European games between 98-01

daviemc1872

Just watching highlights of some CL and UEFA cup games from that era and cant help but think we should of done far better, some big results and some stupid ones like sturm graz etc. probabaly had a squad decent enough for QF of CL and far better runs in UEFA, albeit there was some top class opposition back then.

Just watching highlights of some CL and UEFA cup games from that era and cant help but think we should of done far better, some big results and some stupid ones like sturm graz etc. probabaly had a squad decent enough for QF of CL and far better runs in UEFA, albeit there was some top class opposition back then.
1999/2000
Valencia: runner up that season and next.
Bayern: runner up season before, semi final this season, winner the next.
PSV: very decent team

Never expected to qualify from group, but very disappointed we didn't. We played Bayern off the park in Munich, just one of those nights. Should have put Dortmund out in the UEFA cup though. We blew the 2nd leg in Dortmund. We played some brillant football that European campaign.

2000/2001

Sturm Graz: strong at home, but rubbish away. We destroyed them at home. Never got into the game in Austria.
Monaco: dangerous team, but we blew it at home.
Galatasaray: Tough opposition, well beat away, but could have nicked it at Ibrox.

Should have qualified that season, we really screwed that one up.

Ultimately we weren't good enough to go any further, particularly in defense.

Strum Graz and Kaiserslautern away were grim.

aye i know the parma team that knocked us out were top class , valencia too but what a good squad we had, sometimes you need more luck as well.

1999/2000

Never expected to qualify from group, but very disappointed we didn't. We played Bayern off the park in Munich, just one of those nights. Should have put Dortmund out in the UEFA cup though. We blew the 2nd leg in Dortmund. We played some brillant football that European campaign.

2000/2001

Sturm Graz: strong at home, but rubbish away. We destroyed them at home. Never got into the game in Austria.
Galatasaray: Tough opposition, well beat away, but could have nicked it at Ibrox.

I remember sitting at the Sturm Graz home game with the wee band in the Broomloan playing, us playing great, technical football and thinking, “... this is what it will be like for the next 20 years.”
The media were filling us with stories about Champions’ League money, etc.

I can’t wait to hear that music again in a full Ibrox. With all that’s happened (including not being there in nearly a year just now) there’ll be a wee tear in this bear’s eye.

We did play some fantastic football and dominated a lot of teams like Bayern home and away.

Remember the Monaco home game being one we should’ve won but drew 2-2 and the Bayern game a goal in injury time to draw 1-1. From memory, our game management was just terrible and despite dominating teams, we always had a moment in us were we would switch off, which, at that level, was always punished.

I reckon all the luck we didn’t get in this campaign then went towards our Uefa Cup run in 2008. Though, having said that, our 07/08 Champions League campaign wasn’t too dissimilar to 99 & 00. Great position after 3 games (7 points), before throwing it away, losing to a team we shouldn’t have (Stuttgart away) and getting no luck in the final game (Darcheville miss from 5 yards vs Lyon).

We did play some fantastic football and dominated a lot of teams like Bayern home and away.

Remember the Monaco home game being one we should’ve won but drew 2-2 and the Bayern game a goal in injury time to draw 1-1. From memory, our game management was just terrible and despite dominating teams, we always had a moment in us were we would switch off, which, at that level, was always punished.

I reckon all the luck we didn’t get in this campaign then went towards our Uefa Cup run in 2008. Though, having said that, our 07/08 Champions League campaign wasn’t too dissimilar to 99 & 00. Great position after 3 games (7 points), before throwing it away, losing to a team we shouldn’t have (Stuttgart away) and getting no luck in the final game (Darcheville miss from 5 yards vs Lyon).
aye the monaco game i remember, kenny miller not score a cracking volley?

1999/2000

2000/2001

Won the UC the season before, some ridiculously tough draws in those days but that was a favourable draw:

Imagine the job Gerrard could've done in Europe with that sort of backing today

I'm saying he'd have got us to last 8 of Champions League, at its current level

Alternatively, imagine where we'd be now if the club was run by the current board back then instead of being Murray's plaything and running up bank debt.

