First European away game

Juventus 1978 Lost 1-0 and were battered for most of the game. I still have the Toro flag I got that night ! There were lots of Torino fans in with the bears. Completely different story in the return leg where we won 2-0.

Leipzig a couple of years ago. Sure a lot of bears my age will have been in the same boat. Some trip though apart from the game.

Parma, 98. 3-1 defeat. 29 hours wae the nithsdale, 4 hour stop in metz, played fitbaw in the street

Shelbourne 1998. Not abroad, but away European game nevertheless.

First abroad was Valencia in 1999. Cracking city, shit game. We were well beaten that night.

Stuttgart in 2009. Bougherra taking the ball off Rothen and pinging it on the half volley. The only decent result that campaign.

Progres 0-0 this season. Picked the worst European game I possibly could’ve went to this season. Decided to book up for Leverkusen and it subsequently got cancelled. I’m a jinx :rolleyes:
My sons first away game was the Progres game last season, he also booked Leverkusen. Seriously thinking of hiding his passport

PSG in UEFA cup, was a total nightmare getting there because of the strike, kind of ruined the day because we ended up scurrying about all over the place instead of just getting to party.

Munich '89. Drive down to London coincided with the final day of The Ryder Cup on the radio then the trip coincided with Oktoberfest (even though it was September!). Drew 0-0 after getting pumped 3-1 at Ibrox by a very good team. Sure Terry Butcher played up front in Munich.
Same game for me, travelled with a guy I sat beside at the games on the Larkhall Supporters bus, overnight stay is a trip with events that will stay with me forever , scary to think how drunk I was the night before the game.

Ajax 1996.
6 of us travelled with Newtownards Road Loyal. Think they had 2 buses & a mini bus travelled?
Remember getting off bus in Amsterdam & they paraded (flutes & drums) to 'hotel' in red light district!
An enjoyable & eventful trip despite beat 4-1!
Aye 2 buses......was some trip and a great parade too

PSG in 2001 for me. We travelled with Sport Options, or Flight Options as they were known then.
As others have said, there was a French ATC strike, we ended up flying into Belgium and bussing it for 4 hours to Paris on a bus with dodgy suspension. If they hadn’t mentioned the suspension being gubbed then all would have been good, as soon as they mentioned it though a rendition of the dambusters ensued. I’ll never forget that bus swaying from side to side as we hurtled along a Belgian motorway at god knows what speed. :oops:

We had tickets for the PSG end that Flight Options had got us. They let us into the stadium but the stewards kept sending us away from the actually entrance to the seated area. Eventually one steward was relieved of his position guarding the entrance and we were in.

It was a strange experience as cups of some kind of liquid were thrown at us when it became apparent that a couple of hundred bears had infiltrated their section. I’ll never forget the sight at the end though, the place emptied and you could see thousands of bears scattered right round the place.

Last edited:
Dortmund 95 as an 11 year old. Was baltic. We went to the square before it for some fan zone type thing. Lars Ricken was onstage doing a Q and A then some old bear got up and sang the sash. Good memories.

Villarreal in 06.

Never made the game tho. Landed in Alicante on the Sunday and went straight on the piss in Benidorm.

Ended up ripping my arm open and spent 2 days in hospital, got out on the Tuesday afternoon and went for a few beers to watch it in a pub then flew home Wednesday.

First and last euro trip:))

Have you never been away since? :oops: I remember speaking to you the day after it happened.

Was a great trip from what I remember (I was so drunk) and so glad I do not remember much of the game, 1982 in Germany v Cologne (Fc Koln) we got beat 5-0

Have you never been away since? :oops: I remember speaking to you the day after it happened.
No never mate, had a couple of kids, money was tight all the usual excuses :(

I’m offshore now and it’s not such a problem but my rotation has done me lastcouple of years.

hopefully next year get away;)

was a good laugh in the old town that night tho:D

PSG Uefa Cup 2001, 0-0 won on penalties. There was an air strike in France had to fly to Belgium and bus it to Paris, not much recollection of that bus journey lol

Sparta Prague in 1991 on the Toryglen bus.Never knew a bus could smell like that but a brilliant trip

Viktoria Zizkov in 2002 on the Nithsdale bus. First and last bus trip. Great laugh going but a killer on the way back, especially after getting beat 2-0.

No never mate, had a couple of kids, money was tight all the usual excuses :(

I’m offshore now and it’s not such a problem but my rotation has done me lastcouple of years.

hopefully next year get away;)

was a good laugh in the old town that night tho:D

Lost a few days on that trip:D

Cologne 1979. A fantastic trip and we met some players in a bar after the game. I remember getting a beer mat signed by Sandy Jardine and Alex McDonald; can’t remember who else but I was probably very, very drunk at the time.

Boavista 1986, lucky enough to see a victory. 1-0 Coop's mazy run from the right setting up Derek Ferguson to smash home from the edge of the box. Chris Woods also made a stunning save at 0-0.

Reactions: SSR
Boavista 1986, lucky enough to see a victory. 1-0 Coop's mazy run from the right setting up Derek Ferguson to smash home from the edge of the box. Chris Woods also made a stunning save at 0-0.
Done that trip by bus.. Saturday to the next Friday job :eek:

Last edited:
My first away trip was to Stuttgart in 2003, 2 plane journeys and a train from Geneva to get there, but worth it, had a brilliant trip.

Ajax in 96 pumped 4-1 by a class team but amazing trip.
Went with flight options and the guy from that company had a massive roll of tickets for the Ajax section. Basically a plane load in the wrong end. Unbelievable.

Dusseldorf in 79 on the Nithsdale Loyal, stopped in london on the way home and I went to see 999 at the Marquee club!

Back