Gazza v Gerrard

o7o

I’ve just had a full blown debate with a Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd fan in work about who was the better player. Myself and the Man U fan said gazza the other two said Gazza would be way behind the likes of Gerrard Scholes and Lampard. What’s the thoughts? Gazza will always be number 1 for me.
SG is the better manager.

PG is possibly the most gifted footballer England has ever produced.

Paisleyprod

Official Ticketer
Two different types of players so no real comparison but some good points made.

Gazza could beat men for fun in the days of hard tackling. He had the unpredictable x factor. He would flourish today also as he had the ability.

Gerrard dragged his team by scruff of neck, great passer shooting from range etc. Great career over a long period.

The answer is there is no right answer to this or many a thread like it.

Whoever YOU think was best is probavly correct :)
Fence sitter loyal (for once)

Captain Cutlass

Official Ticketer
To save a bit of time I only just entered this thread on the last page... :eek:
Seems like a playground spat with a load of "pavement fighting" going on!
Anyway getting back to the point of the thread, for me Gazza just pips it and even Gerrard said when Gazza came to our training centre last week that the man was a Legend!
Two absolutely World Class footballers but Gazza actually worked his magic with us so that seals it for me.

The Pink Panther

I’ve just had a full blown debate with a Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd fan in work about who was the better player. Myself and the Man U fan said gazza the other two said Gazza would be way behind the likes of Gerrard Scholes and Lampard. What’s the thoughts? Gazza will always be number 1 for me.
I don’t remember Scholes, Gerrard or Lampard bossing a World Cup and taking England to within a few penalty kicks of the final.

Danger Zone

I could offer lessons on being respectful on another club’s form. ;)
Chalk and cheese mate, I think everyone enjoys your input here. You certainly don’t come on to sling personal insults, degrade and shit on Rangers legends (even if you never saw them play) and use embarrassing playground patter like “I’ll be with your mother”.

Frankly that child has no business being on here and I’m surprised he hasn’t already been canned.

GazzaNumber8

Its a debate i dont think there is truly an answer to , lets just be thankful we seen them both .

Imagine both of them in your engine room ? Frightening

Lewis Caw

Gazza for me .
Here are some quotes from others on Gascoigne's career.

''I'd say he's probably the most exciting English player I have seen , and certainly the best .''
Wayne Rooney .

''In his prime , he was one of the best players in the world . He glided with the ball in a way that made him virtually untouchable for opponents. ''
Brian Laudrup

''He was the best player of his era , a breath of fresh air because he played with a smile on his face .''
Sir Alex Ferguson

''He was a lovely boy , lovely, such a heart . But a troubled boy . He ate ice cream for breakfast , he drank beer for lunch . But a player ? Oh, beautiful , beautiful .''
Dino Zoff.

And a great one from Allessandro Nesta '' He gave me 5 pairs of shoes and a fishing kit . I have no idea why , but that was just like him . ''

academical

ffs even SG would say Gazza the best British footballer in my life time
Top five in my lifetime would be (in no particular order) Paul Gascoigne, Bobby Moore, Gordon Banks, Jimmy Greaves and George Best.

Gerrard was a truly great player, but just one of a long list of runners-up to those five.

Monts1310

Gazza for me .
Here are some quotes from others on Gascoigne's career.

''I'd say he's probably the most exciting English player I have seen , and certainly the best .''
Wayne Rooney .

''In his prime , he was one of the best players in the world . He glided with the ball in a way that made him virtually untouchable for opponents. ''
Brian Laudrup

''He was the best player of his era , a breath of fresh air because he played with a smile on his face .''
Sir Alex Ferguson

''He was a lovely boy , lovely, such a heart . But a troubled boy . He ate ice cream for breakfast , he drank beer for lunch . But a player ? Oh, beautiful , beautiful .''
Dino Zoff.

