edmiston house

Qre u not alarmed that to fund it, they had to ask the big hitters at Ibrox to put cash in and also the champions wall has fell on deaf ears also
Small things like the cladding half cleaned etc
But hey if the board say we are OK then we are ok
I’m not alarmed. We have just made £20m+ from Europa league. Edmiston house was always being funded separately. Where’s your sensible head?

So that's Edmiston House, the Champions Wall and the memorial garden all had issues since first being touted. Obviously Edmiston had the issues with the concrete in the pipes and planning changes but why does nothing ever just run smoothly for us.

Has there been anymore developments on the memorial garden since we were threatened with court action for breaking away with the deal?
The same with the housing development in the Albion...is that still going ahead?

So that's Edmiston House, the Champions Wall and the memorial garden all had issues since first being touted. Obviously Edmiston had the issues with the concrete in the pipes and planning changes but why does nothing ever just run smoothly for us.

Has there been anymore developments on the memorial garden since we were threatened with court action for breaking away with the deal?
The same with the housing development in the Albion...is that still going ahead?

I asked about that on a thread the other week after noticing the company that was taking the court action were listed as bust on companies house.

I'd suggest that says a lot about the sum they were apparently claiming and how desperate they were. I do remember someone on here saying the company owners were Bears. I have my doubts about that and reckon they were massively up to their necks in it long before the memorial garden thing came on the horizon.

Underlying pattern of anything requiring significant financial planning or legal nous inevitably leaves us with our pants pulled down.

Having the determination, contacts and elements of wealth required isn’t the same as actually having the expertise to successfully achieve something.

In short, the current incumbents shouldn’t be beyond scrutiny and reproach. We’ve seen that movie before….

The fact that there are several reasons being suggested for the delay shows the lack of information from the club allows a vacuum and it filled with speculation. Why the club can't give us a regular update on the progress ( or lack ) is beyond me. It is far better for us to know the truth than nothing.

No he - and folk like me - paid to help build it.

In what other walk of life would you hand over £150 towards something getting done and then nothing happens for months with very little update?

FWIW I think he means if it gets scrapped completely which seems unlikely. But we’re entitled to an update officially not through Michael Seafarer.
When you book a holiday

I have been advised all funds are in place, the issue is that their is a large mains cable that requires to be redirected which requires planning permission for this to be rerouted.
Other than the steel structure that I have seen pictures of - not sure what level they are at. But the relocation of a mains cable would be one of the very first tasks to be complete. Nevertheless, a cable relocation wouldn't have any affect on completing the roof, walls, interior etc, etc.

Other than the steel structure that I have seen pictures of - not sure what level they are at. But the relocation of a mains cable would be one of the very first tasks to be complete. Nevertheless, a cable relocation wouldn't have any affect on completing the roof, walls, interior etc, etc.
Whatever but there was no activity on site, now there is so that is good news is it not?

It’s a straight forward build given the architects on the project are first class , sure there was something about the outer skin design , anyhow it needs sorted , missing a trick not having this open for preseason onwards
Architects are Architects, they all play to the same rules and regulations. I'm wondering if they had to change the cladding after the new rules were introduced

No as it was made to be self funded and the project was paused whilst the remaining funding was secured.

Part of the issue is the ever increasing cost of materials. There were estimated figures in place for the job to go ahead. When tenders came back, it wasn't just over budget, it was off the scale increases which had to be addressed.

Everything is / was being scrutinised to the penny and while that helps get to certain figures it chews up time rapidly.

Also, the longer things go / went on without orders being placed the more and more increases were being seen.

EH is far from the only project going on in Scotland just now which is in exactly the same boat.

Hope its full steam ahead with this and blue sky lounge.

The club needs to give us an update on this @Greg Marshall. What has progress stalled? @David Edgar have you heard anything. I know the club need to find tge funds etc and have employer dave pyatt so not concerned however progress needs to be seen.
They have the funds from sale of car park so the sale of car park has paid for this so club not paid anything. Only issue I can see it materials being delayed etc

Part of the issue is the ever increasing cost of materials. There were estimated figures in place for the job to go ahead. When tenders came back, it wasn't just over budget, it was off the scale increases which had to be addressed.

