Enzo Maresca their first choice for new manager

I don’t know who they will get as a coach but what I will say is we shouldn’t stand still when the summer comes. What I mean by this is we where told “they are light years ahead of us” but complacency and our desire to win allowed us to overtake them and steam roll the league. I want us to go out this summer make the right moves and regardless of who they bring in we shall not be moved !

also who the F*** this guy !!!
Prep for next season started in the last transfer window. Summer target lists are already complete. The Management Team know that qualifying for the CL is the first target for next season and will be planning accordingly.

Foreign managers coming to SPL rarely ever work out. Especially ones who have no background or understanding of the league or demands from fans.

Look at how that guy done at Killie a few years back, absolutely woeful!

Who are they signing from Man city under 19s next season

I've applied their normal in-depth talent acquisition techniques (looked at the squad on Transfermarkt and chose anybody Irish or with an Irish sounding name), and it looks like they'll be signing Cieran Slicker, CJ Egan-Riley and Liam Delap.

Roy Keane again? Lovely.

“Right don’t shoot the messenger here, but heard a rumour today via someone who works in the world of estate agents. Cannot say more as it might be easier to identify the source if I did. It seems that an estate agent has been asked to provide at least four possible homes in the Glasgow area, preferably on the north side of the river for CFC. The name mentioned was Roy Keane. Wouldn’t be my choice but thought I would share the rumour, that’s all.”

I think celtic are ready to write off next season's title and build over time. might be sensible with 2 champions league places likely. they have blown their load chasing 10 and now have a deficit
You’re probably right, that’s how the business board will see it needing to be done over a bit of time but there’ll be some pressure on any new manager, DoF and head of recruitment if we win the league. I think whoever is manager will be chased down the street, so they’ll appoint Kennedy rather than appoint somebody they’d see as a bigger appointment knowing he’ll be chased no matter what. But that could be seen as not trying to win it which would be very bad for their new CEO. Glorious.

Roy Keane would be fucking hilarious. It would also make for an amazing amount of interest down south. Gerrard against Keane.

Do it Celtic! do it

Roy Keane would be a weird appointment. Nothing about his track record suggests he's ready for the job. He's notoriously temperamental and one of the main criticisms of him that I've read. Was his inability to lower his previous standards from his playing days and work alongside inferior players.

Maybe he learnt a trick or two from his days working with Ireland under O'Neil. Because they've been a fairly bang average national side for almost a decade now. Mate of mine seems convinced it'll be Keane as the figure head and Duff the tactics guy.

Maresca would be a gamble and I simply don't see them having the patience for it. The majority of them want a big name with a pedigree in management. They want their Advocaat and the Dutch revival we had, only problem is, they don't have the funds to do that.

I'm not going to dismiss Maresca. And, as bad as celtic are at the moment, they aren't even close to how bad we were when we appointed Gerrard (we earned just 70 points that year), so it wouldn't necessarily take him quite as long to get them into decent shape. However, it feels almost inevitable he would need at least one full season to sort some things out. Even just getting rid of their version of the 'monster munch brigade' will likely take more than one window.

Also, while his Man City links might help them unearth their own version of Kent, he doesn't have the pull to attract the likes of Goldson and Roofe (or Sinclair like Rodgers did).

The irony in Celtic wanting an under 23 coach who’s never actually managed a team is quite something.

Can’t wait to watch the mental gymnastics from their fans who laughed at us doing similar with Gerrard.

There will surely be a barrage of stories in the press about appointing a manager with no experience looking quietly terrified about the size of the job.

I'm not going to dismiss Maresca. And, as bad as celtic are at the moment, they aren't even close to how bad we were when we appointed Gerrard (we earned just 70 points that year), so it wouldn't necessarily take him quite as long to get them into decent shape. However, it feels almost inevitable he would need at least one full season to sort some things out. Even just getting rid of their version of the 'monster munch brigade' will likely take more than one window.

Also, while his Man City links might help them unearth their own version of Kent, he doesn't have the pull to attract the likes of Goldson and Roofe (or Sinclair like Rodgers did).
I kind of agree, I assume Maresca has ability coaching wise but it's the amount of players that they need to bring in that will take time unless they get really lucky.
It took us a few transfer windows to get a decent starting 11 and bench together.
They have to get every appointment right and that's a big ask.
We have to work on the assumption that they will be strong next season though.

