Docherty reminds me of a young Arfield

I would not be writing him off yet. He does not have the technical, ball retention or passing skills of our current midfield BUT he does offer something different with strength, running power and tackling. Maybe next year SG will realise in some games in Scotland these skills are necessary.

He reminds me at times of Alex MacDonald. Could be very useful in the squad against SPL hammer throwers. Today at Tynecastle we’ll need battlers out there. Maybe not for Europe, so much though.

You just know if we sell to Hibs hes gona score against us every time we play them. Duno why it doesn't seem to happen for him at us. Cant just be coincidence.

The way he ghosts in to the box to get on the end of chances, added to his workrate, his fitness and knack of being in the right place at the right time in the area.

Yet another goal tonight.

Regardless of whether he stays or goes I hope he has a fine career.
He brings something different to the table than our other midfielders.

He may not, at this stage, be as accomplished in possession as those currently playing for us but he is much more dynamic and more of a goal threat.

I can't help but feel he'd be more suited to our domestic game than our present midfield, while accepting their suitability for Europe.

He's one I'd be retaining.

Docherty is good enough to play for us and his treatment has been poor by the management team IMO.

Managers get player evaluations wrong all the time, you only have to look at the back tracking on Matt Polster from our management team to see they aren’t perfect.

I personally believe Docherty is exactly what our midfield needs in the league at the moment. Pace, power, drive and a goal threat. It’s a shame he’s showing it for Hibs and not us.

Docherty is good enough to play for us and his treatment has been poor by the management team IMO.

Managers get player evaluations wrong all the time, you only have to look at the back tracking on Matt Polster from our management team to see they aren’t perfect.

I personally believe Docherty is exactly what our midfield needs in the league at the moment. Pace, power, drive and a goal threat. It’s a shame he’s showing it for Hibs and not us.
Before Jan though who's place does he realistically take?

We were pretty much favourites for the league before the winter break. If we put ourselves in Gerrard's shoes, why would we change the midfield after a few poor performances after coming back in January?

On top of that stick someone in who sometimes didn't even make the bench. He was certainly surplus to requirements then as was Murphy because of his return from injury and no one as far as I can recall had any major problems with either going out on loan.

He brings something different to the table than our other midfielders.

He may not, at this stage, be as accomplished in possession as those currently playing for us but he is much more dynamic and more of a goal threat.

I can't help but feel he'd be more suited to our domestic game than our present midfield, while accepting their suitability for Europe.

He's one I'd be retaining.

This is exactly my thinking, he's more liable to drift in to the box an score than most of our midfielders and even score from outside the box. Like you I'd be keeping him but going with other players for most of the European games, he can bring something off the bench late on if needed.

Okay so player of the year at Shrewsbury means he’s going to be a quality premier league player. Makes much more sense when you put it like that.

lets add obtuse to the list of qualities your arguments possess;

If SG loans Docherty out, to say Shrewsbury and Docherty plays out of his skin, gets rave reviews week in, week out culminating with him being their player of the year...Does that not suggest that he has done the maximum SG could have expected of him, yes?

After all SG is the one that decided that Shrewsbury was a good place for him to prove himself and develop. He came back at the end of his loan period and despite his rave reviews was given little or no first team exposure in competitive games.

Now if he does the same thing at Hibs, which on early evidence, looks likely, in the same league, wouldn’t one see a pattern forming regarding the lads progress and ability? Perhaps Docherty thrives on playing regularly in competitive matches as opposed to the odd meaningless friendly and early stage bet Fred cup matches never to be seen again.

Docherty is a very good player and pro whom in my opinion is good enough and informed in regard to what it takes to play and thrive at Rangers if given a fair crack of the whip. I would say the same for Ross McRorie who was a stand out as a young player in a toiling Rangers side, a Rangers man and leader who also deserves better than his current fate.

We were pretty much favourites for the league before the winter break. If we put ourselves in Gerrard's shoes, why would we change the midfield after a few poor performances after coming back in January?

On top of that stick someone in who sometimes didn't even make the bench. He was certainly surplus to requirements then as was Murphy because of his return from injury and no one as far as I can recall had any major problems with either going out on loan.
He was worthy of a place on the bench in a lot of games surely?

I like Docherty but we cannot accept players who are not good enough just because they are one of us, sad truth, that said I hope the lad proves me wrong

He never was given a run of games here.
I would have him in my squad before the likes of Kamara.Fingers crossed SG thinks the same.
Gerrard won’t think the same because like anyone with any football knowledge they’d prefer Kamara at this point because he is far superior player.

For those decrying the fact that he’s performing in our league for Hibs and suggesting that’s his level...Remember McGinn? Need I say more, ok I will, Docherty has not had a fair crack of the whip under SG.
If Gerrard can give, Ojo, Barker, Ejaria, a run of games then there's no excuse why he can't have a run. Clearly this boy has something and this "it's his level" drivel needs dumped, atleast till he gets a run of atleast 5-8 games to show what he can offer.

If Gerrard can give, Ojo, Barker, Ejaria, a run of games then there's no excuse why he can't have a run. Clearly this boy has something and this "it's his level" drivel needs dumped, atleast till he gets a run of atleast 5-8 games to show what he can offer.

The lad has done everything and more than has been asked of him during his loan spells and deserves his chance. As you rightly say the ‘it’s his level’ drivel is entirely moot until he’s a proper run in the team.

It will be interesting to see how Docherty performs for Hibs when they next meet the yahoos. I imagine the Rangers coaching staff will be looking on with great interest.