The main thing I remember about those games is the atmospheres. Seen some wonderful football and great players - ours and opposition - but the atmospheres were incredible. And back then the home atmospheres were more lively than they have been in recent years in general.

aye the monaco game i remember, kenny miller not score a cracking volley?

Something like that :D

Pretty sure he’d just scored 5 against St Mirren the weekend before but it was still a shock that he was starting.

The PSV and Sturm Graz games are amongst the best European performances we’ve had in the last 30 years.

Personally think we underachieved on the whole over those 3 seasons.

98/99 i'll give you we came up against eventual winners Parma in the UEFA Cup so can have no real complaints there.

99/00 Tough CL group, unlucky not to progress. Feel that squad had the potential to go very far in that seasons UEFA cup, however a bottle job in Dortmund saw the end of that in our first tie of the competition.

00/01 Should have gotten out of that group. Dropping points at home to both Galatasaray and Monaco as well as that disasterous performance in Graz saw the end of that. Again, papped out the UEFA cup in the first tie. One of the worst peformances I think I ever saw of us in europe against Kaiserslautern.

Alternatively, imagine where we'd be now if the club was run by the current board back then instead of being Murray's plaything and running up bank debt.

The main thing I remember about those games is the atmospheres. Seen some wonderful football and great players - ours and opposition - but the atmospheres were incredible. And back then the home atmospheres were more lively than they have been in recent years in general.

First European game was in 2002/03 when we got knocked out by Victoria Zizkov. Absolutely cracking atmosphere that night and better than most of the later Champions League games.

Can only imagine what it was like in the last 90s. Parma looked insane, some team as well with Buffon, Cannavaro, Ortega, Crespo etc.

First European game was in 2002/03 when we got knocked out by Victoria Zizkov. Absolutely cracking atmosphere that night and better than most of the later Champions League games.

Can only imagine what it was like in the last 90s. Parma looked insane, some team as well with Buffon, Cannavaro, Ortega, Crespo etc.

That was the first proper European game I went to. My dad took me to the PAOK game earlier in the season, but the Parma game was another level.

The Zizkov result was a real sickener at the time, especially given the way the previous season ended on a positive note, but in the end it was a good thing. No way we could have known at the time it'd help us get over the line and win a treble.

Started so many campaigns brilliantly and then mess it up the last 2/3 games. Luck never on our side either.

Check out the Bayern away highlights. What an injustice we didn’t get anything that night against a top Bayern team. On another night we score 5.

That Khan save in the first half is outrageous. I know it's coming but every time I see it it still surprises me.

That Khan save in the first half is outrageous. I know it's coming but every time I see it it still surprises me.

It was insane. The number of saves he made and we hit the woodwork a few times too. Albertz, unusually, aiming all his shots straight at the keeper.

One of the most mental things was Mols 11 minutes in trying to chip Khan, who was on his line. Either extreme confidence or lost his bearings with that one :D

Remarkable they got the year wrong in that clip, embarrassing actually.

The Parma atmosphere (1999/2000) was special. I think we all fancied our chances that tie, especially after running them close in the UEFA the season before.

That was the first proper European game I went to. My dad took me to the PAOK game earlier in the season, but the Parma game was another level.

The Zizkov result was a real sickener at the time, especially given the way the previous season ended on a positive note, but in the end it was a good thing. No way we could have known at the time it'd help us get over the line and win a treble.
We were actually lucky we only lost 2-0 away to Zizkov, we were terrible in that 1st leg.

We should have hammered them at Ibrox though. They were terrible opposition, they had one real attack and scored. The rest of the game they were stuck in their own half. After going 3-0 up in ET, we should have comfortable seen the game out.

I remember Klos almost scoring a header in the desperation of the closing minutes of ET.

We were actually lucky we only lost 2-0 away to Zizkov, we were terrible in that 1st leg.

We should have hammered them at Ibrox though. They were terrible opposition, they had one real attack and scored. The rest of the game they were stuck in their own half. After going 3-0 up in ET, we should have comfortable seen the game out.

I remember Klos almost scoring a header in the desperation of the closing minutes of ET.

Yeah, at 3-0 up I think everyone thought we'd be able to see the game out. I suppose there were tired legs given we'd come in the game needing at least a 3-0, but at the time you don't think of that.

