Fashion Sakala.

I feel that Sakala has some qualities that are beneficial to the team.

The qualities are electric pace (first and foremost), movement, work-rate, and a positive / "never give up" mentality.

While he does not always go for placement, I do feel he strikes the ball well.

Granted, he has missed some clear-cut chances against our key rival, which must have been very dissapointing for him (as well everyone else).

As a fan, I'm open to him remaining a Rangers player.

I guess we will have to see what the management team think though. There will be a lot of ins-and-outs over the summer in my opinion.

Last edited:
If he can be taught some level of composure he has a lot to offer.

The problem is I don't think he's capable of improving it and I don't see Bealbe being able to get him to the level we require.

I think if we can get a good price for him we take it. Considering we didn't pay anything for him, it'll be profit regardless for reinvesting.

I just can’t stomach the judging of a player solely on ‘numbers’. He’s possibly one of the worst players I’ve ever seen play for us. Little / no technical ability yet some still maintain he should be in our starting 11. Bizarre.

I struggle to get my head around the idea that someone involved in our recruitment process has watched him, then identified him as an option let alone continue to include him in a starting 11. Surely anyone with a knowledge of football can / should see how poor he is in terms of footballing ability? Hopefully he will move on but can’t see him agreeing to it.

Hes not poor in terms of ability.

He has ridiculous pace, he can dribble at pace, he gets into good positions in the box, he can generate a lot of power in shots, he has a great leap and is deceivingly good in the air.

The problem is he has no football brain to speak of. Seems incapable of following tactical instructions and doesn't read a team mate well at all, and his decision making is awful.

If he could marry the first part the technical ability to the second part of football brain he would be a quality player. Its obviously we thought we could improve his "brain", but its not happened.

It's complete nonsense to say he has no technical ability - his goal against Dundee Utd alone proves that, he's had several others as well where she's shown a level of ability.

He has absolutely zero composure though which is ultimately why he just lashes at things more often than not.

If we can do that, great.

Considering we don’t have really have anyone else in our front line who registers numbers like him, I think he’s the least of our worries just now.

He’s very effective domestically. If a decent bid comes in, great. If not, I wouldn’t be chasing him out the door.
Who exactly should we worry about then?

I mean, the captain is the least of our worries as is Smiley miley.
I didn’t.

They aren’t really relevant to my point though, in that whilst we have a front line that don’t really score or create, it would be daft to chase someone who does that domestically.

He was also our best player v Celtic in January.
You've missed out them pesky misses in February and April though.

It's complete nonsense to say he has no technical ability - his goal against Dundee Utd alone proves that, he's had several others as well where she's shown a level of ability.

He has absolutely zero composure though which is ultimately why he just lashes at things more often than not.
Stevie Wonder could throw darts all day and I'm sure he'd get a double eventually..

Hes not poor in terms of ability.

He has ridiculous pace, he can dribble at pace, he gets into good positions in the box, he can generate a lot of power in shots, he has a great leap and is deceivingly good in the air.

The problem is he has no football brain to speak of. Seems incapable of following tactical instructions and doesn't read a team mate well at all, and his decision making is awful.

If he could marry the first part the technical ability to the second part of football brain he would be a quality player. It’s obviously we thought we could improve his "brain", but its not happened
Fair enough. Though I’m not sure most of the attributes you’ve stated actually fall into the category of technical footballing ability. Or at least, certainly not what I meant when I used the term.

Call it what you will. I don’t think he’s very good and I don’t enjoy watching him.

I'm not saying Sakala is a better player than Kent, but what do you think Kent offers us than Sakala doesn't, specifically the last 12-18 months?

No I don't think Colak is good enough to be our main striker. Nor do I think Sakala is good enough to be a regular starter.
Kent is under far more control as a player. He links up play far better. He’s a much smarter football player. His ability to cross a ball compared to sakala’s full power smash across the box that’s supposed to be a cross.

Kent is under far more control as a player. He links up play far better. He’s a much smarter football player. His ability to cross a ball compared to sakala’s full power smash across the box that’s supposed to be a cross.
Kent - who hasn't bothered his arse this season, that guy?

Sakala isn’t the long term answer, however he does cause problems for Celtic more than others as he gets in positions. If he played a full season in his position he’d score 12-15 goals a season. Ryan Kent, a far, far better player won’t get to 5.

Is 20 goals and 15 assists in 87 appearances for us now.

I think we could replace that tbh.
The fact he has 87 appearances for us in 2 seasons speaks volumes of how bad our recruitment has been. He wouldn’t even have made our reserves 30 years ago.

