Gerrard playing Jones and Flannigan

I liked the way Flanagan was quick to protect Morelos when it looked like Big Buff might get involved. I thought it was a very experienced performance from Flanagan tonight. Knows what’s required.

I think we’re doing flanno a disservice on this thread.

Yes he’s hard as feck and likes a tackle but I thought his calmness in possession and passing out from right back were excellent tonight. Maybe the best I’ve seen from him in this respect.

He is a good solid old fashioned left back who can defend well ,let the other players in front do the fancy stuff and let him do his stuff.
That will do for me

See what you get with Flanagan solid no nonsense wont offer much in attack

Really good game tonight and when you have tav playing like he did tonight you don’t need much support from the left back

But the football gurus on FF have already said we need to play our best 11 no matter what and it's just not good enough signing boys like Jones from shite like Kilmarnock yadda yadda yadda

It's a squad game and our squad is much much stronger right now than it was last season

Starting 11s win games

Squads win trophies

I’m ok with having Flanagan playing there. If he has a wide player in front of him. If it’s a narrow forward in front of the full back then it must be Barisic at LB

I agree. Works well with Flanagan if you are not looking for an overlap

Flanagan seems to play in games where we expect to be put under pressure, i still think Barisic plays most weeks

Hats off to him tonight, playing Jones with Flannigan in behind was what a call, allowed Jones to get forward with not having to go overboard with defensive duties knowing he had a solid option behind him that wouldn't get forward beyond him
Flanagan !

Flanagan kicks folk, Barasic doesn't and that I'm afraid is the difference.
Flanno for me all day long at LB and he proved that end of last season.

I’ve had the fear about our left side since Sunday

A lot stronger with flano an Jones

Hope they build on it an form a strong partnership

Jones should have started at kilmarnock- he would have ripped them apart.
I like flanagan as he is hard and doesnt hang back, we need that especially in the SPL.
Yet again barisic is not trusted, flanagan for left back with halliday as back up.
Sell barisic asap.

Flanagan for Euro aways and top 3 league aways. Halliday all other league games. Barasic for plastic pitches and Euro homes until QF and SF revert to Flanagan by which point we'll have ditched Borna in Jan window.

Or something like that. The above is why I have trust in SG.

Has anyone said how that was JF first game back since having surgery yet?

He was brilliant! I've said i think he is our best LB and that game last night proves it imo.

Flanno was really good last night, some good challenges and composure in possession, one lovely pass inside where he sold two of their players & got us going forward from halfway.
Not sure what happened at the 2nd goal in particular, maybe just overload by the Danes created the space ?

It was straight out the Walter Smith playbook. Player not played for a while brought in to do a job and does it well. If they had watched any of our games they've not seen Flanno play, so a bit of a curveball.

Flanno was really good last night, some good challenges and composure in possession, one lovely pass inside where he sold two of their players & got us going forward from halfway.
Not sure what happened at the 2nd goal in particular, maybe just overload by the Danes created the space ?

That pass to Jack was immense!

Hats off to him tonight, playing Jones with Flannigan in behind was what a call, allowed Jones to get forward with not having to go overboard with defensive duties knowing he had a solid option behind him that wouldn't get forward beyond him

It's the perfect left hand combination if we're looking to play fast, counter attacking football.

Jones certainly proved his worth in that formation last night and Flanagan is his defensive insurance policy.

Said it the other day,the reports that most of the danger from the Danes came down their right meant Flannigan needed to play.He simply won't allow anyone to get the better of him easily.He hurts players when he tackles and he lets them know it.

Back