Done to death, but... Patterson

Give Tav another 2 year deal and then have Patterson ready to step in when needed, he’s good enough to replace the skipper when he eventually goes.

He's an upgrade on Balogun at RB,but still a distance away from what we need in an attacking sense.
I think some on here are going all Ross McCrorie on him,the greatest prospect ever then reality finally dawned,he wasn't that good.
Patterson may need to go out on loan next season to get moe game experience which will mean we need a cheap back up RB to cover Tav.

Balogun had a really poor game and was our weak link from the first whistle. Patterson really does look to have a massive future hopefully is a ready mad replacement for Tav when he moves on
The problem with a proven centre half playing at right back is it always looks like a proven centre half playing at right back, he got slaughtered in the first half.

Took him 10 minutes to get into the game and was caught out once or twice but he soon got into it and we looked far more balanced having a natural RB who is capable going forward.

Balogun was a nightmare defensively all game.
I saw it the same way - first 5 mins he got caught out and I was worried game - he didn’t let that get to him and really came on to a game - the fact he didn’t let a difficult start upset him impressed me even more than how well he played
Been a big test for him as a few clubs have targeted him and he has performed really well

Reactions: fmp
I obviously don’t know how fit or unfit he actually was prior to kick off but given he’s likely to take a lengthy ban and may struggle to play again this season, I’m surprised we didn’t start him yesterday. The improvement when he came on was clear for everybody to see.

I’ll go against the grain a little and say I think he has perhaps been overpraised for his performances vs Slavia. Think he struggled a little to make the step up to that level but no shame in that for a player who has played approx 10 games in his career. At this stage, he’s more than good enough to play in any game domestically. Perfect understudy to Tav.

I really like the look of him and hope he screws the nut. Just a shame for him his position is the captains position so hard to get much game time.

He had a couple of good deliveries and did well up the pitch. Certainly compared to Balogun.

Defensively he took a wee while to get up to speed but him growing in to the game coincided with Celtic having less success on, and so targeting less, his area of the pitch. He got beat a few times but showed energy and desire to chase back afterwards and was pretty solid thereafter.

The problem with a proven centre half playing at right back is it always looks like a proven centre half playing at right back, he got slaughtered in the first half.
He did. In mitigation, they targeted him and overloaded that side. We didn’t react well enough to it. Kamara always looks more comfortable covering the left centre of midfield rather than the right, and Jack’s absence is a massive loss. Alongside that, Hagi had a poor game in front of him and the gap between them was too big, more often than not.

Balogun played poorly, but I’m inclined not to be too harsh given the above would have lead to a tough game, even if he was a natural right back. His performance on Thursday was more disappointing.

Balogun was facing two players because hagi didn’t cover,
patterson and Arfield combined well.
Yeah, I agree with you 100%, if we need to play Balogun at right back, we need to play either Arfield or Jack in midfield to give him some cover.
I wouldn't be too critical of Balogun, he's had a great season in his CB position but struggled yesterday when played out of position and with no safety net around him.

Yeah, I agree with you 100%, if we need to play Balogun at right back, we need to play either Arfield or Jack in midfield to give him some cover.
I wouldn't be too critical of Balogun, he's had a great season in his CB position but struggled yesterday when played out of position and with no safety net around him.
We certainly cannot play Hagi and Aribo in the same side against the better teams.

Great young player that could develope into a huge player for us.

Mid to long term how do we kept Tav and develope Patterson?

Lol. You're at it.

As good as the wee man has been, you can't seriously watch games like today and Thursday and say we don't miss the skip. Complete nonsense.

I'd be pretty confident we'd have left there with all 3 points if Tav was in the side today.

Patterson is a future Rangers captain though. He just gets it.

Of course I'm at it haha!!

Paterson is a good prospect but we've seen how important Tav is!

The changing of the guard is still a few years away.

Think some people need to reign in the criticism. He's only 19, he's done well all things considered and has a lot of potential.

He doesn't offer the same attacking threat as Tavernier but not many right backs do. Going forward he'll develop that part of his game, maybe never to the same level as Tav.

I disagree with the delivery and service bit, some of his balls into the box have been superb. Reminds me of Huttons style of play.

His delivery is good.
It's just that Tav has probably the best right sided delivery in Scotland for 30 years.

Nathan is the sort of lad who will work and work at his delivery, until it's at Tav's level.

He's quicker and taller than Tav and will become his natural replacement within the next 18 months imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
His performance was OK but he got skinned a few times and their main threat was still down our left side after he came on. He still has a lot of developing to do and is far from the finished article. Bags of promise but I think the tendency to lavish praise every time he plays is being overdone simply because he's young and a bluenose.
Great promise but distribution, decision making and game knowledge are the big areas to improve. Another couple of years with regular appearances and he will be the best prospect in Scotland for a generation.

You can't hold the boy back for that length of time. He needs to play on a semi regular basis if he's to develop as a player.
In which case, it seems like he would need to go on loan for the game time. But that cant happen in case Tavernier is injured and we saw yesterday that Patterson is the only back up RB at the club. He will have to wait his time.