Everything is / was being scrutinised to the penny and while that helps get to certain figures it chews up time rapidly.

Also, the longer things go / went on without orders being placed the more and more increases were being seen.

EH is far from the only project going on in Scotland just now which is in exactly the same boat.
A very good point ,the supply chain is way behind ,costs of everything are rising at a high rate and any delay just creates a vicious circle .

I have seen it said on here ,it's to be a self funded project and I kinda understand that to a degree.also design changes have played a part as well as unforseen issues with concrete in pipes etc

But this was meant to be a flagship project in our 150 year celebrations and in a year when we are going to record a record turnover and most likely a record profit ,the club surely must put money into this if required to get it done and in a timely manner.This is going to be a massive income generator for us going forward as well as giving our support a much better and much needed match day experience

I'm not one for knocking our club for the sake of it ,but yet again an update to the fans wouldn't be amiss here .

A very good point ,the supply chain is way behind ,costs of everything are rising at a high rate and any delay just creates a vicious circle .

I have seen it said on here ,it's to be a self funded project and I kinda understand that to a degree.also design changes have played a part as well as unforseen issues with concrete in pipes etc

But this was meant to be a flagship project in our 150 year celebrations and in a year when we are going to record a record turnover and most likely a record profit ,the club surely must put money into this if required to get it done and in a timely manner.This is going to be a massive income generator for us going forward as well as giving our support a much better and much needed match day experience

I'm not one for knocking our club for the sake of it ,but yet again an update to the fans wouldn't be amiss here .

Yeah, I agree. There should have been more updates. If the club explained it quarterly, it'd stop filling the void with comments like "we had to get the begging bowl out"

It's a simple fact that when things are over budget, other funding has to be secured. It's not like they were sitting on Argyle Street with the cap out asking for any spare change. People really do have a tendancy to over-dramatise things.

It's disappointing that it won't be ready for pre-season given when the initial suggestions aimed at. It's part and parcel of construction just now though.

Yeah, I agree. There should have been more updates. If the club explained it quarterly, it'd stop filling the void with comments like "we had to get the begging bowl out"

It's a simple fact that when things are over budget, other funding has to be secured. It's not like they were sitting on Argyle Street with the cap out asking for any spare change. People really do have a tendancy to over-dramatise things.

It's disappointing that it won't be ready for pre-season given when the initial suggestions aimed at. It's part and parcel of construction just now though.
Will it be done by Christmas mate? Thanks for the info. Too much negativity on this project recently

There wasnt funding in place for the original estimates prior to work being tendered for the sub elements.

The pause enabled the funding to be put in place and for costs to be agreed based on tender returns and assessment.

Underlying pattern of anything requiring significant financial planning or legal nous inevitably leaves us with our pants pulled down.

Having the determination, contacts and elements of wealth required isn’t the same as actually having the expertise to successfully achieve something.

In short, the current incumbents shouldn’t be beyond scrutiny and reproach. We’ve seen that movie before….

They've got consultants on board, surely?

I think it's highly unlikely that they haven't, so I don't feel your comment is fair.

There wasnt funding in place for the original estimates prior to work being tendered for the sub elements.

The pause enabled the funding to be put in place and for costs to be agreed based on tender returns and assessment.

That was always going to be the case though.

They had to start the design to some degree to see what it was going to cost. It's not a completely linear process where it all lines up.

Parts of design and construction had to be progressed while money and investment was secured otherwise the project would never have got off the ground.

Yes, the pause allowed further funding to be secured but the project would have been ever further behind if the work already completely wasn't carried out before that point.

They've got consultants on board, surely?

I think it's highly unlikely that they haven't, so I don't feel your comment is fair.
I honestly don’t know mate. My comments are based purely on the observation that lots of the deals, strategic, financial and legal things we’ve been involved in over the last few years have seen less than stellar outcomes… so there’s a bit of a pattern. They may well have consultants on board but my hope then is that we’ve paid to ensure those consultants are of a high standard.

Of course I hope I’m worrying needlessly, but as I alluded to, we got our arse felt in the past in Murray’s time. We shouldn’t take our eye off the ball again, especially when the recent track record could be better.

