Euro 2028 - UK & Ireland

McQueen

Looks like this is happening after Turkey withdrew their bid and Russia were banned from football. The UK and Ireland bid will therefore be unopposed.

Would love to see Ibrox get some matches, but no doubt they’ll use that dump in Mount Florida for the Glasgow stadium.

Edit:

These are the stadiums the article speculates could be used:

Possible Euro 2028 venues​

• Wembley Stadium, London
  • Aviva Stadium, Dublin
  • Hampden Park, Glasgow
  • Principality Stadium, Cardiff
  • Murrayfield, Edinburgh
  • Old Trafford, Manchester
  • Etihad Stadium, Manchester
  • Anfield, Liverpool
  • Bramley-Moore Dock, Liverpool
  • St James’ Park, Newcastle
  • Windsor Park, Belfast
  • Croke Park, Dublin
  • King Power Stadium, Leicester
  • Villa Park, Birmingham
  • Elland Road, Leeds
  • Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London
  • Emirates Stadium, London
  • London Stadium… London

Last edited:
It's Murrayfield and Hampden to be used.

With the SFA hoping the redevelopment or upgrade of Hampden is paid for.

Realistically looking at about 12 venues:

Scotland

Murrayfield
Hampden

Would love us to push for Ibrox but it’ll never happen. Hopefully an excuse to get a bit of investment into Hampden to make it a bigger, better stadium but won’t hold my breath.

Wales

Millennium Stadium

NI

Windsor Park

RoI

Aviva Stadium

England

Wembley
Another in London
Old Trafford
Villa park
St James park
Anfield
Elland Road

Won’t be too far off this I think. I don’t see much point in involving Ireland or NI to be honest could have kept it as Scotland, Wales and England and maybe used likes of Swansea and Aberdeen etc

Windsor Park won't be included, too small, I think the minimum capacity is 30k
I think they’re hoping for some investment to redevelop it and bring it up to capacity. They’ll need to, otherwise there’ll be no stadiums in NI.

Windsor Park won't be included, too small, I think the minimum capacity is 30k
They'll definitely have a stadium in NI. I think 30k is the minimum size of a stadium for the Euros.

According to Wiki:
Countries must submit a bid with ten stadiums, one of which must have 60,000 seats, one of which (preferably two) must have 50,000 seats, four of which must have 40,000 seats and three of which must have 30,000 seats.

Realistically looking at about 12 venues:

Scotland

Murrayfield
Hampden

Would love us to push for Ibrox but it’ll never happen. Hopefully an excuse to get a bit of investment into Hampden to make it a bigger, better stadium but won’t hold my breath.

Wales

Millennium Stadium

NI

Windsor Park

RoI

Aviva Stadium

England

Wembley
Another in London
Old Trafford
Villa park
St James park
Anfield
Elland Road

Won’t be too far off this I think. I don’t see much point in involving Ireland or NI to be honest could have kept it as Scotland, Wales and England and maybe used likes of Swansea and Aberdeen etc

You could take Elland Road off the list. Very run down these days and transport links are poor. Unless the Euros allow funding for an upgrade of the stadium and surrounding area along with a train link.

There is no way murrayfield should be used. Its no better than hampden for distances behind goals. should be celtic park or Ibrox as the second stadium

Struggling to see the point in this when England have more than double the stadiums required to just go it alone.

Probably for the best (since no country actually wants to host this) is:
England in 2028
Scotland, Ireland and Wales in 2032

Struggling to see the point in this when England have more than double the stadiums required to just go it alone.

Probably for the best (since no country actually wants to host this) is:
England in 2028
Scotland, Ireland and Wales in 2032

The point?

So that Wales, Scotland and Ireland can be involved as otherwise they would never get the opportunity to host one of these events.

It's probably to build relations and togetherness across the whole UK and Ireland.

Everton's new stadium is due to be finished by then. Would that be an option?
Got to think Tottenham stadium will be in it.

The point?

So that Wales, Scotland and Ireland can be involved as otherwise they would never get the opportunity to host one of these events.

But they can host it the tournament after and have more of the spotlight. As you would have seen if you bothered to read the rest of my post.

Could see Molineux being included with all the expansions that’s planned for it.

It's probably to build relations and togetherness across the whole UK and Ireland.

Everton's new stadium is due to be finished by then. Would that be an option?
Got to think Tottenham stadium will be in it.
every chance bramley moore dock stadium wont get built now,they still have not got the finance to start the build,and with recent events usmanov"s money wont be forthcoming to everton , moshiri has funded the filling of the dock but i think this is as far as this project is going to get sadly,even if it was to be built the capacity was to be around 52,000,anfield by that time will hold 61,000 so i would assume they will get the nod

It does without saying that Ibrox is ten times the football venue than hampden which is a shambles for a so called national stadium. But we know if we push for a club stadium to be involved it would see the scum getting millions thrown at upgrading the nambladome at our expense, still irks me the use of that place for the commonwealth games.