I'd never heard of Zizkov before that night, and that always makes a defeat worse somehow. After the big European nights of the Advocaat era that defeat felt like a real low point. Don't think any of us could have guessed by the end of the season we wouldn't be caring about that early exit.

I remember sitting in the BF and everyone thinking we’d got a penalty in injury time but instead the ref had given a corner.

Was disappointed but somehow left the stadium not feeling too bad. League was the absolute priority that season and everyone was thinking about Parkhead that Sunday.

Had a fairly decent UEFA Cup run 01/02 as well. Knocked out PSG then were unlucky (again...) not to get through against Feyenoord. Another 5 minutes on the clock and we were getting an equaliser.

The funny think is we got totally lambasted by the media for our European performances from 94-2001. Regardless of what we did, look at today, sellik a absolutely repugnant euro performances are airbrushed from history.

Started so many campaigns brilliantly and then mess it up the last 2/3 games. Luck never on our side either.

Check out the Bayern away highlights. What an injustice we didn’t get anything that night against a top Bayern team. On another night we score 5.

heartbreak that night with Mols

but what a performance by RANGERS

That performance was similar to the cup final loss to Celtic a a couple of years ago, to absolutely batter them and come away with a 1-0 loss is criminal. Mols was never really the same after that match either IMO

I remember sitting in the BF and everyone thinking we’d got a penalty in injury time but instead the ref had given a corner.

Was disappointed but somehow left the stadium not feeling too bad. League was the absolute priority that season and everyone was thinking about Parkhead that Sunday.

Had a fairly decent UEFA Cup run 01/02 as well. Knocked out PSG then were unlucky (again...) not to get through against Feyenoord. Another 5 minutes on the clock and we were getting an equaliser.
Lovenkrands and mols chances against feyenoord should have buried both

Feyenoord who won it, IMO we would have won it that year had we beaten them but sadly they had a top class diving bastard up top.

Mols chance was a sitter too.

Feyenoord who won it, IMO we would have won it that year had we beaten them but sadly they had a top class diving bastard up top.

Mols chance was a sitter too.

VHD getting a freekick at the edge of our box was basically like getting a penalty for them, couldnt believe his success rate against us - used to shit myself every time we gave away a free kick at the edge of the box

VHD getting a freekick at the edge of our box was basically like getting a penalty for them, couldnt believe his success rate against us - used to shit myself every time we gave away a free kick at the edge of the box
Yeah agreed, part of me wishes he agreed to join us when Advocaat approached him because his record at every club was ridiculous.

Also would have wound them right up, for all he was diving prick he was a dynamite goal scorer as shown by his 50 caps for a good Holland side.

A young Glen Loovens played for that Feyenoord side too, along with RVP who is still running away from Tony Vidmar.

We still should have beaten them, that was our best chance of a European trophy.

We always got put out by the teams that would either win it or get to the final, a lot of bad luck cost us imo.
Yes, the group with Valencia, Bayern and PSG would be right up there with the hardest groups in the history of the competition. And we still should have qualified.

Yes, the group with Valencia, Bayern and PSG would be right up there with the hardest groups in the history of the competition. And we still should have qualified.
PSV mate, not PSG.

As you say, we were painfully unlucky that year.

Some outstanding performances against Bayern Munich and Parma. The away performance in Munich is probably as good as we've played in Europe away from home.

Pros - Some good results and Advocaat was starting from a low base due to our poor European performances for a number of years. We needed two qualifiers just to reach the UEFA Cup First Round in 1998.

Cons - Lost in Dortmund, Kaiserlautern, Fenerbahce, Graz. All winnable ties. Started the 00/01 CL group campaign with two wins and still failed to qualify. Didn't qualify at all in 01/02 and failed to progress in UEFA Cup.

Overall, it was a promising start but from November 1999 onwards it was downhill and we underachieved over the period.

Think about it this way. 1999 at Ibrox Bayern Munich come away from the game with a lucky deflection to get a point and they are celebrating it like a victory. Bayern Munich who where in the final the year before and would win it the following season are coming away from Ibrox with a point and thinking we where extremely lucky to get it.

