Gerrard’s Recruitment Record & Another Summer Overhaul

The reason for the player turnover is the market we're in and the circumstances of the past couple of years - we can't afford or attract the requisite quality.

Warburton and Caixinha signed dross and stuck them on lengthy contracts. We've been unable to shift players and are still paying out wages. This impacts our transfer ability.

Barisic and Grezda are big outlays for us. I'd hang off making judgment for a while on both.

I am.

You put the ones who you thought have been up to speed in bold and threw the rest under a bus :D

I said they are the only 4 who are at the level we need so far which is true. The rest you made up.

For clarity, my issue is with the vast majority of the loans inc. Defoe and Davis, the likes of Lafferty, Flanagan, McAuley and signings of that profile in general, certainly in those numbers.

I said they are the only 4 who are at the level we need so far which is true. The rest you made up.

For clarity, my issue is with the vast majority of the loans inc. Defoe and Davis, the likes of Lafferty, Flanagan, McAuley and signings of that profile in general, certainly in those numbers.
As I said you threw the rest under a bus and basically trashed our managers transfer prowess. I’m only quoting on what You wrote and had no need to make anything up.:D

Putting the points we’ve dropped this season due to tactical naivety and unnecessary squad rotation aside, we have to have a serious look at Gerrard’s recruitment record.

He’s signed 19 players since the summer

GK - McGregor, Firth
DF - Goldson, Worrall, Katic, McAuley, Flanagan, Polster, Barisic
MF - Arfield, Kamara, Davis, Grezda, Kent, Ejaria, Coulibaly
FW - Defoe, Lafferty, Sadiq

Only the 4 in bold have hit anything like the levels needed. You could also argue the Manager didn’t have a great deal to do with bringing in 2 of them. It’s an appalling waste of money and in many cases ignored glaring holes in the squad at centre half and in midfield.

We are back to square one yet again with significant numbers moving on and at least 8/9 players coming in on a limited budget. More if we lose Tav and Morelos. It doesn’t work and isn’t sustainable.

Harsh reality is that the level of improvement needed from Gerrard is enormous. Miles off it.
bit harsh on kamara thought he had a good debut ?

Exactly my point. However, our short term approach to transfers over the last 6 windows has ensured that we are constantly overhauling. It’ll be the same in the summer again.

I fail to see how we become successful until we break that cycle.
Totally agree with you mate.

It’s a list of his signings. It goes without saying that it’s too early to judge some of them. .

Yet you posted this:

He’s signed 19 players since the summer

GK - McGregor, Firth
DF - Goldson, Worrall, Katic, McAuley, Flanagan, Polster, Barisic
MF - Arfield, Kamara, Davis, Grezda, Kent, Ejaria, Coulibaly
FW - Defoe, Lafferty, Sadiq

Only the 4 in bold have hit anything like the levels needed.

You have literally passed your judgement on the players signed.

You, sir, have proven yourself to be starting from a flawed position and as such are not worth engaging with.

Yet you posted this:

You have literally passed your judgement on the players signed.

You, sir, have proven yourself to be starting from a flawed position and as such are not worth engaging with.

Yet you have anyway. I can’t keep spelling out the same point mate. Because only 4 are cutting it to date doesn’t mean the rest have been written off. Pretty clear what I’m criticising.

He had 4 key positions to fill in the summer.

- CH to partner Goldson: clearly doesn’t think Katic is ready for some reason so serves up a bombscare who was 4th choice at Forest and a 38 year old
- No. 10: brings in a kid from Liverpool who couldn’t cope and a bunch of similar type players who offer nothing different to the likes of Jack and McCrorie who were already on our books
- Right Wing: spends £2M on Grezda who arrives injured
- Striker to back/up support Morelos: signs Sadiq, Lafferty who wasn’t good enough the first time around and a his 36 year old mate who can’t play in his preferred system

Most of these were still issues again in January and weren’t addressed. That’s why we are struggling. He’s had more than enough backing to expect a far better success rate than we’ve had to date.

Last edited:
Listen we should be ditching the loanees and prepping this team for next season

That means ditching Worral for katic, ditching Davis for Kamara. Finding a solution right wing should also be high on the agenda, don't know what the youth stock is like ok that department, if we don't secure Kent on a permanent or longer deal then thats another area needing addressed
If the scum win today I'd agree with you and build for next season.

