Filip Helander signs 4 year deal now Confirmed

"His biggest strength is also his biggest weakness. He lives by the sword and dies by the sword. His tendency to go and press at every opportunity can lead to being exploited by 1-2s and combinations. You drag Helander up the pitch following a striker and use the space he negated. In these five games, opponents didn't take advantage of this as often as they should have. Whomever Helander partners with will need to have a very good understanding."

Interesting. I wonder, if he presses high to win the ball back could maybe Kamara or Davis stay behind and cover the space in behind Helander?

To my mind this signing sends a clear message to the rest of Scottish football and, in particular, to those teams that set out destroy us that we are definitely back. Last season, we were top scorers but lost some stupid goals which didn’t help our goal difference and cost us points. I’m of the belief that that the signing of Filip Helander will help eliminate these mistakes as he appears to have build, ability and experience to handle the thugs in Scottish football who masquerade as footballers. Additionally, with four quality centre backs there is now competition, cover and a degree of flexibility that was lacking last season.

What is heartening is that the Rangers are signing players on long term contracts and are obviously planning for the future. Great credit must go to Steven Gerrard and the rest of the backroom staff for the way they have gone about their business in this transfer window.

Re Katic, I grew up idolising Alex Scott, Rangers and Scotland right winger. Wee Willie Henderson comes along, goodbye Alex Scott. Ditto Billy Stevenson and Jim Baxter. Good teams constantly improve and nowadays your pool of players has to be big. Let's not worry about our big Croatian warrior.
Alex Scott was the Scotland right winger but was replaced by an up and coming right-wing revelation who would go on to become world class.
Being in the Scotland team in those days didn't mean you were automatically good enough to play for Rangers.

That said, Alex was a great player and it was a shame he never stayed to play a vital part in the coming seasons.
But in those days teams had a first eleven and then it was reserve players and the concept of a first-team pool was unknown in the UK.
If a player thought he was good enough to play for another side in the first team then they moved on rather than not feature.
Wages were all much of a muchness and the real difference between top sides was bounus's.

Katic is still developing as a top player and I am sure he will get plenty of first team action for Rangers.
Steven Gerrard will look at his players and he will want to have peace of mind that he can interchange his squad without drastically weakening his on-field eleven.
I think this window has brought us closer to that ambition.

Id say the most sensible decision here would be to play a 3-4-3. Cant see Goldson sitting on the bench, nor do I want to see Katic on the bench, but signing this boy for 4m means surely he cant be on the bench.

So them 3 at the back, Tav pushed up to RM but covering the RB area, kind of sorts out the LB problem aswell, as we wouldnt particularly need one.

Front 3 of Kent Defoe Ojo :cool:

The 3 at the back thing always raises it’s head at some point. I think we have tried it many times in the last 30 years I have watched us - and it never works or lasts for some reason.

Don’t have a good feeling about this one.

Nearly everyone here was unimpressed with JW taking NK place.

It was clearly one of only a few clear errors of judgement by SG.

This seems to be a luxury we don’t need that may upset squad morale.

Time will tell.

Time will tell.
Are you the one who claimed Gerrard has a low IQ?

Time will tell.

Can you PM admin and request to choose a new username? Little Rod Wallace wouldn’t come away with anything as ridiculous as this.

I know nothing of the big chap, other than what I've read on here.

Hope he's top drawer and not a
imageService

Welcome big man!

Time will tell.[/QUOTE
Jesus Christ.

Time will tell.

Obvious seperate entity sympathiser is obvious.

What’s great about this signing is the quality and depth now we have at CB pairings for the season ahead I’m sure everyone is going to get game time as long season ahead.

Okay, so the big viking doesn't fook about but he isn't going to be cutting defences open.

I think based on how Gerrard sees ys needing to defend Katic, Helander and Goldson with swap in and out all season. Edmundson, I think, will play like Katic did, being spared for when the gaffer wants to, not when he needs to.

Helander is a step up from McAuley being younger but still experienced. Edmundson may be a step up from Worral, but perhaps not yet.

o_O Katic is right-sided and right-footed is he not? As are Edmundson and Goldson. Helander could partner any of our other three centre-backs.

I agree it will be a Goldson - Helander partnership as first choice by the way.
Goldson is not the dominant leader that he was asked to be last year ... at times Worral was the organiser in defence ..... I think we will see the best of big Connor now that we have a dominant leader in the centre of our defence !!!

Anyone not happy with this signing is crazy.

We have a debate about who should be his partner, for me it should be Katic, for many others it will be Goldson.
All of these three will have their faults but they are all good defenders , there isn’t a need to slag one of them off to justify why you would pick one over the other.

Looks a good signing. Here’s hoping he helps us stand up to some of the hammer throwers in the league.

Anyone know exactly how much we paid for the guy? Am I correct in thinking its 3.5m with 1.5m add ons?

Never thought we would be spending that sort of cash on a player for a long time! Exciting signing and exciting times:)

Anyone know exactly how much we paid for the guy? Am I correct in thinking its 3.5m with 1.5m add ons?

Never thought we would be spending that sort of cash on a player for a long time! Exciting signing and exciting times:)

Nobody except your average garden tim knows 'exactly' what we paid ffs, not even Rangers negotiators.

Fantastic. Can’t wait to see him in our colours and bringing his talents to banish the forces of evil from the Scottish game. WATP!

How much will we spend this summer - when do you think we will see such a signing?

When are we going to spend money?

Why are we spending this sort of money on a centre back?

Never heard of Filip Helander. I've read he has performed in Serie A, has a solid pedigree about him and has been a regular starter in the Swedish national team over the last number of internationals. I'm still not sure on this one...

Doesn't matter if we sign a bosman, a highly rated cross border signing or a player playing in one of the best leagues in World football for a fee we've not paid in years. Some are never happy.

We are putting together a squad that's strong in almost every department; GK, defence, midfield, out wide and in attack with possibly more to follow.

The board are delivering, Allen, Scoulding and co are clearly monitoring players around Europe and our manager is getting the men he wants at an extremely quick pace.

Back