Gareth Bale: The Monkey King

Just another example of the double standard. Nothing more. It’s actually a very odd story for them to write.

I’m not offended by it at all. I am offended by nothing, except, obviously, double standards of offence.

The BBC gleefully reporting that the Chinese think Gareth Bales looks like a Monkey. But it’s OK. It’s just a cartoon version of a Monkey God. In their classification of news it’s racist but they seem fine with it.

If our fans chose, oh let’s say a minority player from any team and compared him to an animal, BBC Scotland would be all over it and demand our arrest. Even if it was a cartoon God monkey. But when it’s the Chinese calling a Welshman a Monkey there’s no problem. It’s a hoot.

I’ve included a link but the real relevant parts are in the pictures so no need to click.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43526832

0aqrFGf.jpg

qYAEUC3.jpg

sbxdl74.jpg
Correct sir, excellent post.

It's not missing the point. It's just that the point is ridiculous and completely misses out any context or history of the use of the word.

It's because it has been used for decades/centuries(?) as a racist term to dehumanise black people and paint the whole race as thick, inferior, sub-human savages. And when they have actually been treated like that by governments, workplaces and pretty much everywhere up until not long ago, it's probably best not to say it.

Saying a white person, who looks like a monkey, looks like a monkey does not have these racist connotations so while it might hurt his feelings, it's not the same thing. It's hardly some injustice that is making all white peoples suffer, it's saying Gareth Bale looks like a monkey.
B_qca0WWEAAsyEJ.jpg:large

very well put.

it's all contextual, but that's too complicated for those who would prefer it to be "black and white".

everybodyhateschris14a.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Think these two lookalike

Am I racist
I don't know - are you? The fact you went out your way to look for two images to compare a black guy to a monkey in a stopmotion film could hint towards that point of view. The connotation of comparing black people to monkeys has been pointed out a few times in this thread and is obvious.

Don’t think Bale will give a banana what they say about his dead ringer looks of a monkey. If your watch the show monkey he does look like one of them, faster than a speeding arrow
One of the best shows ever..

As for the slur towards Bale.. I'm sure he will sue the bastards and get a few bob added to his trillions.. It really is a horrid comparison in these pc days.

Just as an aside, I was in Gareth Bale’s bar in Cardiff city centre name “Elevens” cool sports themed venue.

Just another example of the double standard. Nothing more. It’s actually a very odd story for them to write.

I’m not offended by it at all. I am offended by nothing, except, obviously, double standards of offence.

The BBC gleefully reporting that the Chinese think Gareth Bales looks like a Monkey. But it’s OK. It’s just a cartoon version of a Monkey God. In their classification of news it’s racist but they seem fine with it.

If our fans chose, oh let’s say a minority player from any team and compared him to an animal, BBC Scotland would be all over it and demand our arrest. Even if it was a cartoon God monkey. But when it’s the Chinese calling a Welshman a Monkey there’s no problem. It’s a hoot.

I’ve included a link but the real relevant parts are in the pictures so no need to click.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43526832

0aqrFGf.jpg

qYAEUC3.jpg

sbxdl74.jpg
For somebody who's not offended by it you seem very pissed off. The article is not racist, it's based on what happened in China. If anything it's drawing attention to China "racism".

Almost as bad as the time FF was in meltdown over the monkey-playing-a-drum scene in Only an Excuse.

Correct. Black people were called monkey because they were seen as and treated as less than human. It was a term to categorise them as on a par with the monkeys that came from Africa. Bale is being called King Monkey because he looks similar to the cartoon and the resemblance is pretty clear going by the pictures. They are not the same thing and in truth, not even close.
Nonsense I think the English weather is getting to you.

He does look like a bit like a monkey.

What are you wanting here? To be able to say people of other races look like monkeys or for people not to say Bale looks like a monkey? Seems like a weird thing to get upset about.

Maybe because a word like "chink" merits a ban oh here, not to mention UK wide condemnation yet they happily run about calling folk Monkeys.

The UK and America are weird places, (I don't know enough about Canada or Australia to link it to the whole English speaking world) but throughout Europe (and it seems Asia too) mentioning and in fact poking light hearted fun at poeple is taken as intended.

Allowing racial discrimination is a terrible thing, but using racism to counter it, by denying part of a community the right to indulge in the same banter everyone else does can't be much better.

very well put.

it's all contextual, but that's too complicated for those who would prefer it to be "black and white".

A bit like a Panda telling a Monkey it is too hairy.
Or the pot calling the kettle "coloured" if you will.

No offence intended.

It's not missing the point. It's just that the point is ridiculous and completely misses out any context or history of the use of the word.

It's because it has been used for decades/centuries(?) as a racist term to dehumanise black people and paint the whole race as thick, inferior, sub-human savages. And when they have actually been treated like that by governments, workplaces and pretty much everywhere up until not long ago, it's probably best not to say it.

Saying a white person, who looks like a monkey, looks like a monkey does not have these racist connotations so while it might hurt his feelings, it's not the same thing. It's hardly some injustice that is making all white peoples suffer, it's saying Gareth Bale looks like a monkey.

Cant looks more like the Scottish Cup with those listeners.

Any self respecting monkey would outraged being compared to that coupon.

Last edited:

This 100%. An excellent post.

Back