Expectations for Europa League This Season?

I would take getting knocked out in the qualifiers to focus on the league.

Stop 9 in a row as EL will be a distraction.

I get the argument that it could possibly not help us with the league due to fatigue or whatever but i still feel reaching the group stages is a must. The money made from it as well as the players, generally playing better players, will get better with the experience too.

Money wise and the coefficients Id be happy with a reasonable account of ourselves in the group stages. As others have said the league is a must this year and if it means taking a hit then so be it. I want to see us win every game but the league has to be top priority.

I would take getting knocked out in the qualifiers to focus on the league.

Stop 9 in a row as EL will be a distraction.
I don’t agree that it’s one or the other.

European football enhances your league prospects IMO.

- Significantly more revenue generated
- Players get experience playing against better sides
- Coaches get experience against different tactical styles
- ‘Resting’ doesn’t happen when there’s no European football. Players train every day regresdless. They’d rather be playing football matches.

This idea that it’s league vs Europe is wide of the mark. It should be about both.

- ‘Resting’ doesn’t happen when there’s no European football. Players train every day regresdless. They’d rather be playing football matches.

This idea that it’s league vs Europe is wide of the mark. It should be about both.

It is an absolute fact that a European campaign tires players out. Training every day, especially with sports scientists involved, is designed specifically to have players at peak physical ability. Games are far more intense, physically and mentally. There is a reason that title chasing sides tend to ignore the Europa league.

The revenue is not really of any use in the short term as the campaign happens for the most part between windows.

All depends on the draw in the qualifiers. No guarantees of avoiding a much tougher draw than ladt season. Once in the group stage itself we should be looking to qualify from the group.

Plus European football showcases your players against a higher standards domestic, increasing their value.

What do we all feel should be our aim for the EL this year?

I’m hoping just to get qualified first then I’d be looking at trying to get into the knockout stages from the group. If you put our current squad in our group from last year I seriously think we’d progress no bother.

A year on and the squad is really starting to come together and we’ve added strength in depth, something that we previously didn’t have.

Looking back on last year our squad was just formed and look how well we performed in the EL, there’s no reason why we can’t go that one step further this year. We’re settled, we’re stronger and I’m very much looking forward to this season’s campaign. I feel we can go far.

What’s everyone else thinking?

3rd round pull a massive club
Get put out
Concentrate everything on the league.

What do we all feel should be our aim for the EL this year?

I’m hoping just to get qualified first then I’d be looking at trying to get into the knockout stages from the group. If you put our current squad in our group from last year I seriously think we’d progress no bother.

A year on and the squad is really starting to come together and we’ve added strength in depth, something that we previously didn’t have.

Looking back on last year our squad was just formed and look how well we performed in the EL, there’s no reason why we can’t go that one step further this year. We’re settled, we’re stronger and I’m very much looking forward to this season’s campaign. I feel we can go far.

What’s everyone else thinking?

Same as you, for me mate.

League undoubtedly is the priority though.

To be honest for this season I’m not bothered about the group stages it’s all about 55 and getting a shot at the CL next season , would be more than happy to win all games up to Q4 then go out to a bigger team so gaining co-efficient points and cash on the way but then out of it and full focus on the league

Qualifying for the group stages again would be a success. That will be difficult enough never mind anything else.

As for those who aren't bothered about us qualifying the main driver behind success if having the necessary finances. We need as much as we can get so the Europa would be a great boost again.

Do what Man City couldn't do .The quadruple would do me no less is acceptable.
On a serious note ,group stages then a kind draw , 55 the priority and the two cups would be nice

I know it brings in some much needed revenue in to the club but honestly as long as we don't get humiliated i don't care.

The league has to be the main focus, anything more than that is an added bonus.

If we didn't have the group stages last year i reckon we would have won the league so it was bittersweet.

As some of stated, depends on the draw. We draw a Roma or an Eintracht Frankfurt in the last two qualifying rounds then we are very much up against it.

If we make the group stages I think that'll be a very successful european campaign for us.

To be honest for this season I’m not bothered about the group stages it’s all about 55 and getting a shot at the CL next season , would be more than happy to win all games up to Q4 then go out to a bigger team so gaining co-efficient points and cash on the way but then out of it and full focus on the league
You only get 2.5 points for going out in QR4 so it doesn't help us that much. Would still mean that we would be unseeded from QR3 onwards in Europa League and QR2 onwards in the CL.

So much will depend on the opponents we draw
I'm not just thinking of big names - but also the un-fancied - yet decent standard of those in the more obscure & far flung corners of 'extended' europe

I'm dreading what effect -tough, strength sapping matches played in locations with extended travelling times - will have on our league form - because much as I love us playing european matches - & the dosh, prestige & exposure it brings us - it will all pale into insignificance when we lift 55

It’s great for cash but it can’t get in the way of 55.

