English Premiership ban on shirt betting sponsorship

The English Premiership looking to be rid of it by 2024-25 season.

What does our FF community think of this?

Although it obviously has no bearing on Scottish football, personally I'd welcome Rangers to be rid of gambling or drink sponsorship, though I've no illusions that we'd be having Tesla or Ford as our sponsors.
Would rather have alcohol or betting than anything to do with Musk tbh. Though if he's going to give us silly money I guess I can be bought. Truth be told I can be bought for 4 Greggs sausage rolls.
Could be a good opportunity to charge more because their market for advertising has suddenly and drastically reduced.

With online bookmakers i've seen gamblers who got got themselves get into so much debt they went bankrupt still able to cheat the system and create new accounts for themselves.
I doubt that’s true to be honest, maybe 10 year ago but not the last few years. I would need to see the full story with that though. You must be meaning they’ve self excluded as going bankrupt or getting in to financial difficulty doesn’t automatically halt betting accounts. Someone like that should be signing up for Gamstop, they should be contacting their bank to block debit card transactions to gambling providers as well for starters. There are a lot of barriers you can put in place.

If this has happened though and any of these folk want to take it further feel free to get them to contact me as that’s pretty serious and there are avenues to go down regarding it. With it being online obviously a trace is made through payments also so it’s makes proving any breaches much easier.
Yet you lose bit much in a shop they start asking for proof of income, double standards

That’s something that’s been brought in due to the Government coming down hard to be fair. For some folk doing their brains it’s probably done them a favour really. Someone earning £1500 a month really shouldn’t be losing £3000 a month for example. Hard to manage overall but can see why it happens. It’s also used to halt proceeds of crime, lad in a shop I go in had to do one - reason being he’s constantly been in and out of nick for dealing and stakes heavily - obviously it’s hard to prove your income as a dealer with no wage slips. It also puts a barrier in place if someone say starts betting big suddenly, so you’ve a guy losing say £5000 a week and that constantly happens for a few months, the likelihood is he’s nicking it somehow, it’s dodgy through drugs or he’s borrowing it - as intrusive as it is his wage slips will show this one way or the other. This might seem over the top but this sort of stuff has happened a fair few times now and the punting firms have turned a blind eye, not good when it turns out the moneys came from the punter nicking from the small firm he works at and folk end up out of a job due to it etc….

This is why Betway repaid this money and got an 11 million fine as well:

Too many Firms can’t be trusted to do what they say they will do, this is why things are getting so over the top now. At the end of the day though they’ve brought it all on themselves.

Last edited:
I'd imagine the steep price increase has had the biggest impact on people taking/giving up smoking.

Buying cigarettes was easy enough to afford when I was at high school (90s). A packet would cost most of a kid's pocket money these days.
It's because of the inflation rate that we are having right now. CPI inflation in July 2022 stood at 4.94% (yoy), increasing from 4.35% (yoy) the month earlier. Just think of it till 2050 it will cross more than 9% rate. But tobacco company knows how the market will work and they know even if the inflation rate goes high people will smoke. We are just dumping money into the pocket of the tobacco companies and medical companies.

Absolute woke nonsense as usual catering to the 1% or less who don't take responsibility for their own actions and instead want to blame an advert for them having too many drinks or too many bets.

Only sponsors that will be allowed soon will be dodgy second hand car sales apps.

The EPL are open to accusations of being hypocrites unless they demand that their lucrative broadcasting partners also ban gambling advertisements.

Sky’s bumper deal, for example, is part funded by the huge amount of revenue that they receive from Bet365 and the likes.

Their clubs will still receive the money one way or another, and plenty of other corporations will be willing to fill the blank spaces on their shirts.

It’s the smaller leagues that I would be concerned about, where the smaller clubs would have less access to alternative sources of funding.

Like everything else, this is an issue swamped in hypocrisy.
Gambling is a terrible thing if you are addicted, so is alcohol and so actually is food itself.
Banking is also a terrible thing when it is misused for greed and has probably killed more people and ruined more people through that greed than gambling.
Indeed you can probably make a case, often quite thin against most things, that when abused or misused can have evil outcomes.

I have the occasional gamble, such as the lottery, and if I have stuck money on a horse or a football match, (not very often) I have enjoyed it, the same with alcohol, I drink but am not an alcoholic, damn I even have the odd cream cake and yet I am not obese.
Always citing such things as an evil because of those who lose control, is not a balanced nor indeed a fair method of assessing them.

The hypocrisy is that gambling and alcohol have put a lot of money into football, this money hasn't benefitted any of the fans, instead, it has injected enormous sums of money into the pockets of the players and other hangers-on, such as agents, usually to the detriment of the supporters who continues to get fleeced.

By all means, ban such advertising, but save us from the excessive virtue signalling, especially from Muslim footballers who will happily pocket the bloated wages that such evils as banking, gambling and alcohol have availed them.

Now, where is that fckn sick bag.

Back