The fact he has 87 appearances for us in 2 seasons speaks volumes of how bad our recruitment has been.
A little lazy in terms of actual contribution. When hes been played in the correct position and the Team itself havent tossed games with stupidity, hes done well. Sometimes very well.
There are people on this forum who would rather keep Sakala over Colak.
Id keep them both and play them together. This season some of the best attacking performances Rangers have mustered came with these two in the XI. They compliment each other with Sakala covering Colak's lack of pace, he can run in behind and stretch the opponent back line. Colak with his neat & tidy touches helps whatever 'technical' deficiencies Sakala sometimes shows.

Its a real shame injuries and such have prevented us seeing these two as a partnership because I think there could be something potent and its right on our doorstep.

The equivalent of a goalkeeper who doesn't save 1 on 1's when it really matters.
I like the guy but if we can get a decent fee then definitely sell.

A little lazy in terms of actual contribution. When hes been played in the correct position and the Team itself havent tossed games with stupidity, hes done well. Sometimes very well.

Id keep them both and play them together. This season some of the best attacking performances Rangers have mustered came with these two in the XI. They compliment each other with Sakala covering Colak's lack of pace, he can run in behind and stretch the opponent back line. Colak with his neat & tidy touches helps whatever 'technical' deficiencies Sakala sometimes shows.

Its a real shame injuries and such have prevented us seeing these two as a partnership because I think there could be something potent and its right on our doorstep.
Not all contributions have to be a book to be factually accurate.

However, Sakala’s technical skills are dreadful. Those comparing him to Novo, of which there have been a few on here, do Nacho a great disservice.

If there was a dependable striker who was scoring regularly there wouldn't be half the pressure on Sakala to perform ever week. I don't think he was ever signed as the main man but the failings of those around him have led to unrealistic expectations being dumped onto him which in reality he wasn't and isn't ever likely to fulfil. If Morelos, Roofe and Colak had all chipped in 20 goals each, Sakala would be the impact player off the bench stretching tired defences and playing a part with his fair share of goals. I'm not saying his misses against a local club were acceptable but I think he's being asked to do a job he wasn't signed to do.

I feel that Sakala has some qualities that are beneficial to the team.

The qualities are electric pace (first and foremost), movement, work-rate, and a positive / "never give up" mentality.

While he does not always go for placement, I do feel he strikes the ball well.

Granted, he has missed some clear-cut chances against our key rival, which must have been very dissapointing for him (as well everyone else).
I think we’ve become slightly conditioned to accepting flawed players.

‘He has some qualities that are beneficial to the team’ could be said about almost all of our players, the caveat being that they also have other qualities that are detrimental.

If we want to move the whole thing up a level we need to have a much higher ratio of players whose good far outweighs the bad.

If there was a dependable striker who was scoring regularly there wouldn't be half the pressure on Sakala to perform ever week. I don't think he was ever signed as the main man but the failings of those around him have led to unrealistic expectations being dumped onto him which in reality he wasn't and isn't ever likely to fulfil. If Morelos, Roofe and Colak had all chipped in 20 goals each, Sakala would be the impact player off the bench stretching tired defences and playing a part with his fair share of goals. I'm not saying his misses against a local club were acceptable but I think he's being asked to do a job he wasn't signed to do.
Good point there is some amount of pressure on the 1 man up front to get goals, we dont get from wide or midfield so the striker has to finish. Yeah thats his job but the way we have set up in recent games is quite worrying. Thats why id prefer to play Wright beside him or as someone else said Colak when fit and give them time to form a partnership.

I hope we get this star striker that does everything and im not saying its impossible to find one but it wont surprise me if the next guy is in a similar position to the strikers we have because of the way we play. We need to be more direct in this league and get more men in the penalty box.

Poor Fashion, just goes to show how far we have regressed as a team when he is the main striker, in my lifetime I have seen better and more composed and technically better strikers playing in junior football.

You've just described Morelos' first few years against Celtic in fairness.
Yeah correct, I remember a game pre covid when Windass scored in the first minute and when it was 2-3 Morelos missed an absolute sitter at back post to get a draw in that game

Took his goal well.

All about Cantwell again though. Pressuring them rather than giving them time to pass it about. They were in possession, Cantwell presses, wins the ball and 7 seconds later it's in the net.

Surely we can coach him how to finish properly.

Just give him about 30 balls and put targets in the goal ffs.

An alright squad player to have given the contribution

A complete enigma.

One minute he lashes at everything and boots the ball into row Z.

The next minute he has the composure to round the keeper and slot it away (although at first I thought he'd missed it!).

Definitely worth keeping IMO.

Back