European Super League Officially Announced - All Comments In This Thread - Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Man United, Spurs & Chelsea all out of it

Just caught up with the Real Madrid presidents interview from last night, these crooks genuinely believe they are saving football, he seems adamant that they won't be kicked from the UCL this season and players won't be banned from international duty, so I'm assuming UEFA will take a massive pay off and that'll be it, sickening.
It was an absolute car crash statement. The admission about debt could cause this to implode. Setting up a league to prevent insolvency is not the stuff of champions and advertisers won’t like that patter one bit.

Anyone got a clip of Klopps post match interview? Cant find it anywhere! Milners is on Skys app but cant see Klopps.

Anyone got a clip of Klopps post match interview? Cant find it anywhere! Milners is on Skys app but cant see Klopps.

It’s an American franchise pipe dream it’ll be dead in the water next week.They don’t understand football, the supporters,our love of our clubs or offside.Just think about their bullshit idea of having a women’s version of the ESL I’ve nothing against ladies football but it’s in it’s infancy and needs time to grow the Americans and their European equivalents need to come out of their ivory towers into the real world it’s us the supporters that made our clubs what they are not bullshit suits sitting in a penthouse thinking about their next multimillion dollar deal it’s dead in the water you yank cranks.

Thats only the pre match with a 44 second post match clip. I was hoping to see what he said about Neville!

I just watched Klopp's interview and reaction to the Leeds t-shirts and Gary Neville. The former you could say is an inventive wind up but the latter (Neville) is getting way to big for his boots on the subject. Overall he appears to have zero self awareness.

I'm against this ESL but the hypocrisy of Sky and UEFA is absolutely mind blowing. The UEFA CL is set-up in such a way that they make sure the "elite" clubs are always there at the end. Clubs like us have to achieve a miracle to get anywhere near that trophy. Win our league at a canter, then have to go through multiple qualifying rounds. If we somehow manage that,UEFA are raging therefore want us out ASAP so we'll be "seeded" bottom of the group in order to get us out quickly.

As for Sky, they've already created their own greed-filled "Super League" in the Premier League. When I see everyone kicking off saying it'll no longer be the working mans game etc I have to chuckle a wee bit. It hasn't been for years.

There's players that play for clubs like Newcastle on like 60k+ a week.

If anything, this ESL might actually benefit clubs like us.

It’s an American franchise pipe dream it’ll be dead in the water next week.They don’t understand football, the supporters,our love of our clubs or offside.Just think about their bullshit idea of having a women’s version of the ESL I’ve nothing against ladies football but it’s in it’s infancy and needs time to grow the Americans and their European equivalents need to come out of their ivory towers into the real world it’s us the supporters that made our clubs what they are not bullshit suits sitting in a penthouse thinking about their next multimillion dollar deal it’s dead in the water you yank cranks.
I’m not convinced they don’t understand it. I think they do and it just isn’t what they want, so they’re trying to change it moving forward. The reference to “legacy fans” suggests they genuinely don’t want the historic values and principles of footballing communities to persist and they want to shift to a different type of audience and “supporter” altogether.

They see clubs as purely brands and will model them to attract audiences that can be marketed to rather then the existing support who have the clubs’ histories running through their veins.

Looking forward to seeing Gary Neville on the ESL Sunday night football show next season analysing the incidents at the end of each quarter of a match. Expecting the referees to look like John Anderson the ref from tv show Gladiators.

I just watched Klopp's interview and reaction to the Leeds t-shirts and Gary Neville. The former you could say is an inventive wind up but the latter (Neville) is getting way to big for his boots on the subject. Overall he appears to have zero self awareness.
Neville is getting way to big for his boots? The guy lives and breathes football and as an owner of a club in the same pyramid as the top 6 faces the possibility of the club going bankrupt. He absolutely has every right to fight this passionately and so should every other fan of the sport.