It's shocking that SG spent £2M on Katic and then played a loan player all season.

Add in Grezda and Barisic and you can see that he has not spent the little money he had wisely at all.

Ditch Coulibaly, Worrall, Davis all on loan till the summer and I wouldn’t be to unhappy if they never came back, get Kent permanently or another year. Get Defoe up to March fitness and play to his strengths

Concentrate on what we have in the reserves, Katic, Hardie, Kelly, Rudden etc rather than epl loans unless Leicester will loan us Jonny Evans :)

We’ll lose Morelos & Tavernier IMO so from that income we need to buy a leader and quality.

Give Polster a chance to see what he can do at right back. If not up to it we’ve Houston in reserve.

Get Barisic & Grezda fit after a full pre season, we’ve Jones to come in.

We’re not too far away but we definitely need 3/4 quality first team players

Ditch Coulibaly, Worrall, Davis all on loan till the summer and I wouldn’t be to unhappy if they never came back, get Kent permanently or another year. Get Defoe up to March fitness and play to his strengths

Concentrate on what we have in the reserves, Katic, Hardie, Kelly, Rudden etc rather than epl loans unless Leicester will loan us Jonny Evans :)

We’ll lose Morelos & Tavernier IMO so from that income we need to buy a leader and quality.

Give Polster a chance to see what he can do at right back. If not up to it we’ve Houston in reserve.

Get Barisic & Grezda fit after a full pre season, we’ve Jones to come in.

We’re not too far away but we definitely need 3/4 quality first team players

We need 3/4 for the starting XI now so it’ll be half a new team required if Tav and Morelos go. We shouldn’t be in that position after bringing in so many.

We need 3/4 for the starting XI now so it’ll be half a new team required if Tav and Morelos go. We shouldn’t be in that position after bringing in so many.

No we shouldn’t, a lot of so called experienced players haven’t stepped up, that is difficult to deal with for a manager.

Outwith Coulibaly & worall there isn’t a player in the squad that im not invested in and believe can improve under the right coaching. Are they getting the right coaching now ?

No we shouldn’t, a lot of so called experienced players haven’t stepped up, that is difficult to deal with for a manager.

Outwith Coulibaly & worall there isn’t a player in the squad that im not invested in and believe can improve under the right coaching. Are they getting the right coaching now ?

Not sure. He’s definitely made the team more robust. They’ve shown glimpses of the character required as well. I just think he’s got the profile of his signings, at least half of them, woefully wrong. We are also very one dimensional in our style of play and easy to play against. Sit deep, hit on the break.

Mcgregor
Tav Katic Goldson Barasic
Arfield CM
RW CAM Kent
ST

If Morelos gets sold and we can manage to get Kent back on loan or permanently then I think we need at least 4 first team players. If we could get a creative CAM and RW to go along with Kent then I'd hope games like yesterday would be a thing of the past because at the moment there's a serious lack of creativity in the team.

Our best performance and result of the season was with this team

McGregor

Tav, Goldson, Worrall, Halliday

Candeias, Arfield, Jack, McCrorie, Kent

Morelos

Of that eleven only Goldson was the only permanent signing made by Gerrard.

McGregor and Arfield had already been agreed before Gerrard.

But yeah it’s all Pedro’s and Warbuton’s signings fault.

Some people really need to open their eyes, at the start of the season we brought in 16 players, it’s pretty damning our strongest eleven this season contains more players that were here already.

To be honest yesterday our MOTM was Wes, another Warburton signing.

Warburton improved our squad no end from the dross left from the McCoist era which has set us back about ten years.

Pedro improved Warburton’s squad significantly.

We have spent over £10 million to be 3 points better off at the same point in the league as last season.

