Dutch FA to pilot woman playing in men’s teams

Davie Weir

THE DUTCH FOOTBALL Association announced a pioneering scheme on Tuesday, allowing a woman to play competitively at a men's team in the country's ninth tier in the hope of greater womens' participation in the men's game in future.

Ellen Fokkema, 19, is the first player to participate in the pilot and will play for VV Foarut's first team.

Girls and young women are able to play Category A mixed football up to under-19 level but after that have to play with Category B teams.

"It's fantastic that I can continue to play in this team," Fokkema said in a statement.

"I've been playing with these guys since I was five and I was sorry that I wouldn't be able to play with them in a team next year.

"From the KNVB [Dutch FA] I was always advised to continue playing with the boys for as long as possible, so why shouldn't it be possible? It is quite a challenge, but that only excites me more.

"I asked the club if something was possible and together we submitted the request to the KNVB. My teammates also reacted enthusiastically that I can stay with them. I can't say how it will go, but I am very happy anyway that I can participate in this pilot. "

The Dutch FA said they will monitor the progress of the pilot and should it be successful, look at permanently changing the regulations to allow women to play alongside men.

"Every year there is a request from an association to let a woman play football in their first men's team," director of football development at the KNVB Art Langeler said.

"In my opinion it is special that girls at all levels can play mixed football, but as soon as boys move on from under-19 to Category A of the men, they have to play football without the woman in their team.

"The KNVB stands for diversity and equality. We believe that there should be room for everyone in every way."

Women's football was first recognised in the Netherlands in 1971 while mixed football was introduced in 1986.

If they’re better than the men I’d want them in the team.

However, at top club level at Rangers that would never happen because the stamina and physical qualities required are too much for any woman.

As long as there's not "x players must be a woman" I agree. This would never impact teams of any significant quality, but you might see some in the (very) lower leagues. Absolutely no reason to bar it.

That’s ridiculous, men are physically stronger than women, that’s just a fact, which is why there’s so many issues with trans women playing in women’s sports. I don’t think a majority of women would want that either, not to mention the fact it diminishes their game by just bringing it into the men’s game.

I’m no fan of Women’s Football but I think this is the way football will go in these gender neutral times.

If women want access to the same wages and recognition then it’s only going to happen if they are good enough to compete with the best of the best no matter what gender Messi and Ronaldo identify as.

Sexual equality either exists or it doesn’t. We can’t claim special dispensation for one industry. We’re not the Catholic Church.

Sexual apartheid in football leaves too many questions unanswered. I don’t know how it is currently but until very recently boys and girls could not play together in organised competitions beyond the age of eleven.

By introducing steroids?
No.

With regards to elite athletes, in track competitions women compare to men as follows:
Top Speed: Women are about 90% as fast as men (100m, 200m, 400m)
Stamina: Again, about 90% (800m, 1500m etc)
Explosiveness: Women about 85% as explosive as men (Long Jump, High Jump, Triple Jump)

There aren't really many events that I can think of that would measure agility.

So ultimately, there's a gap to make up there. But the question is how far down the food chain do you have to go before that 10 - 15% difference is either eliminated or irrelevant? In football, probably not as far down as you think - there are plenty of ways to tactically hide physical shortcomings in football.

Can we not keep some things the same. Would totally ruin it for me if they mixed woman into the mens game. Get them on a level footing by all means throw as much money at woman's game as you like but keep them separate.

The Venus Brothers can compete at mens level and probably be top 5, I dont see the problem here.

Both played consecutive sets to a guy ranked 203rd and lost both sets 6 - 2

I've also read of a Women's international team losing to a male u16 side.

Women in the opposition team would be targeted and absolutely smashed (a bit like in mixed doubles in tennis)

I'm all for the womens game progressing and I do think the men should take a leaf out of their book by getting on with the game instead of constantly cheating.

Cant agree with this though. It wont be any good for either party.

Football, just like tennis, golf, etc, should be gender neutral. If you're good enough, then you'll be successful. However, I reckon women will soon stop complaining about " inequality " and demand to revert back to their own women-only football teams, tennis and golf competitions. In fact, I'm surprised that males who have failed to make it at the top level in men's football haven't tried to play for women's football teams where they'd have a better chance of winning competitions.

No.

With regards to elite athletes, in track competitions women compare to men as follows:
Top Speed: Women are about 90% as fast as men (100m, 200m, 400m)
Stamina: Again, about 90% (800m, 1500m etc)
Explosiveness: Women about 85% as explosive as men (Long Jump, High Jump, Triple Jump)

There aren't really many events that I can think of that would measure agility.

So ultimately, there's a gap to make up there. But the question is how far down the food chain do you have to go before that 10 - 15% difference is either eliminated or irrelevant? In football, probably not as far down as you think - there are plenty of ways to tactically hide physical shortcomings in football.

The stats are interesting but totally irrelevant when it comes to football and even then, disregarding 10-15% average performance difference is crazy. I'd be interested to see those numbers when applied to 90 minutes and over the course of a season rather than running for a couple of mins.

While I agree that top-athlete level numbers become a bit less important the further down the food chain you go, the reliance on strength goes up drastically as technical ability is less prevalent – this is the area that will be the main blocker as women transition into men's football.

I'm all for giving everyone a chance and maybe women could thrive, I'd be more than happy to see it, but no amount of time will reduce the physicality gap between men and women.

If she is good enough why not - as long as the referees don't change the way they play the game.

Hope thats tongue in cheek. A good hefty tackle will ensure the weans won't get fed because maws in hospital nursing a tackle from someone she ripped the pish out of.

Back