Eddie Gray - Mr Leeds

His son played for them.
Yes he does indead. Asked if he would sign for Rangers when he was playing in the great Leeds team back in the late 70s and eighties he said no and never will. The magazine then asked why and he said they don't sign Catholics.
His brother Frank said the same....

In the 70's Leeds United had a number of excellent Scots

Eddie Gray, Frank Gray, Billy Bremner, Peter Lorimer, Joe Jordan and Gordon McQueen being the ones that spring readily to mind.
isnt Frank Gray the only British player to have payed in European cup finals with 2 different teams?

What a wonderful footballer.

Now this is fact.

When Leeds were sniffing around him in the early to mid 60s (65 perhaps?) the yahoos got on the scent and used the old Catholic card. You're one of us so should want to play for us.

Sean Fallon came up to the Gray household in Castlemilk, and did the usual.

Mr Gray Snr asked about the money that was involved for his son? Fallon told him and Mr Gray duly papped him out of the house. Leeds at thet time were in the old English 2nd division.

Thank feck he signed for Leeds.

Peter Lorimer’s brother worked for me and he supported Rangers. We used to visit Peter when we were working in Leeds. Given that he was in the first team at 15 I don’t think he would have supported anybody.
Everyone has a team.

Me? I had no option.

As my old man said to me back in the day;

'See the way my old man drummed Rangers into me, I've drummed it into you and your brother.'

And I've drummed it into mine.

No options available.

I can't remember if he played in the 1975 European Cup final v Bayern, but I do remember Leeds should have won but got robbed by a couple of terrible refereeing decisions.

I can't remember if he played in the 1975 European Cup final v Bayern, but I do remember Leeds should have won but got robbed by a couple of terrible refereeing decisions.
Came off the bench , Frank played
Even though they got beat 2 0 it was arguably David Stewart’s best ever appearance in goal.

At one point Leeds had 2 keepers in the Scotland Squad out of the 3 named.
Harvey and Stewart even though Stewart hardly got a game.
What a team Scotland had at the 74 WC they didn't do themselves justice not getting beyond the group stage on goal difference,they drew 0-0 with Brazil Jordan,Bremner and Dalglish all missing chances the Brazilian's couldn't handle Joe Jordan

What a wonderful footballer.

Now this is fact.

When Leeds were sniffing around him in the early to mid 60s (65 perhaps?) the yahoos got on the scent and used the old Catholic card. You're one of us so should want to play for us.

Sean Fallon came up to the Gray household in Castlemilk, and did the usual.

Mr Gray Snr asked about the money that was involved for his son? Fallon told him and Mr Gray duly papped him out of the house. Leeds at thet time were in the old English 2nd division.

Thank feck he signed for Leeds.
Don Revie went up to Eddie Grey's school and told his headmaster that Eddie was leaving school (he was 15) and signing for Leeds, Tommy Docherty who was the then Chelsea manager also went round his house and tried to sign him

Yes he does indead. Asked if he would sign for Rangers when he was playing in the great Leeds team back in the late 70s and eighties he said no and never will. The magazine then asked why and he said they don't sign Catholics.
His brother Frank said the same....
So did Arthur Graham but he also added that he hated us.

I went to a Scotland v England game at Hampden and there were Leeds fans there with a StAndrews cross flag and Leeds United Scots on it. Two black guys and 2 white guys. 1970s
More uneducated fools who had fell for the Ian Archer school of Rangers hating propaganda

So did Arthur Graham but he also added that he hated us.
It was a fairly common theme in those days. After any crowd trouble the old ",if only Rangers would sign Catholics" all would be well line was trotted out. High profile RC players were regularly asked the question.

Quality footballer Eddie Gray in a great Leeds team under Don Revie. Some hard/dirty players like Bremner, Jack Charlton, Norman Hunter and Johnny Giles.
When he left they never done much for years....a bit like when Fergie left Manure.

Going by memory his performance in the 1970 Wembley Cup final was something special, as was that of his opposite number, Charlie Cooke.
On his day he was as good a winger as there's ever been, although he never really reached those heights with Scotland.

Going by memory his performance in the 1970 Wembley Cup final was something special, as was that of his opposite number, Charlie Cooke.
On his day he was as good a winger as there's ever been, although he never really reached those heights with Scotland.
It shows how strong Scotland was back then,Gray struggled to get a game.

Back