And a great one from Allessandro Nesta '' He gave me 5 pairs of shoes and a fishing kit . I have no idea why , but that was just like him . ''
“He is the greatest captain the club has ever had – it’s as simple as that.” Emre Can

“He’s a fantastic statesman; he has been unbelievably successful with this football club with what he’s done, the amount of games he has pulled out the mire, and the general way he conducts himself.” Kenny Dalglish

“Gerrard has been my idol for 10 years and is one of the best players in the world. He is the example of what all midfield players aspire to.” De Rossi

“He has become the most influential player in England, bar none. Not that Vieira lacks anything, but Gerrard does more.” Alex Ferguson

‘I’d have to say Steven Gerrard has been the biggest influence in my career so far. I watched him when I was younger and then to go and play and train with him every day is massive for me, and still is now.” Jordan Henderson

“He is undoubtedly one of the best midfield players in the world.” Carlo Ancelotti

“I think of him as being at the same level as Pirlo. Vision, technique, but he is powerful as well. Stevie can do anything. It’s going to be very difficult to find another player like him in the future.” Mario Balotelli

“I have never seen such a complete midfielder.” Claudio Marchisio

“The biggest compliment I can give him is he is second only to Zinedine Zidane in terms of his world-class status.” Michael Owen

“He’s the best player I have worked with in terms of football mentality.” Brendan Rodgers

“For the job he performs, he is one of the greatest.” Ronaldinho

“I can’t think of a striker in the world who has scored so many important goals, never mind a midfielder.” Thierry Henry

“I love Gerrard’s qualities as a player and a leader. Technically and tactically he is the best.” Gus Hiddink

“I am a huge fan of Steven Gerrard, He has the heart of a lion. He is a player I would like to have in my team.” Kaka

“Steven Gerrard was just awesome today. We were just laughing in the dressing room that at one stage we thought he was heading his own crosses in.” Gareth Southgate

“Steven Gerrard is the best player I’ve ever played with.” Luis Suarez

“He is without doubt the greatest player I have ever played with, he has everything. At Liverpool, he is irreplaceable.” Fernando Torres

“Steven Gerrard would be the captain of my World XI dream team.” Francesco Totti

“I heard what Alex Ferguson saif about him being better than me. He’s probably right.” Patrick Vieira

“Is he the best in the world? He might not get the attention of Messi and Ronaldo but yes, I think he just might be.” Zinedine Zidane

Sven-Goran Eriksson: An all-round midfielder who can do anything and everything.

Guus Hiddink (in 2009): Liverpool’s Steven Gerrard, Lionel Messi or Xavi from Barcelona deserved the Ballon d’Or more. Ronaldo is only focused on finishing in front of goal. I love Gerrard’s qualities as a player and a leader. Technically and tactically he is the best. His passion is enormous, he means as much for a great team as George Best. He is a player who fans can identify themselves with and a man who carries the love for his club on his club badge. There is not another player in the world who combines all those qualities. I like him so much more than Ronaldo.

Arsene Wenger: For me he was an absolutely fantastic player. He has remained loyal to his club for his whole career and we don’t see that a lot, especially that kind of quality of player.

Graham Taylor: He is, in my opinion, the best midfielder in the world, and has a track record for delivering on the big occasions.

Gerard Houllier: He is a natural born leader, a very inspirational leader. He is somebody you want to follow. Stevie is Liverpool.

Harry Redknapp: A Roy of the Rovers character. It’s surprising to me how often people have used this tag as a criticism of Steven Gerrard and his all-action playing style. He wants to be everywhere…he deserts his position…he can’t play in the middle because he’ll leave a gap. What nonsense. Roy Race was a comic book hero and Steven Gerrard is a real-life one.

Rafa Benitez: He was a massive part of Liverpool winning the Champions League because he was a leader by example.

Cesc Fabregas: I would pay to watch Steven Gerrard.

Alessandro Nesta: One of my toughest but most sporting opponents. An example on and off the pitch.

Iker Casillas: He’s been a reference to all his team-mates throughout the years and is now in history for such a brilliant career at his club for all his life.

Cristiano Ronaldo: It was a pleasure to play against Steven Gerrard.

Francesco Totti: Gerrard is a complete player because he can play in every position and can do everything with a football at any time in a game. He’s a player who scores goals, who builds the play, he’s a sensational player. Steven Gerrard would be the captain of my World XI dream team.

Wayne Rooney (on the best player he has played with for England): I’d have to say Stevie [was the best]. For me he’s an incredible player, an incredible leader. He helped me a lot during my early days with England.

