Gerrard and the players he didn’t want to sell

We won the league and didn’t back him with a couple of quality signings to get us through the champion league qualifiers.
A couple of Bosmans instead.
That’s the biscuit tin mentality that the rotten mob where known for.
Our inability to produce money from thin air thwarted us again!

Our inability to produce money from thin air thwarted us again!
We were in a bad way financially resulting in us appointing Gerrard an untried manager. He showed he could beat Celtic however our board didn't back him and we're now miles and miles behind again.

We were in a bad way financially resulting in us appointing Gerrard an untried manager. He showed he could beat Celtic however our board didn't back him and we're now miles and miles behind again.
The board did back him. They then, quite literally, ran out of any means to back him anymore.

I don't understand how grown men can't work that out, as well as FFP watching us like a hawk.

Seeing you repeat the same thing over and over again and just simply chosing to ignore how much of an impossibility it was to even try and blindly back him again is like watching an immature high school kid shout the loudest when he's clearly wrong.

You're either genuinely clueless, or you're ignoring clear and obvious facts that completely disprove what you think could have happened.

The board did back him. They then, quite literally, ran out of any means to back him anymore.

I don't understand how grown men can't work that out, as well as FFP watching us like a hawk.

Seeing you repeat the same thing over and over again and just simply chosing to ignore how much of an impossibility it was to even try and blindly back him again is like watching an immature high school kid shout the loudest when he's clearly wrong.

You're either genuinely clueless, or you're ignoring clear and obvious facts that completely disprove what you think could have happened.
Keep telling yourself that whilst watching Celtic rack up title after title. 2 wins from 15 against them since Gerrard left or are you in denial.

Keep telling yourself that whilst watching Celtic rack up title after title. 2 wins from 15 against them since Gerrard left or are you in denial.
Keep telling myself what? Are you implying that they did have money and just decided to f*ck over Gerrard?

Yes as he had to much say in the running of our club and they needed shot of him.
So the board were unhappy Gerrard brought standards back to the club, were unhappy with the performances in Europe and winning the league as a result?

And this board came up with this elaborate plan to just pretend we didn't have any money left to get rid of him?

It's just complete garbage, isn't it?

So the board were unhappy Gerrard brought standards back to the club, were unhappy with the performances in Europe and winning the league as a result?

And this board came up with this elaborate plan to just pretend we didn't have any money left to get rid of him?

It's just complete garbage, isn't it?
Yes it is

What isn't garbage though is our board didn't back him after winning the title and due to that we're now miles behind.

Yes it is

What isn't garbage though is our board didn't back him
No money to back him. Its really easy to understand.

Gio had to sell, Beale had to sell, Clement will have to sell. This is all completely necessary with ffp hovering about.

Do you deny ffp are watching our spending too?

No money to back him. Its really easy to understand.

Gio had to sell, Beale had to sell, Clement will have to sell. This is all completely necessary with ffp hovering about.

Do you deny ffp are watching our spending too?
Yet Celtic never seem hampered with this nonsense. We're now miles behind because we didn't back Gerrard.

Our Board didn’t back him ?

Gerrard inherited a squad containing the likes of Foderingham, Tav, Wallace, Jack, McCrorie, Dorrans, Candeias, Morelos, Alnwick, Holt, Halliday, Docherty, Middleton, Mayo

He signed Arfield, McGregor, Murphy, Katic, Goldson, Flanagan, Barisic, Lafferty, Grezda, McAuley, Firth, Kent, Defoe, Davis, Polster, Kamara, Hastie, Jones, Stewart, Edmundson, Aribo, Helander, Barker, Hagi, Bassey, McLaughlin, Balogun, Roofe, Itten, Simpson, Wright, Ofoborh, Bacuna, Sakala, Lundstram,

Brought in Loans of
Worrall, Ejaria, Coulibally, Sadiq, Ojo, King, Kamberi, Zungu,

Those 34 players in bold walked or will walk out our doors generating zero. How much did celtic generate through sales during the period Gerrard was with us ? They traded when player values were high

Goldson if not sold during the summer will be another.
We lost £1million on Katic
We lost £1.5million on Grezda
We lost £1million on Itten

Who did Gerrard actually sell, and make a profit, which player do we have he brought through the academy and played regularly.

