Fabio Cardoso

I thought this as well,and discussed it with Mearns Unionist who posts on here a lot of good stuff.He rightly pointed out that McCrorie had actually played the role before while out on loan,whereas Cardoso had not.

I still think it would maybe be worth a shot though,in young McCrorie's absence given there's no-one else similar available to us until season end it would seem.

Yes, young McCrorie looked very comfortable in the midfield slot from the off.
But without looking back through Cardoso's career, I wouldn't be sure if he had experience further forward or not, other than to say he looks incredibly comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Bearing in mind Wattie himself threw centre-backs into midfield, some who didn't always look like technically gifted footballers, yet in certain matches with great success, I wouldn't be too reluctant to see Murty give Cardoso an outing in this position.
If successful, it is a weapon to be used in particular matches where the midfield needs a bit of physical height and presence, even if there is no need for it in every game.

Overall, I like most of what I have seen of Cardoso, and I believe there is a very good capable footballer there.

Reactions: cav
I think cardoso and I think of him and Alves being bullied by Motherwell in the semi final and have no inclination to have either of them in our team

So harsh mate - there's a difference between getting bullied & getting assaulted. Ref does his job that game and it doesn't happen.

Cardoso is one of the worst defenders I've ever seen at Rangers when it comes to one on ones

Cardoso is one of the worst defenders I've ever seen at Rangers when it comes to one on ones
I suppose it would depend on how many Rangers defenders you have actually seen?
Doug Baillie was never that hot, worse than Doug?

Whilst i would like to see him get a chance at the appropriate time, i think he has deservedly slid down the pecking order. Looked very vulnerable against physical strikers and seemed to hate people running at him.

He is young so maybe when he gets his chance he will have settled and improved but im not hugely hopeful

I think over the past few games Bates distribution has been getting better. Don' think he has done much wrong since he came into the team and would be harsh to drop him

I think over the past few games Bates distribution has been getting better. Don' think he has done much wrong since he came into the team and would be harsh to drop him
No defensively he is surprisingly very good, given his awkwardness as a player, and you are right, he is becoming ever smarter with his use of the ball, and certainly learning to live within his own technical limitations, even as he becomes ever more confident in stretching them match by match.
Just everything you would want in such a young inexperienced player learning the game.

I would have him alongside Alves.
Maybe with Cardoso in front of them playing McCrorie's position, with Goss allowed to make the play.

Last edited:

What if the rumours are true about him knocking back a contract extension? For me that's a droppable offence & he should be fed to the swans ASAP if true.

Bates and cardoso, I'm not over the moon bout this but they can develop and will have a sell on value. Get jj to pick up a couple of defenders next time he is scouting

Why is it a droppable offence ?

He's out of contract in the summer mate. If he wants away then fine, but we shouldn't be developing him for someone else when he isn't exactly a stand out performer for us at present anyway. Better playing and developing someone that wants to be here next season.

No one with their head screwed on knocks back Rangers.

Would like to see him get another opportunity before he’s written off or moved on at the end of the season.

He's out of contract in the summer mate. If he wants away then fine, but we shouldn't be developing him for someone else when he isn't exactly a stand out performer for us at present anyway. Better playing and developing someone that wants to be here next season.

No one with their head screwed on knocks back Rangers.

And if he feels the club is lowballing him what's he meant to do ? Just sign anyway for a wage he feels is beneath him ?

What if the rumours are true about him knocking back a contract extension? For me that's a droppable offence & he should be fed to the swans ASAP if true.
I think he is negotiating for a better deal than the first one he was offered.
I would expect him to do this.
I think we have to accept this is how the game is today.
He thinks he is worth much more, Rangers think he is worth a bit less, and hopefully, they will meet in the middle.
I certainly hope this anyway, as I rate young Bates.

And if he feels the club is lowballing him what's he meant to do ? Just sign anyway for a wage he feels is beneath him ?

I fully agree.

Would it be encouraging if Bates never had the confidence in himself to ask for what he thinks he is worth, or what he thinks one day he will be worth to Rangers, such as he envisages himself developing into as a player?

Would we want a player with low esteem and no ambition?
I hope inside David Bates there beats the heart of a man who wants one day to be a modern Beckenbauer.

I will settle for a modern-day Tam Forsyth. :D

Why would the club "lowball" a player they valued & wanted to keep? It doesn't make sense and I doubt we did that with the likes of Tav or Windass. We offer what we think they are worth and if he doesn't take it then fine, he can go. But IMO it doesn't make sense to keep persevering with players that don't have a long term future here in favour of the ones that do.

I think Bates has to show a lot more if he even wants to entertain the idea of becoming a big earner at Rangers, & the way to do that would have been getting his head down and putting in performances. Instead it appears that he's using offers from the likes of Sunderland to try and squeeze more money out of us.. if you are willing to give up Rangers for more money at a team like Sunderland then you don't belong here in the first place I'm afraid.

Looked like his mind was already at Sunderland in the Hamilton game tbh. Would have him out the team ASAP.

He should be given a chance if somebody in front of him isn't performing then is up to him to play well and nail that position down how any good squad works. For what it's with Martin and Bates should be dropped after Hamilton no rangers centre halfs should be conceding 3 goals against a team like Hamilton only my opinion but murty doesn't strike me as someone that's going to be ruthless no matter what position it is

Why would the club "lowball" a player they valued & wanted to keep? It doesn't make sense and I doubt we did that with the likes of Tav or Windass.

