Football Manager 21

Not played last few iterations as it got too in depth and boring for me

I've never tried the cut down 'touch' version, is that any good?

Not played last few iterations as it got too in depth and boring for me

I've never tried the cut down 'touch' version, is that any good?
The touch version is perfect for transport journeys or waiting about, obviously you have less control but it’s still enjoyable/addictive.

Currently in an Online save with 3 other boys off Andy Halliday’s Discord server.

We all chose smaller teams to make it more difficult. St Johnstone, Motherwell, Livingston & Dundee Utd are taken. Teams still available are Hamilton, Ross County, Killie, St Mirren.

Anyone interested in that sort of thing?
I would absolutely be interested, what sort of times do you guys normally operate?

I bought it last week, lasted about three hours and it just felt like a chore playing it. Haven't went back to it since.

I get they are trying to make it more realistic but it's just too much. Not enjoyable for me at all.

Exactly this. Far too much info to get your head into. I chucked it after a few hours myself.

@vinnie @ChiefOrbo

We seem to be getting a few hours in most nights during the week & tend to leave it at the weekend.

We had 7 but 3 weren’t regular players so it’s mainly just us 4. We made a rule if there’s more than 50% on we just play regardless. We’re now approaching the split in the first season with Hamilton a goner but other than that any team can be turned around.

Just got this yesterday.

I hate how much the interface during matches has changed. And the player condition no longer being a percentage. I heard it’s meant to make it “more realistic”. But i liked the percentage. Also on the tactics screen...the players no longer seem to have the green circle to indicate their suitability for the position theyre selected in.

Any one got a good method of selling players at the start for a decent price without pissing whole team off?

Picked this up yesterday with my new laptop, first version I've played since 2012.

Bloody hell, it's insanely more in depth now. A lot of information to take in with all the mini tutorials from training, scouting section, media etc. I've played for about an hour and I've only played 2 friendlies.

Anyone got any recommendations on things to leave to backroom staff? The training is just far too complex to get involved in, for example.

Any one got a good method of selling players at the start for a decent price without pissing whole team off?
Try and avoid selling team leaders & influential players as they’re more likely to spread their negativity through the squad.

Picked this up yesterday with my new laptop, first version I've played since 2012.

Bloody hell, it's insanely more in depth now. A lot of information to take in with all the mini tutorials from training, scouting section, media etc. I've played for about an hour and I've only played 2 friendlies.

Anyone got any recommendations on things to leave to backroom staff? The training is just far too complex to get involved in, for example.
My advise would be to delegate everything until you are used to the basics. Once you're comfortable with that, start taking back control of things one at a time to see if it's something you want to get involved in or not. Maybe have attribute masking switched off. That means that players attributes show up without the need for scouting.

You can still have an enjoyable game without getting too deep so leaving absolutely everything to your staff except tactics, team selection and transfers is fine if that's what you want to do.

On my Rangers save I keep getting messages to ignore takeover rumours etc, does that mean there is a takeover coming or does it always say that?
Unlikely I would say. It happens far too often in the game.

If you start seeing news when it mentions specific names of people taking over, that’s when it’s more likely.

Downloaded this last night, subbed to Xbox Game Pass as i was bored lol.

Love the new layout while games are playing. Feel like i can see whats happening stat wise etc more clearly.

No idea who to buy yet, waiting to see if any bids come in as at least 5 are wanted atm. Im Rangers obviously.

The amount of offside VAR goals being chalked off is ridicules, happens pretty much most games in the EPL.

Goals disallowed must be 99.999% v goals allowed after VAR.

The amount of offside VAR goals being chalked off is ridicules, happens pretty much most games in the EPL.

I can see that being very annoying. Some parts of reality like covid and var should be taken out of the game as it just spoils things

I can see that being very annoying. Some parts of reality like covid and var should be taken out of the game as it just spoils things
I think it needs to have as much authenticity as possible - Covid maybe not so much (although the extra subs being allowed is fun!) but Brexit is a big part of it, and VAR is a huge part of the game now, it has to be there.