The general design is agreed its a cladding change and an output from agreeing contract value.

Not unusual for a project to change materials
No, especially now, what with Covid, China, Brexit, Russia, Ukraine.
But easier to stick the boot into the club.
Amateur hour would be cracking on and building it with different materials when it's not what we have planning permission to build.
Some folk have no idea, but just like a moan.

When you book a holiday
Closer to the the mark would be any building project. My son is buying a new build house, in a huge estate. Was due to complete in August. Latest forecast is November. Shortage of timber and, mysteriously, scaffolding (which I didn’t understand at all). This is in England so 10% deposit paid months ago on Exchange of Contracts. Still, he gets to go and look at the concrete slab and ponder when it will be finished.:rolleyes::)

No, especially now, what with Covid, China, Brexit, Russia, Ukraine.
But easier to stick the boot into the club.
Amateur hour would be cracking on and building it with different materials when it's not what we have planning permission to build.
Some folk have no idea, but just like a moan.
No one is moaning, pointing out that the club didnt have the funds in place before any work started and didnt know how they would fund it.

No one is moaning, pointing out that the club didnt have the funds in place before any work started and didnt know how they would fund it.
Wasn't a dig at you mate. Hope it didnn't come across like that.
The club obviously had funding options or wouldn't have done it, but specifically wanted it to self fund.

But for other posters to claim that the club deciding to follow the letter of the law because of a global material crisis, and change materials they can't get, both on the building and planning permission, is amateur hour, is just madness.

Last edited:
As a layman in all practical applications, I can't comment on any aspect of the build.

I was over at Ibrox on Monday and saw workers on site, so that gladdened the heart (though I've no idea what they were doing).

I realise it's natural for fans and investors (I am one myself) to be concerned at the apparent slow progress on the project, and its reasonable to question why, and in this regard Rangers could do a bit more in keeping us informed.

It's such a public build I have no fear that it will open this year as promised and be a long term asset to the club.

Think the poster was agreeing with you.

His "No" was to confirm what you were saying about it "not being unusual" as in "No, it's not.
I've actually just tweeked my reply too. I'm tired today and even trying to agree with people I seem to be coming across like a *£*& (nothing new there):))

Rangers (employer) cannot sign a contract with the architect as well as the construction and fitment contractor(s) without having the funds to pay those contractor(s). Very often the contractors require payment guarantees from the employers bank.

The architect would have pre-designed the facility and prepared a bill of quantities that the contractors price for the supply and installation of.

The contractors would have been subject to a delivery program.

If there are delays (other than force majeure) caused by either the employer, architect or contractor(s) then there would be penalties and/or delay damages due (and payable) to the other parties.

I honestly don’t know mate. My comments are based purely on the observation that lots of the deals, strategic, financial and legal things we’ve been involved in over the last few years have seen less than stellar outcomes… so there’s a bit of a pattern. They may well have consultants on board but my hope then is that we’ve paid to ensure those consultants are of a high standard.

Of course I hope I’m worrying needlessly, but as I alluded to, we got our arse felt in the past in Murray’s time. We shouldn’t take our eye off the ball again, especially when the recent track record could be better.
I'd wager my house on the fact that they've got consultants involved for Edmiston House.

Closer to the the mark would be any building project. My son is buying a new build house, in a huge estate. Was due to complete in August. Latest forecast is November. Shortage of timber and, mysteriously, scaffolding (which I didn’t understand at all). This is in England so 10% deposit paid months ago on Exchange of Contracts. Still, he gets to go and look at the concrete slab and ponder when it will be finished.:rolleyes::)
I will have paid for my holiday over three years when I go lol
England is mental how you buy a house

I'd wager my house on the fact that they've got consultants involved for Edmiston House.
I’m not arguing with you on that point mate.

My overarching point is I hope they have utilised good consultants. Our recent track record in high stakes projects hasn’t been good.

Did that come straight from a whatsapp group?

There's been design changes right throughout this project (as there is in any pretty much any construction project these days) and many reasons for various delays along the way.

Thought it was obvious my comment wasn't serious.

I guess you never know on here :)

Back