Expected fee to sign Sima?

We really need to be getting him if it’s possible

Adds goals from a wide position which we’ve struggled for and it’s been proven over the course we need more than one regular scorer across the 3 to get near the title.

on what 15-16 and been injured for months?

Scores big goals too

They wont get that atm. Far safer for them we shop window him with another loan or we give them a percentage of what we sell him for in the future and or a buy back clause.

The problem with what you're suggesting is that it involves Brighton accepting several concessions entirely for our benefit.

They don't need to make any at all.

I think from all accounts sima wants to be here next season and with 1 year left on the deal Brighton get half of what they paid for him back say around £4m.

Plus although they paid £7m or £8m that would have included add ons that won’t have been met

To people who think Brighton will let him go cheap, don't you think if that's the case a host of other clubs would be interested?
If your response is "why would he go to Everton or Fulham?" don't bother.
Personally I think we could shed as many as 10 of our current squad in the summer and we will look a lot more streamlined next season.
But although I would like Sima, I don't think a player on PL wages will be coming to Rangers permanently unless he is on the way down as we've seen to our cost in the recent past.

The player will really need to push for the move to us for it to happen, it would not surprise me if an English championship team offers £10-12m because he is quality player.

He is out of contract in a year and seems to want a move to us so it is possible but it will be at the top end of our budget with a lot of add ons
I think there’s the element of what Sima would want. Success and guaranteed European football to showcase himself or wet Wednesday mid table fights at Wolves or Blackburn. If he doesn’t like the options, he can just sit on his arse for 6 months and then take his pick. No one bigger/better than Rangers is coming knocking at this stage.

To people who think Brighton will let him go cheap, don't you think if that's the case a host of other clubs would be interested?
Personally I think we could shed as many as 10 of our current squad in the summer and we will look a lot more streamlined next season.
But although I would like Sima, I don't think a player on PL wages will be coming to Rangers permanently unless he is on the way down as we've seen to our cost in the recent past.
I am sure I seen somewhere that we are paying all his wages and it’s around £17k a week. So we could easily double his wages and still be within our wage structure given departures etc

Fair enough if they just paid a straight €8m. Unusual in the modern transfer market but still with 1 year left on the deal and the player wanting to leave to get 50% of that back seems a fair deal for all parties
I don't think there are any confirmation he wants to leave. Also he can't force them to take less money

I don’t think they’ll see him making it into their first team, but given his performances for us they might be confident of getting more money for him elsewhere.

7-9m I would imagine would get the deal done - depending on structure / add ons etc.

his output from wide cant be denied - he's avg. a goal every 2nd game which is more like the numbers we need from a wide man - not 1/2/3 goals a season - that's CB coming up from corners numbers.

I don't think there are any confirmation he wants to leave. Also he can't force them to take less money
He hasn’t made an appearance for Brighton and his agent a few months ago confirmed he wants to stay. All the noises we have heard indicate he would rather be at rangers than Brighton.

Its the polar opposite of what we had with Tillman

I’m not a Silva fan at all. Doesn’t score enough, get into good scoring positions often enough or create enough.
4 goals for us so far and I would go as far as say he hasn’t been anywhere near worth what we have spent on the loan never mind looking at a significant outlay in bringing him in on a permanent deal.

As @SDF posted earlier, if he was our player, even in the last year of his contract, and someone offered £4m this summer, we'd be absolutely raging at the disrepect being shown.

I hope the fee ends up being something like that, but I wouldn't be at all shocked if Brighton are looking for over £10m for him. Just turning 23 in the summer, had a very impactful season, has all the physical attributes that are valued so highly in the game today, and about to break into a strong international team - the fact he only has a year left on his deal won't be much of a factor against all that.

The number of teams able to spend more on transfers and wages than we can grows every season, and I expect some competition for Sima. We'd need the player to dig his heels in and Brighton to do us some favours to make this easily affordable.

As an aside, and I know it's unlikely at this price, but if we could find a way to afford it, I'd be fine with the club spending £10m on him.

We can't spend £8 million or whatever the fee is to continue to play him out of position.

If we spend that money then he plays in his natural position.

I believe he can be a 25 plus a season player playing more central.

As @SDF posted earlier, if he was our player, even in the last year of his contract, and someone offered £4m this summer, we'd be absolutely raging at the disrepect being shown.

I hope the fee ends up being something like that, but I wouldn't be at all shocked if Brighton are looking for over £10m for him. Just turning 23 in the summer, had a very impactful season, has all the physical attributes that are valued so highly in the game today, and about to break into a strong international team - the fact he only has a year left on his deal won't be much of a factor against all that.

The number of teams able to spend more on transfers and wages than we can grows every season, and I expect some competition for Sima. We'd need the player to dig his heels in and Brighton to do us some favours to make this easily affordable.

As an aside, and I know it's unlikely at this price, but if we could find a way to afford it, I'd be fine with the club spending £10m on him.

Regards the last year of his deal. Brighton have a year's option to extend to 2026. They'll activate it for sure.

