European Super League Officially Announced - All Comments In This Thread - Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Man United, Spurs & Chelsea all out of it

Lower league football, especially in Scotland has to be financed in different ways.

Are you seriously comparing League 2 in Scotland to the English Premier League?

The finances are different but the idea is the same.

There's no real difference between Man United still wanting to play youth and fringe players in an EPL they couldn't win and couldn't represent in Europe from a colt team playing in a league it can't win and can't gain promotion from.

If the idea of 7th place in the EPL being "champions" and earning the CL place is crazy then the idea of 3rd or 4th in the Championship being promoted to the top flight as champions is also questionable.

So ESL reckon UEFA and EPL can't exclude them ? Eh, they can.

"Right so we'll stay in EPL with £400m more income than you lot...and you'll never win anything again. But 9th might get you into Europe".

I suspect that there is a legal quagmire here. The right to exclusion will depend on individual country laws as well as the rules and regulations that each club agreed to when they joined the association.

However, there are a range of other laws and regulations which can come into play such as competition law and which could prevent this Super League happening for several years.

Then there is UEFA and FIFA. They are based in Switzerland and subject to Swiss law although other jurisdictions can come into play there as well. Swiss law may well allow UEFA to exclude them from European competition.

Short of a fairly rapid compromise solution, I think we may well be in for years of wrangling.

More money for the owners to keep!
This is the very heart of this.

Who is ot that man utd/Madrid/Barca want to sign that they can't afford now?

They want a cap and guaranteed profit.

Unfort for them, it also opens the door for the remaining champions League clubs to overtake them. Free market capitalism (with free market competition) can be wonderful.

Campbell Ogilvie is a good guy and a top football man, still meet him every now and again doing his supermarket shopping in the leafy suburbs of Anniesland and Bearsden

Bamford nailed it!

I wasn’t wanting to post it but they want to kick clubs out for wanting change etc however racism is just a fine and suspension
Why is everyones response to these things always "aye, but x is happening so this is a bit hypocritical/stupid"

Can we not recognise that both of these things are terrible deserve the harshest punishments? Better yet why is Bamford defending them?

The governments of the UK, the EU and their individual countries are literally going through their books with UEFA's lawyers right now to see what they have to change to make it legal.

The assumptions they made about "Governments not getting involved" are wrong.
And lets be honest, without the English clubs, this thing is dead in the water. If the political will really exists in government to stop it from happening, it wont happen and there is nothing this cartel can do to change that.

The governments of the UK, the EU and their individual countries are literally going through their books with UEFA's lawyers right now to see what they have to change to make it legal.

The assumptions they made about "Governments not getting involved" are wrong.

Worth considering that if the ordinary fans are dead set against it then that may influence the politicians. After all, fans vote.

Bayern, PSG, Dortmund, Porto refused to join the scabs.
Ban the 12 nominated clubs from europe next season and ban all players from Euros and World Cup.

I wouldn't stop at next season. I'd give them 7 days to withdraw their intent or I'd be giving them a 10 year ban and urging their national associations to be giving them the maximum available sanction, otherwise the entire national association will suffer the same fate.

They (the 12 rebel clubs) pushed the nuclear button, so only fair that they also feel the force of the nuclear option coming straight back at them.

Sky sports seem to be backing off but that’s pish imo, in fact it’s quite crafty, they ESL stated Comcast and not Sky ( same company though ) and pretty much how it needs to look

Just imagine The half time show at the first European super league final, 11pm kick off on a Sunday night, Bruno Mars on stage with thousands of fans waving there big foam hands in the air.
Think of the Paddy Power half time adverts!

Carra putting Neville on spot about being a pundit for it, hopefully he confirms he wants nothing to do with it

Carra putting Neville on spot about being a pundit for it, hopefully he confirms he wants nothing to do with it

Somebody else will happily do the job.

If this thing kicks off, the money involved is astronomical. It blows Sky out of the water. All the managers, players, pundits and coaches etc will be the best paid in their field in the world.

Most peoples morals go out the window when they see pound signs flashing in front of them.

Went onto the manutd forum to see how fans are reaction and seen a thread with "the i am looking forward to the super leagued thread"

Maybe man utd wasnt the best place to start to gauge fan reaction.

With that much money on the table, I wouldn't be surprised to see English clubs train on the continent to get around potential Visa blocks

A day now and think I made my mind up. As long as FIFA/UEFA and the FA's stick to their guns I hope this happens.

This isn't the NFL who try and mix it up about with schedules at least this is our game. Let these teams piss off, the rest of us can get back to normal football. Won't take long before Spurs and Arsenal fans are bored getting beat by the same teams every year.

Personally I will never watch a minute of any Super League.

So these clubs get punted from their domestic leagues and don't participate in UEFA competitions.

Surely this would cause the whole thing to flop?

You've got super league matches every midweek but by about matchday 10 a lot of them have become meaningless anyway. Then the quarters, semis and finals are STILL just the same 8 teams every year basically.

Except people will always speculate that the Germans are better or the French are better or Arsenal have become so poor that maybe a Porto or Ajax are far better.

If this is supposedly an idea to leave "legacy fans" behind then how will the time zones work? 8pm kick off UK time is noon on the US west coast and 2am in Eastern China?

Or will we end up with Arsenal being moved from London to New York and United being moved to China?

It seems like something that could flop.

South American football is still huge and surely the European football that would be left behind would still have a massive following and earning potential?

What's to stop them setting up their 'own' international football with the players in their league?

Simple maths. An international side needs, what a minimum pool of around 30 players.

There are 211 countries recognised by FIFA.

That requires over 6000 players.

There are only going to be 15 permanent clubs involved in this. It would mean each club would have to have over 400 players.

It seems like the two big Spanish teams have the most to gain from this given they are currently 900 million Euros and 1.1 billion Euros in debt, Barcelona and Real Madrid have totally dominated European football in the last 15-20 years so why would the other big clubs get together and agree a plan to basically bail them out?

Back