Gerrard post match interview

Points on the board will always be better than games in hand.

We’re top of the league and I’d rather be in that position than Celtic’s.

Unfortunately some people, especially you get what they deserve.
Me, I just shake my head at attitudes like yours.
Instead of 'shaking your head at people like me' you could offer a constructive suggestion about what Rangers should do. Because I'm sure they've considered all the angles and found that bitching about officials is ineffective against outright corruption. Have you got any better ideas?

He will drop Helander and keep his two ”captains” in the team.
Both were to blame for the second goal tav jumped over the ball instead of going for it and let the guy turn and get across our goal face, defending at its worst but still one more goal against a Diddy team and he is captain marvel again.

If it happens again and again at critical times then I think it’s a fair criticism against the team.

Critical times? Was today critical in the context of the season? Was Livingston?

No.

The fact is, it just gets trotted out every single time we drop points regardless of the circumstances, because people are just in a big cream puff that we didn't win.

And yet every outfield player who that statement was aimed at started today?
Critical times? Was today critical in the context of the season? Was Livingston?

No.

The fact is, it just gets trotted out every single time we drop points regardless of the circumstances, because people are just in a big cream puff that we didn't win.

Well they all mount up and it's why we are trophyless.

Imagine being in a cream puff after yet another tedious performance and poor result.

Happens too often under Gerrard. Couldn't put a run of winning games together if his managerial career depended on it.

And to think the talk on here a few weeks ago was going all these points ahead and putting pressure on the bheggars. We are 1 ahead having played a game more.

Same old pish.

No.

Sorry, I disagree. Livingston was after they dropped points v Kilmarnock. Chance to put daylight between us. Passed up. And today gives them an advantage with the game in hand. These are critical results. You could argue today even more so with Motherwell and Celtic away coming up.

Well they all mount up and it's why we are trophyless.

Imagine being in a cream puff after yet another tedious performance and poor result.

Happens too often under Gerrard. Couldn't put a run of winning games together if his managerial career depended on it.

And to think the talk on here a few weeks ago was going all these points ahead and putting pressure on the bheggars. We are 1 ahead having played a game more.

Same old pish.

Correct

We didnt win today but it wasn't because we lack bottle.

SG got his subs totally wrong and the balance of the team went to pot. Kent had an off day while Hagi was coming on to a game when he was subbed.

Then theres the missed chances, Goldsons brainfart & of course... the Ref
Hagi was as poor as everyone else.
We had 2 gilt edged chances and missed them. Sometimes these things happen. I agree with you that bottle was not the issue. A week full of travelling, training disruption etc did not help.
For what it's worth, I think we need a midfielder that can up the pace of the game, we are far too pedestrian at times when we need urgency.
For all that Stuart McCall was not technically the best, he grabbed the game and played it at a good pace - we need that now.

We had 2 gilt edged chances and missed them. Sometimes these things happen. I agree with you that bottle was not the issue. A week full of travelling, training disruption etc did not help.
For what it's worth, I think we need a midfielder that can up the pace of the game, we are far too pedestrian at times when we need urgency.
For all that Stuart McCall was not technically the best, he grabbed the game and played it at a good pace - we need that now.
How long have we been saying that for regarding a midfielder now?

Respectfully disagree ref Hagi mate.

I thought the lad was our best creative outlet in the second half.

Respectfully disagree ref Hagi mate.

I thought the lad was our best creative outlet in the second half.

He was growing in confidence after his assist. Prior to that he was non existent.

Morelos, Kamara, Arfield or Davis could easily have been taken off before Hagi.

Defoe or Hagi alongside Morelos that has barely ever world was poor management.

Season after season the same 2 players keep making costly mistakes yet never ever get dropped thats the problem until it gets addressed this will happen a few times a year sick to death of these false dawns

He was growing in confidence after his assist. Prior to that he was non existent.

Morelos, Kamara, Arfield or Davis could easily have been taken off before Hagi.

Defoe or Hagi alongside Morelos that has barely ever world was poor management.
I thought it was a stinking decision mate

I asked someone earlier what crunch games we'd won in last few seasons and he didn't answer.

The last 2 seasons?

Celtic at home. Celtic away. The Hearts semi final given all the questions surrounding that. Hibs away last season when they were playing well and we destroyed them.

Was Aberdeen in the first game this season a "crunch game"? It was being talked about as one when announced.

Maribor. Ufa. Porto. Feyenoord. Legia. All crunch games and huge results as well.

There's been plenty of positives as well. However, I don't think you can judge a season until it's done. You can question the way the last couple have went, but that doesn't mean it's definitely happening this time around.

