Gerrard on Summer recruitment We Need a Bit Of Magic.

We are losing 3 first team regular in the summer; Worrall, Kent and Morelos (of he goes?).

We need more than 3/4 additions unless we intend on sticking with the likes of Candeias, Jack, Arfield, Barišić... every game.
This is a worry. We need to sign 3 players just to maintain our also ran level.
This team needs 6 or 7 new players of decent quality. We ain't getting that.

This is a worry. We need to sign 3 players just to maintain our also ran level.
This team needs 6 or 7 new players of decent quality. We ain't getting that.

No. At a push we might get a couple, but I’d say the term ‘quality’ is probably going to be fairly subjective.

I don't think the team is that bad, Our lack of goals is making the rest of the team look worse. I think we are a Quality Centre Half, Attacking Midfielder and Right Winger away from being very capable of winning the league. That is as long as we dont lose any players and keep kent. Only Problem is we may need the morelos money to fund this, as quality to make a difference for us is in the 4-5 Million Bracket.

Mcgregor
I
Tav
Goldson
Quality Centre Half
Barisic (think he will come good, Ricksen Struggled first year or so)

Jack
Kamara
Quality Attacking Midfielder.

Kent
Morelos
Quality Right Mid.

When you say lack of goals, I agree to an extent. But consider this, how often have we scored 1 or 2 this season? Not very often, we tend to be feast or famine. We've scored one less goal than them all season, we've both only lost 4 games. The 8 point gap is a fallacy, we are much closer than it indicates.

"There needed to be a squad overhaul when I arrived. There will be change and better players to add more quality but I don't expect the same in terms of numbers, we need a bit of magic and a few key additions"

From Todays Press Conference, Think this will be the most important Purchase this summer. Think we need to spend 4-5 Million on this player. Any Suggestions?
Exactly what I’ve been saying more or less all year,we are close to having a good team but we are 3/4 first team players away from winning league in my opinion and Gerrard clearly knows this.
In my opinion we need to change jack,arfield,Candeias and Barisic with upgrades.
Not saying they are bad players and have played well in some games this season but upgrades are needed if we are to challenge.

RE: Steven Davis.

He can't even get a start when both Arfield and Jack are carrying knocks. There is absolutely no point in him being here seaon.
Agree. He is not the player we thought we were getting sadly. Interesting to see how this pans out though, because I felt the deal for next season was already agreed and this loan was so he could still get his pay off when his contract with Southampton ends.

Last edited:
Rangers are at home to Kilmarnock on Saturday, whose recent experience in a Scottish Cup replay at Ibrox was bruising. Rangers’ subsequent loss to Aberdeen in a quarter-final replay promoted much comment on Steven Gerrard’s progress as a rookie manager.

He responded with a promise of better to come. “I can guarantee you that I will improve personally moving forward,” he said.

“I’m well aware of the job I signed up for. I know after a few bad results pundits and keyboard wizards will always be there. That’s fine.

“There had to be a lot of change when I took over in the job. I knew I wasn’t going to sort the problem out in one transfer window – not even two – but without a doubt we’ve moved forward, we’ve improved.

“Players that were here before have raised their game. Players that we’ve brought in - the majority - have stood up and done really well.”

Gerrard insisted Boyd’s remarks won’t bother Allen - and he also urged full-back Borna Barisic to prove the Rugby Park veteran wrong.

The Sky Sports pundit reckons the Croatian defender “doesn’t want to be at Rangers”.

Gerrard said: “Players have got mobile phones - the media’s in their hand.

“They’ll know what pundits and ex-players have said towards them personally.

“I’m sure Borna will be aware of what Kris has said.

“I don’t think Mark Allen will care too much about what Kris has said.”

Allen left his post as Man City’s academy director in June 2017 to take up his Gers role.

The Liverpool icon added: “He’s done an incredible job since he walked through the door.

“When he came in, there needed to be a lot of changes in the team, in the squad, in the staff, at Ibrox, at the training ground.

