Football ability only. . . Tav or Flanagan?

Now and forever

While the other thread is full of the morality of signing Flanagan what about footballing ability.

Flanagan will be on a few bob by our standards and will certainly not be here as cover.

So if he was to replace Tav would that be a good move or not, would he be an upgrade on Tav?

Flanagan will be here to kick start his career. Whilst money talks, the lure of SG and GM will be a huge influence.

Footballng wise I would suggest Flanagan. Hes played at the highest levels of football.

I know very little about Flanagan, but I do know that if Gerrard can get an extra 5-10% out of Tav then we will have the best player in the league, as it currently stands. That could change in the coming weeks.

Depends what Flanagan we get. If it’s the one that came through in Gerrard’s Liverpool team and got a full England cap, there’s really no contest.

And I say that as a big Tav fan.

I just made reference to this.

We need a RB like Tav - an additonal threat at home when teams pack in.

Flannagan played for Liverpool - aye great, so did Vignal....some are easy sold by the EPL thing.

Flanagan has 40 Premier League appearances for Liverpool over 7 seasons, which works out at about 5 a year.

He played 10 times for Burnley and nine times for Bolton.

He has fewer Premier League appearances than Kenny Miller.

Flannagan played for Liverpool - aye great, so did Vignal....some are easy sold by the EPL thing.
Flanagan played regular for a Liverpool team who came within a whisker of winning the prem league though, currently tav would be first choice but wouldn’t write Flanagan off, would rather him left back and tav right tbh

In the last 2 seasons he couldn't hold a place down at Burnley or Bolton and hardly played. That's why i hope he doesn't turn out to be Tavs replacement.

Flanagan played regular for a Liverpool team who came within a whisker of winning the prem league though, currently tav would be first choice but wouldn’t write Flanagan off, would rather him left back and tav right tbh

They were so shit at the back...he was carried there by Suarez and to a lesser extent Gerrard

Average players can play in good teams...we made a European Final with guys like Whittaker and Broadfoot.

On Football ability as a Defender, Flanagan. Tav is a decent modern day full back but his defending is suspect most of the time.

Tav is best attacking RB in league, if he can tidy up his defending its Tav for me, Flannagan is just an improvement on Hodgson as back up, like few folk have said hes done nothing for years.

If Tav can recreate his form from the Scumhut in Dec 0-0 game on a consistent basis he should be player of the season

He was outstanding that day.

Why we would consider £3m for him is crazy.

Tav with better defenders and a better keeper will only get better

I’d play Flanagan at LB at DJ is not best defensively so if Flanagan as reported play at LB I play him there

All ifs buts and maybes........time will tell

Skelfs on my arse from sitting on this fence

Tav.

As someone said about that highlight vid of his, if we watched that about an incoming signing we’d be creaming our pants.

His contribution is tremendous and he deserves his place more than most.

Flanagan has 40 Premier League appearances for Liverpool over 7 seasons, which works out at about 5 a year.

He played 10 times for Burnley and nine times for Bolton.

He has fewer Premier League appearances than Kenny Miller.
And we have players not good enough to play 1 single game for Liverpool in their entire careers.

I dont know as haven't seen enough of Flanagon lately.

Going on recent reports he hasn't been great though so probably have to say Tav.

I love how people remember players from years ago and think they are the same as they were ... if he was still the same player Flanagan would not be getting released no matter his past indiscretions

Then again I’m a Tav fan boy :D

I know very little about Flanagan, but I do know that if Gerrard can get an extra 5-10% out of Tav then we will have the best player in the league, as it currently stands. That could change in the coming weeks.

You kidding. He could not keep weans out a close. He lacks height and is a huge disadvantage at corners. He's really not a very good defender. Going forward he gives us good width and hits a goodish cross at times but his main role is defending and he's really not very good at it.

Footballing ability...Tav. He's more than decent going forward.

Flanagan,if he's retained a smidgen of his ability blows Tav out the water as a defender.

Flanagan for me.

You honestly have to be off the scale mental to say Flanagan.

Its like saying Miller is better than Morelos. Aye, 5 years ago.

Ones career has been in a massive downward spiral for 5 years, the others has been the opposite.

Flanagan has played for Liverpool and England says it's all
Francis Jeffers played for Arsenal and England.

Flanagan has done nothing in his career since that season Liverpool nearly won the league. He’s been constantly injured and if you read the Bolton forums they think he’s rank rotten.

Tav is a defensive liability. Good going forward but even then a bit selfish and squanders possession too easily.
Flanagan sounds to me the better option. That would give us three hard tough defenders, something we’ve missed for years.

I don’t know a lot about Flanagan but I just don’t think tavernier is anywhere near good enough defensively for us if we plan on challenging the poets.

You kidding. He could not keep weans out a close. He lacks height and is a huge disadvantage at corners. He's really not a very good defender. Going forward he gives us good width and hits a goodish cross at times but his main role is defending and he's really not very good at it.

If Tav is with us at the end of the transfer window then I would expect him to be competing for the player of the year awards next season. He will have better cover at CH and midfield, that made his position far more vulnerable than it should have been.

Flanagan was last playing for Bolton.

Why people keep thinking he’s this England and Liverpool player on £30k a week, I don’t know.

Things change.

If he somehow gets back to his best I can see us using all three of them regularly. Tav and Flanagan would be first choice for me.

He needs to show that he can play the way he used to.

You honestly have to be off the scale mental to say Flanagan.

Its like saying Miller is better than Morelos. Aye, 5 years ago.

Ones career has been in a massive downward spiral for 5 years, the others has been the opposite.

Tav is a horrendous defender.

Tavernier can’t defend ffs why can’t people see this ? His positioning is dreadful ,good going forward but come on be honest he is an awful defender !

If Flanagan comes we are cashing in on tav to rebuild the squad , that's the way I see it anyway.

We aren't gonna be paying 15-20k a week for a player sitting on the bench.

Back