Jose Mourinho: This is my time to honour a champion. It is my time to honour Steve Gerrard. It is with opponents like him that I am the manager that I am, because I learn with my players and I learn with my best opponents. I learn with my players’ problems, my players’ doubts, my players’ qualities and I learn with my best opponent, with the problems they give me – the way they make me think, the way they make me analyse them and studying the best way to play against them. Steven Gerrard is for sure one of my favourite enemies – an enemy with all the good feeling I can express with that word in football. For sure, in England he is my dear enemy. For sure, he is the one that made me a better manager. To stop him or try and stop him has been very, very difficult. I tried to bring him to Chelsea, I tried to bring him to Inter, I tried to bring him to Real Madrid but he was always a dear enemy. I want to honour him and I hope Stamford Bridge has the same feeling as I have, which is we need people like him as our opponents.

Last edited:

academical

Bobby Charlton?
Great player: not in my top 5.

See also: Denis Law, Jim Baxter, Dave Mackay, Danny Blanchflower, Jimmy Johnstone, Martin Peters, Kenny Dalglish, Kevin Keegan, Graeme Souness, Glenn Hoddle, Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer, Ryan Giggs, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, David Beckham, Paul Scholes, Wayne Rooney, Gareth Bale...

BIGBISCUITOOO

Probably Gazza was the most talented but the others were stronger mentally, hence the longevity with their careers. Gazza could do things that none of them could do on the pitch that's why he is held in such high regard, especially from Gers fans as we saw him when he was almost back to his best and clear of injuries. What a sight to behold that was.

dt17

Gerrard wasn't even that well liked, on here. Nor, were Liverpool.

He never, ever won a 'Gerrard, Lampard or Scholes' poll. There were numerous, over the years on FF. He won one, within weeks of joining us.
The small minded on here tend to think that Liverpool = Celtic for some bizarre reason.

FWIW I've always thought it's a toss up between Lampard and Gerrard and have them both in front of Scholes.

I remember for England some managers actually tried to play Scholes out wide to accommodate everyone. Mental.

Bowery Boy

Gazza was more naturally talented but all 3 of those players had better and more successful careers at a higher level. Difficult to argue otherwise I think.

Bowery Boy

The small minded on here tend to think that Liverpool = Celtic for some bizarre reason.

FWIW I've always thought it's a toss up between Lampard and Gerrard and have them both in front of Scholes.

I remember for England some managers actually tried to play Scholes out wide to accommodate everyone. Mental.
Scholes was easily the best of that bunch.

Danger Zone

Love Gerrard and everything but what does a bunch of quotes from his ex team mates and managers really add to the debate? Especially when most of them are merely pointing out that he was a top player, which everyone already knows.

Monts1310

Gerrard was always shifted to left midfield for England.

Gerrard was much better, for me. By a distance. Lampard was a great attacking mid.

Each to their own.

TylerB

Scholes was easily the best of that bunch.
I'm not surprised.

Still don't know why some here have got so worked up just because I rate Gerrard as a better player (overall - not more talented and there is a difference) and questioned whether he made the most of his ability in his career. He was great, he could have been beyond that. That's all I'm saying.

TylerB

Gerrard was always shifted to left midfield for England.

Gerrard was much better, for me. By a distance. Lampard was a great attacking mid.

Each to their own.
Think that does a disservice to Lampard to just call him a great attacking midfielder to be fair.

He's the best goal scoring midfielder of his generation. He was also a super player even without his goals.

Monts1310

Think that does a disservice to Lampard to just call him a great attacking midfielder to be fair.

He's the best goal scoring midfielder of his generation. He was also a super player even without his goals.
Fantastic player.

Each to their own.

VMS

I'm not surprised.

Still don't know why some here have got so worked up just because I rate Gerrard as a better player (overall - not more talented and there is a difference) and questioned whether he made the most of his ability in his career. He was great, he could have been beyond that. That's all I'm saying.
No you were highly disrespectful to a rangers legend and how you have actually survived so long after your comments is baffling,having a opinion is one thing but you overstepped that privilege from your first post I quoted,attention seeker at best

TylerB

Out of all I'd say Gerrard was the most complete in that he could do everything. Scholes was the best technically and the only one of the three that could really control the tempo of a game, the same way that a Xavi and Pirlo could. Lampard wasn't as good as Scholes or as complete as Gerrard but in terms of goals from midfield he's way ahead of the other two.