“He’s doing everything he can to improve things

“If you look at where the club is now compared to what he walked into, he should be applauded for the job he’s done.

“I don’t think Mark will be too worried about what other people think about him.

“But if I was Borna, I’m sure he can find the piece and it’s up to Borna if he wants to comment on what Kris said or if he wants to show in his performances that Kris is wrong

“That’s up to Borna, it’s not up to me.”

STEVEN GERRARD claimed Rangers was TOXIC when he became Ibrox boss last summer.

But Gerrard insists he is the man to turn the club around.

Gerrard admits that Rangers’ woes were worse than expected but he is still up for the challenge

Gers, knocked out of the Scottish Cup by Aberdeen in midweek trail Celtic by eight points in the Premiership.

Gerrard is convinced there HAS been improvement since he took over — but the Ibrox gaffer admits he needs more time to make the impact he wants.

Boss Gerrard said: “I’ve taken over a team and a club that’s been going through a lot of pain, that’s been quite toxic.

“It needs a lot of change on and off the pitch.

“We’ve done everything we can to try and improve things and sort things in one transfer window.

“We have then tried to add to it in the second transfer window.

“We need a bit more time to continue moving it forward, to improve it.

“In some of the areas I’ve mentioned, I will address it.

“I don’t want to put a day on it, I don’t want to put a month on it.

“I understand we have a set of supporters — and a board — where results will dictate the speed of it. I’m well aware of that.

“I’m not going to sit here and say I need four or five years blah, blah, blah.

“I want to address it yesterday, I want to improve it yesterday, and I’m doing everything I can to improve us in every single department yesterday.

“But the reality is that it was such a big job with a lot of change and a lot of improvement needed. It’s very difficult to do that in eight or nine months.

“We are better, we have improved. We have shown that at certain times and certain stages of the season.

“But the reality is that I need to improve it more — and I will improve it more.

“We WILL get it right, I’m still confident and I haven’t lost any of that belief.

“I have been down, I’ve been flat since the Aberdeen result. I feel as if we have let the supporters down, collectively.

"I’ll protect the players from a lot of that if I can, but the reality is the players need to show the supporters on Saturday that they care, first and foremost.

“Those fans need to see a reaction. The players need to show the supporters what the supporters want to see.

“That’s what we need to do short-term — to get a win and make everybody feel better.

“Then we have to try and finish the season as strongly as we can. Then when I get the next big chance to improve us, I will do that.”

Gerrard refuses to shirk from the challenge of being Rangers boss, and accepts he’s under pressure to win silverware, including from chairman Dave King.

He added: “That’s something I can’t control. That’s got to be going round Dave King’s head and the board’s head. That’s fine.

“I’m comfortable in what I’m trying to do here.

“I’m comfortable in the job I’ve done so far. Can we be better? Yes. Me personally? Yes, of course. But my mentality is I need to try and win the next thing.”

Steven Gerrard has vowed to take Rangers from toxic to trophy winners or pay the ultimate price by the end of next season.

The Ibrox boss literally stuck two fingers up at father time as he admitted he has the next 12 months to deliver - or else.

Rangers have been bundled out of two cup competitions by Aberdeen this season and trail Celtic by eight points in the Premiership.

Gerrard revealed moves are already under way to end the glaring inconsistencies in performances that have blighted his first season in management.

He has questioned the character of some of his first team squad and pledged to ditch them and add winners, even if he signed the under-achievers in the first place.

It was a no-holds barred assessment of his first eight months in charge, but the former England skipper remains convinced he will deliver on fan expectation.

He said: “We need more leaders. We need more people who can manage games better and we need more quality.

“There are quite a few big areas I need to address moving forward. I will address it, but the reality is that’s where Rangers are at the moment.

“I’ve taken over a team and a club that’s been going through a lot of pain, that’s been quite toxic.

“It needs a lot of change on and off the pitch and we need a bit more time to continue moving it forward to improve it.

“I’m well aware we have a set of supporters - and a board - where results will dictate the speed of of it.

