FIFA 18 vs PES 2018

CupidStunt

Nearly time.

I'll be honest - I spend a few weeks playing Career Mode winning the league with Rangers than it's pretty much 12 straight months of Pro Clubs.

I can't justify even investing time into learning how UT works as I know it's just a monster revenue generator for them.

Hopefully some decent dev has went into clubs this year but from looking at videos around it looks pretty much the same.

PES has been gradually getting better these last few releases but still doesnt have that pick up and play fluidity it had on the PS2/Xbox

I was playing PES5 on an old modded xbox the other week - absolutely fantastic game. Strange to think how playing FIFA was reason enough to be mockingly branded a woofter back pre-2008 and now it's just a great game.

Even now, it's difficult to see how even if PES gets that pick up and playability back, can compete with EA.

It's a fascinating era for football sims for sure.

I've not really enjoyed a FIFA game since 13' .

That's around when they changed the defensive system. I get they want it to be as realistic as possible but they've sacrificed the game being as enjoyable.

I always enjoy a career mode on FIFA more than any other format of the game.

Since they have introduced Pro Clubs and Ultimate Team it has went downhill and the computer is far too easy to beat.

I've not really enjoyed a FIFA game since 13' .

That's around when they changed the defensive system. I get they want it to be as realistic as possible but they've sacrificed the game being as enjoyable.

Aye, I'm still dreadful at tactical defending. :)

PES has been absolute gash for years, all started when they moved on to next-gen consoles i.e. PS3 onward. Nonetheless, absolutely buzzin' to play the new FIFA.

This'll be the first in a long time that I'll be buying a 'fresh' football game - I usually pick them up a few years later when they're under £5. Genuinely don't know which to go for as I haven't really enjoyed the last few FIFA games. How does the PES career mode compare to FIFA's, as that's where I spend 90%+ of my time?

Barring a few tiny "tweaks" I'm sure Fifa 18 will be completely identical to Fifa 17 which I was not a fan of.

Have been really impressed with the PES demo this year and think if I'm going to buy any it will be Konami getting my £'s

On FIFA 17 just now in the 2020 season with Rangers.

First season, the scum ran away with the league.
Second, they won because I lost to Aberdeen on the last day of the season
3rd, I finally won the league with 3 games to go
4th, went on a mental summer signing spree and spent £11m on players. Signed Bradford Jamieson IV from LA Galaxy and he's banged in 39 goals for me this season. Haven't lost to the scum in over 2 years on it and reached the last 16 in Europe 3 years running.

I'm originally a PES man back from ISS days and was PES loyal up until 2007. PES6 was superb, but it went massively downhill after then for me and I'm sure many others.

I ended up going to the dark side, and FIFA (although 2008 wasn't great) was still better than Konami's offerings.

I've chopped and changed and even bought both some years, but FIFA has remained the better experience overall, that is until these last couple of years where Konami have been catching up pretty rapidly whilst EA are only making minor adjustments.

With FIFA, it certainly has near all the licensing, glitz and glamour, but to me the core gameplay just doesn't feel as fun to play. I still play FIFA17, but it often feels like a chore after 2-3 matches.

PES to me feels a lot more enjoyable. I've not played FIFA18 yet to compare, but am certainly liking the PES demo so far. I'll play both for a few weeks solid before making my decision.

I've heard mixed views on FIFA18 so far from mates who were playing the beta, but will wait and find out for myself.

PES is unfortunately always fighting a losing battle here though, as most will opt for FIFA regardless of how good PES may be. Many won't even download the demo, or "ach all my mates are getting FIFA" , or use the "Man Red vs Merseyside Blue" non licensed banter to give it a negative slant. Day 1 option files sort this quite easily, but never mind.

The main downfall for me with PES though is nothing to do with licensing, but rather the online play which has failed to be playable since 2007. Major input lag, invisible players, players with fixed subbuteo legs....I've seen it all.

Recent versions have improved but it's some way off.

I missed out on the beta so not sure about this year though tbh.

Might end up with PES for offline, FIFA for online again.