Love the new layout while games are playing. Feel like i can see whats happening stat wise etc more clearly.

No idea who to buy yet, waiting to see if any bids come in as at least 5 are wanted atm. Im Rangers obviously.
I'm on it via Xbox game pass too. In second season now having went undefeated season 1. The game pissed off Goldson at start of season 2, it told me my captain was Tav and jack was vice captain and if I wanted I could change this but it would piss off whoever I change, I was confused as I thought Goldson should be vice but didn't want to change to him incase it pissed off Jack. Of course it turns out Goldson was vice so he got pissed off. Offer for 20 mill came In so sold him

Moved helander on for 15 and Hagi for 20 also. Signed Diop to replace Goldson and Katic fit again to replace Helander.

Only other signing I have is an AM I got at Christmas in first season called Kalmar, decent player I got for 200k. Also Jones has been great so far in season 2, all the rest that were on loan I extended their loans.

On the Xbox version it only lets me control one team, so far I've only been Rangers so only had VAR in Europe. I didn't find it happen that much tbf

Can you play against other players mate, and if so does it support cross play? A few of us are bored of WZ etc and looking for another time waster, but are on different platforms.

I think it needs to have as much authenticity as possible - Covid maybe not so much (although the extra subs being allowed is fun!) but Brexit is a big part of it, and VAR is a huge part of the game now, it has to be there.

No denying it needs to be in the game but I would say about 20 of my goals this season have been disallowed on VAR. To make it more believable they need to turn the frequency down and also make goals stand, when it goes to VAR in the game you know its 100% going to chalked off.

Can you play against other players mate, and if so does it support cross play? A few of us are bored of WZ etc and looking for another time waster, but are on different platforms.
Iv just fired the PC up just now. If you give me a min I’ll check bud!

Tried the Xbox version on Xbox before i downloaded the full version on PC. Must say, i liked Touch on the Switch but the Xbox version seems clunky as %^*&. The only way i can think to describe it lol. Its all too big and in your face.

Can you play this game on console? Will i be able to get it for PS4?

Tried the Xbox version on Xbox before i downloaded the full version on PC. Must say, i liked Touch on the Switch but the Xbox version seems clunky as %^*&. The only way i can think to describe it lol. Its all too big and in your face.
Wondered if that would be the case. Down the years have seen some great games like C&C Red Alert and stuff that just didn't translate well to console. Was the xbox FM21 that intrigued me, but it's sound like my Mac or PC would be better....?

Wondered if that would be the case. Down the years have seen some great games like C&C Red Alert and stuff that just didn't translate well to console. Was the xbox FM21 that intrigued me, but it's sound like my Mac or PC would be better....?
100% better on PC imo.

Im loaded up on PC and you can play online using the game pass version. Its the full game so thought you could.

Unsure if you can play online on the Xbox edition.

I used to love it years ago but for me it just got too in depth and it sacrificed fun for realism. I get some love that but it just couldn’t hold my attention because of it.

I used to love it years ago but for me it just got too in depth and it sacrificed fun for realism. I get some love that but it just couldn’t hold my attention because of it.
Like folk have said, the Touch version is good for people who dont like the full in depth game.

Iv been putting off getting this game since its release because i get lost in it. See you at Christmas :))

This game has stole my hours from my life since, well I can't remember..... easily early 90s? I buy it ever year, love it. I have found memories of having Laudrup Gascoigne in my team and rage quiting when the board accepted offer for them

I would be keen to start a diff network game if folk are keen. It’s bad enough finding time all 5 of us can play the SPFL one we made a rule if 50% of players are available we play regardless.

Maybe a lowly EPL teams one or even Championship - if you’re game @AllyRFC & @TimzRFudz let us know & we’ll sort something.