Three seasons in and Gerrard is still struggling to make game defining changes.

He's tactically weak and naive.

This.

Good managers do things within games to change them he just doesn't have that at all.

His Subs are horrendous and have been since day 1 I remember back then folk used to say he's learning well im not sure he's ever going to learn.

Itten at 86 was just wrong, it wasted time if nothing else absolutely mental.

I asked someone earlier what crunch games we'd won in last few seasons and he didn't answer.
Strangle it’s been old firm games and a good spell before Xmas last year. We have done it but all too often we have capitulations from winning positions like today that cost us.

I didn’t say yh

Not sure what you mean. Yes I think this team lacks bottle. I think they showed it post Jan last year. I think they showed it in the league cup final and I think they showed it today.
Well, for me, this is absolute tripe.
We battered that team in every measure you can think of, other than scoring, and you’re suggesting we lacked bottle?
Okay, that’s enough from me if that’s what I’m having to argue against.

This, this and this again.
Don‘t forget the “mentality” thing as well.
It’s a nonsense.
It’s not nonsense. We are good at getting ourselves into good positions in games and in the league. We are terrible at getting good results at the end when it counts. It happens too often to be simply coincidence or bad luck. It is because the players simply don’t have the self-belief or winning mentality to turn losses into draws or draws into wins. They make stupid mistakes when under pressure and throw away points when we can least afford it. Today is a perfect example- stupid defensive errors and wasting easy goal scoring chances and we drop points in the same weekend as they draw level with us at the top of the league. You can bleat about bad luck as much as you want (if you like) or say “on another day we bury those chances (ignoring that this mythical “other day” never seems to materialise), today wasn’t about luck it was about the players and management not being good enough to win when it counts, which is something we have seen so often over the last 2 years.

The last 2 seasons?

Celtic at home. Celtic away. The Hearts semi final given all the questions surrounding that. Hibs away last season when they were playing well and we destroyed them.

Was Aberdeen in the first game this season a "crunch game"? It was being talked about as one when announced.

Maribor. Ufa. Porto. Feyenoord. Legia. All crunch games and huge results as well.

There's been plenty of positives as well. However, I don't think you can judge a season until it's done. You can question the way the last couple have went, but that doesn't mean it's definitely happening this time around.

Surely you know by now that on FF a 'crunch game' is only a 'crunch game' if we fail to win it

Well, for me, this is absolute tripe.
We battered that team in every measure you can think of, other than scoring, and you’re suggesting we lacked bottle?
Okay, that’s enough from me if that’s what I’m having to argue against.

And we lost...call it bottle, being a winner. Whatever you want. All too often we come up short when it matters. Today is another example.

And it doesn’t have to be an argument.

The only conclusion I've come to is that the only way to keep our support happy is to win 38 games out of 38. Simple really, cant believe we haven't thought of this sooner.
Of course we will drop points over the season, we're going to lose at least a couple of matches at some point i'm sure. The issue is when we do it, it's almost always within a week or two of the tims either dropping points or putting pressure back onto us. If a freak result happened when we were 6 points ahead of them in December people would be a lot more rational but we can never actually get those types of gaps because as soon as they do drop points this squad of players will be more than happy to let them off the hook, they can't handle the pressure of being on top.

It’s not nonsense. We are good at getting ourselves into good positions in games and in the league. We are terrible at getting good results at the end when it counts. It happens too often to be simply coincidence or bad luck. It is because the players simply don’t have the self-belief or winning mentality to turn losses into draws or draws into wins. They make stupid mistakes when under pressure and throw away points when we can least afford it. Today is a perfect example- stupid defensive errors and wasting easy goal scoring chances and we drop points in the same weekend as they draw level with us at the top of the league. You can bleat about bad luck as much as you want (if you like) or say “on another day we bury those chances (ignoring that this mythical “other day” never seems to materialise), today wasn’t about luck it was about the players and management not being good enough to win when it counts, which is something we have seen so often over the last 2 years.
You’ll find I have not excuse the players for any part of this.
I have not blamed luck or even the referees.
The players made the mistakes, as did Gerrard with his substitutions and the officials with their shocking decision making and non-decision making.
What I’m saying, what I’m adamant about, is that this is not bottle or a mentality problem.

McCall would cost £20m these days.

You’ll find I have not excuse the players for any part of this.
I have not blamed luck or even the referees.
The players made the mistakes, as did Gerrard with his substitutions and the officials with their shocking decision making and non-decision making.
What I’m saying, what I’m adamant about, is that this is not bottle or a mentality problem.
What is the problem then? Are we simply not good enough to beat the likes of Hibs? Player by player we are miles ahead of them. Plus, it is no coincidence that we have bad performances every time we have the chance to consolidate a good position in the league. That’s so obviously a failure in mentality that it’s impossible to argue intelligently against it.

