Gerrard linked with move for Tavernier and Goldson

Stevie G must be bored out of his tits in that shit-hole Saudi backwater.

I'm sure there's all sorts of shenanigans going on with finances.

If I was a Gers director with contact to Stevie, I'd be suggesting that he offer stupid money for a couple of our players, Tav, Goldson or others, with a promised kick-back, that can be paid back further down the road, for ambassadorial services, or whatever,

Bankrupt those morally bankrupt c*nts, and fund the Rangers re-build Stevie. You know it makes sense.

Steven Gerrard has launched a move to team up with Rangers skipper James Tavernier in next season’s Saudi Pro League.

And the former Ibrox boss is also believed to be closely monitoring the situation of Connor Goldson as he mulls over a potential double swoop on his old club this summer. Record Sport revealed speculation linking Tavernier with his former boss - which stretches back almost 12 months to Gerrard’s shock appointment at Al-Ettifaq - has been building again in recent weeks.

On Wednesday multiple outlets across the Persian Gulf state began reporting that a deal for the 32-year-old could be thrashed out after Scotland’s domestic campaign reaches a thrilling climax when the Old Firm go head-to-head at Hampden in the Scottish Cup Final on May 25. While Goldson’s name was not mentioned in those initial reports, it’s understood Gerrard is keen on being reunited with the man he lured north from Brighton six years ago to form a title winning partnership with Tavernier on the right hand side of his Rangers back four
"Record sport revealed speculation ' tells you all you need to know

Tav might be worth £10m+ to us in terms of his contribution but no one other than a team in a pish league with money to burn is paying that for a 33 year old. If they offered a sizeable fee I’d be inclined to take it.
I also think this has to be Goldson’s last season at Rangers wherever he ends up.

Another one of Tav's talents is he always manages to be a year older than his actual age.

If we could get anything north of £12 million for the two of them then I’d bite their hand off.

Unfortunately, do I believe the story ? Nope.

Tavernier is worth at the very least £10m to us, despite his age and shortfalls in his defending ability, his goals and assists are almost worth their weight in gold and still could be come the end of May.

Goldson should really be worth in the £5-7m mark, again considering his age and defensive shortfalls. That being said, he’s been a hugely consistent player for us and always wants to be available but he has let us down on a few occasions when we’ve needed him to be big.

They’ve had a good time here, great memories and some bad as well, they’ve earned a move that will secure their lives after football and id personally welcome a move for both to let the manger find a proper revolution and bring in fresh faces that will hopefully elevate the club.
There is no way we are getting £10 million for Tav. Pure fantasy.

When was the last time a manager left us or that lot and actually signed one of their old players?

The amount of times you see stories of managers supposedly planning a "swoop" on their old club yet it pretty much never happens.
Gordon Strachan absolutely destroyed Boro.

There is no way we are getting £10 million for Tav. Pure fantasy.
We should be if a bids coming from Saudi.

We wouldn’t get it from England or anywhere else but if you’re dealing with the Saudis and they are throwing money around, then that’s what I’d be asking for. I meant it in the context of the Saudis bidding, I don’t think I specified that.

Bids from anywhere else and we would be halfing the numbers I said for both, maybe less.

In anycase, given his numbers over the last 8/9 years since he’s been at the club, he would still be worth a decent amount of money.

Heard that both will be leaving in the summer but was told Tav is going to Saudi. Good thing is that both are under contract so we will get decent money to reinvest.

Imagine we were a normal team who relied on midfielders and attackers for goals and assists.

Just a thought.

We should be doing that anyway. The tactics aren't exactly "pass it to Tav."

It's just our recruitment and the players we have aren't capable of filling that void.

And that's a huge worry. We've had years to add goals to the midfield and wide positions and failed consistently.

Both under contract until 2026 so best time to sell is this summer.

This is the most relevant point here. Time is right to say thanks for their service - which over their period at Rangers has been phenomenal, especially Tav’s assist and goal count - and sell if we can get a decent fee from Saudi or indeed anywhere else. Fair play if they want a big payday for the latter days of their career, but our club needs that also.

Heard that both will be leaving in the summer but was told Tav is going to Saudi. Good thing is that both are under contract so we will get decent money to reinvest.
Not disputing you have heard something BG, but was this from a source, ITK type, or random group chats on WhatsApp or other social media platforms?

Anything less than £20m then no thanks.

Personally I reckon both will still be first choice starters next season no matter what we all think should happen.

Probably a load of pish anyway.

Both under contract until 2026 so best time to sell is this summer.
totally agree
Creag Robertson said at the fans forum "Succession planning, player contracts and player recruitment is vital for us."
add to this Clement commenting previous on how unacceptable it was to have so many players going into last 6 months, most players now reaching final 2 years of contract will either be offered a new contract or sold with some exceptions. Tav and Goldson will be on top money and cant see them being offered a new contract so good chance they could be sold this summer.

Moving them on and getting money in for them while we can HAS to be the best move for the club.
the wages of

Mclaughlin
Barisic
Goldson
Tavernier
Davies
Lundstram
Jack
Raskin
Dowell
Hagi
Cifuentes
Lammers
Wright
Roofe
Silva

must add upto not far off 300 to 350 thousand a week.
Sima and Cortes wages could also be added. We should have a bit more room this summer than maybe expected.

the wages of

Mclaughlin
Barisic
Goldson
Tavernier
Davies
Lundstram
Jack
Raskin
Dowell
Hagi
Cifuentes
Lammers
Wright
Roofe
Silva

must add upto not far off 300 to 350 thousand a week.
Sima and Cortes wages could also be added. We should have a bit more room this summer than maybe expected.

Excellent.

Hopefully true altho we will miss Tav's goals and assists contributions.

They both have defensive faults and are getting on in years. Would be a great time to cash in.

I think we will only get 5 or 6 million for both of them but hopefully I am wrong.

We'd probably need an offer of £10m to make it worthwhile selling Tavernier tbh.

Reason being we'd need another right back even if we saw Sterling as the natural successor and Devine isn't going to be good enough. On top of that, if we did see Sterling as the successor then that means we need other players to cover for Sterlings versatility as he wouldn't be able to be moved if he was first choice right back which leaves us light in other areas. So that's a few million right off the bat even before you consider his output in terms of goals and assists. So it needs to be a silly offer otherwise it makes more sense just to keep him.

We aren’t holding out for £10m given Tavernier given turns 33 this year. Half that would do it.

Not having a go at you as you may have a source.

But generally this ‘I was told’ is from someone who’s read in the paper, or online, or had a WhatsApp about the scenario.

Whoever was told that isn’t wrong in saying what they were told but generally it’s from someone down the boozer who will have no knowledge of the situation

IF true then I would be disappointed to see Tav go, I think next season he could still be a big player for us but we need to have his replacement in the squad getting games and slowly phase Tav out.

Goldson as much as I think he has been our best centre back I think his time is up

I’d accept decent money for them, Now’s probably the best time to part ways with both of them. Hold on any longer then we probably wouldn’t get a fee.

A whole new back line is what I have been hoping for, for a while.

This summer would be the perfect opportunity to do that.

Come on Stevie - get that Saudi wallet out.

Back