Last edited:
An interesting 24 hours in football, that’s for sure. My reflections:
  • I’m 100% against the super league proposal. Why? It’s an anti-competitive closed shop focused entirely on money and a total absence of sporting integrity or achievement.
  • I don’t want Rangers in any way involved in this and would hope that our board would swiftly knock an invitation back. I don’t believe we‘ll get one though.
  • Neville and Carragher were dynamite on MNF last night. Neville in particular articulates the opposition to this very well indeed. He‘s excellent.
  • Klopp was emotional last night but he has been thrown under the bus by his owners. He has always been opposed to this concept and is right to say that managers and players should not be getting criticised for the actions of their owners. I think his opposition to it will be better articulated in coming days and I can see him returning to manage in Germany after this season.
  • I’m backing UEFA on this and hope they stick to their tough stance vs the 12 clubs. I’m cynical however and think there will be some form of fudged negotiation that will give these clubs most of what they want under a UEFA structure.
  • I can’t ignore the hypocrisy of several bodies - EPL and UEFA included - who have led us to this position with their continual restructuring of the game to financially benefit the richer clubs, best example being the fact that 4 teams qualify for the so called “champions league”. It’s a case of who has their nose most in the trough. Currently the Super League cartel are barging their way in front of the others to get to the riches first.

Neville is getting way to big for his boots? The guy lives and breathes football and as an owner of a club in the same pyramid as the top 6 faces the possibility of the club going bankrupt. He absolutely has every right to fit this passionately and so should every other fan of the sport.
I don't know how anyone could come to the conclusion that Neville is getting too big for his boots, him and Carragher were excellent last night, Carragher openly slaughtering SKY aswell was a shock.

I'm against this ESL but the hypocrisy of Sky and UEFA is absolutely mind blowing. The UEFA CL is set-up in such a way that they make sure the "elite" clubs are always there at the end. Clubs like us have to achieve a miracle to get anywhere near that trophy. Win our league at a canter, then have to go through multiple qualifying rounds. If we somehow manage that,UEFA are raging therefore want us out ASAP so we'll be "seeded" bottom of the group in order to get us out quickly.

As for Sky, they've already created their own greed-filled "Super League" in the Premier League. When I see everyone kicking off saying it'll no longer be the working mans game etc I have to chuckle a wee bit. It hasn't been for years.

Totally agree, this is an extension of what's already happened. There was a pretence football wasn't fucked by the money men but now it's totally out in the open. Hopefully it's a step too far and some proper change will come from all this outrage, but can't say I'm holding my breath.

I would imagine Gerrard will come out firmly against this today.
He knows the clout he has with the supporters of that team, he really has to watch what he says about this as it could cause mayhem if he was to add even more dismay to these unlucky football fans. Their hero going full gun-ho might not be a great thing to do at this moment of time.

You are correct , the stench of hypocrisy is strong here.
The other 14 Pl teams are happy being in that big rich tent pissing outwards. now, they find there may be an even better tent , with more money and they cannot get into it- toys out the pram.

Also, on the Athletic this morning, they quote clause 6.1.1 of a standard PL player contract, which states that the clubs must adhere to all regulatory rules, be it FIFA, uefa, FA Pl or EL. Clubs cannot do anything to stop a player featuring for their country.
This means , in theory, any club leaving these competitions is in breach of contract- so rangers can scoop up kevin de bruyne for free!!!!!!

An interesting 24 hours in football, that’s for sure. My reflections:
  • I’m 100% against the super league proposal. Why? It’s an anti-competitive closed shop focused entirely on money and a total absence of sporting integrity or achievement.
  • I don’t want Rangers in any way involved in this and would hope that our board would swiftly knock an invitation back. I don’t believe we‘ll get one though.
  • Neville and Carragher were dynamite on MNF last night. Neville in particular articulates the opposition to this very well indeed. He‘s excellent.
  • Klopp was emotional last night but he has been thrown under the bus by his owners. He has always been opposed to this concept and is right to say that managers and players should not be getting criticised for the actions of their owners. I think his opposition to it will be better articulated in coming days and I can see him returning to manage in Germany after this season.
  • I’m backing UEFA on this and hope they stick to their tough stance vs the 12 clubs. I’m cynical however and think there will be some form of fudged negotiation that will give these clubs most of what they want under a UEFA structure.
  • I can’t ignore the hypocrisy of several bodies - EPL and UEFA included - who have led us to this position with their continual restructuring of the game to financially benefit the richer clubs, best example being the fact that 4 teams qualify for the so called “champions league”. It’s a case of who has their nose most in the trough. Currently the Super League cartel are barging their way in front of the others to get to the riches first.
Excellent post.

