Fed up hearing how good our Academy is

Aye you're right. Let's organise a mob to go down to the training centre tomorrow and demand answers. This place is just brimming with football experts so I'm sure they'll listen.
It’s a wee bit short notice / it’s after 11pm. I’m working tomorrow anyway but could manage week at a push?

For f#cks sake, it's the Academy's fault now, is it..? Our support has some right top drawer, 5 star, roasters..

Don’t think anyone is moaning at it, it’s a fair point.

Even if we didn’t play an academy product in the game yesterday, surely we could have rested Barisic against Hearts at home and played a natural left back from the academy there as opposed to a midfielder in Halliday or a right back in Flanagan, both of whom having barely played?

It’s those sort of games at home against utter shite where you’d expect to see one get a chance.

Well it's not a fair point though, is it? It's a load of nonsense that somehow 20 posters have liked and apparently agree with.

Just play an academy lad against Hearts like it doesn't matter. We're not sitting in our boxers playing Champ Man ffs.

Another season or two and we will reap the benefits of the academy. Still recovering from years of mismanagement and lack of investment. The improvements are very clear for us all to see but these lads are still too green to be thrown in to high pressure games with high stakes at risk.

It’s not a hysterical over reaction to the Aberdeen game that he’s had.

It’s a perfectly valid question to ask.

We have a bloated squad with countless ‘first team’ players sitting in the stand every week.

Could Kieran Wright not be third choice instead of Andy Firth who we plucked from Barrow!

There is countless examples just now. We have Matt Polster as third choice right back when our right back is fit for every minute of every match.

We had high Hope's for McPake and still do but he has been awful for Dundee in the 3 Friday night games I watched, we have to be very careful with these kids.

I'm sure if one looked unbelievable Gerrard would have them in the team.

It seems like Kai Kennedy may have the best chance, I would play him against Stranraer.

I’m sure our manager, who was a product of his heroes youth system himself understands more than most the benefits of giving youth a chance............if they are good enough.

which leads me to think he currently doesn’t think they are. If you don’t mind I’ll trust the opinion of the guys who see these kids all the time rather than the FF armchair managers.

our youths are getting far better and this should in time give us some great players but it simply doesn’t happen overnight.

It’s not a hysterical over reaction to the Aberdeen game that he’s had.

It’s a perfectly valid question to ask.

We have a bloated squad with countless ‘first team’ players sitting in the stand every week.

Could Kieran Wright not be third choice instead of Andy Firth who we plucked from Barrow!

There is countless examples just now. We have Matt Polster as third choice right back when our right back is fit for every minute of every match.

Firth is another good example. Stock piling players blocking the 'pathway'.

As for all the ones saying its an over reaction to a draw, ive thought it for a while but it was seeing Flanagan and Ojo stink the place out the other night that prompted the thread. Fully expected the reaction i got though.

Made debut at 18
Against who, bet you it was when the league was won or a LC tie.

Just checked, last game of season 4-1 win against St Johnstone, nothing like away at Sheep in December.

Johnston also played against us last season and was shown up as fragile and weak in that game.

Last edited:
If a 16 year old right back had played in that game on Wednesday night which resulted in a draw people would be saying he’s not good enough, not a winner etc you genuinely can’t win on this.

Doesnt matter what you are doing, tradesman/footballer/professional you need to knuckle under and get your apprenticeship done. No matter how good you think you are at 17/18, experienced pros will show you up quickly and easily. You escalate that by being showed up infront of 50k at Ibrox, or a few million on BT, and the learning curve gets significantly steeper.
These boys are still mid apprenticeship, leave them out of the spotlight and let them learn the game properly.

Just checked, last game of season 4-1 win against St Johnstone, nothing like away at Sheep in December.

Johnston also played against us last season and was shown up as fragile and weak in that game.

Check our squad v East FIFE

If we played a youngster our bipolar support would have him as a world beater one week and then a waster the next.

Time for youngsters to come in is early rounds of the cup or sub appearances when games are tied up.

Hold the bus buddy. I'm not saying we should be putting them in against anyone. I'm merely stating that we should have boys knocking at the door and should say the likes of a st Johnstone come to Ibrox we could put them in if someone is injured. Also I think that's what the op was saying

Sure am. Stand by it.
Kennedy could have benefited from the minutes Barker has had this season and probably contributed more, now weve got Barker on a 3 year deal who cant make the bench most weeks.
Barjonas could have had the minutes King has had.
Think there is a left back getting rave reviews in the youths but we cant play him one game to replace Borna. Other teams dont seem to hesitate in putting players in. Were far too protective of them.
All over Europe there are 17/18 making an impression in first teams but according to FF we cant do that.
Clearly you are an expert in development of youth players.

Why don't get yourself down to the training ground and give guys like Gerrard, Gary Mac and Beale your thoughts on the subject

I'm sure they will take on board your wealth of knowledge and experience

don’t think age has too much a factor on ability etc, I know levels and all that but if you look at Ajax back line in the CL, 3/4 of them were 20 or younger. Just because your smaller and younger doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be played against older guys. 17 granted is really young, if you are 18,19,20 you should be able to compete at the highest level. But at the same time we need to give these guys time, to develop and grow. Most of the mentally challengeds wanted christie punted whilst he was out at aberdeen, christ when he came to Ibrox a couple of years ago mcrorie absolutely dominated him, would that be the case now? No chance. He’s probably one of the only mentally challenged players id take from them. Patience is key here.

Clearly you are an expert in development of youth players.

Why don't get yourself down to the training ground and give guys like Gerrard, Gary Mac and Beale your thoughts on the subject

I'm sure they will take on board your wealth of knowledge and experience

Might do that, good shout.

Weve not just got it back. Its been overhauled since Warburton was in yet weve still not got one player that can make the bench.
We do, but most are out on loan as getting regular games is far more important than sitting watching the first-team from the sidelines

Look at the mhanks across the city, throw Jeremy Clingon in and has been a standout at 18 years old (against the lambs if I am not mistaken) so this BS that we cannot play an 18 year old LB at Shittodrie or anywhere else just does not wash with me

Back