Done to death, but... Patterson

We have seen players like McCrorie breaking though and hyping them up, we can all be guilty of getting carried away, however this boy has got what it takes, he’s mature beyond his years and he is the natural successor to Tav. If he keeps the head down and does as he’s told he’s going all the way.

What a talent we have here, looks like hes played in this squad for years. So confident going forward for a kid. Gerrard implementing his style through the youth ranks really showing here.

He is a talent alright, just going to get better and better. However at the moment he is nowhere near the attacking threat that Tav provides. We, as a side, are nowhere near the threat, especially against the better sides, with Tav missing. So obvious in each of our last 3 games our opponents have constantly attacked our right back position.

Really good player. Great to have him there as backup to Tav, and no doubt our long term replacement for that position.

Balogun has been good for us this year, but I think of Patterson starts that game, then we come away with the three points today.

They got way to much down our right side.

Aye. They still got some joy down that side but the boy was always in the right position. Excellent reading of the game. Another season and hell be challenging Tav's place.

Made a huge difference when he came on - solidarity down the RHS. We will struggle in Cup in that position when he gets his season ending ban next week.

Tav might struggle to get the jersey back...

Lol. You're at it.

As good as the wee man has been, you can't seriously watch games like today and Thursday and say we don't miss the skip. Complete nonsense.

I'd be pretty confident we'd have left there with all 3 points if Tav was in the side today.

Patterson is a future Rangers captain though. He just gets it.

It wasn't so long ago people were saying Balogun is a better option than him after the whole COVID breach stuff. As soon as he came on along with Arfield they didn't have much joy down the left he is a special talent.

Took him 10 minutes to get into the game and was caught out once or twice but he soon got into it and we looked far more balanced having a natural RB who is capable going forward.

Balogun was a nightmare defensively all game.
I agree with both points you make.Nathan did well once he found the pace of the game, but those first a few minutes could have been costly. Luckily they weren’t and I think, after that, he offered us far more for the remaining time than Leon would have done

What a talent we have here, looks like hes played in this squad for years. So confident going forward for a kid. Gerrard implementing his style through the youth ranks really showing here.
He’s got a really good football brain. When he fills out and gets that extra 15% of pace, he’s going to be formidable.

He's a very good prospect but I worry he doesn't have the attacking quality that a Rangers right back needs in our current system. It's not a slight on Patterson but the difference in quality of delivery and service coming from our right side since Tav has been injured is incredible.

I know this isn’t going to get much support,he got caught wrong sided a few times but he’s still very raw and he will improve I’m sure of it.

He's a very good prospect but I worry he doesn't have the attacking quality that a Rangers right back needs in our current system. It's not a slight on Patterson but the difference in quality of delivery and service coming from our right side since Tav has been injured is incredible.
I disagree with the delivery and service bit, some of his balls into the box have been superb. Reminds me of Huttons style of play.

Bags of potential and looks tidy. Could be anything at this stage. As long as he does not believe the hype and works hard he could be Scotland and Rangers right back for years to come.
Right now he has talent and potential, put in the work son.

It looks like the party thing has been a kick up the arse for him.

Tav is so important to how we play and he’s obviously taken this on board and knows what is needed from him when he steps on to the field.

Just wait until he wants to take free kicks. Lol

Let’s remember here he has come into a very good Rangers side and looked the part.

I think people need to realise, that takes some amount of self-belief and talent to do so. His career trajectory should end with him being an absolutely super right back for club and country.

I have the same feeling for this kid the same way I did about when Barry Ferguson broke into the 1st team

Very exciting future ahead for Nathan and Rangers. A very VERY special talent!

His performance was OK but he got skinned a few times and their main threat was still down our left side after he came on. He still has a lot of developing to do and is far from the finished article. Bags of promise but I think the tendency to lavish praise every time he plays is being overdone simply because he's young and a bluenose.
Their main threat was down our left but we have seen Tav getting beaten like that as well over the years. What Patterson did give us when he came on was that, like Tav, he reduced that threat by getting forward with more energy and skill.

What I will say about Patterson is hes a far far more complete player than Tavernier was a couple of years back.

He attacks. He defends. Blocks off the line. Good pot-shots at goal.

And hes still a nipper.

Thank f**k hes a bluenose

Their main threat was down our left but we have seen Tav getting beaten like that as well over the years. What Patterson did give us when he came on was that, like Tav, he reduced that threat by getting forward with more energy and skill.
I agree mate. A RB replaced a CB. However he was no more than OK and not a latter day Sandy Jardine as too many seem determined to suggest.

Let the boy develop without constantly weighing him down with the expectation he will be the next Cafu.

Aye. They still got some joy down that side but the boy was always in the right position. Excellent reading of the game. Another season and hell be challenging Tav's place.
They got joy down our right hand side because the midfield 3 played so narrow. That's not all on whoever is playing right back

He’s a terrific prospect with plenty of potential but he’s still miles away from Tav and you can tell from the past 3 matches we’re still missing him, Tav is still our most influential player.

Seems like some on here are getting giddy at the thought of someone finally ousting Tav because they hate that they were wrong about him.

They got joy down our right hand side because the midfield 3 played so narrow. That's not all on whoever is playing right back
Sure mate. Yet Borna coped with the narrow midfield when they attacked down the right.

Look the kid is talented and it would be great to see him continue to evolve. Right now the response from bears is a bit hyperbolic for my liking.

His work in the last ten minutes down the right hand side provided the basis for the few chances we had round about then. He kept the ball alive.
Agree with this big time Mark.

Actually felt like we should have scored 2/3 in that last ten. Patterson was doing bits and Kent was drifting over to humiliate Laxalt intermittently.

He’s a terrific prospect with plenty of potential but he’s still miles away from Tav and you can tell from the past 3 matches we’re still missing him, Tav is still our most influential player.

Seems like some on here are getting giddy at the thought of someone finally ousting Tav because they hate that they were wrong about him.

Maybe they’re giddy because we’ve got a really exciting player coming through and he’s only 19. Sorry mate but I think that’s as daft as if I were to suggest some are a little bit disappointed we haven’t slipped up or struggled since Tav’s been out.

Why does Tav even need to come in to it? Are we not allowed to appreciate a great prospect?

Don’t like all this ‘miles away’ talk.

It’s such a big step up and he’s been excellent so far.

Tav at Rotherham was - genuinely - miles away from today’s Tav.

Star in the making. We looked far better when he came on, I really like Balogun but he had a shocker and Patterson looked wise beyond his years out there.

Big Leon tries his best at right back but it aint a comfortable position for him.

With young Patterson's injury SG brought him on and we could count on him.

He'll come on from this season and if he doesn't get any awkward injuries to blight his progress then we'll have a talented right back for years to come.

Back