“I’ll never sit here and say it’s a project and I need four or five years. No, no, no. I don’t want to be part of a project.

“I want to address it yesterday and I’m doing everything I can to improve us in every single department yesterday.

“But the reality is it was such a big job with a lot of change and improvement needed. It’s very difficult to do that in eight or nine months.

“Of course, there has to be an element of patience. Everyone who is educated about the game knows Rome wasn’t built in a day and the size of the job I took over.

“But we are at a club that demands we need to win now and I’m here to win the next thing that’s available. The players need to understand that and my message to the fans is that’s my thinking.

“If I don’t win the next three or four things that are available maybe I won’t be here speaking to you. I’m aware of that. So it’s (flicks a v-sign) to the project. I want to win the next thing. That’s my mentality. The next thing.”

Rangers entertain Kilmarnock on Saturday and games against Steve Clarke’s side so far have summed up their season.

Rangers gave two of their best performances of the campaign against Killie in the League and Scottish Cup, but two of their worst in the league, including a 2-1 defeat in Ayrshire.

Gerrard added: “We are better, we have improved. We have shown that at certain times but the reality is I need to improve it more - and I will.

“We will get it right, I’m still confident and I haven’t lost any of that belief. I have been down, I’ve been flat since the Aberdeen result.

“I feel as if we’ve let the supporters down collectively. I’ll protect the players from a lot of that but they need to show the supporters against Kilmarnock that they care.”

Agree. He is not the player we thought we were getting sadly. Interesting to see how this pan's out though, because I felt the deal for next season was already agreed and this loan was so he could still get his pay off when his contract with Southampton ends.
That's exactly what's happened he'll be here next season. He should be played in a deep lying playmaker role if we want to make him as effective as possible and I wouldn't mind dropping Jack for a few games to give Davis a proper crack at it

That's exactly what's happened he'll be here next season. He should be played in a deep lying playmaker role if we want to make him as effective as possible and I wouldn't mind dropping Jack for a few games to give Davis a proper crack at it
Given his lack of games I can forgive that he's a yard off the pace and needs time to get match fit but he's been indecisive and so uncertain when in possession, which is more of a concern to me.

Given his lack of games I can forgive that he's a yard off the pace and needs time to get match fit but he's been indecisive and so uncertain when in possession, which is more of a concern to me.
Got to remember it's a new team he's playing for. Playmakers have to be the smartest players on the park. He needs to understand his teammates know where they're gonna run too and where they like the ball to be played too. If given the chance a think he can be a big player for us once he's settled possibly maybe not until next season though

Got to remember it's a new team he's playing for. Playmakers have to be the smartest players on the park. He needs to understand his teammates know where they're gonna run too and where they like the ball to be played too. If given the chance a think he can be a big player for us once he's settled possibly maybe not until next season though
Goes without saying that I hope you're right. I thought his signing in January was exactly what we needed to push on and mount a serious challenge, it's been painful to watch him looking so out of sorts.

Flogging a dead horse, I admire your backing of Davis but if he was that good he would Be playing. As for understanding his team mates, It's football not rocket science

I still think Barisic & Grezda will come good next season.

And I think they'll both be oot the door.

To succeed at Rangers you need to have something about you, a bit of character, or, more importantly, a pair of balls.

Neither of these two players have a future at Ibrox if we're serious about challenging for the title. They are both weak and lily-livered.

The problem with signing players with that bit of “magic” is they cost £5m plus and £20,000-25,000 a week in wages these days and that’s being conservative.

Even if we get a huge fee for Morelos signing two top quality players on a 3-4 year deal pretty much wipes out whatever we get in.

As much as I have my doubts about the manager truthfully we need more outsider investment and soon if we want to win the title back a wage bill of £45m+ is the minimum we need considering the scum have one of £60m per season.
But within that 60 million they waste huge amounts on the sheer numbers they have.
If we spend Wisley and get I first 11 players we don't need to be any where near 45 million.
We have 4 right wingers now 6 holding mids that's money wasted

Back