FUT is actually very good when you understand how it works. You can also build a good squad without spending any cash if you are decent at the game

I've not actually played PES in quite a while but have pre-ordered the new one. I've got FIFA most years though. I enjoyed last years but I am sure this one will be nothing more than a little upgrade - will wait until it comes down in price and get it then. Only got PES because I got it at a low price through CD Keys. I do have the feeling that FIFA18 will be better though.

How easy is it to get these "option files" into PES games on PS4 ? Technology starting to pass me by !!

I've never spent a penny on UT and never will yet still manage to spank people who've spent a fortune to get Messi and the likes.
Sick of always doing an EPL based team though.

Fifa is streets ahead, much the same as BF is steeets ahead of COD

Sad really considering at one time PES and COD were most people's go to games out of the franchises mentioned

How easy is it to get these "option files" into PES games on PS4 ? Technology starting to pass me by !!

Very easy mate....this is written out in a fair amount of detail, but if I can do it, it must be simple enough :D
  1. Format a USB drive to FAT32
  2. Create a folder on the USB called WEPES
  3. Find yourself the desired option files with a spot of internet sleuthing - popular ones include the option files from PES World or this one linked by YouTuber Mad Gamer BD
  4. If they come in the form of a zipped folder, unzip that folder into your WEPES folder on the USB. If not, simply make sure all contents of the download are in the WEPES folder either way.
  5. Plug the USB drive into your PS4 or PC and open up the PES 2017 menu.
  6. Head to the Edit option, then Data Management, then Import/Export.
  7. Then, select Import Team, tick all of the boxes on the following, 'Select File' page, and on the 'Detailed Settings' page after that, leave both boxes unticked.
  8. The files will then automatically be added, taking a few minutes to process.
  9. Be sure to select the 'Save' option on the 'Data Management' page which pops up at the end of the process, and you're all set for most of the details.
  10. The tournament logos still need to be added manually however, so head back to 'Data Management', then 'Import/Export', and select 'Import Images'.
  11. Next, select the 'Competition Emblems' option in the 'Import Images' screen.
  12. Tick all of the individual images (not the folders), and press OK.
  13. Finally, you need to edit each competition manually with their newly imported logos, by burrowing down through the 'Competition Category' pages which will follow the logo import.

used to be a PES devotee. even had the hacked japenese version on my PS before it came out here.

stuck with fifa now, but would love a good PES to come out. i still hate FIFA

Played the PES demo for ps4 and it was much Improved from last year. Only thing that puts me off is having to update the team names strips ect. If that was easy enough and not time consuming I would pick up PES.

Fifa on the other hand will be solid and enjoyable but not much change in terms of the overall game.I only play career mode so if they improve that I'm happy enough

Will be FIFA 18 for me and with some of the minor changes to clubs it should make it that much bearable!

Not sure if I will venture into FUT or just stick with Clubs and Seasons (Always go Rangers)

Played the PES demo for ps4 and it was much Improved from last year. Only thing that puts me off is having to update the team names strips ect. They that was easy enough and not time consuming I would pick up PES.

Fifa on the other hand will be solid and enjoyable but not much change in terms of the overall game.I only play career mode so if they improve that I'm happy enough

It's a chore no one enjoys, but doesn't take long and is a one off. If you do prefer the gameplay on PES then I'd certainly say it's worth doing though rather than just accepting FIFA.

I'm hoping the Journey is a lot better this year as well as career mode with FIFA though. Not interested in Ultimate Team at all or PES's version of it although these seem to be the most popular modes nowadays.

Think this will be the year that I finally buy neither of them.

Both companies have been ripping the arse out of it for years, producing sub standard products for way too long.

I've been playing them for the last 10 years, started on PES but been FIFA since around 2011.
Don't think I'm going to buy either this year, got fed up with last years. Looks great but the gameplay is the same old, despite that 'frostbite' engine

The PES demo was disappointing. You could drive through the backline too easy, and the goalkeepers are absolute shite.

Both are shite but FIFA on the switch is too good for heading to work etc.

Nintendo loyal

I have always been PES fan but I agree recent years have slipped behind FIFA however I stay loyal to PES and I hope the 2018 edition will be awesome. I would like to see the addition of scottish teams or at least have Rangers back in the game.

Played pes 2017 over fifa last year, much preferred the gameplay. going for pes 2018 again this year.
Really enjoyed last years PES. It's getting better and better and the feel and playability was better than FIFA last year IMO. FIFA has no soul man.