We’ve got an SPFL network with 5 of us that we’ve made to season 2. We’re on most nights (midweek) - I took St J to 3rd in season one :cool:

Only rule is nobody can take Rangers, Celtic or Aberdeen off the bat.
Haha, how does that work then? Just the same as drafts but longer?

Not sure i can commit to something with amount of game tine with Warzone to play too haha.

Haha, how does that work then? Just the same as drafts but longer?

Not sure i can commit to something with amount of game tine with Warzone to play too haha.
We played through a season in a few weeks but that was playing a couple hours most midweek nights.

I’d do a draft if that suited folk better. I find the single player saves become boring after about 5-7 seasons

We played through a season in a few weeks but that was playing a couple hours most midweek nights.

I’d do a draft if that suited folk better. I find the single player saves become boring after about 5-7 seasons
I never manage to complete that many seasons on my own, never mind online! Haha.

Always keen for a wee multiplayer game though, enjoyed it last time.

Noticed this on gamepass, thought about downloading it but work, kids and the rest of life doesn't give me the freedom of the good old days when you could put it on at 12pm and still be sitting there at 3am

4-2-3-1 signed Lewandowski on a free, still amazing! plays behind Patson Daka or as a lone striker, in season 2025/26

I would be keen to start a diff network game if folk are keen. It’s bad enough finding time all 5 of us can play the SPFL one we made a rule if 50% of players are available we play regardless.

Maybe a lowly EPL teams one or even Championship - if you’re game @AllyRFC & @TimzRFudz let us know & we’ll sort something.
I’d hate to say yes and then be a bit flakey on it mate and let folk down. I have another bunch of weirdos I do I bit of gaming with and probably spend too much time on it as it is.

I’ll likey DL it and take a look and see if I get into it and have some time I’ll give you a shout and see if you’re still looking for teams. Cheers!

Absolutely battering the SPFL teams so far with a gegenpress lol.

Scott Wright is like some kind of super sub so far too!

No denying it needs to be in the game but I would say about 20 of my goals this season have been disallowed on VAR. To make it more believable they need to turn the frequency down and also make goals stand, when it goes to VAR in the game you know its 100% going to chalked off.
Yes, they need to sort the algorithm out - although in the EPL, decisions are pretty shocking most of the time!

I think it's down to VAR not being decision making in game. It's just a little animation tagged on to the already fixed decisions. So I've read elsewhere anyway.

Absolutely battering the SPFL teams so far with a gegenpress lol.

Scott Wright is like some kind of super sub so far too!
Scott Wright is a very decent sub.

I sold him second season as I just simply have more money and talent now. Plus I kinds wanna see if Kai Kennedy can become good with me. I think Wright is too old on the game to get any better than what he is.

I think it's down to VAR not being decision making in game. It's just a little animation tagged on to the already fixed decisions. So I've read elsewhere anyway.

Yeah that makes sense, just keeping the game more lifelike.

The other one that annoys me is the penalty calls too...I think when you put in so many hours you can predict exactly whats going to happen as the play becomes so familiar with the 3D match engine.

I think they need to focus more on that this year than with the other sides of the game, I want a more realistic match rather than spending a day setting up training etc..

Yes, they need to sort the algorithm out - although in the EPL, decisions are pretty shocking most of the time!

The match engine and the algorithm’s need sorting big time, I had Mbappe struggling to catch Kroos running down the touchline, Mbappe could catch him walking in real life.

The match engine and the algorithm’s need sorting big time, I had Mbappe struggling to catch Kroos running down the touchline, Mbappe could catch him walking in real life.
Kennedy and Gilmour were like greased lightning earlier on for me, no idea what their stats are though.

Finally made it to the European qualifiers. Can’t remember having to play so many league games before them before tbh. Took me most of yesterday to get there lol. Won them all except a draw at home to Killie. The scum are dropping points for fun already. Think theyve already drawn three!!

Back