For me our biggest issue is still breaking teams down. We only look like losing goals on the breaks and we seem incapable of defending high balls.
I think our back 5 are relatively solid (some minor exceptions) but don’t do enough going forward... too many slow balls and square balls.
An early goal yesterday would’ve made all the difference and that’s the key.
The manager was bob on... too many players looking to Kent and he’s to be the wonder guy.
I look at people like Barisic (yes there’s plenty think he’s shite) who is lacking any confidence at all... look at his debut I think v Motherwell and getting down the line and getting great crosses in.
Again, my own opinion, we don’t score early at Ibrox and the players are scared to take a chance.
Mccrorie bit of an exception yesterday but he’s not got any quality at the end.
Again, love him or hate him, Lafferty made a massive difference when he came on which again to me questions tactics and the Defoe up front himself... not one cross (good or not) was going to be won v those centre halves, and that’s the same as most teams in this league

Just my opinion

There will be like 9 out and possibly 10 in come the summer, hopefully 5 are top notch.
People thinking were getting a 100% success rate in transfers are needing their heeds looked!!
Also some people saying we ain't any better than last season, they also require medical help.

We need loads out and 2/3/4 of proper quality in.

Can’t judge Gerrard totally on last summer, he had so much to do in so little time.

When I thought it would take 2 windows to rebuild the squad it was always 2 summer windows.

January rarely brings in quality players to completely change a season.

Goldson and katic have been good signings

Mcgregor also and kent

The rest have been highly dissaponting and are no better than pedros duds

Who seriously believed that Gerrard would win the league in his first season?,very few. But we moan when this happens. This is a 2-3 year project to win the league,have patience.

Ibe
Listen we should be ditching the loanees and prepping this team for next season

That means ditching Worral for katic, ditching Davis for Kamara. Finding a solution right wing should also be high on the agenda, don't know what the youth stock is like ok that department, if we don't secure Kent on a permanent or longer deal then thats another area needing addressed
I expect Davis will already be signed up for next season the loan will just be a cover for him to get his wages and bonus from Southampton

The manager will be a year more experienced and have learned from a few mistakes he's made.

Does everything he’s learned over the course of the season only get downloaded into him once the season is over, in preparation for the next season starting?

As the evidence so would suggest he’s learned nothing from the mistakes made so far this season, as he’s still making them.

I think we will need to be patient with some who are taking longer to adapt for different reasons.Katic,Barasic and Grezda have ability but they need to settle and produce some consistent form without getting injured especially.
Our injuries are a major concern as there’s just so many of them across the board,and I don’t know how you compensate or fix that?

Goldson,Katic,Barasic,Arfield,Jack,Grezda,Rossiter,Dorrans,Murphy and Kent have all missed a fair lot of games between them at a time when we aren’t strong enough to cope.

Recruitment at Rangers isn't just about the manager now.

We have a technical director in Mark Allen who's supposed to earn his coin.

Steven Davis, Kyle Lafferty (and Allan McGregor as well tbh) were the definition of lazy signings.

That isn't to say they won't work, haven't work, can't work - but they're not exactly undiscovered gems.

We need loads out and 2/3/4 of proper quality in.

Can’t judge Gerrard totally on last summer, he had so much to do in so little time.

I agree, but we needed quality added to the midfield last summer and in the end got a couple of young guys on loan.

Perhaps the feeling then was that Dorrans and Rossiter could make a contribution (no laughing), but it concerned me then that it didn’t appear to be a priority.

We’re all talking about adding 3 or 4 players of genuine quality in the summer, but that’ll cost money, money that’s probably only going to come from selling our best assets, so I’m also worried that we might not be able to add the sort of quality we need, and if we don’t, I fear for Gerrard’s survival to be honest.

Im gutted we lost Murphy. Instead we pinned the hopes on a young boy who burst through to change games for us. I reckon we're two players away.
FFS we drew a game yesterday get the pitchforks away.

But yeah it’s all Pedro’s and Warbuton’s signings fault.

Warburton improved our squad no end from the dross left from the McCoist era which has set us back about ten years.

Pedro improved Warburton’s squad significantly.

We have spent over £10 million to be 3 points better off at the same point in the league as last season.

And you return after a defeat. Welcome back. It's about League position not comparison to last season's points total.

We're still paying wages to the likes of Dodoo, Holt, Herrera and goodness knows the pay-offs for players such as MOH and Forrester.

SG has got more out of the remaining Caixinha and Warburton signings. So you think SG is a better manager?

We aren’t going to spend £12-15M on 4 players mate especially with so many going out the door.

Wallace, Worrall, McAauley, Coulibaly and Davis are all out of contact. I wouldn’t keep any of them so that’s 5 for starters.