That's where we where. If we got a point off Bayern Munich now I would need the next week off work.

I wonder how many people would have believed you after the 5-0 Sturm Graz game if you had said that they would qualify, and we wouldn't.

Some of it was poor game management - losing a last minute equaliser in Dortmund when we were seconds away from going through and Amoruso gifting Monaco a point with only ten minutes remaining at Ibrox the following season to progress - but a lot was just bad luck, in particular both games against Bayern, where a deflected free kick in the final minute earned them a point they didn’t deserve at Ibrox and a combination of the woodwork, Oliver Kahn and that injury to Michael Mols prevented us qualifying at their expense in Munich.

Overall though, they’re just excuses.

We spent a fortune on that squad and should have expected more than two group stage qualifications in four years.

We always got put out by the teams that would either win it or get to the final, a lot of bad luck cost us imo.

Applies to 98/99 Uefa Cup with Parma.
CL Group 99/00 with Valencia and Bayern Munich.
Uefa Cup 01/02 with Feyenoord

Doesn't apply to 99/00 Uefa Cup with Dortmund
00/01 CL with Galatasaray and Sturm Graz
00/01 Uefa Cup with Kaiserslautern
CL Qualifiers 01/02 with Fenerbahce

Applies to 98/99 Uefa Cup with Parma.
CL Group 99/00 with Valencia and Bayern Munich.
Uefa Cup 01/02 with Feyenoord

Doesn't apply to 99/00 Uefa Cup with Dortmund
00/01 CL with Galatasaray and Sturm Graz
00/01 Uefa Cup with Kaiserslautern
CL Qualifiers 01/02 with Fenerbahce
Had just won the UEFA cup to be fair, albeit we should still have a beaten them.

Agree with all your other points, should really be beating all of them with relative ease.

Had just won the UEFA cup to be fair, albeit we should still have a beaten them.

They did and were a decent enough team but they never went to the final of the CL like the post quoted suggested. After the Super Cup that season, they never won another trophy after being treble winners the season prior.

Ultimately we beat Monaco in the last game and Galatasaray would have been back in the Uefa Cup.

They did and were a decent enough team but they never went to the final of the CL like the post quoted suggested. After the Super Cup that season, they never won another trophy after being treble winners the season prior.

Ultimately we beat Monaco in the last game and Galatasaray would have been back in the Uefa Cup.
Can’t remember which game it was, Advocaat played Tugay at sweeper due to the success of it in Monaco but in this case it didn’t work at all.

Upon reflection, basic errors & managerial decisions cost us in that CL campaign.

Can’t remember which game it was, Advocaat played Tugay at sweeper due to the success of it in Monaco but in this case it didn’t work at all.

He was guilty of stuff like that a few times.

He successfully nullified Luc Nillis in the 4-1 win against PSV by playing Derek McIness on him.

Decided to play the exact same team against Valencia who were a completely different outfit and McIness was subbed off in the first half.

He was guilty of stuff like that a few times.

He successfully nullified Luc Nillis in the 4-1 win against PSV by playing Derek McIness on him.

Decided to play the exact same team against Valencia who were a completely different outfit and McIness was subbed off in the first half.
Think it’s DM I meant rather than Tugay, so thanks. He was quite prone to Hubris, which probably made him relatable to Murray :))

For all Advocaat was a highly respected European coach, I think the fans were expecting someone of a higher quality.

For example the bold Sven, or Otmar Hitzfeld who was rumoured. In hindsight I wonder if anyone would trade Advocaat for such managers.

I probably wouldn’t

Think it’s DM I meant rather than Tugay, so thanks. He was quite prone to Hubris, which probably made him relatable to Murray :))

For all Advocaat was a highly respected European coach, I think the fans were expecting someone of a higher quality.

For example the bold Sven, or Otmar Hitzfeld who was rumoured. In hindsight I wonder if anyone would trade Advocaat for such managers.

I probably wouldn’t
I wanted Guus Hiddink at the time, but I don’t think he was ever seriously in the running.

Advocaat had a good CV, but Hiddink’s was better.

After those first two seasons however, I don’t think anyone would have changed him for all the tea in China.

Last edited:
Back