Do We Sign a New Keeper In The Summer?

Rupert Pupkin

We're potentially looking at McGregor's last season and what a player he's been for us. Do we need to bring in a first choice keeper in the summer?

The other option is McLaughlin as first choice with maybe McCrorie on the bench. I can't shake the feeling though that as good as McLaughlin is he's just not good enough to be a full time Rangers number 1.

If and hopefully when we get that Champions League money I'd be advocating buying a quality keeper that could play for us for a few years and also have potentially a massive sell on fee. We have the scouting structure in place so I would hope we'd be able to identify such a player.

Potential champions League money and money brought in through player sales, this summer could be the perfect time to invest in a quality replacement for one of our greatest ever Goalkeepers.

What would you like to see?

Last edited:
We’re capable of attracting a better goalkeeper than Jon McLaughlin so if the price is right then of course we should do it, regardless of how competent McLaughlin has looked when he’s played.

Our next goalie is hopefully pretty handy with his feet as well, as even having McLaughlin (who isn’t exactly Ederson with it at his feet) in goals against Lyon on Thursday showed how deficient McGregor is in that area of his game compared to modern keepers.

Yes I think we will bring in a new number 1.

Depending on McLaughlin it may be a back up too.

Tim Krul- 33 playing at Norwich.

Plenty of experience.

Just a suggestion.

Obviously a difficult position to fill, just look at that mob for how much of an arse you can make of it. It's a very big decision thanks to just how good McGregor has been for us.

GK
CB
CM x2

I think we need the above to go straight into our first team.

McLaughlin isnt good enough to be number 1.. he has good attributes but I never feel he's going to pull that wonder save out that wins us the game.

McGregor is worth 10 points a season with big moments.. I don't think McLaughlin has that.

Would depend on how much is available to the manager for bringing players in. There would be other positions we could be doing with players in that would be more of a priority like replacing Goldson for me.
I think this is an excellent point!

In a perfect world we would all obviously want the best player possible in every position, but our finances are tight so it’s about making decisions on what the priorities are and what compromises can possibly be made.

With Jon McLaughlin already at the club, a very competent, experienced, and excellent keeper in his own right, I think there will potentially be more pressing areas to spend our finite transfer budget. Especially as McCrorie is also at the club!

Another to keep an eye on would be Daniel Bachmann. Linked with us before, had a good spell at Kilmarnock. Now at Watford and struggling for game time but is a talented boy.

I think McLaughlin deserves his chance. Only thing I worry about with him is I don't think he'll pull of worldy saves like McGregor, but think he's a safe pair of hands IMO.

So we have an International keeper, who hasn`t let us down, ever.

And some want to spunk a load of money on someone else :) :) :)
He's a 34 year old International goalkeeper who plays for Scotland and Rangers, and isn't first choice for either.

Yes I'd still like us to invest in a better goalkeeper if possible.

I’d say we’ll have other positions that might see a lot of upheaval in the team so some continuity in goals would be helpful

Given the quotas for home grown/Scottish players in the European squads, I’d think it is likely that we will want to keep Jon as our first choice goalie next season (assuming shagger retires).

We're potentially looking at McGregor's last season and what a player he's been for us. Do we need to bring in a first choice keeper in the summer?

The other option is McLaughlin as first choice with maybe McCrorie on the bench. I can't shake the feeling though that as good as McLaughlin is he's just not good enough to be a full time Rangers number 1.

If and hopefully when we get that Champions League money I'd be advocating buying a quality keeper that could play for us for a few years and also have potentially a massive sell on fee. We have the scouting structure in place so I would hope we'd be able to identify such a player.

Potential champions League money and money brought in through player sales, this summer could be the perfect time to invest in a quality replacement for one of our greatest ever Goalkeepers.

What would you like to see?

I thought he was second choice. Sorry. Good keeper though.
No apology necessary buddy he was injured for a few games and Ben Foster was deputising for him.I would prefer young McCrorie to get a chance and would like to see the money spent elsewhere.

He's a 34 year old International goalkeeper who plays for Scotland and Rangers, and isn't first choice for either.

Yes I'd still like us to invest in a better goalkeeper if possible.
Well Kepa cost Chelsea £71m - I doubt we'll pay that so at what price would you like us to look for an international goalkeeper?

Back