We also need to look at moving on the likes of Flanagan, Dorrans, Rossiter and even Lafferty.

We may cash in on Tav and Morelos as well.

Huge changes needed after getting the last 2 windows so wrong.

There’s the basis of something decent in there I agree but not enough that 4 solves it. Our record with the last 19 also highlights how unlikely it is we would even get all 4 right.

I agree with the 9 players you would get rid of mate. Kent is also at the end of his loan & will be a big loss.

This will be a vital window, esp with the risk of losing Alfie & Tav too.

What we need are two things imo -

1. The board get their cash out more than the net 5.5m that Gerrard mentioned, esp after the EL run.
2. Gerrard & Allen need to ensure we have more firepower energy & balance in our squad than we have currently.

If the scum win today I'd agree with you and build for next season.

It's shocking that SG spent £2M on Katic and then played a loan player all season.

Add in Grezda and Barisic and you can see that he has not spent the little money he had wisely at all.

I think we need to give Grezda & Barisic until the January window next year mate. If not impressing by then, I’d support selling them, but it’s unfair to write them off now.

Ibe
I expect Davis will already be signed up for next season the loan will just be a cover for him to get his wages and bonus from Southampton

I'd be surprised if that's the case. More likely to be 'prove yourself in the 6 months and there's another year waiting for you'

Recruitment has been terrible,our best players are ones from the previous manager,have 2 teams with breathing down on us with a fraction of the budget and struggling to compete with other teams with a fraction of our budget,not good honeymoon period is over,expect to see a reaction no fcking excuses here

We have too many players who haven't got a winning mentality.Too many seem to think it's ok to win a few games then lose as is if they are doing well.We need players who know how to win,either by toughing it out or just hammering teams.If players don't have that mentality they shouldn't be here.
Too many mediocre players in the team won't bring us success.

And you return after a defeat. Welcome back. It's about League position not comparison to last season's points total.

We're still paying wages to the likes of Dodoo, Holt, Herrera and goodness knows the pay-offs for players such as MOH and Forrester.

SG has got more out of the remaining Caixinha and Warburton signings. So you think SG is a better manager?

What do you me I return after a defeat, I am on FF almost everyday.

Each to their own but I believe we are domestically no better than last season, the Celtic win being the exception. We are so inconsistent you just cannot say what type of performance the team will give game to game.

After beating Hearts on 2 December SG said something to the effect that he was not concerned about being top of the table but that we kick on - we have done everything but kick on as in the 12 leagues games since that day we have dropped 14 points (2 losses, 4 draws), 2 points more than we dropped in the first 14 league games played.

What I see from Rangers each week is a side more often than not that cannot raise itself to the challenge to beat mediocre opposition. We enteted the winter break level on points at the top of the table, with a realistic chance of the title. Five league games into the return and we are praying for a Killie win later today to avoid our title hopes not being seriously dented for another season. Our performances in the two games in which we dropped points were dire, definitely not that of a team fighting for the big prize. It is fair to say the players were poor in these games but the reality in football is that the manager gets it in the neck when results do not go a teams way so it only natural that some negative comments come SG's way.

I have stated on here many times that SG should get this coming summers transfer window before there is any serious discussion on his future and that is still how I feel. However that does not absolve him from any criticism when things go wrong this season.

The midfield is the worst part of the team for me. It’s also no coincidence it’s the area we’ve barely spent a transfer fee on.

Arfield, Jack, Coullibaly, Davis, Kamara (not judging yet), McCrorie. Not a transfer fee amongst them, now you can unearth the odd Bosman, or youth coming through, but to have the engine of your team cobbled together like that no wonder we’re not winning anything.

It needs addressed in the summer, and Mark Allen has to start earning his money. I’ve been distinctly unimpressed with what he has delivered thus far.

Most of the signings are “lazy” such as Lafferty, Davis, or an aging Defoe. As fans we could have likely picked those out.

We were told how well connected he was when he joined, but for me we are seeing little evidence of that, and the signing policy seems all over the place.

You're missing the point.

Neither From lanagan or McAuley played today. They're not the reason you're on here moaning about Gerrards inability to beat St Johnstone today.What exactly is it that you think youths supplementing the team (which I'm all for) would have improved today or generally in games we've dropped points?

