Football ability only. . . Tav or Flanagan?

Tav is a horrendous defender.
Well, he isn't horrendous. Thats why there is Premiership teams scouting/interested in him & absolutely no one interested in the free agent Flanagan.

Calum Paterson is a better right back than Flanagan, and he has played right back even less than Flanagan in the past year. Boy who even Bolton fans didn't want back. Do we want to win the league or not?

Francis Jeffers played for Arsenal and England.

Flanagan has done nothing in his career since that season Liverpool nearly won the league. He’s been constantly injured and if you read the Bolton forums they think he’s rank rotten.

That's one example you mention what next tav better than Kyle walker ??

Only one of their careers is of any use to anyone right now as it’s on an upward trajectory.

The other is a bit of a car crash that has shown no real sign of improvement for years.

If that's your attitude then it's time to lure Souness out of retirement, I think.
I was using as a counter to someone saying Flannagan must be poor as he's 'only' played 40 times for Liverpool. I just flipped it on its head to show that 40 games can be quite decent in comparison to some players who couldn't hope for 1. I know nothing of Flannagan so I'm not gonna comment on how good or bad he is. But I will comment on how 'poor' we are in our fullback positions.

He was decent for one season in 13/14, more so in his mentality & determination than raw footballing ability.

As far as I can see, that since his two bad injury after that season he has never been the same. Liverpool, Bolton & Burnley fans all in agreement with that, and his record backs it up. I've just read a Burnley thread talking about him where they slaughter his defensive abilities (which are being lauded on here, despite nobody seeing them for 5 years), mentioning he was skinned anytime anyone came near him & ran ragged by a Lincoln winger. Add that to the Bolton fans not wanting him back.

If you really do think Jon Flanagan is a better football than Tavernier, you are at either at the wind up or off yer fuckin rocker. To put it lightly.

Sad as it makes me, I think this is the beginning of the end for Tavernier.

One of the few that will generate a good fee and we need to pay for the rebuild somehow.

Tav by a country mile. Flanagan is a hammer thrower, not saying that’s a bad thing necessarily in defensive terms, but Tav is clearly a superior player with the ball.

Be ironic if flanagan was on a fair bit more cash than Tav and was his back up. Doesn't make sense

Any chance of Tav being pushed forward? I know we have Candieas but just a thought.

Tav and John will do well for us in an organised system, will chip in with numerous goals and assists.

Good players rated by Gerrard and Mark Allen.

I'd moan about something else because unless we get a good offer they will be starting the season as our LB and RB.

I don't know JF that well but from what I have seen Tav is the one on the way up. If he can keep improving defensively he will be very good. Considering Tav is never injured Flanagan might have a wait to show us what he can do.

JF will hopefully provide stiff competition for the fullback positions.

Tav isnt a good defender probably league one or lower championship standard but his forward play is top end championship/low level premiership. All round Flanagan was a better more rounded fullback....we will soon find out if he still is!

We don’t know what kind of condition Flanagan will be in. Hardly played the last few years. Would be a huge gamble to replace Tav with him.

Having watched Flanagan since he broke through the team, the word to describe his style of play would be solid but unspectacular. He can cover both sides and he’s better defensively than he is going forwards! He’s quite slow for a fullback though. He will always put his body on the line for the team and he’s a player that will play his heart out!

Back