You could take Elland Road off the list. Very run down these days and transport links are poor. Unless the Euros allow funding for an upgrade of the stadium and surrounding area along with a train link.

I’m thinking geographical spread - just a there not plans outlined to modernise Elland road a bit now Leeds are back where they belong

Actually quite limiting in terms of stadia you use. The key selling point is they have to spread across the whole country.

One option is 6 groups so 2 stadia per group (Italia 9 style).

1. Wembley + 1 London (although I’d save Wembley for KOs and use 2 London club grounds for groups)

2. Hampden and Murrayfield

3. Millennium and Swansea

3. Manchester + Liverpool

4. Newcastle + Leeds

5. Villa + Leicester

6. Dublin + Belfast

Or Spain 82 and have different stadia for groups and later rounds.

Groups

1. Arsenal and West Ham
2. Ibrox and Windsor ;)
3. City and Everton
4. Wolves and Leeds or Leicester
5. Newcastle and Sunderland
6. Southampton and Brighton

Other possibles could be Sheffield, Derby, Nottingham, Swansea, Hull

KOs

Wembley
Old Trafford
Anfield
Millennium
Spurs
Dublin
Villa

I don't understand why the UK don't do this alone. We have enough quality stadiums without a partnership with an enemy country.
I think FA thought if they went alone it would be voted against due to Europe disliking England in general so they got home nations plus Ireland on board.
Now with Turkey pulling out and Russia banned the only option is this joint bid and he FA are probably kicking themselves.

There is talk Casement Park in Belfast could be used. It could be used to justify giving the GAA a load of extra money. If built in time the planned capacity is 34K.

every chance bramley moore dock stadium wont get built now,they still have not got the finance to start the build,and with recent events usmanov"s money wont be forthcoming to everton , moshiri has funded the filling of the dock but i think this is as far as this project is going to get sadly,even if it was to be built the capacity was to be around 52,000,anfield by that time will hold 61,000 so i would assume they will get the nod
The Usmanov sanctions won’t have a direct impact on the stadium as he wasn’t involved in the financing for it, it’s a combination of money from Moshiri, local Govt grants and, in the main, private placement being arranged by JP Morgan.

The removal of his money will have a bigger impact on them as regards FFP.

Why aren’t folk using more of the London grounds?

West Ham
Arsenal
Spurs
Wembley

All five start stadia?

Elland Road - let’s be honest, it’s a shit hole.

locations for fan Zones, hotel accommodation and travel links will surely rule some cities in and out. Edinburgh & glasgow should pass on that front.

How many venues do they need to play all the games?

Obviously one venue at least per country giving five - Wembley, Hampden, Windsor, Cardiff and Aviva.
One more in London - probably London Stadium. NW England - Old Trafford. NE England - Newcastle. Midlands - Villa.

That’s nine, maybe one more? Cue the mentally challengeds getting their main stand rebuilt taking it up to 75,000, without spending a penny of their own money.

How many venues do they need to play all the games?

Obviously one venue at least per country giving five - Wembley, Hampden, Windsor, Cardiff and Aviva.
One more in London - probably London Stadium. NW England - Old Trafford. NE England - Newcastle. Midlands - Villa.

That’s nine, maybe one more? Cue the mentally challengeds getting their main stand rebuilt taking it up to 75,000, without spending a penny of their own money.
According to Wiki:
Countries must submit a bid with ten stadiums, one of which must have 60,000 seats, one of which (preferably two) must have 50,000 seats, four of which must have 40,000 seats and three of which must have 30,000 seats.

Why aren’t folk using more of the London grounds?

West Ham
Arsenal
Spurs
Wembley

All five start stadia?

Elland Road - let’s be honest, it’s a shit hole.

Qatar 2022 aside, they usually want a better geographical spread of venues.

Elland road is shite but it’s in the heart of the country. Most tournament hosts will put a bit of money into renovating venues

We should be all over this as a club and advertise Ibrox as a potential venue ,pushing for monies to be spent on infrastructure around our ground ,the gypsies have had plenty done around our place and I'm sure they will push to be included if this bid is successful.

Hampden will be certainly looking to take part through their fellow blazer friends in UEFA but in this day and age it is a disgrace of a national stadium.

An embarrassment to have games at Hampden. An old, outdated stadium that should be demolished. Other countries, even poor ones by our standards, have managed to build new modern stadiums, why can't our government sort something out?

Why can’t they scrap the one stadium per city rule?

Let’s be honest Hampden is a complete embarrassment.

•Glasgow - Ibrox and Parkhead
•Edinburgh - Murrayfield
•Manchester - Etihad and Old Trafford
•Liverpool - Anfield and Goodison
•Birmingham - Villa Park
•Newcastle - St James Park
•London - Tottenham, Arsenal, Chelsea then Wembley for final

Back