How about beating celtic isn’t the be all and end all, had we not shat the bed v Motherwell, Ross County and Dundee recently we could have conceivably won the league this season without beating them.

What was Gerrard’s record v Aberdeen and Kilmarnock ? Was it two wins in ten his first season ?

There is a reason we won one trophy out of 9(10) under Gerrard, you have to beat other teams too. St Johnstone won more trophies than us during Gerrard’s time with us.

Yes he stopped celtic winning ten in a row but let’s not try rewrite history.

Last edited:
How was Gerrard's record against Celtic and as fans are we finding where we are now acceptable?
I don’t really know what that question has to do with anything I asked in the OP but I’ll answer from my point of view anyway.

His record was good against them, but I’d say slightly clouded by the fact we put a run together against them when they imploded. Before that season it was probably 50-50.

I certainly don’t think it’s acceptable and if I was going to Ibrox tonight I’d be showing that.

Last edited:
How likely is that in your opinion?
This current crop, with no injuries and a pre season it’s completely luck of the draw. However following on from the managers comments in the press conference I expect a fair few new faces to be lining up in the cl qualifiers next season and I will back the team to qualify

There's no debating tinfoil crackpots on this thread.Remember the poster UnionBear who's theory was DP stole all the CL money and put it in his own pocket and he could prove it?Now we have DP and the board coming up with grand plan to %^*& SG over. This is what we sane people are up against.

Bomb proof Stevie G for some. He dragged us back to credibility but he was given time to do it.
He couldn’t wait to get back to England, eff all to do with players staying or leaving
You are absolutely correct - He was given TIME to do it, although I still maintain that, if it hadn’t been for COVID, he may well have been on his way in the summer of 2020.

Any manager of decent experience would’ve understood that we had to sell in order to reinvest.

I still maintain 1-2 of our core guys in 2020-21 should’ve been sold, which now in 2024 reveals itself in that our squad average age is far too old.

Any 2 of Kamara, Barisic, Goldson, Aribo, Kent, Morelos, Hagi - could’ve seen us go again.

He absolutely blew it against a really, really pïsh Malmo side though. So he can’t really have any complaints.

Unfortunately he never stayed to cement his legacy and chased cash instead of staying at the biggest managerial job he will ever have.
The board promised to back him then reneged on it and Park wanted out with his cash. Gerrard got the hump and left.

Maybe but my thinking is the board of the time did not match his ambition and perhaps King eluded to that?
King was part of the problem why Park and Bennett had to plug a £23million gap which meant we didn't have a pot to piss in .He signed Kent and left others to foot the bill.

King was part of the problem why Park and Bennett had to plug a £23million gap.He signed Kent and left others to foot the bill.
Maybe so si72 but I was thinking about Gerrard and why he abruptly left having said what he said in the infamous interview!

Maybe but my thinking is the board of the time did not match his ambition and perhaps King eluded to that?
We didn't have the resources to match his ambition and he obviously wasn't keen on cashing in on any of our assets at the time.

If he managed to navigate us past 10 man Malmo at Ibrox things might have been different.

We seem to revisit that summer every couple of months on here.

We didn't have the resources to match his ambition and he obviously wasn't keen on cashing in on any of our assets at the time.

If he managed to navigate us past 10 man Malmo at Ibrox things might have been different.

We seem to revisit that summer every couple of months on here.
Especially after a defeat to that mob.Its all a bit King like.When it's doom n gloom the knives are out for DP.

Yet Celtic never seem hampered with this nonsense. We're now miles behind because we didn't back Gerrard.
Celtic aren’t hampered with ffp cause they sell players. Every season for the last how many years have they made over £20-30m in transfer fees.