I’m not convinced they don’t understand it. I think they do and it just isn’t what they want, so they’re trying to change it moving forward. The reference to “legacy fans” suggests they genuinely don’t want the historic values and principles of footballing communities to persist and they want to shift to a different type of audience and “supporter” altogether.

They see clubs as purely brands and will model them to attract audiences that can be marketed to rather then the existing support who have the clubs’ histories running through their veins.
The phrase legacy fans is a disgusting use of language and shows disdain for what makes football the sport it is. I genuinely think if this goes ahead it will be very short lived success. I wouldn't be paying another subscription to watch this. Not that fussed on existing champions league not really watched that for last 5 years. Bit boring and repetitive. Needs uncertainty and it doesn't have that at present.

UEFA in my view will cave into this. We should be working with others to find a way forward for us. Current situation where either us or the beasts win every league title isn't helpful to anyone, including us. To improve we need competition, real competition that has a realistic chance of winning. The Dutch league has had many more winners than we have over the last 20 years.

Also European competition needs to change so we have less of these qualification rounds and a fairer seeding system. Let these pricks go and do what they want. We should then go back to having a champions league. For champions.

We need to seize opportunity here to wrestle some power away from the big teams. There is opportunity in this and it needs exploited.

I genuinely think the arrogance of these clubs meant they thought the other sides in the league would just roll over and accept this.
They can't as it would be the end of the EPL. Six teams would finish 1-6 every year. Fans would switch off in huge numbers.

Neville is getting way to big for his boots? The guy lives and breathes football and as an owner of a club in the same pyramid as the top 6 faces the possibility of the club going bankrupt. He absolutely has every right to fight this passionately and so should every other fan of the sport.
Yes, he comes across as not passionate, but very arrogant.

Last edited:
“Exceed fan expectations: “Our aim is to deliver to fans the best football possible while providing access for qualifying clubs to ensure the vibrancy of the competition and to maintain a strong commitment to the principle of sporting merit.””.

This is a league format where ultimately nothing matters. Teams like Spurs and Arsenal can and will be whipping boys for eternity, but they’ll be bringing in money. Where is the vibrancy or sporting merit?
Also the 15 founding members get more cash than the 5 annual invitees.

Liverpool players will fit right into this European super league the way they were jumping about at there trophy presentation last season wearing rose gold ray bann shades, expensive jewellery dripping off them and doing Snapchat’s.

If this goes ahead and the 6 teams are out of the EPL it’s almost inevitable we will be asked to join the EPL. Leicester and West Ham battling it out for titles will not appeal to the likes of Sky and BT. I’m not sure it would be that appealing for us now without the big teams.

I’ve watched quite a lot of fans reaction from Liverpool and United on YouTube and it is really sad for the loyal fans. They are basically getting their team taken from them because the rich owners can make more globalising the product and selling it to new fans in Asia and America.

There needs to be serious sanctions applied to the owners and board members of these clubs. Not a big fan of punishing the clubs from our own experience when the fans, players, managers etc have done nothing wrong and weren’t even in the loop

I wonder what the chairmen and owners of the other breakaway clubs will be thinking when they read Perez's insane ramblings tonight. Twitchy arseholes all round?

The Italian trio in particular seen fairly non-committal judging by their statement, yet here's old man Perez saying theres no backing out and prepared to go full nuclear with regards to FIFA / UEFA - and that's before you even take into account the patronising nonsense about beinh the saviours of football, shorter games etc.

And reading between the lines, you can't help but get the impression that this has all been cooked up with the main aim all along being to save Madrid and Barca from the utter financial mess they have created for themselves - they certainly appear to be the deepest in the mire and have the most to gain.

As another poster put it so eloquently, the other clubs may well have been "fanny dazzled" by his promises and the numbers involved, but grossly underestimated the universal negative response and potential punishments to the whole thing. I get that these owners are all cold, hard businessmen at the end of the day but will any of them blink in the war of words that will only ramp up further in the coming days? Time will tell. I think it's a 50/50 shot at this moment on time whether it goes all the way or not.
I like this post. It is like a big bully who cannot fight for shit but has the size, has rounded up a few kids from the year below and called out a fight with the school up the road. Now that the 2 sides are stood on the wasteland, the kids the bully brought are uming and ahing, in a wee gaggle trying to work out if they really want to scrap the other lot while the bully is up front and center, thinking he is secure in his allies, screaming blue bloody murder at the kids from Grange hill.

the perez comments are horrific, theyve had millions from the spanish govt, theyre spending millions on their stadium, theyve just topped the list for highest revenue club in the world, theyre pleading poverty? honestly get them to f
So Real Madrid and Barcelona are close to bankruptcy but rather than sell assets and suffer some years of poor performance like all other teams, they want to leave with the ball? Basically admitting that they are breaching FFP.