New season same sheite using the same players using the same tactics and making the same mistakes.

There might be a pattern emerging here but I just can't see it.

I've noticed this a few times with him, it means more to punters and people in the game south of the border, not impressed with Gerrard at all and I will say this again I will be stunned if he makes it as a manager, far too loyal to certain players, can't see a change is required and when he does its too late, hagi was needing hooked at ht then started the second better and guess what he hooks him very poor decision making, I'm going to be harsh but fair, if he walked tomorrow I wouldn't bother too much, I don't see us winning 55 with him at the helm, I pray I've got that wrong
I’m in the same boat pal. If Gerrard doesn’t succeed at Rangers & lift a title I think sticking with C.Goldson as his first name on team sheet will cost us titles. Too inconsistent...ok he will have a strong game without daft mistakes but when it’s really tight he has a nightmare.

I totally agree regard Hagi...he was poor first half but started turning the screw in 2nd half & set up our 2nd goal then he hooks him for Defoe. I’ve nothing against JD but it shows you what he thinks of young Itten when he puts a 37/38 yr old on before him. I couldn’t believe we even went in level at HT...shows how piss poor Hibs are.

Frustrating as nothing has changed as mentioned.

How come?

People are awfully good at making comments with nothing to back them up.
We didn't draw today because we were naive tactically. You speak as if Gerrard looks bewildered in games, and yet his post match comments are mostly always spot on. We have also got a good late goals record under Gerrard. I've seen a better second half performance than first half in many games, only last week that was the case. Gerrard has held his own more often than not on some big games.

We didn't draw today because we were naive tactically. You speak as if Gerrard looks bewildered in games, and yet his post match comments are mostly always spot on. We have also got a good late goals record under Gerrard. I've seen a better second half performance than first half in many games, only last week that was the case. Gerrard has held his own more often than not on some big games.

With all due respect post match comments are easy to make, anyone can do it, he could easily be sitting in a studio as a pundit and his post game remarks could be spot on there too.

Where a manager earns his corn is being able to be astute in the heat of the moment during the game, it's no use to us having someone who can speak a good game when its done and we've dropped points.

Gerrard has still to prove he can cut the mustard in the domestic Scottish scene and making subs and tactical changes during the game is a huge aspect of that, where he has been found wanting more often than not when it matters most.

He said on Sky we have a Big Game on Thursday

that annoys me its like that's all that's in his head we had a bigger game today Steven and bottled it AGAIN
Bottled it? Sorry but that is just not true we had chances and in some cases were unlucky!

No.
How did we bottle it?
That’s what happened and what the seers on here expect to happen.
My question, simply, how did we bottle it.
What is being used as evidence of this?
What is the difference between losing a game and being outplayed?
Is every game we lose, or draw, because of

Okay, I’m no psychologist, are you?
Anyway if I were to ask “if the players lacked bottle, how were so many chances created?”
AND
“If it were bottle, how did we get ahead?”
Would you have answers?
I am scratching my head at this bottled it thing too? Maybe they meant never took advantage of the moment? Certainly doesn't fit the description of what I watched today!

Not sure there is any point in Steve G doing interviews when we don't win. Some fans are intent on finding things wrong with whatever he says.
Could you imagine if he didn't?

They'd be champing at the bit to tell us he's a shitebags, heart of a mouse, soft, just like his 'captains', just get him tae fućk and wheel out Walter, or McInnes or never mind its no our job to say who should replace etc.

They're not fans. They're 19th Century Terrorists.

With all due respect post match comments are easy to make, anyone can do it, he could easily be sitting in a studio as a pundit and his post game remarks could be spot on there too.

Where a manager earns his corn is being able to be astute in the heat of the moment during the game, it's no use to us having someone who can speak a good game when its done and we've dropped points.

Gerrard has still to prove he can cut the mustard in the domestic Scottish scene and making subs and tactical changes during the game is a huge aspect of that, where he has been found wanting more often than not when it matters most.
He has made tactical changes plenty of times. A vivid one was the December 2018 when he faced down a Rodgers tactical change in the second half of that game- for a part of the second half our midfield weakened and he brought off Candeias and brought on Coulibaly, totally taking away their ascendancy; he also deployed Halliday and Kent down their right side in that game. I could go looking for more, but the easy one would be to suggest that his European record speaks for itself and proves my point anyway.

The last 2 seasons?

You talk far too much sense.

Back