Dundee Utd and Livingston opt out of VAR for cup games at weekend

so can the tims say they dont want it for the LCF?
Might be wrong here but the only competition that teams can opt out of VAR is the Scottish Cup because that's an SFA competition . So to answer your question...no .also bear in mind both teams have to be in agreement.

This is a bolt out of the blue ?!
Surely if VAR is available, it must be used. or else, well, what the f*ck is the point of it ?
Its like Wimbledon saying "ack, we've decided to only use Hawkeye on the Centre court this year" - they'd be a laughing stock....a bit like Scottish football these days.

Probably not the best comparison you could have used mate, as only 6 of the 18 courts used at Wimbledon actually use hawkeye.

Only two of this weekend's last 16 Scottish Cup ties will have VAR in operation.

That's despite four of the ties being played at Premiership grounds over Saturday and Sunday.
The technology is only available at top flight stadiums for cup matches. That has certainly proved to be a controversial topic both north and south of the border in terms of the inconsistency of its availability.
For this weekend, only Celtic, Rangers, Dundee United and Livingston have it at their disposal.

However, according to the Scottish Daily Express, only Celtic vs St Mirren and Rangers vs Partick Thistle will utilise VAR.
The video assistance is understood to cost teams around £10,000 per match to have in use.
Therefore, similar to the last round where some top flight teams opted against paying that fee, Dundee United vs Kilmarnock and Livingston vs Inverness will go ahead without it.

Absolute jobber mentality

Probably been said previously, but I hope both clubs are knocked out by a dodgy decision that VAR would have cleared up.

I can see VAR being scrapped in Scotland by the start of next season. Cost will be cited but we all know its because it is giving too many (correct) decisions against Celtic.

Should be all or none. The money coming off TV deals or prize money or ticket money split if its on for every match.

Regardless of what I think of some clubs I understand why they are doing it.

That interview with Martindale has to be one of the most embarrassing thing I’ve read. I may get pelters for this but the sooner we leave this tinpot league the better. It’s really holding us back. I mean, Martindale said it would cost more for the VAR than the gate receipts. That means they are expecting less than 1000 people at the game @£20 a pop including giving their opposition 40% of the gate receipts.

That interview with Martindale has to be one of the most embarrassing thing I’ve read. I may get pelters for this but the sooner we leave this tinpot league the better. It’s really holding us back. I mean, Martindale said it would cost more for the VAR than the gate receipts. That means they are expecting less than 1000 people at the game @£20 a pop including giving their opposition 40% of the gate receipts.
So where do they get more fans from stuck between Edinburgh and Glasgow?

Opting out because they don't have the money to pay for it. Perfectly reasonable.
I’d say they do have the money to pay for it but they’d rather spend it on something else,

Seems like there’s a little loophole where they don’t need to have it in this said game

I’d say they do have the money to pay for it but they’d rather spend it on something else,

Seems like there’s a little loophole where they don’t need to have it in this said game
If there’s something better they can spend 10k on why not, it’s a cup game, not having VAR affects nothing, if they fixture was reversed there’d be no VAR and we wouldn’t be having this discussion

It shouldn't be optional.
Only in this joke set up. Plastic pitches,winter shut downs..split league, changing rules to have a club win a treble, scam folder votes..the list is endless and that's just the last few years!

Back