then he has the perfect man in his manager to work with in addressing them.

Fair points -
But regrettably imoroved passing & better discipline aren't the only weaknesses our manager would need to work on -

His positional sense & work off the ball weren't great before either

Then that positional sense would need to be developed while he gets up to speed with our other players in the team & they in turn would need to get used to his style of play

I'd hope we could accommodate him quickly - but there's no guarantee - & the likeliehood
is it could take longer
If he returned in January - it might be well into March before he was up to 1st team selection

Meanwhile I'd probaly prefer our manager to concentrate his efforts towards other players & / or areas

So back to my earlier comment - he's potentially going to learn more & build more character where he is rather than be around the fringes of our first team - in my opinion

We were dire in the first 45 mins, toiled even and improved second 45, at times it was quite unconvincing in the manner of Kilmarnock, St Mirren and Hearts.
We started last season very poor away from home but gradually got it sorted, i think the same will happen this season and thankfully we havent dropped as many points as we did last season in the opening away games.

We started last season very poor away from home but gradually got it sorted, i think the same will happen this season and thankfully we havent dropped as many points as we did last season in the opening away games.

That is the key, especially as our home form, barring the tactical brain fart v the filth, has improved. lets hope we improve our away form. If we don’t then we cannot negate the being refereed to a different standard which will invariably rear its head when and if the filth start toiling and squealing to their media place men and women.

Back