And for a third time, which youths are good enough that we're not promoting already?

We do supplement the squad with youth. Middleton being a prime example. Young Dapo and Kelly given chances too.

There's promise in the youth ranks but no one who is ready is not getting a chance

You want us to sign permanent players? We've signed Grezda & Barisic who fit, exactly, the mould of mid 20s internationals with a rising potential you want and they've contributed as little as any of the players you're criticising.

Theres no one or two window fix here.

Given a better base to start with and a few more quid this summer, we'll improve again.
thats far to sensible and realistic for this message board.we ain’t going to gut the squad in the summer,no club in the world gets rid of the majority of the squad in one summer

Absolutely no pace in the side. Add that to little creativity and you get yesterday's turgid show. Without Morelos you're struggling to see how 3 or 4 goals a game is possible.

signings ? very few successes and lots of mediocrity

between Gerrard and mcallister , 2 very very fine midfielders , it's strange that they can't identify the problem in the team is the midfield .

too many similar , average players and not one able to control a game , pick a pass , take a shot from outside the box or get beyond/between the strikers .

we then go and sign another similar , aging player who looks well off the pace .

What do you me I return after a defeat, I am on FF almost everyday.

Each to their own but I believe we are domestically no better than last season, the Celtic win being the exception. We are so inconsistent you just cannot say what type of performance the team will give game to game.

After beating Hearts on 2 December SG said something to the effect that he was not concerned about being top of the table but that we kick on - we have done everything but kick on as in the 12 leagues games since that day we have dropped 14 points (2 losses, 4 draws), 2 points more than we dropped in the first 14 league games played.

What I see from Rangers each week is a side more often than not that cannot raise itself to the challenge to beat mediocre opposition. We enteted the winter break level on points at the top of the table, with a realistic chance of the title. Five league games into the return and we are praying for a Killie win later today to avoid our title hopes not being seriously dented for another season. Our performances in the two games in which we dropped points were dire, definitely not that of a team fighting for the big prize. It is fair to say the players were poor in these games but the reality in football is that the manager gets it in the neck when results do not go a teams way so it only natural that some negative comments come SG's way.

I have stated on here many times that SG should get this coming summers transfer window before there is any serious discussion on his future and that is still how I feel. However that does not absolve him from any criticism when things go wrong this season.

That's odd. I was quoting someone else - Angry. Not sure why your name appeared.

I don't think anyone is saying there are not justified criticisms. It's the repeated comparisons with Caixinha. The team has markedly improved since last year, irrespective of points.

We're inconsistent because we have too many average players. The squad is in transition.

At some point, we need to let a manager develop a squad and it will take more than 12 months.

We are likely to lose Kent and Morelos in the summer.

Coulibaly, Worrall, Davis will all need replaced. Worrall should be dropped for Katić, he's the future - Worrall isn't.

We have one right sided midfielder who's not good enough on the whole, lack creativity in midfield and should Morelos go, we are left with Defoe and Lafferty.

We will be down to 2 CB's, needing quality in midfield, out wide and up top.

It's another summer of numerous ins and outs.

I agree, but we needed quality added to the midfield last summer and in the end got a couple of young guys on loan.

Perhaps the feeling then was that Dorrans and Rossiter could make a contribution (no laughing), but it concerned me then that it didn’t appear to be a priority.

We’re all talking about adding 3 or 4 players of genuine quality in the summer, but that’ll cost money, money that’s probably only going to come from selling our best assets, so I’m also worried that we might not be able to add the sort of quality we need, and if we don’t, I fear for Gerrard’s survival to be honest.

We don't have the money to buy the required quality in one window. We decided that the majority of the budget be spent on the defence. That's why we've had loans for certain positions. We were always going to rebuild the squad over multiple transfer windows. It's just the reality of our finances.

With the EL money, merchandise revenue and increased sponsorship along with any player sales or board input, we will have a chunk of money that can be used to strengthen areas such as a attacking midfield.

It's frustrating, but the rebuild was always going to be measured as we still recover from the last few years.

We will likely always be in the loan market - too many good players not to
be getting in loans

I expect 2 or 3 loans and 2 or 3 buys most summers.

We have a core group of players that means we can now buy for the first team

The work in terms of depth has been good - we were a state at the end of last season

Back