Dundee Utd and Livingston opt out of VAR for cup games at weekend

If one of the clubs got knocked out over a dodgy decision then surely it would have made sense to pay the £10k, it must be more prize money than that if they were to go through?

But as stated previously....Tin pot!

Backward thinking. VAR is certainly not perfect but will surely improve given time and hopefully help our part time referees to improve their decision making. Hartson will applaud the rejection of VAR and that in itself shows it to be a pathetic decision.

It’s absolutely bizarre that they are allowed to do this.

I get that lower league clubs don’t have it, but it should be a case of, if it’s available then it must be used

So the Tim’s don’t want VAR but they do want VAR….. :))

Or they don’t want VAR in the league but do want VAR in the cup this weekend. :rolleyes:

I cannae keep up with them changing their mind all the time

Honestly cannot recall the last time I saw this term used, outwith posts on FF about Scottish football.

Could say the same about 'hammer-throwers'.
What do you reckon? Does it say something about our game or about the posters?

I actually disagree with any competition being allowed to use it unless all the matches in a round are able to use it.

That said, that’s not the rule and to actually have it and be able to choose not to is a total riddy.

Wonder who will be the first to moan about a decision that would have been ruled out/in if VAR had been in use.

In the death throes of Scottish Football. Something has to give, most likely European League or join English league.

All teams in the SPFL should be told by the Governing bodies that it is part of the requirements for playing in the league or cup competitions that they provide VAR coverage at their home games.. and part of the costs should be met by these Governing bodies instead of paying /taking huge salaries for in both bodies , their minuscule contribution to our game . It's little wonder our top league is the source of ridicule from other teams managers and supporters out with Scotland ,when they see this type of situation.

Last edited:
Now being reported that Separate Entity FC have decided to opt out of having referees for their home matches. Big Flange will stand in the centre circle with his whistle and a bucket of fried chicken, while Chris Sutton and Andy Walker run touch.

What a load of greeting faced arseholes we have in here. What exactly is your issue? If both teams agree to it, what’s the problem? £10k is a lot to a team like Livi. Noticed the mental gymnastics going on about stuff that won’t happen.

Honestly cannot recall the last time I saw this term used, outwith posts on FF about Scottish football.

Could say the same about 'hammer-throwers'.
Plenty of hammer throwers in this footballing backwater. Long May these phrases continue as opposed to this xg stats pish or overlap becoming overload.

Only two of this weekend's last 16 Scottish Cup ties will have VAR in operation.

That's despite four of the ties being played at Premiership grounds over Saturday and Sunday.
The technology is only available at top flight stadiums for cup matches. That has certainly proved to be a controversial topic both north and south of the border in terms of the inconsistency of its availability.
For this weekend, only Celtic, Rangers, Dundee United and Livingston have it at their disposal.

However, according to the Scottish Daily Express, only Celtic vs St Mirren and Rangers vs Partick Thistle will utilise VAR.
The video assistance is understood to cost teams around £10,000 per match to have in use.
Therefore, similar to the last round where some top flight teams opted against paying that fee, Dundee United vs Kilmarnock and Livingston vs Inverness will go ahead without it.
Really hope Dun utd get put out by an offside handball.

Back