Yes he's raw, yes he's inexperienced and yes, no doubt he will make a few mistakes along the way. But watching him closely over the last half dozen or so games, there's potentially a very special player there indeed.

Physicality, attitude and confidence are all there and he really does seem to have modelled his game on Tav with the willingness to get forward on the right flank. Good cameo yesterday but more impressive for me were his displays in the EL, he didn't look out of place at all and took it all in his stride.

It's actually turning into an interesting dilemma for Gerrard for next season and beyond. Tav is our captain, has had a tremendous season and will rightly regaiin his place when fit. And assuming he's going nowhere for the next few seasons, how does the gaffer keep Patterson happy if he's not getting uch game time, especially now he's proven himself. I know the boy is a big bluenose and time is on his side but at the same time, it's probably not the best development for the lad to be a back uo, getting 10 mins here and there and the odd cup game. He's ready to start regularly imo, so do we consider a season long loan for him? Or can the system be tweaked to fit them both in? I'm 100% sure Stevie will know what's best btw, I just don't want to see the boy miss out by having limited game time over next 2 or 3 seasons.

Yes he's raw, yes he's inexperienced and yes, no doubt he will make a few mistakes along the way. But watching him closely over the last half dozen or so games, there's potentially a very special player there indeed.

Physicality, attitude and confidence are all there and he really does seem to have modelled his game on Tav with the willingness to get forward on the right flank. Good cameo yesterday but more impressive for me were his displays in the EL, he didn't look out of place at all and took it all in his stride.

It's actually turning into an interesting dilemma for Gerrard for next season and beyond. Tav is our captain, has had a tremendous season and will rightly regaiin his place when fit. And assuming he's going nowhere for the next few seasons, how does the gaffer keep Patterson happy if he's not getting uch game time, especially now he's proven himself. I know the boy is a big bluenose and time is on his side but at the same time, it's probably not the best development for the lad to be a back uo, getting 10 mins here and there and the odd cup game. He's ready to start regularly imo, so do we consider a season long loan for him? Or can the system be tweaked to fit them both in? I'm 100% sure Stevie will know what's best btw, I just don't want to see the boy miss out by having limited game time over next 2 or 3 seasons.
Spot on Mate , we need to give him the games , and by the time he was say 22 you have a top class RB . I would try and get a loan for him with the condition he plays a set amount of games at a high level .

Hard one with Patterson.

Do we give him the next season on loan and plug right back with a decent loan ourselves?

Tav will sign a 2/3 year extension and, even though he’s injured just now, we cannot forget or underestimate what a phenomenal athlete this guy is - he’ll still be physically better than everyone else at 33 and Patterson won’t get the amount of football his development needs.

What a talent we have here, looks like hes played in this squad for years. So confident going forward for a kid. Gerrard implementing his style through the youth ranks really showing here.
He’s a breath of fresh air. I literally prayed for him to be brought on in place balogun

So disgraceful you followed me?
Tav is far superior (obviously) and when he is missing the team suffer. We did miss his runs & crosses and Patterson wasn't what was needed. They targeted that side and it worked

See above
Followed you to see what other shit you are talking about.

Of course Tav is superior but to say Patterson is overrated is just blasphemy.

Not to mention a complete lack of knowledge.

I don’t think we should just accept that , look an previous player punishments from other clubs , Our punishment is double what other clubs have had .
Hopefully the kangaroo court is not full of the FF minded judges. If they are, not only will he be on loan to Barnsley or similar, but he'll never play for Rangers again.

Still cant understand why they should get a ban they have been fined (law) isolated (law) disciplined for breaking club rules if they worked in any other industry no more could happen to them Why another ban?

nobody knows what level he'll get to, he's obviously still have flaws in his game, but he's showing potential and that's all you can ask for from a player his age

Some really harsh critics on here. The boys only 19 ffs, he barely has any first team experience! People talking about him being beaten a couple of times as though an older and more experienced Tav hasn’t been skinned loads of times in this fixture previously.

Give the boy a chance to profess and develop. For his age and lack of experience I think he’s done superbly well.

Some really harsh critics on here. The boys only 19 ffs, he barely has any first team experience! People talking about him being beaten a couple of times as though an older and more experienced Tav hasn’t been skinned loads of times in this fixture previously.

Give the boy a chance to profess and develop. For his age and lack of experience I think he’s done superbly well.

I think he’s going to the very top mate.

I wasn’t the least bit nervous about him starting yesterday.

I think he’s going to the very top mate.

I wasn’t the least bit nervous about him starting yesterday.

I feel very comfortable with him slotting in at right back and that’s the biggest compliment anyone can pay a young player like that. I also thought the team as a whole had far more balance when he replaced Balogun.

I feel very comfortable with him slotting in at right back and that’s the biggest compliment anyone can pay a young player like that. I also thought the team as a whole had far more balance when he replaced Balogun.

Agree, I had more confidence we were going to create down our right. In fact, I felt more confident defensively too.

I think he will be Scotland right back within two / three years worst case.

Wee bit I liked from yesterday. Celtic freekick out wide, played into the middle of a packed penalty box... who confidently attacks the ball and rises amongst all the experienced pros to head it away... young Patterson. Tells you a lot about his character.

Back