Drop Balls

Thats more or less what a drop ball is now.
No it’s not, I said in another post that if the ref calls a drop ball because the ball hit him or he blocked a player then he stops the game and restarts it with a uncontested drop ball to the team he decides were in possession
It happens every week and our players were daft to try and win it

Drop ball can be to the benefit of 1 team, which was to Killie , the fact he didn't relay the information to our players is on the ref. Totally incompetent in line with some of thfree kicks against for players falling to the ground, which was laughable had it not been so infuriating!!

I’m still very confused about what happened with that today. As far as I can tell the ref wanted to give Killie a free kick without it being a free kick.
Very, very rarely you see a contested drop ball these days. Especially as play was stopped due to either the player or the ball hitting the Referee.

Drop ball can be to the benefit of 1 team, which was Kikki68, the fact he didn't relay the information to our players is on the ref. Totally incompetent in line with some of thfree kicks against for players falling to the ground, which was laughable had it not been so infuriating!!
It was the fact it happened twice that did it for me. Surely after the first one he tells everyone what the situation was if its to be uncontested.

No it’s not, I said in another post that if the ref calls a drop ball because the ball hit him or he blocked a player then he stops the game and restarts it with a uncontested drop ball to the team he decides were in possession
So the team that the ref decides were in possession get the ball placed in front of them and the other team need to get back to let them take it. Sounds very similar to a free kick.

Well if its an uncontested drop ball to Killie and our players charge in and take the ball it's going to be called back?
But surely after the first time they get the message. Ref clearly didn’t tell them it was uncontested if they did it twice. Gets back to my opinion that an uncontested drop ball should just be a free kick.

What if we were in possession when he blocked the opponent going for it? 50/50 drop ball no?

Yes, against Hibs.

And the one today was a contested ball for possession in the first place. To just give Hibs the ball is a terrible decision.

Dickinson is comfortably the most inept referee in the league. Has zero control, makes poor decisions, can’t handle the pressure.
He was horrendous today. A League 1 ref doing a Premiership match

Yes, against Hibs.

And the one today was a contested ball for possession in the first place. To just give Hibs the ball is a terrible decision.

Dickinson is comfortably the most inept referee in the league. Has zero control, makes poor decisions, can’t handle the pressure.
The annoying thing is that he’s from a family of Bluenoses, can you imagine one of them not doing them favours ala Clancy, Collum, Walsh, Robertson?

As has been stated above all drop balls are uncontested now and given to the team in possession.

The team in possession is the last team to touch the ball before the incident which resulted in the drop ball being awarded - unless its in the penalty box when it is automatically given to the keeper irrespective of who was in possession.

At the drop ball opponents must be 4m away until the ball is in play. The ball is deemed to be in play when it touches the ground.

Once it hits the ground it's available for others to challenge for it.

I understand the concept of an uncontested dropped ball, but how long does the receiving player have before he can be challenged?
The rules state…
  • All other players (of both teams) must remain at least 4 m (4.5 yds) from the ball until it is in play
The ball is in play when it touches the ground

So the time it takes for a player to move 4.5 yards

The annoying thing is that he’s from a family of Bluenoses, can you imagine one of them not doing them favours ala Clancy, Collum, Walsh, Robertson?
That’s why it’s even more clear that he just simply isn’t good at his job.

He should never be in charge of these games, it’s levels above what he should be at.

I understand the concept of an uncontested dropped ball, but how long does the receiving player have before he can be challenged?
The ball is in play when it hits the ground. I imagine he thought the players weren’t far enough back (they need to be 4m away).

It was a horrendous bit of refereeing that continued through the full game. He had no control over the game whatsoever.

The first yes

The second The killie player just didn't hit and was leaving it for cantwell to touch

The ref made an arse of it he should have pushed our players back a little but the moment he drops it and the killie player decides not to play it its open play.

Otherwise you could get a drop ball in the first minute and just stand there for 45 mins

The first yes

The second The killie player just didn't hit and was leaving it for cantwell to touch

The ref made an arse of it he should have pushed our players back a little but the moment he drops it and the killie player decides not to play it its open play.

Otherwise you could get a drop ball in the first minute and just stand there for 45 mins
So if a team has free kick and don’t take after a while the opponent can just kick the ball ?

As has been stated above all drop balls are uncontested now and given to the team in possession.

The team in possession is the last team to touch the ball before the incident which resulted in the drop ball being awarded - unless its in the penalty box when it is automatically given to the keeper irrespective of who was in possession.

At the drop ball opponents must be 4m away until the ball is in play. The ball is deemed to be in play when it touches the ground.

Once it hits the ground it's available for others to challenge for it.
But our players weren’t 4m away were they?

But surely after the first time they get the message. Ref clearly didn’t tell them it was uncontested if they did it twice. Gets back to my opinion that an uncontested drop ball should just be a free kick.
Maybe our players in this situation were acting the arse? It certainly seemed so..

The drop ball today came from a killie player running into the ref, never mind the drop ball in all my years of watching football I've never seen the ref stop the game after a player has ran into them.

The ref today lost the plot

Drop ball can be to the benefit of 1 team, which was to Killie , the fact he didn't relay the information to our players is on the ref. Totally incompetent in line with some of thfree kicks against for players falling to the ground, which was laughable had it not been so infuriating!!
To be fair they are professional footballers they should know the rules, bit embarrassing that they twice took the ball before the killie player touched it. There are no contested drop balls anymore, the ref gives the ball to the team who was last in possession (or he thinks was last in possession)

Then they shouldn’t exist
If for example Tav passes to cantwell and the ball hits the ref on route (drop ball awarded)with no opposition near the ball do you want the opposition given the opportunity to win a ball they weren't getting near, why should we be penalised?

It’s an easy rule to implement but Dickinson is that inept he struggles with it.

He has no authority whatsoever.

If for example Tav passes to cantwell and the ball hits the ref on route (drop ball awarded)with no opposition near the ball do you want the opposition given the opportunity to win a ball they weren't getting near, why should we be penalised?
As it stands we would be given an uncontested drop ball, correct?

Just give us an indirect free kick instead.

To be fair he should be making sure they are 4m away before he drops it. You have to assume that if he drops the ball, he is happy that they are back the required distance?
You would think so yeah. Will need to see it back but looked like he dropped it and Cantwell was right there. Who knows!

So if a team has free kick and don’t take after a while the opponent can just kick the ball ?
There's a difference free kick they is stop start and generally for a foul etc

If player refused to take free kick he would be booked for time wasting at least. The balls not technically in play until its kicked.

Drop ball just need to be uncontested once the ball hits the ground its in play if our player is 10 yards away that's more than enough distance to travel to get the ball ref shouldn't pull it back if the opposition doesn't hit it and other team gets the ball

There's a difference free kick they is stop start and generally for a foul etc

If player refused to take free kick he would be booked for time wasting at least. The balls not technically in play until its kicked.

Drop ball just need to be uncontested once the ball hits the ground its in play if our player is 10 yards away that's more than enough distance to travel to get the ball ref shouldn't pull it back if the opposition doesn't hit it and other team gets the ball
Rule on drop balls is 4 yards

You would think so yeah. Will need to see it back but looked like he dropped it and Cantwell was right there. Who knows!
If he has dropped it and Cantwell wasn’t back the required distance then that’s on the referee. Deciding once the ball is in play that he doesn’t think Cantwell was is not on.

Back