A good coach can achieve a lot quickly with the players they have. Look at how Rodgers turned their team around quickly. Maresca could well be a good coach.

we need to prepare like we did for this season. We need to strengthen. Our midfield needs additional players, Zungu not good enough, Jack been injured Arfield and Davis knocking on.

we also had a season where we were lucky with key players Goldson and Davis never injured won’t always be so lucky.

They have a huge challenge for sure but not by any means impossible.

A good coach can achieve a lot quickly with the players they have. Look at how Rodgers turned their team around quickly. Maresca could well be a good coach.

we need to prepare like we did for this season. We need to strengthen. Our midfield needs additional players, Zungu not good enough, Jack been injured Arfield and Davis knocking on.

we also had a season where we were lucky with key players Goldson and Davis never injured won’t always be so lucky.

Very much agree on not being complacent. Don't think we need to worry about that with SG in charge.

Don't quite agree RE injuries. Katic, Roofe, Jack, Arfield and now Tav have all missed decent chunks. We've just been so good this year we haven't really missed them too much.

Very much agree on not being complacent. Don't think we need to worry about that with SG in charge.

Don't quite agree RE injuries. Katic, Roofe, Jack, Arfield and now Tav have all missed decent chunks. We've just been so good this year we haven't really missed them too much.
The overall improvement in squad has been main factor.

When we lost helander last year it didn't impact us straight away but it did eventually we were unbalanced..... now we have balogun had made a difference

We added roofe, itten for up front and tweaked alfies role hagi coming in has had v time to settle now.

Midfield although we have players I think is where we need to strengthen most now

When we lost helander last year it didn't impact us straight away but it did eventually we were unbalanced..... now we have balogun had made a difference

We added roofe, itten for up front and tweaked alfies role hagi coming in has had v time to settle now.

Midfield although we have players I think is where we need to strengthen most now
I'd agree but the squad is heavy in Midfield in terms of numbers Oforboh basically replaces Zungu imo I think the main aims need to be retaining Goldson Tav and Kamara on long term deals and replacing squad players efficiently I think we will only spend big if one of our key players leaves for big money If not I think spending massive amounts would be reckless

Keane is even more far fetched than this Maresca non entity.
I‘m not so sure. Last nights tweet tells me they're going down the ‘appease the lowest common denominator’ route. The only time in my lifetime they flirted with being a progressive, forward thinking club was Rodgers, but they failed to back him. I can see another Sellic man coming in and a ramping up of the hate and victimhood. Keane, Stubbs, Goodwin, Clarke would all fit the bill.

I‘m not so sure. Last nights tweet tells me they're going down the ‘appease the lowest common denominator’ route. The only time in my lifetime they flirted with being a progressive, forward thinking club was Rodgers, but they failed to back him. I can see another Sellic man coming in and a ramping up of the hate and victimhood. Keane, Stubbs, Goodwin, Clarke would all fit the bill.
I can’t see how they can go from the notion of a young, progressive coach with a focus on youth to a demented crackpot like Keane with a distinctly inauspicious managerial CV.

I’d love to believe they were that scattershot and lacking in focus, but I think it highly unlikely.

I doubt either of these two will be next in the firing line over there. It’s simply too good to be true.

Noticed a big article in the Guardian yesterday about what a great Robbie Keane is GOING to be. Haha. You saw it here first.

You just got me thinking. Were Duffy and Goldson at Brighton at the same time, but Goldson wasnt picked ahead of Duffy?

Will take any foreign coach years to get to grips with the game up here.

Yes, please.

Maybe it will take him a while, but I don't think you can rule out foreign managers. Youth coaches used to more European styles and working with the best? Yeah can understand the concerns, but if Gerrard was to leave I hope we don't limit our search to just Britain.

If you take Edouard, Elyounoussi and Ajer out of the team this season I'm not sure what's left would be all that much better than Hibs and all 3 players will leave in the summer.