We can't spend £8 million or whatever the fee is to continue to play him out of position.

He was on course for that playing from the left. He's played wide for nearly his entire career.

Isn’t his natural position exactly where we are playing him?

Regardless, he is doing bloody brilliantly where he is, would be madness to move him

He is, in my opinion, a far superior player to Silva. Maybe not technically, but I would pick Sima 10 times out of 10 for my team.

Regardless, he is doing bloody brilliantly where he is, would be madness to move him
That was my thoughts aswell? Not sure he would be as effective as a CF as I’m not to sure he has a good enough touch to play with his back to goal which is a massive part of a CFs game.

The idea of players having a "natural position" in the attacking sense is starting to become an old-school way of thinking these days, I reckon. The difference in one player playing wide left compared to another due to tactical instructions can be huge.

Sima can play either wing or through the middle without any real impact on his game. I have a feeling he'll end up on the right hand side more often for the rest of this season.

£8 million and not a single appearance for them.
Id expect them to try and squeeze us as hard as they can despite this.The club should do all it can to sign him.He adds a lot to the team imo.If we have any European ambition never mind the league we need to keep players like Sima to build a team around them.

I never really understand why the stature of the EPL club factors into these discussions.

When an player wins a move to the EPL club from us or them, it's almost always that stature.

It's been like that for twenty years. The amounts involved hace changed. Biggest difference is that we can't compete with these smaller clubs on transfer fees at all anymore.

I don’t think they’ll see him making it into their first team, but given his performances for us they might be confident of getting more money for him elsewhere.
And if he doesn't want to go elsewhere he doesn't have to. It's not about Brighton, it's about Sima. Can't force him somewhere he doesn't want to go

I never really understand why the stature of the EPL club factors into these discussions.

When an player wins a move to the EPL club from us or them, it's almost always that stature.

It's been like that for twenty years. The amounts involved hace changed. Biggest difference is that we can't compete with these smaller clubs on transfer fees at all anymore.
I'm not sure I'm understanding your point.

The EPL is the biggest league in the world.

It's where players from all parts of the globe want to play.

Surely?

I'm not sure I'm understanding your point.

The EPL is the biggest league in the world.

It's where players from all parts of the globe want to play.

Surely?
I was agreeing with you mate.

I'm saying I don't understand why our fans still think the stature of club that comes in matters to any of our players.

I can see us stretching to offer Brighton their money back.

If they’re resolute they want £10m+ however, fine - it’s too rich for us so we’ll walk away.

Most have the impression that the player is enjoying his time at the club and if there was an opportunity to make it permanent he’d be happy to do so, but we probably shouldn’t overlook the possibility that someone like Leicester or Leeds could come up and easily shell out what Brighton were after and I don’t think many would be shocked if Sima was equally as happy to join either of those clubs and play Premiership football next season.

We can only do what we can however. Here’s hoping that’s enough.

I was agreeing with you mate.

I'm saying I don't understand why our fans still think the stature of club that comes in matters to any of our players.
It must be down to semantics.
The stature of a club that comes in obviously
does matter.
What don't you understand?

Edit.

I think I've got you.

The fact that eg Notts Forest or Fulham are much smaller clubs than Rangers is immaterial compared to the wages they can pay and the transfer fees they can afford.

Got ya and I agree

Last edited:
There's nothing official but the usual uninformed, clickbait internet type sources have speculated £10m, or possibly even having to match our highest ever transfer fee (£12m).

Hopefully a deal can be done for much less.
I can't see any way that we shell out that amount on one player. We have too many weak areas we need players for. We couldn't afford to do it all.

If Brighton have an option to extend his deal by a season then it is probably very unlikely we will get him.

I don’t see why they would let a player with his attributes go for less than £10m if he has two years on his deal.

He would maybe need to go somewhere next season and not do that well to bring him back into our price range.

Butland will probably be sold to fund Sima, Diomande and one other.

Would love to keep Jack but there is no way we are knocking back a big fee in the summer for a player we signed on a free transfer.

That's a totally fair and sensible point, so you would assume that will in turn then be applicable of players like Dessers, Danilo and Lammers who's fee we will still be having to backpay?

We are going to need a massive sale this summer in order to fund changes to the squad

The wages dropping off aren't going to be close to the extent of last summer and at the moment, without a Butland sale it is a struggle to see where we make the money to fund fees to the extent we did last summer more so with money already committed to fees
If we get decent money for Butland and most of the Lammers money back then that would be a step in the right direction.

Are we getting any money for Borna if/when he goes?

10 million would be a ridiculous fee to spend on him, very low chance we ever get a fee close to that back, we just don't have the means to spend that on one player these days given we are constantly having to do work on the rest of our squad

10 million would be a ridiculous fee to spend on him, very low chance we ever get a fee close to that back, we just don't have the means to spend that on one player these days given we are constantly having to do work on the rest of our squad
£10m probably would be to rich for us but I don’t think it will cost as much as that.

Back