Over the last few years my interest in football has been on the wane unless it's Rangers. I never thought this could/would happen. Ever since I recall I'd been a football nut, played it, read about it, watched it, talked about it 24/7.

However, the seemingly inexorable move towards what we're now facing has ruined the game for me. Looking back it probably had it's roots in the advent of the Premier League in England and the creation of an 'elite' within the game down there. There was always big clubs, average size clubs and smaller clubs but there was genuine competition. The FA Cup was the jewel in the crown, the best cup competition in the game but these 'elite' clubs now treat it with contempt. That was the start of it.

Up here due to the small population, but with two gigantic clubs, there was always going to be an imbalance in competition, but Rangers is everything to me so that interest will always be there.

In simplistic terms, money and the pursuit of money, has killed the beautiful game. So in that respect the broadcasters like Sky and BT have to accept that they have also played a part in the games destruction.

It's a sad reality but football means the square root of diddly squat to me this morning.

At the end of the day he has no problem with England as well as the other 4 big leagues hovering up the Champions League money. Constantly on at UEFA for more money, more places, more automatic qualifiers with no fucks given about the other 50 leagues in Europe.

He is only annoyed now because most English clubs are now going to find themselves on the opposite side of that equation.

Some of the stuff from the Perez interview was mad. When you want to go on a PR offensive it’s always a good idea to get a 70s Bond Villain to do the talking.

Give it time and he’ll be talking about starting a new race of super footballers in space or under the sea.

Over the last few years my interest in football has been on the wane unless it's Rangers. I never thought this could/would happen. Ever since I recall I'd been a football nut, played it, read about it, watched it, talked about it 24/7.

However, the seemingly inexorable move towards what we're now facing has ruined the game for me. Looking back it probably had it's roots in the advent of the Premier League in England and the creation of an 'elite' within the game down there. There was always big clubs, average size clubs and smaller clubs but there was genuine competition. The FA Cup was the jewel in the crown, the best cup competition in the game but these 'elite' clubs now treat it with contempt. That was the start of it.

Up here due to the small population, but with two gigantic clubs, there was always going to be an imbalance in competition, but Rangers is everything to me so that interest will always be there.

In simplistic terms money and the pursuit of money has killed the beautiful game. So in that respect the broadcasters like Sky and BT have to accept that they have also played a part in the games destruction.

It's a sad reality but football means the square root of diddly squat to me this morning.
Exactly my thoughts and you've saved me typing them out AV.

At the end of the day he has no problem with England as well as the other 4 big leagues hovering up the Champions League money. Constantly on at UEFA for more money, more places, more automatic qualifiers with no fucks given about the other 50 leagues in Europe.

He is only annoyed now because most English clubs are now going to find themselves on the opposite side of that equation.
To be fair, I think he genuinely has the same concerns as the rest of us and you can tell by the passion in his voice.

He’s a United fan, who loves his club but he was giving them it tight last night because they are essentially trying to destroy football.

If this goes ahead and the 6 teams are out of the EPL it’s almost inevitable we will be asked to join the EPL. Leicester and West Ham battling it out for titles will not appeal to the likes of Sky and BT. I’m not sure it would be that appealing for us now without the big teams.

I’ve watched quite a lot of fans reaction from Liverpool and United on YouTube and it is really sad for the loyal fans. They are basically getting their team taken from them because the rich owners can make more globalising the product and selling it to new fans in Asia and America.

There needs to be serious sanctions applied to the owners and board members of these clubs. Not a big fan of punishing the clubs from our own experience when the fans, players, managers etc have done nothing wrong and weren’t even in the loop
Wait until these money men decide that Spurs for example just aren't adding enough to the pot, the would ad much more if based in New York. The y would just move the franchise. Fans mean nothing to them.

That could and would in the fullness of time happen.

Are you sure that’s the reason ? I thought it was the fact the club the man has loved his entire life is being ripped away from its traditions in the English League and European Cup/Champions League

Back