Gerrard’s Recruitment Record & Another Summer Overhaul

We don't have the money to buy the required quality in one window. We decided that the majority of the budget be spent on the defence. That's why we've had loans for certain positions. We were always going to rebuild the squad over multiple transfer windows. It's just the reality of our finances.

With the EL money, merchandise revenue and increased sponsorship along with any player sales or board input, we will have a chunk of money that can be used to strengthen areas such as a attacking midfield.

It's frustrating, but the rebuild was always going to be measured as we still recover from the last few years.

I think that’s a fair point to an extent, but then you look at the defence, and while it’s improved, Worrall is a guy on loan getting more game time than Katic while McAuley is a veteran who is only there to make up the numbers.

Looking at it, I think it still needs work.

So we’ve that to do this summer as well as adding much better quality to the midfield.

And probably replacing Morelos.

And maybe Tav.

And Kent.

And Candeias.

There’s a hell of a lot still to do actually, so much that we may not be able to squeeze it all in this summer, so while I hear what you’re saying, if there isn’t a marked improvement in our consistency right off the bat next season, the daggers will be out I’m afraid.

We will likely always be in the loan market - too many good players not to
be getting in loans

I expect 2 or 3 loans and 2 or 3 buys most summers.

We have a core group of players that means we can now buy for the first team

The work in terms of depth has been good - we were a state at the end of last season
Can we not use our own youngsters?

Absolutely no pace in the side. Add that to little creativity and you get yesterday's turgid show. Without Morelos you're struggling to see how 3 or 4 goals a game is possible.
i think Kamara will give you creativity and looks like he will be the best midfielder to drive us forward?

Putting the points we’ve dropped this season due to tactical naivety and unnecessary squad rotation aside, we have to have a serious look at Gerrard’s recruitment record.

He’s signed 19 players since the summer

GK - McGregor, Firth
DF - Goldson, Worrall, Katic, McAuley, Flanagan, Polster, Barisic
MF - Arfield, Kamara, Davis, Grezda, Kent, Ejaria, Coulibaly
FW - Defoe, Lafferty, Sadiq

Only the 4 in bold have hit anything like the levels needed. You could also argue the Manager didn’t have a great deal to do with bringing in 2 of them. It’s an appalling waste of money and in many cases ignored glaring holes in the squad at centre half and in midfield.

We are back to square one yet again with significant numbers moving on and at least 8/9 players coming in on a limited budget. More if we lose Tav and Morelos. It doesn’t work and isn’t sustainable.

Harsh reality is that the level of improvement needed from Gerrard is enormous. Miles off it.

You included a guy who played 90 minutes for us and made his debut less than 24 hours ago.

Jog on.

You included a guy who played 90 minutes for us and made his debut less than 24 hours ago.

Jog on.

Covered that one multiple times already.

However, what I would say is that he’s only managed to get a small handful of his signings regularly in the starting XI. We can dress it up any we we like. A woeful return for the outlay backed up by a similar points total to this time last year.

Celtic are playing without any pressure whatsoever. Any time they have felt it, we’ve been unable to sustain it for more than a week.

Last edited:
I think that’s a fair point to an extent, but then you look at the defence, and while it’s improved, Worrall is a guy on loan getting more game time than Katic while McAuley is a veteran who is only there to make up the numbers.

Looking at it, I think it still needs work.

So we’ve that to do this summer as well as adding much better quality to the midfield.

And probably replacing Morelos.

And maybe Tav.

And Kent.

And Candeias.

There’s a hell of a lot still to do actually, so much that we may not be able to squeeze it all in this summer, so while I hear what you’re saying, if there isn’t a marked improvement in our consistency right off the bat next season, the daggers will be out I’m afraid.

For my argument, how good and what players have played in defence isn't really the point. It's simply that the management team felt that the majority of the budget needed to be spent on the defence. Worral and McCauley will be on good money with the former costing a loan fee.

We'll hopefully spend an increased budget raised on other key areas in the summer. However that will be dependant on EL revenue, Merchandise, Sponsorship and player sales.

We aren’t going to spend £12-15M on 4 players mate especially with so many going out the door.

Wallace, Worrall, McAauley, Coulibaly and Davis are all out of contact. I wouldn’t keep any of them so that’s 5 for starters.

We also need to look at moving on the likes of Flanagan, Dorrans, Rossiter and even Lafferty.

We may cash in on Tav and Morelos as well.

Huge changes needed after getting the last 2 windows so wrong.

There’s the basis of something decent in there I agree but not enough that 4 solves it. Our record with the last 19 also highlights how unlikely it is we would even get all 4 right.
Hypothetically speaking mate and if it could be done if you added say Ferguson,Mendes,de Boer and McCann to this team I believe we would probably be top.
Now I know in this day and age them players would cost loads but my point is if you added 4 players of quality to this team It would improve us greatly.
We all know we are lacking quality midfielders and creativity so it up to Gerrard and Allen to find these players.

We aren’t going to spend £12-15M on 4 players mate especially with so many going out the door.

Wallace, Worrall, McAauley, Coulibaly and Davis are all out of contact. I wouldn’t keep any of them so that’s 5 for starters.

We also need to look at moving on the likes of Flanagan, Dorrans, Rossiter and even Lafferty.

We may cash in on Tav and Morelos as well.

Huge changes needed after getting the last 2 windows so wrong.

There’s the basis of something decent in there I agree but not enough that 4 solves it. Our record with the last 19 also highlights how unlikely it is we would even get all 4 right.
Hypothetically speaking mate and if it could be done if you added say Ferguson,Mendes,de Boer and McCann to this team I believe we would probably be top.
Now I know in this day and age them players would cost loads but my point is if you added 4 players of quality to this team It would improve us greatly.
We all know we are lacking quality midfielders and creativity so it up to Gerrard and Allen to find these players.

The team has it in them to get great 1 off results but ask them to go and grind out an unbeaten run seems beyond their capability.
We still have a defeatest outlook and hide when it gets tough, until the phycological outlook is ordered into a winning one then nothing changes on the park no matter who we bring in.

He spent £3.5M on Katic and Grezda and barely uses them so the money argument doesn’t hold much weight.

He’s brought in 19 players. There can be no argument about not backing the Manager. Gerrard has thankfed the board for backing him on a number of ocassions himself.
You make some valid points but according to Stevie G we paid nothing like the reported figures for Grezda and Katic.

Back