TylerB

No you were highly disrespectful to a rangers legend and how you have actually survived so long after your comments is baffling,having a opinion is one thing but you overstepped that privilege from your first post I quoted,attention seeker at best
Tell me how it's disrespectful? For a start it's not like Gascoigne will see anything that I write to be offended. But beyond that all I said that he was thick (if you're deeply offended by that then you have genuine issues) and that he has himself to blame for not having the career his talent deserved through poor choices off the field basically.

VMS

Tell me how it's disrespectful? For a start it's not like Gascoigne will see anything that I write to be offended. But beyond that all I said that he was thick (if you're deeply offended by that then you have genuine issues) and that he has himself to blame for not having the career his talent deserved through poor choices off the field basically.
Quote thick as pigs shit and mentality week"
What do you actually do for a living what is your annual salary ,that might determine if you are thick as pig shit

TN8

On natural footballing ability there's no debate to be had, it's Gazza. I don't know if there's been any England player as talented as he was.

Career and achievement wise it would obviously be Gerrard.

Fife Bear

Gerrard far better than Lampard and Scholes for me, always thought this too not just since he became our manager.

Danger Zone

When you look at what some folk get sin binned for on here you’ve got to wonder how some random scouser has managed to get away with slinging insults at bears and insulting a Rangers legend simultaneously. Even leaving that to the side for a moment, the sheer stupidity of attempting to argue about it when he’s not even old enough to have even seen one of them play is more than enough reason for folk to be quickly fed up with him.

Yet after slinging insults, disrespecting Gazza and playground backchat he’s still giving it “what did I do wrong?”.

TylerB

When you look at what some folk get sin binned for on here you’ve got to wonder how some random scouser has managed to get away with slinging insults at bears and insulting a Rangers legend simultaneously. Even leaving that to the side for a moment, the sheer stupidity of attempting to argue about it when he’s not even old enough to have even seen one of them play is more than enough reason for folk to be quickly fed up with him.

Yet after slinging insults, disrespecting Gazza and playground backchat he’s still giving it “what did I do wrong?”.
Christ. Get over yourself you numpty. I won't post here again if it genuinely bothers you that much so nobody has to ban anybody, which is what you've been fishing for, for days now. You absolute sad act. I pity you.

Danger Zone

Christ. Get over yourself you numpty. I won't post here again if it genuinely bothers you that much so nobody has to ban anybody, which is what you've been fishing for, for days now. You absolute sad act. I pity you.
If I wanted to fish for your ban I’d have simply reported your posts. You can start pitying me and calling me a “sad act” when I spend hours arguing about players Ive never watched on the forum of a club I don’t support, otherwise you should focus that pity inward and think about self awareness before digging yourself deeper.

Bowery Boy

I'm not surprised.

You're not surprised by what?

Blue Tack

I think gerrard was obviously a more driven and harder worker than gazza ,watched what he ate and was never really in the news for anything other than his ability ,he wanted to be the best and he worked at it until he was ,Gazza had nowhere near that work rate but crucially he had the god given talent on the pitch which he knew he had and maybe that’s why he wasn’t as driven or wasn’t as hard working and disciplined with his lifestyle ,he knew he had the gift already he didn’t have to work to reach it ,if it’s based on talent then it’s Gazza ,but over the course of 15 yrs or so you’d maybe have stevie g in there for his mentality and discipline .

Expatbear

For me it is Gazza all day long.

During Gerrard's peak although a world class player, he was not universally accepted as the best of the time. Him, Lampard, Scholes, etc. could all claim to be the best CM in England at the time.

During Gazza's peak, albeit for a shorter period, who could claim to be better? The country stopped during Italia 90 largely down to Gazza. Channel 4 started showing Italian football and people watched it largely down to Gazza going to Lazio. When he came to us half the fuckin country dyed their hair ( myself included )

Gazza was bigger than football and I still can't believe he was ours for a while !