I don’t know the fees but jota, eduourd, ajer, tierney, dembele and this year will likely see o Reilly going for similar numbers. O Reilly cost them 1.5m, Aaron Ramsey apparently cost us £2m and Sam Lammers cost us 3.5m

Your thinking is wrong. Gerard is one of the most over rated managers we’ve ever had and has failed to deliver elsewhere .
Gerard wanted to keep players and the Board accepted that. This incredible Veerman guy is still at PSV so not sure why he was a “line in the sand” when there were dozens of players available equal or better.
DK should keep out of it now unless he’s got anything positive to say. He decided he wanted to walk and sell his shares, as is his right, but he should leave the Board in peace now.

Our Board didn’t back him ?

Gerrard inherited a squad containing the likes of Foderingham, Tav, Wallace, Jack, McCrorie, Dorrans, Candeias, Morelos, Alnwick, Holt, Halliday, Docherty, Middleton, Mayo

He signed Arfield, McGregor, Murphy, Katic, Goldson, Flanagan, Barisic, Lafferty, Grezda, McAuley, Firth, Kent, Defoe, Davis, Polster, Kamara, Hastie, Jones, Stewart, Edmundson, Aribo, Helander, Barker, Hagi, Bassey, McLaughlin, Balogun, Roofe, Itten, Simpson, Wright, Ofoborh, Bacuna, Sakala, Lundstram,

Brought in Loans of
Worrall, Ejaria, Coulibally, Sadiq, Ojo, King, Kamberi, Zungu,

Those 34 players in bold walked or will walk out our doors generating zero. How much did celtic generate through sales during the period Gerrard was with us ? They traded when player values were high

Goldson if not sold during the summer will be another.
We lost £1million on Katic
We lost £1.5million on Grezda
We lost £1million on Itten

Who did Gerrard actually sell, and make a profit, which player do we have he brought through the academy and played regularly.

How about beating celtic isn’t the be all and end all, had we not shat the bed v Motherwell, Ross County and Dundee recently we could have conceivably won the league this season without beating them.

What was Gerrard’s record v Aberdeen and Kilmarnock ? Was it two wins in ten his first season ?

There is a reason we won one trophy out of 9(10) under Gerrard, you have to beat other teams too. St Johnstone won more trophies than us during Gerrard’s time with us.

Yes he stopped celtic winning ten in a row but let’s not try rewrite history.
Does that not show we were clearly investing building a team towards becoming champions and when we achieved that and then we stood still. We should've built from where we were as champions but we didn't and we now find ourselves back to where we were with a squad of players that look terrified of Celtic and can't beat them.

To be fair to the board over the last several years they have backed managers to a decent level the big problem is it’s been absolutely wasted by having absolutely no strategy at all to go along with it.

Allowing a complete novice total control over transfers with a strategy of simply the players were good when spotted several years back. I genuinely don’t think Gio had much say over transfers either and was hung out to dry by a truly embarrassing summer window.

Our board could invest £150m the problem is they genuinely don’t seem to have any idea how to spend it properly.

Like I thought. Clueless.
What isn't clueless is we're now miles behind and if you find that acceptable that's up to you. I think you'd agree that Celtic are a very poor side and we've just given them another champions league jackpot. If we had invested properly from being champions we wouldn't be in this position.

I always said that if Gerrard got us to 55 he would forever be a legend in my eyes.

A great deal of the success he had with us was through instilling his own determination and standards - That enthusiasm was dampened with the transfer window that followed the league win.

He realised it wasn't going to get any better and left.

What isn't clueless is we're now miles behind and if you find that acceptable that's up to you. I think you'd agree that Celtic are a very poor side and we've just given them another champions league jackpot. If we had invested properly from being champions we wouldn't be in this position.

The scary thing is we currently have the biggest wage bill in the league it’s not like the yahoos are miles ahead in that department like from 2016-2019 etc. We’ve spent a combined £84,000,000 on wages over the past two seasons to barely lay a glove on the yahoos that’s absolutely frightening.

You’d be hard pressed to find a club in any league in Europe with the highest wage bill in the country getting so regularly pumped by it’s main rivals.