I'll probably get both as friends list play FIFA more but will enjoy PES more solo.

The PES demo was disappointing. You could drive through the backline too easy, and the goalkeepers are absolute shite.

Did you try putting the difficulty up and changing the auto assists etc? Never found the keepers to be shite myself. I thought through balls were a little overpowered though, and you rarely seem to be awarded a free kick.

Comparing to FIFA17 it feels like a far more entertaining/exciting game to play IMO.

Always preferred Fifa to be honest,

Hated playing PES with the fake names etc. always hated playing as AC Milan or someone else and them being called something else.

It really is a surprise that another game hasn't been produced to rival these two by now given how much they just churn out much the same shite each year.

I was PES from the very beginning however it lost it gradually as the consols got better. Bought fifa 17, found the online mode, and doubt I will be back with Pro Evo.

Gay comment coming up but sitting up all night with my mates "post disco" in the late 90s playing the early pro Evos were perhaps the best days of my life. Bizarrely we used to listen to Simon & garfunkel lps..

Always preferred Fifa to be honest,

Hated playing PES with the fake names etc. always hated playing as AC Milan or someone else and them being called something else.

An hour of your time and all that is fixed with option files these days. If you prefer FIFA gameplay then fair enough, but surely gameplay is more important than names which you can edit.

I like having the official Champions League, Europa League in PES though, rather than Champions Cup in FIFA, even just for the music and cutscenes :D

I don't even play career mode etc on Fifa
Play UT and seasons online although I did complete the journey last time.
Anyone suggest a game mode to try out?

Nearly time.

I'll be honest - I spend a few weeks playing Career Mode winning the league with Rangers than it's pretty much 12 straight months of Pro Clubs.

I can't justify even investing time into learning how UT works as I know it's just a monster revenue generator for them.

Hopefully some decent dev has went into clubs this year but from looking at videos around it looks pretty much the same.

PES has been gradually getting better these last few releases but still doesnt have that pick up and play fluidity it had on the PS2/Xbox

I was playing PES5 on an old modded xbox the other week - absolutely fantastic game. Strange to think how playing FIFA was reason enough to be mockingly branded a woofter back pre-2008 and now it's just a great game.

Even now, it's difficult to see how even if PES gets that pick up and playability back, can compete with EA.

It's a fascinating era for football sims for sure.

This is the reason I enjoy PES more than FIFA. You need to take time to play the game and get better at it. It's a proper challenge, especially playing on Superstar level. When you do score goals and get victories it feels like you have earned it.

I've never had that with FIFA. It's really easy to pick up, play, and win games. I enjoy a challenge.

Played the PES demo for ps4 and it was much Improved from last year. Only thing that puts me off is having to update the team names strips ect. If that was easy enough and not time consuming I would pick up PES.

You can do it no bother at all mate.

I've got PES17 on the PS3. Got the option file off one of the forums and stuck it on easy as you like. The guy that made the file is Mexican I believe so it meant I could transfer Pena and Herrera into my side as he had put in the full Mexican League.

I imagine the same will be available pretty quick for PES18 when it comes out.

Had both games for past 2 years and I much prefer PES, FIFA (been playing fifa only since about 07)just feels like it's the same game with updated strips and transfers every season. PES wins the gameplay but sadly its servers are pretty crappy. As others mentioned it only takes a wee bit of your time to download an option file and you have real names, kits, faces and new teams.

Try joining an online league for PES it makes the game a lot better also.

Fifa seems to be preferred by most pros, but not sure if it's just because they want to play as themselves and it's easier to do that on Fifa.

PES can sometimes feel a bit too arcade-like for my taste but I hope this year is better.

going to buy FIFA as UT, Clubs and SBCs will keep me busy. SBCs were a fantastic addition to FIFA last year and hopefully they can go further with 18 with the addition of icons for PS4

PES is decent enough but there just isn't enough online for me. Plus the menus look like a PS1 game and have done for almost a decade now. I know Konami don't really care but surely they could get somebody in to fix the GUI of the game

I've generally been a PES man as i find the FIFA gameplay too slow.

But I might give it a go this year & get a career with the bears going.

Back