My view entirely. Get to the group stage (ie bring in a few more million) and then rotate the squad to allow the first picks to be focused on the league campaign. We're not going to win the Europa League, so we should be measured in our approach there. However, we sure as hell can win the SPFL and it would be silly to try to fight a war on two fronts. We're not that good. Yet.

its hard to say as we dont know who were gonna get in further rounds but we defo need to get to group stage. its vital for us financially

Expect us to reach QR3.

A favourable draw against a beatable seeded team gives us a decent chance of qualification.

We'll compete and not let ourselves down. Looking forward to it.

Q3 for me. Get out and focus on the league.
Very short sighted imo , we are building a squad capable of coping with Europe and the league , like any other big team. We could also do with the cash and can’t beat European nights at Ibrox.

Group stages , will be tough but achievable with a bit of luck. Love the buzz of us being in the draw and finding out where we are going.

Rangers is a club that should be in European football every year. If we're not in group stages it will be a huge disappointment
Would it necessarily be a huge disappointment? It's not as easy to qualify with our coefficient and how many rounds we have to go through. This is just how it is at the moment.

I wouldn't see it as a disappointment if we faced a hard side and went out in qualifying. A Roma or similar for example.

A few people underestimating the fact that the likes of Roma and Frankfurt will equally not want to draw Rangers.

Early into their pre-season they’ll see that as an extremely tough tie given the other possibilities.

Would it necessarily be a huge disappointment? It's not as easy to qualify with our coefficient and how many rounds we have to go through. This is just how it is at the moment.

I wouldn't see it as a disappointment if we faced a hard side and went out in qualifying. A Roma or similar for example.

Basically. If we forget who we'll play against in qualification, it should be always a disappointment if a club size of the Rangers don't qualify for Europe.

Agree with those who say it can't get in the way of 55 but we should be aiming to be in group stages every year minimum with staying in after Christmas a bonus ever few years (plus winning domestic treble...I don't have high expectations :)))

A few people underestimating the fact that the likes of Roma and Frankfurt will equally not want to draw Rangers.

Early into their pre-season they’ll see that as an extremely tough tie given the other possibilities.
True but they will still be huge favourites.

Think we will come through the first 2 rounds then it will be determined by the 3rd round draw. In some respects a highly ranked team will be better as the final round is drawn before the 3rd is completed

It’s all about the luck of the draw and that’s what makes it exciting, through everything in the past several years to the buzz of last year and qualifying to the group stages and competing was giving the fans the buzz of European football which we had all missed for years, roll on the next month!!

Depends on the draw.......

Expecting us to draw a difficult tie in the qualifiers and struggle.

That said.....Having seen the quality last season we could qualify from the group stages and even a round after that if we were flukey in the draw......

It would be a huge disappointment.

The only way we’re gojng to get less rounds and better seedings in the future is by winning as much as possible in Europe.

Getting to the group stage would do fine for me.

If we could knock out a Roma/Wolves on the way there all the better....expectations would go through the roof if that were to occur though and we’d have lads expecting us to win it.

Can someone pass me the tin hat..

I would be a little surprised if we qualified this year. We rode our luck a bit last year both in terms of the draw and in the games themselves (particularly the away qualifiers).

Let’s hope we do of course. It brings a heck of a lot of money in.

Although to be honest - domestic form is the top priority for me. A cup win and a proper title battle is the big thing this season. I do feel that the EL would impact that sadly (at least up until Xmas).

One round at a time, one game at a rocking Ibrox at a time...lets see who we get and when we get them. Some massive names to avoid but nobody will want to play us.
My aspirations IF we get the seeding like we did from Maribor then it will by group stages minimum, should we draw Wolves or Roma then of course expectations diminish a bit

Can someone pass me the tin hat..

I would be a little surprised if we qualified this year. We rode our luck a bit last year both in terms of the draw and in the games themselves (particularly the away qualifiers).

Let’s hope we do of course. It brings a heck of a lot of money in.

Although to be honest - domestic form is the top priority for me. A cup win and a proper title battle is the big thing this season. I do feel that the EL would impact that sadly (at least up until Xmas).

What I am trying to say here, simply, is that I’d rather we focused on Europe once we have secured the 55 and ideally stopped their Tainted Ten*

Hope for a good go at the groups like last season.
Expect to reach QR3 as a bare minimum, given the sides we can draw thereafter I feel expecting to go further is unfair.

I thought we did very well last season but it was fraught v Osijek and we could have been 3 down at ht, home to Maribor The draw is very important, we might not get past round 3

Back