European games between 98-01

The way that we reminisce about that era, the teams and those players you'd think we were challenging for titles in Europe year in, year out instead of going out regularly in the group stages. It's the same thing as Scotland going off to win the World Cup in Argentina despite getting put out on their arses in the group stage every single time.

The way that we reminisce about that era, the teams and those players you'd think we were challenging for titles in Europe year in, year out instead of going out regularly in the group stages. It's the same thing as Scotland going off to win the World Cup in Argentina despite getting put out on their arses in the group stage every single time.

Kind of the way I’ve been thinking recently. Considering the money spent, that was a horrendous failure not getting past the group stage. Even worse when you consider an Eck team that finished 3rd in a two horse race was able to do it with a by far worse team.

On the other side of things, some of the players and football we played was breathtaking and the best we’ve probably ever seen. Albeit the successes were all domestic.

Kind of the way I’ve been thinking recently. Considering the money spent, that was a horrendous failure not getting past the group stage. Even worse when you consider an Eck team that finished 3rd in a two horse race was able to do it with a by far worse team.

On the other side of things, some of the players and football we played was breathtaking and the best we’ve probably ever seen. Albeit the successes were all domestic.
The group of Bayern, Valencia, PSV and us was ridiculous but we had excellent players and should have done better.

The group of Bayern, Valencia, PSV and us was ridiculous but we had excellent players and should have done better.

Very true and we didn’t get much luck in either campaign. Though I struggle to believe Murray spent all those millions to be content with us just making the group stages. And the lack of financial return obviously led to the massive debt and downsizing of the 2000s.

Very true and we didn’t get much luck in either campaign. Though I struggle to believe Murray spent all those millions to be content with us just making the group stages. And the lack of financial return obviously led to the massive debt and downsizing of the 2000s.
Yes, Bayern’s equaliser at Ibrox was a joke. It wasn’t a foul and then the free kick was deflected into the net.

Back