I dont understand why if gerrard really didnt see a future for doc then why not punt him to or after his stint at Shrewsbury where his performances were drawing attention making him easier to sell. It's a given hes not gonna get the game time he needs with our preferred midfield lineup. I think he has attributes which can be built on and I do think he will have a part to play. I think his loan spell at hibs is nothing more than a chance of regular game time and an opportunity to hone his skills in a competitive environment.
Boxing clever, there were no significant offers for him so leave him on loan and hope he attracts offers. He's a player we can get a fee for though not rangers class. Much the same eau Liverpool did with Kant.
I love the way folk just right Docherty off because he didn't hit the ground running when he came here, I bet they're the same ones screaming about Barasic last season not being good enough. Docherty came into the side at a time when we were struggling, a time when the likes of Ryan Jack was struggling, indeed Docherty totally bossed the Rangers midfield at Ibrox. He's played well on his 2 loan spells and even got good reviews this season in the closed door games, he's made 1 start this season in a side with half a dozen changes in hellish weather conditions when no one shined. If Gerrard doesn't fancy him then fine but don't give me this he's poor crap as that's just nonsense
I wouldn't say he's crap, he's just not the level we aspire to be. Gerrard seen him every day in training. He's a player who gives the ball away far too often to play for us.

i actually believe that Docherty could play as well as Davis has done the last 6 weeks

The way he ghosts in to the box to get on the end of chances, added to his workrate, his fitness and knack of being in the right place at the right time in the area.

They are very similar in style.

I like Docherty but we cannot accept players who are not good enough just because they are one of us, sad truth, that said I hope the lad proves me wrong
Exactly. We need to remember also that we should be upgrading the midfield come the summer. Hagi being one in the door at least for midfield.

I think you are only thinking the way Arfield has been playing for us.. He was never what you are describing when he was a youngster at Falkirk

Would you not agree that we sometimes need a bit more muscle and grit in our midfield against some of the less technical teams in our league he would give us that,I'm not saying he would replace Jack but he could play alongside him sometimes you need an Aribo type player and sometimes you require someone more direct who is physically strong and fast he might not be a Hagi but he could help us win some of our "bread and butter" matches IMHO

I like Greg Docherty, as a person. Seems like a likeable guy.

He’ll never be a starter for Rangers though. I don’t even see him being a suitable enough squad player. We need a squad of players challenging each other. I don’t see Doc challenging any of our current midfielders, never mind us wanting to go up a level, or two, in there.

I would love to be proven wrong. I don’t think I am though.

Hibs seem to like him so hopefully he can go on to have a good career wigh them.

I don’t think we can honestly say Doc has been giving a good chance with us...Pre-season games & the odd sub appearance for Gerrard & that’s about it.

For us to truly see his worth he needs 4/5 games on the bounce in Gerrards team but I don’t think the boss thinks he has what it takes.

I think he would add something too us against the shit teams we struggle against when we can break them down. I think he played a bit under either Murty or Pedro but it would be very unfair to write the young fella off in those teams.

If he continues he’s good form until end of season I’d give him a good chance (4 or 5 games) early next season & take it from there.

Just because he didn’t take anyone’s place before January doesn’t mean he’s not an asset. It’s not as if we loaned him out on the 1st Jan either, we were well into our slump before we loaned him.

Docherty is probably the best player in the third (arguable) best team in Scotland right now. For me, that shows he can play for us. Kamberi couldn’t get a game for Hibs and look how good he’s been for us. Compare Kamberis performances to Dochertys.

Docherty is a much better player than Ryan Jack was at the same age.

We simply need to give the lad a chance.

Boxing clever, there were no significant offers for him so leave him on loan and hope he attracts offers. He's a player we can get a fee for though not rangers class. Much the same eau Liverpool did with Kant.

I wouldn't say he's crap, he's just not the level we aspire to be. Gerrard seen him every day in training. He's a player who gives the ball away far too often to play for us.
Arfield isn't at the level we aspire to be, half the current side aren't. Docherty was the best Scottish prospect by a distance when we bought him, we've given him a dozen games, in a poor side, to prove himself. He'll move on to have a good career and hopefully we'll improve the side beyond his level but we've not done the lad any favours here.

Arfield isn't at the level we aspire to be, half the current side aren't. Docherty was the best Scottish prospect by a distance when we bought him, we've given him a dozen games, in a poor side, to prove himself. He'll move on to have a good career and hopefully we'll improve the side beyond his level but we've not done the lad any favours here.
It could have been said in the past that Kevin Thomson wasn't the level we aspired to be at, however a good football team need all different types of player. He's clearly good enough to do a job in our league, as he has shown at Hibs and Hamilton. He may not play often in Europe, but he'd be good for any games in Scotland. It's about having a deep squad, with a wide variety of skill sets. Would be crazy to get rid of him.

He's not a silver bullet for us to win the league, and he is definitely not a better player than Davis, Arfield, or Kamara, but he definitely could have contributed if given a chance. Really hard done by imo

I'm of the opinion Doc's style doesn't match what the staff want to do on the park which sounds fair enough- but on the flip side there may be certain games that aren't suited to a nice brand of football for which he and Ross might have a role to play.

I'm of the opinion Doc's style doesn't match what the staff want to do on the park which sounds fair enough- but on the flip side there may be certain games that aren't suited to a nice brand of football for which he and Ross might have a role to play.
Bold statement.

Reactions: cav
How many of our players are a consistent 6/ 7 these weeks? Same league Doc is a 7/8 every game. He might not Ever have the occasional 9 but we so badly need consistency at times when the going is tough and we just have to win somehow.

Like today...

Reactions: cav
Back