Without being disrespectful to Bates, he's not Windass or Tav in the grand scheme of things. But...

Waghorn knocked back one last year. I'm pretty sure Tav held off for months as well in order to get what he felt he was worth.

Players don't take the first offer mate. Nor should they.

Without being disrespectful to Bates, he's not Windass or Tav in the grand scheme of things. But...

Waghorn knocked back one last year. I'm pretty sure Tav held off for months as well in order to get what he felt he was worth.

Players don't take the first offer mate. Nor should they.

Bates just hasn't done enough for me to justify the types of figures being thrown around tbh & I actually quite like the kid. Obviously I don't know the actual details of what happened, but if the rumoured figures I've heard are true then he'd be off for me sadly.

I like Cardoso and I would like to see him succeed.I think he has potential and if he could be a bit more dominant in the air,that would be a good start.
As or Russell Martin I wouldn't write him off yet,he has not had a lot of game time yet but he has played at a good level in England for years

I think he is negotiating for a better deal than the first one he was offered.
I would expect him to do this.
I think we have to accept this is how the game is today.
He thinks he is worth much more, Rangers think he is worth a bit less, and hopefully, they will meet in the middle.
I certainly hope this anyway, as I rate young Bates.
This is what is wrong with football.Players forget that the club are the employers and they are employees.If i told my boss what i thought i was worth i would be told to f*ck off and pick up my p45

Bates just hasn't done enough for me to justify the types of figures being thrown around tbh & I actually quite like the kid. Obviously I don't know the actual details of what happened, but if the rumoured figures I've heard are true then he'd be off for me sadly.

Can't quite reconcile your name and avatar with your opinion of Bates.
Hmmmm.

Agree completely. Don’t know why he’s dropped out so far.

If we needed to try to play a more solid player in midfield (against Celtic for instance), i’d think he is the one with the most natural skill set to do it. However he’s been so far out the picture that it would seem too dangerous to try.

In all honesty, given the stage of the season, we should be taking as few risks as posssible so i’d hope we just go for a settled back 4.

Martin has been very poor since arriving but will continue to play which I find harsh on Cardoso. He has looked decent with a couple of mistakes which is to be expected from a young defender. I for one would like him in there ahead of Martin and and along side Bates or Alves.

This is what is wrong with football.Players forget that the club are the employers and they are employees.If i told my boss what i thought i was worth i would be told to f*ck off and pick up my p45
I am sure this might be the case for you.
I don't know what you do, or how good you are at doing it.
But it is unrealistic to make this as a measure for footballers, and I suspect you must know that.

The whole argument about whether footballers are worth today's money or if they are overpaid, etc etc, is really a non-sequitur when considering young Bates who has been given promotion after promotion in recent months and surely must be asking for remuneration to reflect this.

I would want a raise after being given a promotion and an award of more responsibility, and so would you!

i felt he struggled in his last few league and league cup starts before being dropped. In my opinion teams were targeting him and he wasn’t coping well with big strikers players pinning and backing into him.

Firstly, I don’t think he should be written off at his age based on that. Also, both of our current centre backs struggle in this area as well and Cardoso has other attributes that they don’t. So I find it bizarre that he hasn’t featured more now that he’s still here after January.

I assumed when he was so far out picture he was leaving as that was only explanation for him being nowhere near team.

Bates is a good, steady, backs to the wall defender. All round is he better than Cardoso??

I'd have cardoso over Alves but maybe that's just me. To be honest I wouldn't change it just.now though.

Alves just hasn't done it for me sorry. Bates however I like. Old school as fck.

But again I would change it just now.
got to agree with bates he is old school if in doubt kick it out

As much as I'd be happy for Cardoso to get another chance, I really don't get the clamour for him to get back in the team.

The player I've seen has been, honestly, pretty weak in the challenge and poor in the air. He might be a good footballer but this doesn't mean he's a better defender.

Big Bates might not be the best on the ball but his role is first and foremost is to defend, he's pretty solid in that aspect. He can't pass the ball but his positioning is excellent and wins most 50/50 balls, and only has room for improvement.

Bates has certainly shown to be the better option in Scottish football. Feel if he was a foreigner and not some guy we signed from Raith he'd be afforded a lot more patience.

As much as I'd be happy for Cardoso to get another chance, I really don't get the clamour for him to get back in the team.

The player I've seen has been, honestly, pretty weak in the challenge and poor in the air. He might be a good footballer but this doesn't mean he's a better defender.

Big Bates might not be the best on the ball but his role is first and foremost is to defend, he's pretty solid in that aspect. He can't pass the ball but his positioning is excellent and wins most 50/50 balls, and only has room for improvement.
Agreed.
But there might still be a place in a good Rangers team for both.
Bates in defence, with Cardoso in a midfield holding position.

At least an interesting prospect.

Murty will not play him end of story.

Personally I would rather him and Alves as the centre backs as I think we looked a lot more solid when they were playing but Murty clearly thinks different.

Bates is a decent defender but treats the ball like a hot potato and Martin has been average.

I like Cardoso. I also think he has been unlucky with his injury as it lost him his place in the starting eleven. Then the manager change cemented this.

However, I've been very impressed with Bates. Less so Martin.
Now that we have a squad where players fight for the jersey I think Martin has lost his.
I'd prefer Alves to step in, but if he's not fit I'd give Cardoso a game.

Based on performances I'd opt for a pairing of Alves and Bates. But welcome form and training being a deciding factor.

Also, I think Martin is valuable on the bench as he covers both full back and centre half.

Back