I wouldn't rule out that Maresca won't turn out to be a good manager in time but he will never be get it over there, we seen how quickly they turned on Lennon a few months into the season what will they do to this guy after a poor start?

They have around a 100 days till their European campaign starts not a lot of time to sign a dozen or so players and get them up to speed fitness and philosophy wise and that's only if the appoint someone this week which they probably won't.

The Celtic job is a poisoned chalice and most managers know it that's why they are looking at guys like this rather than a Rodgers type.

Keane would be great news for us. Great player and can be entertaining as a pundit but he does not have the skills needed to be a modern day manager

I'd imagine if it is this Maresca chap, they'd probably look to bring him in as a coach, with a diddy like Kennedy as the front man to take the flak.

That is my take also.

Celtic have dropped way too many points this season outwith OF (I know) games. Correct this to a degree, which shouldn't be too much to ask with a decent manager and before long the title race is down to head to head in OF games. After all, this was how Derek McInnes kept Dons going for season after season, making sure they won almost every game possible outwith those against us and them.

Lennon was a poor choice for them when Rodgers left, he was lucky he had a squad of winners and a rebuilding Rangers that enabled him to achieve success. However his laversion to modern training and tactics, as well as an inability to cope under pressure, saw this pack of cards crumble. IMHO a decent managerial appointment in the summer alongside a reasonable transfer budget should have the scum snapping at our heels. Fingers crossed they feck up once more.

This guy will be the trendy progressive face of their new coaching setup but Broon will be the real brains behind it.

He can settle in Largs and it'll be a part of home for him,

Nardinis and double jelly ice cream. mmmmmmmm.

Roy Keane again? Lovely.

“Right don’t shoot the messenger here, but heard a rumour today via someone who works in the world of estate agents. Cannot say more as it might be easier to identify the source if I did. It seems that an estate agent has been asked to provide at least four possible homes in the Glasgow area, preferably on the north side of the river for CFC. The name mentioned was Roy Keane. Wouldn’t be my choice but thought I would share the rumour, that’s all.”

Why would it not be your choice, unless you support them.?

I know this isn't the thread for it, and maybe there is one already, but this comment regarding Alfie has been one the most positive changes this season (especially second half of season).

It's working a treat right now.

If you take Edouard, Elyounoussi and Ajer out of the team this season I'm not sure what's left would be all that much better than Hibs and all 3 players will leave in the summer.

I wouldn't rule out that Maresca won't turn out to be a good manager in time but he will never be get it over there, we seen how quickly they turned on Lennon a few months into the season what will they do to this guy after a poor start?

They have around a 100 days till their European campaign starts not a lot of time to sign a dozen or so players and get them up to speed fitness and philosophy wise and that's only if the appoint someone this week which they probably won't.

The Celtic job is a poisoned chalice and most managers know it that's why they are looking at guys like this rather than a Rodgers type.
If you are a Celtic fan, or in anyway interested in Celtic and were trying to be realistic in their ability to bounce back there are so many considerations. Barring a total collapse in Rangers next year, several injuries, Gerrard leaving. board forcing too many key players sold, it's unlikely that they could win the league season 21-22.

Their team is falling apart, but even before that, their "style' was like an average amateur team. Goals were scored simply as a function of their players being better than other players in Scotland. There was no discernable system. When they came up against better teams, that wasn't good enough.

So take out the better players, and you are in deep trouble. They should be able to re-invest much of that money, but with recruitment being so critical how can they do that? They need a team to hit the ground running for Europe in maybe July, so you are looking at a squad assembled in mid-June. The players who they shift, would require to be sold to clubs who don't do their business so early. The first window will be tough. However, the extended window, may have them start to get their act together by late September, if - unlike this year- they recruit some decent players. However, by then they could be out of Europe- with the loss of that revenue and with the loss of that attraction for players.

So even with decent recruitment, they could toil early on. With our performances in Europe giving two CL places, maybe their targets should be lowered to one of those spots for 22-23. Season21-22, if they don't want to be in a freefall for several years has to be a rebuilding season. However, like season 88-89, their delusion will be their downfall. I'm not sure they realize how far they have fallen and how far we have climbed.

Never mind the pit boots, get the spikey golf shoes out.

Back