We’re basically 2-0 down against that lot before a ball is kicked now cause our defence is made of jelly and simply forgets how to do the most basic things against them.

The scary thing is we currently have the biggest wage bill in the league it’s not like the yahoos are miles ahead in that department like from 2016-2019 etc. We’ve spent a combined £84,000,000 on wages over the past two seasons to barely lay a glove on the yahoos that’s absolutely frightening.

You’d be hard pressed to find a club in any league in Europe with the highest wage bill in the country getting so regularly pumped by it’s main rivals.

We’re basically 2-0 down against that lot before a ball is kicked now cause our defence is made of jelly and simply forgets how to do the most basic things against them.
Sobering.

He was given more patience than any other manager in our history and delivered one trophy in three seasons. Even then it was more down to the only other horse in the race completely imploding.
And a group of players who are renowned for collapsing like an ikea wardrobe under pressure playing a full season in front of empty stadia.

It really was the perfect storm of a season for us.

That's mad the amount we've spent on wages over 2 years. It's fair to say we've not had value for money.

Does that not show we were clearly investing building a team towards becoming champions and when we achieved that and then we stood still. We should've built from where we were as champions but we didn't and we now find ourselves back to where we were with a squad of players that look terrified of Celtic and can't beat them.

We were so far in front it during 55 it was not us needing an overhaul, just freshen up and improve the players we had.

Celtic weren’t having major overhauls when winning quadruple trebles, it was minimal changes to their best 11.

Gerrard knew we were on UEFA Financial Fair Play watch list, he knew we had to increase revenue to add to his already bloated squad, It was either sell a player to buy a player or hit the Champions League jackpot button, he did neither, he wanted his cake and to eat it.

Kent £7million
Roofe £4million
Hagi £4million
Helander £3.5million

All out the door for nothing

We could’ve got £12-16million for Morelos, we had to take minimum transfer fees for Aribo and Kamara.

Celtic take hits on players but they let far less just wind down their contracts, as examples
Frimpong in £1million out a season later £11million plus add ons they are about to cash in on
Juranovic in £2.5 million out 18 months later £8million
Giakoumakis in £2.5 million out a season later £4million

Jota £25million, Ajer £14million

I don't really blame him for leaving. The board never matched his ambitions after 55. Nobody knows who made the decision not to sell our assets.
I believe SG was always using us as a stepping to the EPL and presumably his ultimate aim was to succeed Klopp at Liverpool.
The board could never satisfy his ambitions regardless of the transfer pot they could accrue.

I believe SG was always using us as a stepping to the EPL and presumably his ultimate aim was to succeed Klopp at Liverpool.
The board could never satisfy his ambitions regardless of the transfer pot they could accrue.
I suspect we were a stepping stone and Gerrard would've left at some point. I'm not sure satisfying Gerrard should've been the be all and end all. We needed to push on and failed to do so. We are now back at square one and I don't see them collapsing anytime soon. I'd also find it worrying if we can't match any managers ambitions because if we don't drive for success where does that leave us.

It's the 'didn't back Gerrard' part.

Clueless.

I'm sure I said after winning the title. We had put ourselves in a great position and failed to push on.
Because we had no money. Not only did we not have money, we were negative 20+ million.

Where do you think this imaginary money was if they weren't giving it to Gerrard?

No I think it's about backing a manager that has the ability to beat them. Gerrard had the ability to beat them and since we refused to back him our record against them is atrocious.
How was Gerrard's record against Celtic and as fans are we finding where we are now acceptable?

What was Gerrard’s record in his first 6 games v Celtic ?

How many goals did we score in they 6 games.

Other than Gerrard who was our last manager to get 6 games v celtic.

What was Gerrard’s record in his first 6 games v Celtic ?

How many goals did we score in they 6 games.

Other than Gerrard who was our last manager to get 6 games v celtic.
What was his record in first 6 games? I do know prior to his arrival we were getting severe hammering from them.

It's obvious we should have sold players and reinvested that summer. It was the first test of Rangers as a successful club with a trading model and we failed it at the first time of asking.

Back